Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:17 pm 

You can always screen print your own patches too! Once you make the initial few purchases you can run off infinite patches for basically nothing.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:22 pm 

Huh?? I know nothing about this stuff so excuse my ignorance but what's screen printing and how does one do go about it?

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:43 pm 

Screen printing is the printing method used to make a lot of printed fabric material. You use a fabric mesh stretched in a frame, that has your design blocked out on it. Basically, you fill in the screen anywhere you dont want to print, and leave it open where you do. Then its just a matter of pulling ink through it and your design is printed on whatever is underneath.
Spoiler: show

In this photo the green area is where the screen is blocked off and the yellow is where they've pulled ink through onto whatever substrate is underneath. It sounds complicated, but you can buy ready made screens and there are basic methods for transferring your image onto the screen. (aka no drawing/artistic skill required) If you want more info just look it up or feel free to PM me. I've screen printed a lot of patches.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:48 pm 

That's actually pretty awesome. It seems like far too much work for my lazy ass though, I'm much more of a pay someone to do it for me kinda guy. But if all else fails then I can fall back on this (or at least attempt to). I really like the print that was being made too, damn funny.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:26 pm 

Yeah, if you go back a page you can see some of the ones I did recently. Currently working on putting them on my jacket.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:01 pm 

Here's a tutorial that went around last week on the basics of screenprinting: http://imgur.com/a/CzgsB

Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:09 pm 

Looks good! I would recommend buying a premade screen though, so that its stretched properly.

Sea Wolf
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:49 am 

Necroghast wrote:
Looks good! I would recommend buying a premade screen though, so that its stretched properly.

Most of the patches on my jacket came from a round of screen printing I had done with screens borrowed from a friend, so I fully endorse the screen printing idea. :) The printed patches on my jacket are Altar of Plagues (back patch), Absu (back patch), Agalloch, Drudkh, Moonsorrow and Taake. I sold a couple of the screen printed patched because I already had embroidered versions. I kept a bunch of others I wasn't going to use, which was a good thing because said friend's battle jacket got stolen at a fest. After that, it became a running joke for him to say "You stole my jacket!" every time he saw me wearing my battle jacket haha.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:38 am 

Screen printing's fine and good, but I can never be bothered to save up for the necessary equipment (the closest I've come is buying one of those Speedball kits with a pre-made screen and all the necessary inks, fluids and [crappy] squeegee when I found it on sale), or to try to build a crappy exposing table that I'll probably screw up anyway. Furthermore, some designs I just prefer to have embroidered (namely that version of the Sparks logo I made a mock-up of).

That's not to say I haven't found my own cheap work-around solutions by way of fanatic devotional trances in which I've cut out and spot-inked my own paper stencils by hand. They look, uh, "rustic" (to put it politely), but they are truly one-of-a-kind, and I can appreciate the time, effort and obsession that went into making them, even if I think a proper screen print (or in some cases, embroidered patch) would look a lot better. I don't suspect I'll ever be replacing any of them.

Mortado
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:16 pm 

My jacket. Main patch is custom embroidered (a friend got it done for me from my design while he was in Afghanistan) and the super bowl patches (each of the Seahawks appearances) were obtained off Ebay. Patch was done with approval from band and the signatures are theirs. Hoping to get some Seahawks to sign it as well but their signing sessions are generally ridiculously expensive.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:32 pm 

Awesome patch, I've definitely seen you around at shows!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:32 pm 

Hahaha that is one of the most fantastically odd juxtapositions I've ever seen on a jacket/vest. I dig it man. Let your freak flag flag and all that.

Huge Inquisition fan. They're so good. I saw them in Chicago and the sound was kind of lame but man they were powerful in spite.

666Emperor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:00 pm 

I haven't posted my jackets or vests here in a long time. Besides these I have also third denim jacket and a leather vest. I didn't find any pics of those, but if you guys wish I can take some. Anyway...

The denim jacket I use almost every day:

My denim vest:

And my Darkthrone tribute jacket:

EDIT: Forgot to add third photo of the denim vest.

Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:58 pm 

Hey guys, I've got a lot of patches that I'm not going to use so I was wondering if anyone was interested in trading? Almost all of them I've printed myself so I'd rather not sell/make a profit on them. All are screen printed white on black fabric and of average size unless otherwise noted. They are:

Arsaidh (Blue, large but not quite back patch size)
Lantlos
Irminsul
Horn
Alda
Infera Bruo (Silver)
Sinmara (Medium, red)
Mispyrming (Medium, red)
Portal (Medium, red)
Carpe Noctem (Red)
Thrall (Red)
Austere
Fen (Small)
Amesoeurs
Cormorant
Altar of Plagues
Coldworld
Dordeduh
Nest
Askival
Negura Bunget (small)
Les Discrets
Alcest
Cnoc An Tursa
Turbid North

Looking for maybe a DSO or BAN patch or similar bands for the jacket I'm currently putting together. PM me if interested!

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:38 pm 

I don't think I've posted this vest on here before. For some reason it doesn't look as dirty in pictures as it does in actuality.

I'm unsure wether I'll ever be quite finished with it. I keep adding and removing patches. Currently I'm looking for a cool Armored Saint patch and a Liege Lord patch, but I don't think I've ever seen either.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:17 am 

I just got one of these Diocletian bomber jackets tonight, click for more photos

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:14 pm 

Made a new vest last month

untappd: patrick_g

~Guest 294530
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:25 am 

I've been reworking the entire front lately on mine.

And I still have all of these to put on, aside from that Venom patch, cause I got the same one on the back.

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:56 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:
I just got one of these Diocletian bomber jackets tonight, click for more photos

Sucks they're split up, but at least they left on a deadly note. Kudos to you Dread for being one of the lucky 33 that has that sweet jacket.

Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:05 pm 

Finished some updates on mine. Screen printed a bunch of custom patches. I'm going to get either a Scottish flag patch to go with the Orkney flag, Or an Icelandic flag to go with most of the bands. Thoughts?

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:32 pm 

Pretty cool news: Peter Beste is currently shooting photos for a book focusing on battle jackets. He's currently touring the States and asking people to spread the word. He's in Seattle Oct 6 & 7. Not sure where he's going after but he's updating his movements on his facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/peter.beste

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:52 am 

narsilianshard wrote:
Pretty cool news: Peter Beste is currently shooting photos for a book focusing on battle jackets. He's currently touring the States and asking people to spread the word. He's in Seattle Oct 6 & 7. Not sure where he's going after but he's updating his movements on his facebook page.

Met him when he was in LA, he's a pretty cool guy. Bought one of his books, True Norwegian Black Metal. Can't believe I'm going to be in a book :-D

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:46 am 

Dooders wrote:
dreadmeat wrote:

Sucks they're split up, but at least they left on a deadly note. Kudos to you Dread for being one of the lucky 33 that has that sweet jacket.
Yeah man they went out with a bang for sure!
Apparently there are only 3 or 4 in NZ even, so the rest must be in the US

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:46 pm 

TheMysticWombat wrote:
narsilianshard wrote:

Met him when he was in LA, he's a pretty cool guy. Bought one of his books, True Norwegian Black Metal. Can't believe I'm going to be in a book :-D

He's now permanently living in Portland and finishing up the book. Said he still wants as many people to hit him up as possible so everyone should go for it if they're in the area. Here he is shooting my jacket, pretty awesome experience.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:57 am 

Ha ha that's awesome :thumbsup:

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:20 pm 

Pretty fucking cool, narsilianshard! I'll definitely try to get this book once it's out.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:57 am 

Me too. Never got around to getting his previous, but I'll definitely be getting this one.

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:43 pm 

Rummaging in the closet, knocked over a bucket that turned out to have the remnants of my high school era metal pin collection. Needless to say this was before I was too into the heavy stuff -- and apparently when I had a resistance to diversifying my band reppin'. I no longer have the artifact upon which all this crap (and more) hung, however: a gray stone washed denim jacket with a Creatures of the Night back patch. I had two buddies who also had KISS back patches, and we were, as you might expect, dorks.

I'm guessing I was the only person to have a fucking MSG Perfect Timing pin. But gimme your love a break, it was 1988 and I was fifteen. I was soon to transition to Maiden, Venom, King Diamond, and Death, which would lead to much better taste. At least I was into WASP!

Bonus close-up of Alice, which I may have gotten on the ... Trash tour?

edit: I see this thread title every day and yet I thought it was somewhere in the Tavern. Brilliant.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:59 pm 

Yeah nice, don't see many big old school badges these days, the 3" diameter ones!?

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:16 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:
Yeah nice, don't see many big old school badges these days, the 3" diameter ones!?

Camera must be exaggerating their size; the biggest ones, those square KISS ones, are like 1 1/2" x 1 1/2". Though I have noticed that pins have gotten smaller over the years: every once in a while a distro or band will throw in some tiny pins and I can barely even see the logos. They are not designed for us old people.

halfformedfetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:48 am 

I just got my leather jacket back, a free lance artist (same lady who did my Dissection vest) painted this for me, it does have a shiny finish because of the layers of protector she put on it
this is my favorite death metal album

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:12 am 

halfformedfetus wrote:
I just got my leather jacket back, a free lance artist (same lady who did my Dissection vest) painted this for me, it does have a shiny finish because of the layers of protector she put on it
this is my favorite death metal album

Holy shit dude, that looks amazing

halfformedfetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:33 am 

Thanks man, she did an amazing job! I am really happy with it, this will only be worn on special occasions ha ha

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:16 am 

Any reason you left off the album name?
I like the 'artistic license' with the logo :p
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Immolation/Here_in_After/813

One day hopefully they will play down this way somewhere, I heard a rumour just before Majesty And Decay came out they were playing here...

laxskinn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:50 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:
Any reason you left off the album name?
I like the 'artistic license' with the logo :p
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Immolation/Here_in_After/813

One day hopefully they will play down this way somewhere, I heard a rumour just before Majesty And Decay came out they were playing here...

I like the changes they did. I'm not a big fan of merch from just one specific album. Here he gets the cool artwork without unnecessary text. It also looks better with the logo centered on a jacket imo.

halfformedfetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:49 pm 

Yeah i was never keen on the placement of the logo on Here In After, it felt like a strange place. But for the purpose of the jacket and me personally i told the artist to centralize the logo. As for the album name your right Laxskinn, i asked her to leave it out so it does not draw away from the art, anyone who knows Immolation will know what album it is, and if they dont it wont matter. Its my favorite dm album and in my opinion the best dm album ever made (followed by Dawn of possesion and Onward to Golgotha :-P :wink: ) I agree Dreadmeat i would love them to do an Aus/NZ tour, i still have not seen them live but its on my bucket list.

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:48 pm 

I know it's been a little bit since anyone posted on this thread but I recently finished my patch jacket as well as three hoodies that I put patches on so I figured I would share. I'll post them separately and I'll start with my main patch vest:

Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:52 pm 

My Dissection 'Storm of the Light's Bane' Hoodie:

Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:54 pm 

My Red Black Dahlia Murder Hoodie:

Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:56 pm 

And Lastly, my (mostly) Folk/Pagan Metal Korpiklaani Hoodie: