Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
latinfiestacarnage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:54 pm 

I just listen to metal because I like it. If it's not mainstream, so be it. If people make fun of me for being a metalhead, then so be it, I know I like the music

latinfiestacarnage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:59 pm 

I just listen to metal because I like it. If it's not mainstream, so be it. If people make fun of me for being a metalhead, then so be it, I know I like the music

Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:03 pm 

Any particular reason you posted that 6 times?

latinfiestacarnage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:04 pm 

I apologize for that, my internet kind of fucked up there, and I couldn't delete them cause people posted right after.

OlioTheSmall
Handsome (marsupial) Beast

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:12 pm 

Hjorlejf wrote:
OlioTheSmall wrote:
Expedience wrote:
Of course it would be different. Whether or not something is frowned upon in a particular society depends on its popularity. Take alcohol and tobacco. We know both cause more deaths than all illegal drugs combined, but they are accepted because so many use them.

To be fair, more deaths occur due to legal drugs than illegal ones, because they are legal.

Not true, marijuana has yet to kill a single person in thousands of years of use. Legality would not change that.

I find that highly questionable. I'm sorry, but I'm not inclined to believe that without a credible source.

- Tim Minchin

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:21 pm 

Metal already has been exploited like rap and pop, albeit not to the extent of those two genres. There is a lot of very commercial metal out there that sucks pretty hard but the mainstream eats it up. However, like all genres there is still a very prominent underground scene, keeping the quality sounds of the metal genre alive. If more people listened to it, nothing would change. This dynamic would still persist only on a larger scale.

Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:32 pm 

OlioTheSmall wrote:

I find that highly questionable. I'm sorry, but I'm not inclined to believe that without a credible source.

Marijuana is less addicting and less harmful to your body than Alcohol or tobacco.

OlioTheSmall

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:44 pm 

Avaddons_blood wrote:
OlioTheSmall wrote:

Marijuana is less addicting and less harmful to your body than Alcohol or tobacco.

That's not what I heard. Marijuana is supposed to have more toxins in it than cigarettes (but then again, you don't smoke it as much). At least that's what they're teaching in schools. I have to admit heresay, as I was told that by someone in the PDHPE course at school, that I don't take. The girl that told me is very smart and reliable and is not likely to mix up her facts, however.

Either way, we're getting quite off topic.

- Tim Minchin

Funeral_Shadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:28 pm 

To the OP,

Metal, like many other musical cultures like hip-hop and rock, is not and will not become a past time culture. The mainstream might make it a past time thing like they did with disco and jazz, but true cultures strive when not in light of the whole world watching them. So metal is not, and will never go away because it's become an underground phenomenon like hip-hop once was. The mainstream has exploited metal fully, but do you see "true" metalheads turning their cheek away from the music?

In general, things that are subculture will sooner or later be "discovered" by the dirty face of the mainstream to mangle and use for money. If you all of a sudden begin to not like the music because it's "mainstream", then it shows you just were in it because it wasn't popular, therefore not fulling grasping the cultural ideal of the music. Music is for enjoyment, and if you focus too much on who likes it, then you just aren't that true of a music fan... you just follow a trend. Not that I'm saying you directly do, but in general, people just don't get what music really is about.

So you shouldn't be too concerned with what people think because in the end, the masses are asses... what do they really know?

My eBay page which usually has rare OOP metal shirts and CD's: Click Here

BardInTheForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:30 pm 

OlioTheSmall wrote:
Avaddons_blood wrote:
OlioTheSmall wrote:

That's not what I heard. Marijuana is supposed to have more toxins in it than cigarettes (but then again, you don't smoke it as much). At least that's what they're teaching in schools. I have to admit heresay, as I was told that by someone in the PDHPE course at school, that I don't take. The girl that told me is very smart and reliable and is not likely to mix up her facts, however.

The original topic is basically the same thing that's been discussed about a million times and every time those threads end up getting locked because it's already been discussed.

Yeah, individually, a joint will have more "toxins" than a cigarette because it isn't filtered. However, since marijuana isn't physically addicting like tobacco, people generally smoke much less of it. A pack a day will fill your lungs a lot more quickly than a joint a day (and a joint a day is pretty excessive for pot use).

However, I absolutely hate both.

Lyrici17
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:45 pm 

Hjorlejf wrote:
OlioTheSmall wrote:
Expedience wrote:
Of course it would be different. Whether or not something is frowned upon in a particular society depends on its popularity. Take alcohol and tobacco. We know both cause more deaths than all illegal drugs combined, but they are accepted because so many use them.

To be fair, more deaths occur due to legal drugs than illegal ones, because they are legal.

Not true, marijuana has yet to kill a single person in thousands of years of use. Legality would not change that.

I not overly familiar with Canadian law, but I'm pretty confidant that there are lots of drugs that are illegal other than Marijuana....

KingVold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:48 pm 

OlioTheSmall wrote:
Avaddons_blood wrote:
OlioTheSmall wrote:

That's not what I heard. Marijuana is supposed to have more toxins in it than cigarettes (but then again, you don't smoke it as much). At least that's what they're teaching in schools. I have to admit heresay, as I was told that by someone in the PDHPE course at school, that I don't take. The that told me is very smart and reliable and is not likely to mix up her facts, however.

Its half and half. Straight tobacco inst that bad for you, but the other stuff in cigarettes is by far worse for you than pot. Pot does supposedly have far more carcinogens however. despite this, I have not heard of anyone who got lung cancer from pot.

AppleQueso wrote:
Acidgobblin wrote:
I refuse to listen to a genre using an onamatapoeiac descriptor.

Motion to change "Death Metal" to "EEURRRGHHH"

White_Witch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:17 am 

Anthelnor wrote:
in fact when I was younger, and just got into it, I would be reluctant to let people I just met listen to my Ipod, in fear of any criticism I might get.

Fuck! That must've been ages ago.

profitsfrompoison
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:09 am 

i would like to know where the statistic of 3% of the population listens to metal came from.

if thats true. wowwwww

bladerunnerblues
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:17 am 

Dolf9271986 wrote:
Hey guys. I have recently been thinking about how the Earth looks at Metal. Metal of the heavier and less-tolerant side is usually frowned upon, and disliked by many people, including self-proclaimed metal-heads. I have to wonder... Is that a good thing? I mean, if Metal were exploited, like hip-hop and pop, would we still listen to it? Or would we view it like we view rap now? If this were the case, would we listen to rap instead? Is the liking of Metal, to some people, just a way to rebel? Maybe. To me, I see it as something else entirely, and I was wondering what you all thought on the subject? Do you see Metal as something like a cultural pass-time? Right now, we are less than 3% of the population, the rest, 97%, either listen to other music or none at all. We are but a platoon VS. an Empire. But, what do you think the scenes would look like if we were 10%? What about 20% or 30? Or, 1%, or 0.5%? How do you think things will have changed? Do you think they will have been changed at all or a lot?

There is nothing,and I mean nothing,that would make me listen to rap instead of metal.

OlioTheSmall

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:29 am 

BardInTheForest wrote:
OlioTheSmall wrote:
Avaddons_blood wrote:
OlioTheSmall wrote:

The original topic is basically the same thing that's been discussed about a million times and every time those threads end up getting locked because it's already been discussed.

Yeah, individually, a joint will have more "toxins" than a cigarette because it isn't filtered. However, since marijuana isn't physically addicting like tobacco, people generally smoke much less of it. A pack a day will fill your lungs a lot more quickly than a joint a day (and a joint a day is pretty excessive for pot use).

However, I absolutely hate both.

Agreed, you are spot on with your facts there. However, all I was trying to say originally, is that legal drugs (cigarettes and alcohol) kill more people because they are legal. I never intended to start a whole thing about marijuana. :|

- Tim Minchin

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:31 am 

There has never been a single case of death or cancer caused solely by marijuana, and many people have smoked it for centuries. And quite a lot of those people smoke it every day too, just as much or more than people who smoke cigarettes.

Just thought everyone should know this.

Anyway, yes back on topic please.

Dolf9271986
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:33 am 

profitsfrompoison wrote:
i would like to know where the statistic of 3% of the population listens to metal came from.

if thats true. wowwwww

I read it on a survey that was done by some magazine a while ago. I couldn't believe it either, brother.

Tea_and_Crumpets wrote:
screamingstatue wrote:
I've always maintained that St Anger is actually a very good song.

ST ANGER ROUNDDD MA NECKKKA. HE NEVA' GETTS RESPECTT!

saintinhell
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:34 am 

profitsfrompoison wrote:

if thats true. wowwwww

I'd be surprised if 3% of world population can be called passionate fans of music in the first place. Of course, if the Dark Continent, Asia and all don't exist for the purposes of world population, it's different. But even then, people don't realize what a minority of people are really interested in music.

profitsfrompoison
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:10 am 

it always suprises me to meet someone who isnt that into music, or when asked what kind theyre into, they reply " i dont really listen to music"

i just dont get it. i wouldnt be here without music. i listen to it every hour of every day, and all of my friends all love music too.

i know alot of people have that kind of view on music, but i just dont see how thats possible

InfernoxDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:36 am 

Why bother what the world thinks? Fact is, Metal is a genre in the music industry just like any others... It's about preferance. If you love what you listen, simply just enjoy it.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2