Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:45 pm 

I read Metal Maniacs whenever I get the chance. I have also delved into BW&BK on occasion, and have enjoyed it as well.

I'm contemplating getting a subscription to Metal Maniacs, but I have school to spend money on, so it'll probably have to wait. I enjoy the Firing Squad section (reviews of unsigned band's albums/demos), but the last issue I got didn't have it, saying the regular writer for it would be back soon.

latinfiestacarnage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:13 pm 

Yeah I really enjoy Terrorizer and the CD sampler is a bonus too.

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:32 pm 

I have been a Metal Maniacs subscriber for... 6 maybe 7 years? I do enjoy their magazine a great deal and they cover an excellent amount of material. I particularly enjoy Nathan T Birk's underground black metal section and the demo reviews. the Zine and not Heard is also awesome though recently, I find the trend is leading away from written and more towards webzines which I can't say I approve of. Their coverage is really excellent though and I read an interview with Fenriz last issue that was particularly excellent. It really gave a good bit of depth into the mind of this genius.

Zero Tolerance I have also subscribed to since issue 2. I enjoy the writing and the focus on some of the lesser known fridge stuff like power electronics and industrial and neo-folk. I am still a poster on ZT's forum though I have been spending most of my time here watching over my trade list. Oddly enough, I think that it's funny to see Nathan T Birk's articles in ZT because more times than not, he is talking about bands he has already written about in Metal Maniacs (or vise versa).

Other than that, I do purchase random stuff sometimes and I have other mags sitting around at home also including some issues of Music For Nations and The Grimoire of Exalted Deeds which, more than not, I find myself laughing flat out at. Zebub's interviews are one of a kind. I am thinking of a particular interview with Anal Cunt at the moment. I also have some rather terrible fanzines that are absolutely laughably written but I love them all the same. The love for the music is still there and for some people, doing a zine is the only way they feel they can contribute.

For obscure publications, I usually find them scattered on random label pages. I know that most labels do sell several here and there of varying quality. I think in most cases, you just gotta try your hand at a few until you find one that reviews material you like and just continue purchasing them. Ebay also occasionally has magazine lots.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2