Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:50 am
Posts: 4805
Location: Venestraya
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:15 am 
 

christian123 wrote:
If Opeth is killing metal, what are the NWoAHM doing?


Reconstructing motherfucker! Destroying fucking all that poser fucking shit and building some heavy fuckin' metal, YEAH!

Empyreal wrote:
Konig_ov_Hel wrote:
redeemerofchaos wrote:
Alexi is a faggot, COB, Dragonforce, and Opeth are killing metal.


I would have to say that Opeth is pushing the envelope and evolving their Progressive Metal roots... They are doing nothing to "kill" Metal, just helping it out.


Oh, please. They aren't killing metal, but if this is "evolving," then I'd rather be in the stone age.


Indeed, a*b=ab. So, what we have discovered is that I, along with Opeth, can do basic algebra. "Evolving" is getting a and adding a to make 2a, an evolution of a pre-existing idea, NOT getting a and multiplying it by b to make a clusterfuck of arse.

Top
 Profile  
christian123
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:02 am
Posts: 5
Location: India
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:36 am 
 

Bezerko wrote:
christian123 wrote:
If Opeth is killing metal, what are the NWoAHM doing?


Reconstructing motherfucker! Destroying fucking all that poser fucking shit and building some heavy fuckin' metal, YEAH!

Empyreal wrote:
Konig_ov_Hel wrote:
redeemerofchaos wrote:
Alexi is a faggot, COB, Dragonforce, and Opeth are killing metal.


I would have to say that Opeth is pushing the envelope and evolving their Progressive Metal roots... They are doing nothing to "kill" Metal, just helping it out.


Oh, please. They aren't killing metal, but if this is "evolving," then I'd rather be in the stone age.


Indeed, a*b=ab. So, what we have discovered is that I, along with Opeth, can do basic algebra. "Evolving" is getting a and adding a to make 2a, an evolution of a pre-existing idea, NOT getting a and multiplying it by b to make a clusterfuck of arse.



NWoAHM is reconstructing!! That is a news! I don't think except for LoG and Shadows Fall, there is any band that even remotely trying to re-construct heavy metal!!

Top
 Profile  
The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:34 am
Posts: 7741
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:42 am 
 

That's sarcasm, my good man. Might be worthwhile investing in a detector.
_________________
gomorro wrote:
Fortunately the seminar started and when it finished, I runed away like if Usain Bolt were about to rape me.

Top
 Profile  
christian123
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:02 am
Posts: 5
Location: India
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:50 am 
 

christian123 wrote:
Bezerko wrote:
christian123 wrote:
If Opeth is killing metal, what are the NWoAHM doing?


Reconstructing motherfucker! Destroying fucking all that poser fucking shit and building some heavy fuckin' metal, YEAH!

Empyreal wrote:
Konig_ov_Hel wrote:
redeemerofchaos wrote:
Alexi is a faggot, COB, Dragonforce, and Opeth are killing metal.


I would have to say that Opeth is pushing the envelope and evolving their Progressive Metal roots... They are doing nothing to "kill" Metal, just helping it out.


Oh, please. They aren't killing metal, but if this is "evolving," then I'd rather be in the stone age.


Indeed, a*b=ab. So, what we have discovered is that I, along with Opeth, can do basic algebra. "Evolving" is getting a and adding a to make 2a, an evolution of a pre-existing idea, NOT getting a and multiplying it by b to make a clusterfuck of arse.



NWoAHM is reconstructing!! That is a news! I don't think except for LoG and Shadows Fall, there is any band that even remotely trying to re-construct heavy metal!!



Add Trivium and DEP to that!!
DEP's mathcore is excellent!!

Top
 Profile  
CryptosGrimm
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:55 pm
Posts: 103
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:16 am 
 

How is Opeth killing metal?
_________________
www.myspace.com/thedreadlair
www.facebook.com/the.dread.lair
http://thedreadlair.vstore.ca

Top
 Profile  
Konig_ov_Hel
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:22 am
Posts: 487
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:45 am 
 

Empyreal wrote:
Konig_ov_Hel wrote:
redeemerofchaos wrote:
Alexi is a faggot, COB, Dragonforce, and Opeth are killing metal.


I would have to say that Opeth is pushing the envelope and evolving their Progressive Metal roots... They are doing nothing to "kill" Metal, just helping it out.


Oh, please. They aren't killing metal, but if this is "evolving," then I'd rather be in the stone age.


You have to come to understanding that they are a "progressive" band. They can pretty much do/make anything they want within their respective field of music, and they do it quite well.
_________________
Eurnonymous wrote:
Westboro Baptist Church: Making Dio fans fap hard for God since 2010.


My CD Collection (Not Complete)
http://www.metal-archives.com/usercol.p ... nig_ov_Hel

Top
 Profile  
Kruel
Veteran

Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:56 pm
Posts: 3426
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:49 am 
 

Konig_ov_Hel wrote:
You have to come to understanding that they are a "progressive" band. They can pretty much do/make anything they want within their respective field of music, and they do it quite well.
I hope this was sarcasm.
_________________
Quote:
So, Manes > Samael?
Quote:
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

Top
 Profile  
Marinos
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:00 am
Posts: 48
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:51 am 
 

Has anyone heard 'Are you dead yet?'

What kind of nigger music was that.
Ridiculous hipster garbage.

I only checked them out a week ago or so, first 3 albums seem good for homo melo-death, I didn't particularly like them, but it's reasonable for what it is. I still think they can't hold a candle to melo-death bands like Amon Amarth, Cenotaph, old At the Gates.

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 18594
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:18 am 
 

Konig_ov_Hel wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
Konig_ov_Hel wrote:
redeemerofchaos wrote:
Alexi is a faggot, COB, Dragonforce, and Opeth are killing metal.


I would have to say that Opeth is pushing the envelope and evolving their Progressive Metal roots... They are doing nothing to "kill" Metal, just helping it out.


Oh, please. They aren't killing metal, but if this is "evolving," then I'd rather be in the stone age.


You have to come to understanding that they are a "progressive" band. They can pretty much do/make anything they want within their respective field of music, and they do it quite well.


There's no doubt that the music they make is in the genre that many people mistakenly label as "prog," (although admittedly they do seem to use actual 70s prog elements, like the 70s prog bands did themselves) but I wouldn't say they do anything too well at all. They're not the worst band ever or anything, they just aren't top notch.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Curse of the Zodiac

Top
 Profile  
DenialFiend
Metalhead

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 12:15 pm
Posts: 886
Location: Greece
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:30 am 
 

redeemerofchaos wrote:
Alexi is a faggot, COB, Dragonforce, and Opeth are killing metal.
It's clear that you don't like them. It's ok for me.
But explain.
_________________
Want/Trade List

Top
 Profile  
LargeHadronCollider_
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:16 pm
Posts: 564
Location: Italy
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:27 am 
 

they suck, but the Britney Spears cover was hilarious LOL
_________________
Marag wrote:
Marquis de Sade was the pornogrind of the XVIII century.

Top
 Profile  
SRX
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:56 pm
Posts: 82
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:10 pm 
 

I think I have to admit to myself that I am a fanboy of CoB. I first listened to them a couple of years ago when I heard Follow The Reaper for the first time. I complete kicked my ass and I still hold it as one of the greatest albums of all time, or at least in the past couple of decades. I then checked out the rest of their discography, where Hatecrew Death Roll was excellent as well, Something Wild was killer, and Hatebreeder was underwhelming.

Are You Death Yet was fucking terrible though, and it is embarrasing to know songs like In Your Face are the most popular hits for the fans.

Blooddrunk showed me that not all was lost, it was not amazing and it still stuck with the newer sound but I felt the song writing improved and the the epic intensity creeped its way back in.

Top
 Profile  
Unholy_Asar
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:29 am
Posts: 574
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:02 pm 
 

Marinos wrote:
I still think they can't hold a candle to melo-death bands like Amon Amarth, Cenotaph, old At the Gates.


I'd answer that by saying that I'd never call COB melodic death metal. To me, power metal with harsch vocals seems like a much better description.

It still sucks bad though. I can't remember ever hearing any COB material that hasn't been awful. I don't even think their early stuff is good.

COB is a band that I just choose to ignore. I don't like them, and I never expect them to release anything good in their entire lives, so they could release what the fuck they want in my opinion. I'll just not listen to the cheese infested faggotry that they like to call "metal".
_________________
Nazhand wrote:
True Black Metal is NOT kind of Metal, that is a complete independent music so Nazhand believes "the name of music which is called Black Metal nowadays, should be changed to Blackness music and shameful name of Metal should be cut out from our music".

Top
 Profile  
hells_unicorn
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:32 pm
Posts: 2240
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:19 pm 
 

redeemerofchaos wrote:
Alexi is a faggot, COB, Dragonforce, and Opeth are killing metal.


If metal can survive multiple full-length feats of torture from the likes of Machine Head, Pantera, Pro-Pain and Nevermore then I doubt that Opeth can do any lasting damage. As for the other two bands mentioned, grow up.

On-Topic: Thus far Hatebreeder is my favorite of their releases, although I haven't heard Something Wild yet so that won't be my final opinion. Hate Crew Deathroll was alright, a little bit average at times, but afterward they lost my interest. Kalmah is much more consistent, and Skyfire was way more interesting.
_________________
My projects:
Frost Giant
Ominous Glory

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Top
 Profile  
Lyrici17
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:20 am
Posts: 1322
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:11 pm 
 

off-topic:

I just cannot understand how anyone could hate Opeth, or think they suck or that they're killing metal.

I can see simply not liking them, but as for that other shit, my mind can't stretch far enough for me to grasp it...
_________________
http://www.last.fm/user/Lyrici17

Top
 Profile  
Unholy_Asar
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:29 am
Posts: 574
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:33 pm 
 

Lyrici17 wrote:
off-topic:

I just cannot understand how anyone could hate Opeth, or think they suck or that they're killing metal.

I can see simply not liking them, but as for that other shit, my mind can't stretch far enough for me to grasp it...


The things I dislike about Opeth are the following:

I HATE that guy's clean vocals. They're some of the most annoying I've heard.

The acoustic interludes are more often than not extremely annoying. There are bands that succeed in using such interludes. Opeth sure as hell isn't one of them.

The growls also don't sound too good.

All the recent Opeth I've heard as been groove-oriented close to jumpdafuckup style material with a "progressive" edge to it. That's not good in any way

Everything they've ever done just reeks of pretentiousness.

I don't think Opeth is in any way killing metal though. I don't see anything in the world with a chance of killing metal. And look at Opeth. They don't even have a fuckload of trendy emocore bands emulating them and claiming to be the best metal in the world.

Even if they suck, I personally can't see what harm they're doing to the metal scene. They're one band, and I don't see a lot of bands around walking in their footsteps.

Also, most of the stuff that people claim is "killing metal" isn't even close to even scraping the surface of the real metal scene. I even believe that if nothing changes, the -core genres also don't stand a chance at killing metal, since the scene kids being affected by it aren't part of the real metal scene to begin with, however annoying they might be.

In short, Opeth sucks, but I can't understand in what way they are killing, or even harming, metal.
_________________
Nazhand wrote:
True Black Metal is NOT kind of Metal, that is a complete independent music so Nazhand believes "the name of music which is called Black Metal nowadays, should be changed to Blackness music and shameful name of Metal should be cut out from our music".

Top
 Profile  
Rottenrectum
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:41 pm
Posts: 2245
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:51 pm 
 

Children Of Bodom was one of the first metal bands I ever listened to, and I still do from time to time. I understand if some more purist metal fans don't like the prominent keyboards and the harsh, shrieking vocals but I like it. I like the keyboard-guitar harmony and the vocals has grown on me, although the last two albums wasn't that good.

EDIT: If the only argument you have against them is "Alexi is gay" or something like that, you need to grow up for fuck sake.

Top
 Profile  
Alex_Martin
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:02 pm
Posts: 9
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:54 pm 
 

christian123 wrote:
Bezerko wrote:
christian123 wrote:
If Opeth is killing metal, what are the NWoAHM doing?


Reconstructing motherfucker! Destroying fucking all that poser fucking shit and building some heavy fuckin' metal, YEAH!

Empyreal wrote:
Konig_ov_Hel wrote:
redeemerofchaos wrote:
Alexi is a faggot, COB, Dragonforce, and Opeth are killing metal.


I would have to say that Opeth is pushing the envelope and evolving their Progressive Metal roots... They are doing nothing to "kill" Metal, just helping it out.


Oh, please. They aren't killing metal, but if this is "evolving," then I'd rather be in the stone age.



Indeed, a*b=ab. So, what we have discovered is that I, along with Opeth, can do basic algebra. "Evolving" is getting a and adding a to make 2a, an evolution of a pre-existing idea, NOT getting a and multiplying it by b to make a clusterfuck of arse.



NWoAHM is reconstructing!! That is a news! I don't think except for LoG and Shadows Fall, there is any band that even remotely trying to re-construct heavy metal!!
Yeah, the majority of these "NWOAHM bands suck assholes

Top
 Profile  
spikesgoregasm
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:36 pm
Posts: 18
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:08 am 
 

They are an ok band, but I think they just tried way to hard with their later stuff. It all seems to sound the same in my opinion.

Top
 Profile  
GenocideEnthusiast
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:28 pm
Posts: 16
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:44 pm 
 

DenialFiend wrote:
redeemerofchaos wrote:
Alexi is a faggot, COB, Dragonforce, and Opeth are killing metal.
It's clear that you don't like them. It's ok for me.
But explain.


Allow me:

CoB are one of those bands that are full of talented musicians but piss it all away. Firstly, the keyboard sounds like something from a Super Nintendo game, it's so goddamn ridiculous sounding I don't know how anyone can listen to their music with a straight face, and it doesn't even do anything interesting, it just follows the guitars and the solos sound completely derivative of the guitar solos, too. Speaking of the guitars, their riffing is boring as fuck and the solos are empty and repetitive. The drums never do anything interesting, it's just the same dull and mundane pattern all the way through. Overall, they sound like a bad heavy metal band smothered in keyboards.

Dragonforce are worthless garbage. Seriously, I don't care if their guitarist can play 1 million notes a second with his feet whilst playing table tennis. All their music sounds the same, it gets boring after about 15 seconds after the novelty has worn off. Mindless wankery with pointless and tasteless guitar flair: all their songs have the same boring melodic structure, mix in the generic, standard drumming and the irritating vocals and you get AIDS.

Opeth are pretentious garbage. What people call 'progressive' is code for ego-massaging and tedious noodling. Their songs are a mess, they mix together a few different styles, seemingly just for the sake of it, as the end result is just a few passages stuck together randomly with no transition; they lack any substance and direction. Their songs are often fairly long but they seem to run out of ideas and just repeat and recycle the same old stuff. Some people call them 'atmospheric', often code for lifeless and boring as their music just stumbles along with no emotion. I laugh when people say Åkerfeldt's a great vocalist, I think he's terrible. If Coldplay made metal it would sound like Opeth.

Top
 Profile  
metal_enchantress
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:57 pm
Posts: 12
Location: Serbia
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:47 pm 
 

CoB is one of my fav bands and i adore it...i fell in love with them when i heard living death beat and i dont care if is killling or power or death melodic band i just have 2 say that they ROCK!

sure,they're not perfect, like they can be much,much better...
anyway,they have talent.

dragonforce suck on concerts ,but their songs arent so bad.throw the fires and the flames is one of the really good songs which proves that they have potencial...and they are band who ppl either adore or just h8...

opeth...im not into them really much...so i just have to say that Black Rose Immortal has fine lyrics.

Top
 Profile  
screamingstatue
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:06 am
Posts: 576
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:05 pm 
 

They've a few decent songs, IMO, most notably Needled 24-7 and Banned From Heaven, but overall, I think they're really overrated. I hate the vocals most of all, plus, with the exception of black metal bands and Opeth, I don't really enjoy keyboards in metal.

I also hate their image, with fangirls pissing themselves over Alexi all the time (I'm female and I CANNOT see his appeal :puke:) and the moronic ''Hate Crew'' stuff, what bollocks...

Top
 Profile  
metaltillubleed
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:15 pm
Posts: 8
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:08 pm 
 

GenocideEnthusiast wrote:
CoB are one of those bands that are full of talented musicians but piss it all away.

Okay, they have playing skills, but they annoy the living shit out of me. I hate my girl for listening to them.
_________________
mike40k wrote:
"Big sunglasses, not Emperor sunglasses. Big sunglasses means cool band."

Top
 Profile  
Airflla
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:55 pm
Posts: 102
Location: Ireland
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:21 pm 
 

I like the way the OP seems like he's testing the waters, trying to figure out if it's socially acceptable to like this band.
_________________
Lastfap

Top
 Profile  
Unholy_Asar
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:29 am
Posts: 574
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:22 pm 
 

metaltillubleed wrote:
I hate my girl for listening to them.


If she's got the boobies, gay points for you.

I actually was subjected to forced listening of Something Wild just recently. It was not at all as terrible as I had remembered it to be, but it's still miles short of being any good. Will probably not recheck any of their other material anytime soon because of it, unless my memory's seriously wrong and there's something that's radically better than Something Wild.

EDIT: fixed misquote...
_________________
Nazhand wrote:
True Black Metal is NOT kind of Metal, that is a complete independent music so Nazhand believes "the name of music which is called Black Metal nowadays, should be changed to Blackness music and shameful name of Metal should be cut out from our music".


Last edited by Unholy_Asar on Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Top
 Profile  
Leviathus
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:35 pm
Posts: 180
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:26 pm 
 

Bodom is the band that pretty much got me into metal. I enjoy mostly all of their albums. I think they get too much hype though, and touring with slipknot and shitty bands like that is..... well yeah you all know.

Top
 Profile  
MuffinMan
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:52 pm
Posts: 318
Location: Mexico
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:01 am 
 

I decided to give Something Wild and Follow The Reaper a try.
I bought Hatebreeder a while ago and enjoyed it while I was digging my way through metal and trying to find what I liked.

I still hate the vocals. The vocals suck big time... I could make my dog bark and it may sound better! But I do enjoy the guitar sound and the keyboards, and it is great whenever I play Hatebreeder to a potential metal fan and how they are enjoying the music until... the vocals kick in. A look of desception in their faces which are priceless.

So, I heard SW and FTR recently and I found them not memorable. I could go through the whole labum several times, enjoy some tracks, but overall I found all the album sounding the same. I still find Hatebreeder enjoyable, but I'm not interested in continue listening to their music.

Top
 Profile  
DARPAchief
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:34 pm
Posts: 89
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:13 am 
 

I own a copy of "Follow the Reaper" and love it. I've heard several songs from Something Wild and Hatebreeder and am contemplating purchasing both, though Hatebreeder is a higher priority.

I didn't like "Are You Dead Yet," mostly for the horrifying cover of a Britney Spears song on it.

Top
 Profile  
Metal4ever88
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 12:57 pm
Posts: 189
Location: Kissimmee, FL, USA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:50 am 
 

COB is good, I like 'em no matter what everyone else says. Of course I love their older albums (Something Wild up to Follow The Reaper, the latter being my favorite by them) better than the new shit, but I still like everything they've done. Also, I think what everyone needs to realize is that their lyrics are to be taken with a grain of salt, just like DragonForce's. This is the way I view their albums, in my opinion: Follow The Reaper > Hatebreeder > Something Wild > Hate Crew Deathroll > Blooddrunk > Are You Dead Yet?
_________________
Last.fm

If God gives you lemons, YOU FIND A NEW GOD!

Top
 Profile  
Negru_Voda
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:37 pm
Posts: 327
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:28 am 
 

Pretty good band. My order is FtR > Hatebreeder > HCDR > SW. The rest I haven't given a thorough listen to. Hate Crew Death Roll I admit is pretty mediocre but Needled 24/7 makes it worthwhile. While watching the Headbangers Journey movie I heard the melody from this song and simply had to find out where it was from, lo and behold it was from an old favorite that I hadn't really checked out.

Top
 Profile  
InfernoxDeath
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:40 am
Posts: 473
Location: Singapore
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:15 am 
 

I finally gave a shot, listening to COB.
And i would say, i missed out alot from this band thanks to the 'overratedness' of this band.
From their debut to 'Hatebreeder', this band did really well in the metal scene... But once 'Are You Dead Yet' was released, it captures the attention of many newbies, hence, that explains why they're well disliked...
_________________
https://twitter.com/thoughtsovrobin
http://www.last.fm/user/InfernoxDeath

Top
 Profile  
Negru_Voda
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:37 pm
Posts: 327
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:36 am 
 

InfernoxDeath wrote:
I finally gave a shot, listening to COB.
And i would say, i missed out alot from this band thanks to the 'overratedness' of this band.
From their debut to 'Hatebreeder', this band did really well in the metal scene... But once 'Are You Dead Yet' was released, it captures the attention of many newbies, hence, that explains why they're well disliked...


Actually, from what I remember, they were "disliked" well before AYDY, because they were too popular, not tr00 enough, too catchy and accessible, whatever bullshit excuse you want. Solution: ignore the armchair metal "elitists".

Top
 Profile  
Unholy_Asar
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:29 am
Posts: 574
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:31 am 
 

Negru_Voda wrote:
Solution: ignore the armchair metal "elitists".


No.

Solution: Think for yourself instead of just letting others think for you. If you agree with the "armchair metal elitists" that's also a valid opinion as long as it's not just derived from listening to them bash stuff and thinking they're "true".
_________________
Nazhand wrote:
True Black Metal is NOT kind of Metal, that is a complete independent music so Nazhand believes "the name of music which is called Black Metal nowadays, should be changed to Blackness music and shameful name of Metal should be cut out from our music".

Top
 Profile  
Satanic_Freedom
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:02 pm
Posts: 23
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:30 am 
 

Children of Bodom is a pretty good band. If you're a fan of any kind of Finnish Power/Thrash metal like Ensiferum, Norther, Wintersun, etc. you should definitely listen to Children of Bodom's Hatebreeder album, very awesome. Haven't heard any of their new music but I hear it sucks.
_________________
Infernal hails to the King of the Howling Wolves, the dark lord of the night, thy radiance gives me strength, and thy path gives me hope of life beyond this world, forever shalt I praise thy dreaded name, thou shalt forever prevail.

Top
 Profile  
Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:13 pm
Posts: 4323
Location: Pakistan
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:33 am 
 

Quote:
Actually, from what I remember, they were "disliked" well before AYDY, because they were too popular, not tr00 enough, too catchy and accessible, whatever bullshit excuse you want. Solution: ignore the armchair metal "elitists".


No, they were disliked because people thought they sucked. I am not an "elitist" (would you really call someone who listens to metalcore, dislikes plain heavy metal and dislikes most "classic" thrash bands an elitist?) but I hate the band with a passion (along with most melodeath bands). Their keyboard and guitar melodies are atrocious, and are made worse by the fact that they are completely misplaced. Some songs, like Bed of Razors, are tolerable.

Also, Alexi is an awful vocalist.

Satanic_Freedom wrote:
Children of Bodom is a pretty good band. If you're a fan of any kind of Finnish Power/Thrash metal like Ensiferum, Norther, Wintersun, etc. you should definitely listen to Children of Bodom's Hatebreeder album, very awesome. Haven't heard any of their new music but I hear it sucks.


The so-called "Bodom worship" bands like Kalmah are miles better than Bodom. I don't listen to Kalmah, Norther or Wintersun anymore but I do remember that I quite enjoyed them and always preferred them over the shitty-ness of Bodom.
_________________
Previously MegaHassan
Paki thvg music, My Extreme Metal/Punk Label

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 18594
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:08 pm 
 

Negru_Voda wrote:
InfernoxDeath wrote:
I finally gave a shot, listening to COB.
And i would say, i missed out alot from this band thanks to the 'overratedness' of this band.
From their debut to 'Hatebreeder', this band did really well in the metal scene... But once 'Are You Dead Yet' was released, it captures the attention of many newbies, hence, that explains why they're well disliked...


Actually, from what I remember, they were "disliked" well before AYDY, because they were too popular, not tr00 enough, too catchy and accessible, whatever bullshit excuse you want. Solution: ignore the armchair metal "elitists".


Pretty typical bullshit response from someone who can't handle differing opinions on a band. Come on, can't you people get any more original than this? JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE DOESN'T LIKE A BAND DOESN'T MEAN THEY'RE AN "ELITIST." Maybe they just...don't like the sound?
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Curse of the Zodiac

Top
 Profile  
BastardHead
Magic Mike

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:53 pm
Posts: 5073
Location: Oswego, Illinois
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:31 pm 
 

Empyreal wrote:
Negru_Voda wrote:
InfernoxDeath wrote:
I finally gave a shot, listening to COB.
And i would say, i missed out alot from this band thanks to the 'overratedness' of this band.
From their debut to 'Hatebreeder', this band did really well in the metal scene... But once 'Are You Dead Yet' was released, it captures the attention of many newbies, hence, that explains why they're well disliked...


Actually, from what I remember, they were "disliked" well before AYDY, because they were too popular, not tr00 enough, too catchy and accessible, whatever bullshit excuse you want. Solution: ignore the armchair metal "elitists".


Pretty typical bullshit response from someone who can't handle differing opinions on a band. Come on, can't you people get any more original than this? JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE DOESN'T LIKE A BAND DOESN'T MEAN THEY'RE AN "ELITIST." Maybe they just...don't like the sound?


Seriously, I'm the biggest elitist I've ever met, and I love Bodom. Some people just honestly think that they suck, deal with it.
_________________
Lair of the Bastard: LATEST REVIEW: Arch Enemy - War Eternal

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 18594
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:34 pm 
 

Yeah, Bodom are a pretty hateable band, although I enjoy Hatebreeder and FtR every now and then. It's not that hard to comprehend someone finding their haphazard and ugly style of music unappealing.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Curse of the Zodiac

Top
 Profile  
BastardHead
Magic Mike

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:53 pm
Posts: 5073
Location: Oswego, Illinois
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:35 pm 
 

Empyreal wrote:
Yeah, Bodom are a pretty hateable band, although I enjoy Hatebreeder and FtR every now and then. It's not that hard to comprehend someone finding their haphazard and ugly style of music unappealing.


Well, I wouldn't say it's ugly... but there is no doubt that haphazard is a good descriptor. It's really busy, spastic, and over the top, and I understand completely why some people think it sucks dinosaur balls.
_________________
Lair of the Bastard: LATEST REVIEW: Arch Enemy - War Eternal

Top
 Profile  
TheJester
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:34 pm
Posts: 148
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:35 pm 
 

Children of Bodom are boring and overrated. I used to like them but I don't anymore.

Hatebreeder and Follow the Reaper are okay. Everything else is pretty lame.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Daemonlord, gioval09, raumr and 27 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group