Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
GermanicusCaligula
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:04 pm 

Where can I get this cd for under $20? It seems as if it's only available as an import on every site I go to. Weird. Please don't say get it used on ebay or amazon.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:08 pm 

:lol: More than $20 US? What a rip.

Still, it's the best thing the band's done thus far, but daaaaamn, $20US? Hi frickin' larious, I think I paid about 25AUD for the special edition.

LotF
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:23 pm 

I want that CD so I can spin it in my car. It truly is really close to what Black Metal radio music should sound like.
IMHO.

~Guest 62838
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:35 pm 

GermanicusCaligula wrote:
Where can I get this cd for under $20? It seems as if it's only available as an import on every site I go to. Weird. Please don't say get it used on ebay or amazon.

That's because the album has only been released in Europe so far. It's going to be released in North America via Koch Records in January. Wait until then so you can buy it locally for a fairer price.

~Guest 97031
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:04 pm 

Bezerko wrote:

Still, it's the best thing the band's done thus far, but daaaaamn, $20US? Hi frickin' larious, I think I paid about 25AUD for the special edition.

Best they've done is Dark Medieval Times.

On another note, this band stopped being interested after Nemesis Divina. Their old stuff was SO amazing. If only they hadn't been overcome by greed and lust for money.

Shadoeking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:06 pm 

I think it comes out January 13 in the U.S.

brundlefly
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:07 pm 

LotF wrote:
I want that CD so I can spin it in my car. It truly is really close to what Black Metal radio music should sound like.
IMHO.

Your statement is correct, however the term "BM radio music" should never be uttered.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:20 pm 

charlie91 wrote:
Bezerko wrote:

On another note, this band stopped being interested after Nemesis Divina. Their old stuff was SO amazing. If only they hadn't been overcome by greed and lust for money.

:lol: Their old stuff either had atmosphere but shit song writing or song writing but shit atmosphere, AKA, it was boring as all hell. An incredibly second rate band for most of their careers, their new stuff may not be black metal but it is different, and it's interesting.

Plus Satyr's vocals are getting better as his career goes on.

CountBlagorath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:33 pm 

I've been wanting this album for quite some time. I love every album of Satyricon so this should be a treat. I actualy like thier newer stuff. So what if it's not true black metal? If it's heavy as fuck, then it's all good.

LotF
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:43 pm 

brundlefly wrote:
LotF wrote:
IMHO.

Your statement is correct, however the term "BM radio music" should never be uttered.

http://www.blackmetalradio.com/index.php

~Guest 97031
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:32 am 

Bezerko wrote:
charlie91 wrote:
Bezerko wrote:

:lol: Their old stuff either had atmosphere but shit song writing or song writing but shit atmosphere, AKA, it was boring as all hell. An incredibly second rate band for most of their careers, their new stuff may not be black metal but it is different, and it's interesting.

Plus Satyr's vocals are getting better as his career goes on.

Though I don't agree with what you say, I will defend to the death your right to say it.

DMT will always be one of my favorite black metal albums of all time.

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:36 am 

I would have to agree that Dark Medieval Times is a mostly boring album. Atmospheric but mostly stale and boring throughout. However, I do think The Shadowthrone and Nemesis Divina especially are solid albums.

Havent heard this new one yet, though. Honestly, is it worth checking out if you havent been impressed by newer Satyricon previously? Because nothing this band has done in the last 8 years or so has drawn my interest.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:27 am 

It sort of sounds like the better moments of Now, Diabolical but with a doomier and more atmospheric streak. Hell, half the album is at quite a slow pace. Definitely the blackest thing they've since Rebel Extravaganza, less black metal in structure but it's there in atmosphere.

Plus, COMMANDO! THE AGE OF NEEEEEERO! That chorus is so bad that it becomes stupidly catchy and awesome.

Now please remind me why the fuck I'm defending Satyricon.

Horned_Owl_Holocaust
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:56 am 

Wasn't expecting much, but I think its a cool album. They do black and roll well here, and I'm glad there not trying to do the same bm over and over every album.

Morbidreich
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:11 am 

I'm actually really wanting to hear this whole record, and what I've heard from it is some of the best stuff they've done in many years. It just sucks it's still not out in the states yet.

GermanicusCaligula
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:04 am 

Morbidreich wrote:
I'm actually really wanting to hear this whole record, and what I've heard from it is some of the best stuff they've done in many years. It just sucks it's still not out in the states yet.

I know, it was projected to come out stateside in November if I recall correctly but then I went online and it was really expensive where I could find it. You would think Satyricon would post on their website that it was and is being pushied back.

And I agree, Dark Medievel Times is one of the best BM albums of all time...Shadowthrone is up there too.

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:26 pm 

I just remembered that I actually have heard one of the songs off the new album. I listened to "My Skin is Cold" off there myspace some time ago and remember thinking it actually did sound pretty legit and good. Surprising but fine by me, I'll have to check this out soon.

CountBlagorath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:22 pm 

All I've heard from it is "My Skin is Cold" and "Black Crow on a Tombstone: and it sounds great from what I've heard. I MUST GET THIS!

euantheclansman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:27 pm 

I like it, but I preferred Now, Diabolical. I need to get Dark Medieval Times!

Orly?

Morbid89
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:48 pm 

wow it's not out in America yet? swear it's been out here for ages :D I really enjoyed it, it still has the accessibility of Now Diabolical but some of the riffs are a lot heavier sounding and Frost's remembered how to play blastbeats again, so it's less of a guilty pleasure. :D also if your local store sells the special edition you should definitely get that, it was only like £1 more expensive for me but one of the bonus tracks on the second disc is a live Mother North which sounds awesome, really makes me want to see them again. Nemesis Divina's still their best album :P

euantheclansman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:54 pm 

Morbid89 wrote:
wow it's not out in America yet? swear it's been out here for ages :D I really enjoyed it, it still has the accessibility of Now Diabolical but some of the riffs are a lot heavier sounding and Frost's remembered how to play blastbeats again, so it's less of a guilty pleasure. :D also if your local store sells the special edition you should definitely get that, it was only like £1 more expensive for me but one of the bonus tracks on the second disc is a live Mother North which sounds awesome, really makes me want to see them again. Nemesis Divina's still their best album :P

Yeah that seemed a bit odd that it was only £1 dearer, but I'm not complaining :D

Orly?

Konig_ov_Hel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:15 am 

I dropped $108US for the limited 4000 copy version of this. It's on its way from Norway still. Can't wait. This album is definitely a staple in their career.

My CD Collection (Not Complete)
http://www.metal-archives.com/usercol.p ... nig_ov_Hel

mechanical_preacher
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:30 am 

I'm very suprised people like that album. I found it to be a very effective sleeping aid.

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:45 pm 

I liked this album, Sure it's no Nemesis Divina but it's a good listen.
I also love Satyrs vocals.

Last.fm

DGYDP
Leather Lion

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:02 pm 

Some songs are awesome, while others are pretty boring. Overall I'd count this among the best Satyricon has ever done, though admittedly I'm not the biggest fan of the band.

theantielitist
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:23 pm 

For me, the band's dead, and not only because they decided to support the black 'n roll trend.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:17 pm 

I'm surprised that this is so widely accepted. I found the album VERY boring.

unclevladistav
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:32 pm 

Listened to "Black Crow on a Tombstone", it was pretty boring. Their new picture reflects their new sound.
http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=341

I'll stick with "Dark Medieval Times".

Buried_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:51 am 

Don't waste your money new Satyricon is no where near as good as there first albums like Nemesis Divina get that instead.

Judas_the_Wolf
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:57 pm 

I really enjoy every Satyricon album, except for Rebel Estravaganza.
I have to say that The Age of Nero is heavier than Now Diabolical, more rockish on the riffing (it's sounds like Fuel for Hatred or Repined Bastars Nation).

It is no Norwegian Black Metal, but it is good extreme music, powerfull, and don't forget that the new songs are live-killers.

ikuturiso
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:02 pm 

theantielitist wrote:
For me, the band's dead, and not only because they decided to support the black 'n roll trend.

Can you elaborate a little?

Buried_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:13 pm 

theantielitist wrote:

Alot of black metal bands are now doing heavy metal type music i guess you could call it Black 'n roll music as lot's of black metal band have developed in to making music like this. Darkthrone and Satyricon just to name some. Black metal is just not what it use to be it's carmed down to much :|

theantielitist
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:20 pm 

ikuturiso wrote:
theantielitist wrote:

Scene-kid-catchin' and money-worshippin' mainstream rock 'n roll black metal isn't my idea of true black metal passion, to be honest. The band's taking a big piss on the roots of the true black metal cult. Some of their 90's releases were pretty damn good, but then they smelled the big cash, and that's when the band died.

CountBlagorath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:47 pm 

theantielitist wrote:
ikuturiso wrote:
theantielitist wrote:

Scene-kid-catchin' and money-worshippin' mainstream rock 'n roll black metal isn't my idea of true black metal passion, to be honest. The band's taking a big piss on the roots of the true black metal cult. Some of their 90's releases were pretty damn good, but then they smelled the big cash, and that's when the band died.

Big deal that they don't release a Dark Medieval Times for every album. If they did that, then they would become stale very fast. Plus I think it's a good way to show respect to the originators of black metal. They did not make songs that were all about blasting faster than thou. They made songs that were actualy pretty catchy. I meen, have you listened to "Born for Burning" by Bathory? I can hear a big influence from Bathory in the newer works of Satyricon.

theantielitist
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:56 pm 

CountBlagorath wrote:
theantielitist wrote:
ikuturiso wrote:
theantielitist wrote:

Big deal that they don't release a Dark Medieval Times for every album. If they did that, then they would become stale very fast. Plus I think it's a good way to show respect to the originators of black metal. They did not make songs that were all about blasting faster than thou. They made songs that were actualy pretty catchy. I meen, have you listened to "Born for Burning" by Bathory? I can hear a big influence from Bathory in the newer works of Satyricon.

In my opinion, black metal isn't always about blasting it faster and faster, it's about the atmosphere. Listen to some real black metal and you'll see every real black metal is emotional and has a message for you. I can't see why anybody would listen to that false black 'n roll trend, but I can see why bands play that kind of music, of course. Money smells good, huh? To me, the music's worthless and empty, not like true black metal.

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:57 pm 

You aren't making any sense. Satyricon was always about the money.

theantielitist
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:05 pm 

EntilZha wrote:
You aren't making any sense. Satyricon was always about the money.

Kinda ture, but something changed. Their old shit's worth the money, their new shit's not worth shit.

CountBlagorath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:09 pm 

theantielitist wrote:
CountBlagorath wrote:
theantielitist wrote:
ikuturiso wrote:
theantielitist wrote:

In my opinion, black metal isn't always about blasting it faster and faster, it's about the atmosphere. Listen to some real black metal and you'll see every real black metal is emotional and has a message for you. I can't see why anybody would listen to that false black 'n roll trend, but I can see why bands play that kind of music, of course. Money smells good, huh? To me, the music's worthless and empty, not like true black metal.

I agree with you about the atmosphere. Now, Diabolical has a very evil atmosphere to it. I will admit that Rebel Extravaganza and Volcano lack the evil atmosphere, but in Satyricon's defence, they have never said that they were true black metal. And I don't think money has anything to do with it.

EntilZha: Show me how they have been about the money? They have always evolved thier sound and as I said before, if they did the same thing for every album, then they would become stale.

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:26 pm 

They DID do the same shit every album. The only album that is slightly different than the other ones is the first one, and that one is as forgettable as it gets. I don't know where everyone gets the notion from that there were any drastic changes. "The Age of Nero" sounds like just another "Shadowthrone"-copy to me.

Buried_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:31 pm 

theantielitist wrote:
CountBlagorath wrote:
theantielitist wrote:
ikuturiso wrote:
theantielitist wrote:

I find black metal is more about a evil atmosphere and not all black metal has to be blasing faster and faster to make a atmosphere. I just find these old black metal bands music now adays is so far from the great music they started out doing. Don't get me wrong they do a good job of the music they are making but i liked them for the Black metal music they started out making not this black 'n roll type heavy metal music these bands are doing now. Maybe they are showing repect to the bands that influenced them but i'm just not in to it so i will keep my money and not support them for there more main stream music and enjoy there old black metal music the way it's ment to be!

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next