Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:52 am 

There's a very unknown prog metal band called Vanquish from Virginia. The album Nine Deadly Sins is quite entertaining except for the vocalist's off-key and overly gravelly voice. Not a bad find, considering they allow their album to be downloaded for free, but either Greer Cawthorn needs vocal training or they need to find a new singer.

Lyrici17
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:26 am 

Avaddons_blood wrote:
BehemothNZ wrote:
Absu, the vocalist is horrible imo.

Odd, I have never heard many complaints about that..

Agreed, I just like how much different he sounds than most black metal vocalists.... a lot of rasp...

Horvat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:50 am 

Masked_Jackal wrote:
One of the first that comes to mind is Annihilator's Alice in Hell. I love the speed/thrash riffs and solos but I'm not a fan of the vocals, they just don't fit with me. I think it would've been much better if they got a stereotypical Halford-mimicking thrash singer.

So you'd rather a generic metal vocalist? Riiiiight. I happen to think his vocals are good on that album (even though they are a bit cheesy at times). I couldn't imagine Human Insecticide and W.T.Y.D. with any other vocalist (except, perhaps, Tom Araya or Eric A.K.).

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:19 am 

PriestofSadWings wrote:
Early Fates Warning, specifically Awaken the Guardian. A singer like Hansi Kursch could make those vocal melodies work, but John Arch is no Hansi Kursch, and his vocals end up sounding like ballsless wailing just for the sake of ballsless wailing. I'm writing a new review for that album.

Hansi Kursch is a completely different kind of singer, and I'm positive that his voice over ATG would ruin the cool atmosphere that album has. I like Hansi, but he isn't the right singer for something like as archaic and fantastic as Awaken the Guardian.

saintinhell
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:47 am 

When one is careful to avoid sweeping generalizations on vocal STYLES you don't appreciate, this is actually a difficult thread. I don't dig the stereotypical European power metal vocals - clean and high pitched - but I am sensible enough to see that AC DC- style vocals wouldn't go with the music either. There are some albums with horrible vocals, but guess what, I don't think my opinion of these albums would have been redeemed by these vocals, not enough to call them good albums at any rate. In a good album, the vocals will almost invariably suit the music, it is just that I may not be agreeable to the vocals. So, there are albums where I am not crazy about the vocals but it doesn't stop me liking the albums.

All told, the closest I could get to answering this thread was James La Brie but listening to Kansas gave me a different perspective on the La Brie style vocals I see in so much modern prog. I am now sure Dream Theater intended those songs to sound that way and no other, it's just that I am not receptive to whatever it is that they are trying to convey.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:58 am 

PriestofSadWings wrote:
Early Fates Warning, specifically Awaken the Guardian. A singer like Hansi Kursch could make those vocal melodies work, but John Arch is no Hansi Kursch, and his vocals end up sounding like ballsless wailing just for the sake of ballsless wailing. I'm writing a new review for that album.

No you're not, you're sticking with that album until you love it! Accept it and move on. I don't think Hansi could pull those melodies off as he's got no where near the range Arch does. I don't think I like John Arch's solo material much, mind you. I'm just checking it out now and it seems a bit too "modern progressive" for my liking... I'll give it time though. I tell you who I can't get into, Geoff Tate, I just find his vibrato a little annoying.

FateMetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:15 pm 

:lol:
You are sticking with that album PriestofSadWings! I am adding my voice to ANationalAcrobat's! :lol:
Seriously though, I have always thought John Arch a brilliant singer with a voice perfect for the atmosphere of Fates Warning's material.

misanthropicspirits
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:05 pm 

DCA by Dimmu Borgir... one of the most bloody screwed up albums i ever had the bloody misfortune to listen too. Shagrath only farts in the whole bloody album!!!

Not that the album is good anyways........... Still 2-3 songs are allright

Mandalore
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:07 pm 

anything by 3 inches of blood with the screamo guy lol

Lyrici17
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:06 am 

Mandalore wrote:

Really? That's too bad...

I actually like the sound of the both voices in harmony with each other. I definitely prefer Cam Pipes vocals. However, I do think Jamie Hooper is bringing something worthwhile to the table.

Last edited by Lyrici17 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:09 am 

Lyrici17 wrote:
Mandalore wrote:

Really? That's too bad...

I actually like the sounds of the both voices in harmony with he other. I definitely prefer Cam Pipes vocals. However, I do think Jamie Hooper is bringing something worthwhile to the table.

I like their multi-vocalist approach. I just wish they would write better music to go along with it.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:34 am 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
PriestofSadWings wrote:

No you're not, you're sticking with that album until you love it! Accept it and move on. I don't think Hansi could pull those melodies off as he's got no where near the range Arch does. I don't think I like John Arch's solo material much, mind you. I'm just checking it out now and it seems a bit too "modern progressive" for my liking... I'll give it time though. I tell you who I can't get into, Geoff Tate, I just find his vibrato a little annoying.

I felt the same about John Arch's solo.

Awaken the Guardian is of course awesome, and it is due in large part to the vocals. I don't think I'll even listen to that album at all if the vocalist was just a "good" singer. John Arch's almost over-the-top vocals that always have some unexpected twists and how they work perfectly with the riffs to synergistic effects totally make the album a masterpiece.
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:41 pm 

Kruel wrote:
ANationalAcrobat wrote:
PriestofSadWings wrote:

I felt the same about John Arch's solo.

Awaken the Guardian is of course awesome, and it is due in large part to the vocals. I don't think I'll even listen to that album at all if the vocalist was just a "good" singer. John Arch's almost over-the-top vocals that always have some unexpected twists and how they work perfectly with the riffs to synergistic effects totally make the album a masterpiece.

It wouldn't be the same without Arch, what he does is pretty magical and perhaps his finest performance, though The Spectre Within isn't exactly a slouch in the vocal department. That said anyone with songs as strong as Fata Morgana is worth a listen in my book.

It's one of those albums that even though you can see its influences and such is completely unique, I don't think I've found an album that makes me feel the way it does. I guess I was disappointed by Arch's solo stuff because it had a completely different feel.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:44 pm 

Profanum (Pol) - Eminence Of Satanic Imperial Art

So atmospheric, so brooding, so evil - black metal at it's finest... until you hear that the vocalist pretty much does his recordings in a meat factory while pissed off at pigs with mold.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

cloud197
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:48 pm 

I've never been a huge fan of the Vocals on Mayhem's De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:18 pm 

I liked Arch's solo material, he sounded great and Jim Mathos's guitars were very cool themselves, winding and swirling about in a subtle and melodic fashion that I just dug.

weakling_goat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:24 pm 

Scourge441 wrote:
There's a very unknown prog metal band called Vanquish from Virginia. The album Nine Deadly Sins is quite entertaining except for the vocalist's off-key and overly gravelly voice. Not a bad find, considering they allow their album to be downloaded for free, but either Greer Cawthorn needs vocal training or they need to find a new singer.

I agree with this. Are you from VA by any chance?

Gallows_Hymn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:35 pm 

Disarmonia Mundi

The music that they write is awesome, but I can't stand the vocals of Björn Strid. It was almost to the point of ruining 'Fragments of D-generation' for me.

Axel_Sikth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:17 pm 

I never really dug the vocals in The Jester Race, Reign in Blood, and Master of Puppets. For the most part, the vocals in thrash metal don't click with me. I find them rather boring, frankly.Tom Araya lacks any real range while Hetfield's vocals strike me as annoying. With the Jester Race, the vocals are rather underwhelming and lack power.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:21 pm 

Yeah, In Flames (all albums, not just with Anders), Dark Tranquillity and Arch Enemy's later stuff all have terrible vocals with decent music that would sound better with a nice clean, deep voice or one with more range.

METAL_is_647
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:36 pm 

all metal sounds like shit, face it you all liste nto bullshit, lets fucking scream and make gay fucking rifts that sound like shit.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:54 pm 

METAL_is_647 wrote:
all metal sounds like shit, face it you all liste nto bullshit, lets fucking scream and make gay fucking rifts that sound like shit.

Hah! Rifts!

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:53 am 

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
METAL_is_647 wrote:

Hah! Rifts!

What a fucking jagov.

Eurnonymous
Streetcleaner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:11 am 

Maybe it was just me, or from the first time i listened to it, but i thought Iced Earth's self titled debut album had vocals that did not fit very well at all with the music on it. they really did define their sound much later onwards in their career.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:27 am 

Even as a fan of Agalloch, I really don't like some of the vocals at all. Especially those soft, powerless, half-whispered gargles used over acoustic passages. The whispered vocals are all pretty bad. It's a shame because the vocalist has shows that he's actually quite decent, but apparently he chooses to use a rather annoying style. Ashes Against The Grain is an excellent album, but it probably has the worst vocals out of all Agalloch albums.

Zhuinden
Slow on the Uptake

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:52 am 

I say most of the depressive black metal bands are like that, the shrieky vocals, I mean. Just like Silencer.

KingTiger
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:05 pm 

HADES - If at first you don't succeed
ARCH ENEMY - Rise Of The Tyrant

PeachPit
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:14 pm 

KingTiger wrote:
ARCH ENEMY - Rise Of The Tyrant

Now that's interesting. Is it because Angela is a girl, or did you just like the old guy better, or does it just have to do with the style of vocals?

I thought her vocals fit very well with the mood of the album.

Cryptwatcher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:24 pm 

One band that comes into mind is Vio-Lence. They are a great band, but their vocalist has a very... well... wierd style that makes you not take the album seriously at times

KingTiger
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:31 pm 

In my opinion Angela's vocals don't fit anymore to the music Arch Enemy is playing on this album. Her vocals did fit very well to e.g "wages of sin" but personally I think "Rise of the tyrant" isn't that much of a death metal-album rather than a speed/thrash metal album. e.g. "revolutions begin" is a pure speed metal song (referring only to the instrumental aspects)- a real awesome one. But her vocals just don't fit anymore to this kind of music.

It hasn't got anything to do with her being a girl. Honestly the first time I heard her singing couple years ago, I thought "Dude, this guy sounds really pissed".*lol*
It was before I knew the singer is a girl.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:35 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Yeah, In Flames (all albums, not just with Anders), Dark Tranquillity and Arch Enemy's later stuff all have terrible vocals with decent music that would sound better with a nice clean, deep voice or one with more range.

Early In Flames with clean vocals (especially on the TJR) would be interesting to hear I think. Dark Tranquillity released some good stuff. (Only Of Chaos and Eternal Night and The Gallery in my opinion.) And the vocals fit well. Arch Enemy's vocals sound kind of boring.

SladeCraven
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:12 pm 

Every Burzum album save for Dunkelheit.

Varg's vocals are absolutely terrible.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:25 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Early In Flames with clean vocals (especially on the TJR) would be interesting to hear I think. Dark Tranquillity released some good stuff. (Only Of Chaos and Eternal Night and The Gallery in my opinion.) And the vocals fit well. Arch Enemy's vocals sound kind of boring.

Dark Tranquillity's music isn't bad or anything, but the vocals suck; terrible raspy yelping that just doesn't do my ears justice at all.

Underkill
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:44 pm 

Enchantment's 'Dance the Marble Naked' was a great UK Death/Doom Metal album that was ruined by the shitty vocalist. The Same goes for US Death Metal band Excruciating Pain and their album 'Thou Shall Choose'.

Also, am i the only one who doesn't like Bruce Dickinson's vocals?

Malbordus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:33 pm 

Underkill wrote:
Enchantment's 'Dance the Marble Naked' was a great UK Death/Doom Metal album that was ruined by the shitty vocalist.

This is very true actually! That guy sometimes sounds like a shitty hardcore singer, and sometimes he sounds like a slightly enraged Chewbacca. Quite comically bad really. Makes the album rather difficult to take seriously.

the16th6toothson
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:38 pm 

schizo_deluxe wrote:
well yeah kinda. i listen to that kick ass riff at the start of fall from grace, then the vocals come in and kill it.....ok maybe not KILL it, but it does ruin it....

with you 110% never understood the reasoning behind that awful AWFUL mix

MMM88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:28 pm 

Warning - Watching from Distance

Not horrible... just hard to get used to, same thing goes for Revelation & Against Nature.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:46 pm 

Tony Foresta on the first Municipal Waste album just sounds awful.

sumorabbit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:22 pm 

I don't usually complain about vocals, but Finntroll raises my eyebrow. I love the folk tunes, but if they were trying to sound like trolls, they could have done a better job in my opinion.

-Sun Tzu

japc
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:48 pm 

Silencer - Death - Pierce Me

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next