Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
chibikain
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:18 pm
Posts: 14
Location: Belgium
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:25 am 
 

IMO , "War Metal" is basicly all types of extreme metal into 1 big melting pot .

Top
 Profile  
Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:50 am
Posts: 4806
Location: Venestraya
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:29 am 
 

If that's the case, where's the funeral doom?

Top
 Profile  
mjaeltbrand
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:46 am
Posts: 927
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:29 am 
 

The term "War Metal" should not exist. It's like calling Cannibal Corpse "Gore Metal" or a band always singing about sex "Intercourse Metal". It's just stupid.

Lyrical themes does not create a genre.
_________________
Lippyass Major wrote:
I view any attempt to keep metal unpopular as false, because I view metal (not only do I view it; I know it to be) as an army looking for recruits. People trying to keep it down are weakening our military.

Top
 Profile  
Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:50 am
Posts: 4806
Location: Venestraya
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:32 am 
 

No shit, that's why "war metal" refers to a sound and not lyrical themes.

Top
 Profile  
mjaeltbrand
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:46 am
Posts: 927
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:41 am 
 

Could you then recommend me some "war metal" bands so I understand exactly how you mean when you say that it refers to a sound. Bolt Thrower sounds just like Death Metal, with lyrical themes that happens to be about war. But then, I haven't listened to them so much, so I might be wrong.
_________________
Lippyass Major wrote:
I view any attempt to keep metal unpopular as false, because I view metal (not only do I view it; I know it to be) as an army looking for recruits. People trying to keep it down are weakening our military.

Top
 Profile  
Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:50 am
Posts: 4806
Location: Venestraya
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:45 am 
 

You're in the wrong place, Bolt Thrower are completely different to what is usually referred to as "war metal."

Generally you're looking at bands like Blasphemy, Conqueror, Bestial Warlust and Goat Semen. That slightly grindy, lo-fi black/death style. I believe there was a rec list on the previous page, though I haven't heard many of the bands so I can't attest to their adherence to the style.

Top
 Profile  
chibikain
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:18 pm
Posts: 14
Location: Belgium
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:16 am 
 

Bezerko wrote:
If that's the case, where's the funeral doom?

With Extreme Metal I meant Black/Death/Thrash + some Grind/Crust.
But then again , I'm not an expert in "War Metal".
"War Metal" reoccurs a few times in album titles and songtitles , but none of the bands are truly War Metal.

Top
 Profile  
ibeast666
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:13 pm
Posts: 32
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:08 pm 
 

MaliciousAwesome wrote:
Genres are how it's played, not what's it's about. You can't play war through your instruments.. can you?

Can you play death, black, thrash, doom, gothic through your instruments?

the only genres you can play through your instrument are heavy, power, speed, symphonic, folk and groove. Because those genres actually descibe what the music does in their names.

though names like growly really heavy metal instead of death metal wouldn't actually work.

Top
 Profile  
kingnuuuur
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:35 pm
Posts: 2139
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:35 pm 
 

chibikain wrote:
"War Metal" reoccurs a few times in album titles and songtitles , but none of the bands are truly War Metal.

True, that is why sometimes people are misled by release titles such as LotM's "War Metal Battle Master" or even Cobalt's "War Metal" which is admittedly influenced by Revenge (Can) but falls short due to the lack of grinding and the use of acoustic guitar (if I remember correctly) :P

Hell, I even know some people who thought that Manowar were actually War Metal for some strange reason. You can almost bash yourself on the head.

ibeast666 wrote:
Can you play death, black, thrash, doom, gothic through your instruments?

the only genres you can play through your instrument are heavy, power, speed, symphonic, folk and groove. Because those genres actually descibe what the music does in their names.

though names like growly really heavy metal instead of death metal wouldn't actually work.

How can you play "power" on the guitar?
Names like Death Metal, Black Metal and Heavy Metal were simply coined by influential/pioneering artists of the genre really, nothing too mysterious.

Top
 Profile  
Wrath_Of_War
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:04 pm
Posts: 1330
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:37 pm 
 

kingnuuuur wrote:
Thornspawn have a War Metal feel to their album Wrath of War (2002).
That's exactly what I thought when opening this thread. But anyone who knows me here knows I'm a huge Thornspawn fan :lol:

I'd say their first album "Blood of the Holy, Taint Thy Steel" and their EP that followed don't really have the same feel, but most of the things they released since then have more of a "war metal" feel, in my opinion, ESPECIALLY Wrath of War. Killer drumming on that album, too.
_________________
My black metal band:
www.facebook.com/OfficialOakmoon

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bug_man, By_Inheritance, wrathchild_88 and 21 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

 
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group