Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
dreadmeat
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:43 pm 

Everyone likes a good live album and the spontaneous quote monster can go into epic mode at the fizz of a beer or twenty...
Some live banter, between song chatter, announcements or full blown rants can be quite memorable, both live and 'on disc'.
Have you guys witnessed anything live that was particularly profound or memorable? how about your favourite live 'quote' from disc.

I've wanted to start this thread for months but if nobody likes it I'll bury it :finger:

Yes you can email me about trades

Sixsixsixmusic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:10 pm 

I remember Biff from Saxon saying that he couldn't wear his old spandex any more because his wife banned him from wearing them - which made everyone in the crowd laugh

And Billy Milano from S.O.D. started throwing teabags at us at a gig in London. He'd been saving up all his teabags from the whole tour for the English crowd

LeMiserable
Milhouse van Houten

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:47 pm 

I can't name any concrete examples, but probably Frank Mullen has done some memorable things before. He's a pretty nice entertainer and his heavily New York-y accent makes it all the more enjoyable....
Hail Metantoine and Napero or you will go through strife.

Metallum is never wrong
Accurate down to every song
If you see a mistake you're supposed to play along (repeat until fade out)

Xlxlx
May contain traces of nuts

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:52 pm 

LeMiserable wrote:
I can't name any concrete examples, but probably Frank Mullen has done some memorable things before. He's a pretty nice entertainer and his heavily New York-y accent makes it all the more enjoyable....

Doesn't he have a bit of a skit where he encourages the crowd to go dig up a corpse and do whatever they want with it? Like fucking it, or playing FIFA with it :lol:

KolmeNoitaa wrote:
(...) microwaves are your best friends. You'll learn to cook anything and everything by nuking it.

overtenmy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:03 pm 

One of my most memorable concert memories is seeing Slayer around 2002. They were playing at The Grove in Anaheim, CA. A security guard was roughing up one of the fans in the pit, and Tom Araya jumped off the stage to break it up. Kerry, Jeff and Dave continued playing while all that was happening. If I recall they were playing "Spirit In Black."

BastardHead
Magic Mike

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:56 pm 

Frank Mullen is definitely one of the best for stage banter, though now I can't think of a great example right now for some reason. His most memorable for me was when I saw Suffocation in 08, he went into this rant before Infecting the Crypts about how he loves Wal Mart because they're open 24 hours a day, so if you're having an argument with your significant other at 2am, you can go buy a shovel and get business done. The reason it was so funny is because he somehow got distracted and lost his place, so he sat there stuttering for like thirty seconds "You get a shovel, and dig... dig you dig, wife, dig-a bury, dig-a bury the shovel..." I've been laughing about it for six years now. Dig-a bury.

Also, if you ever get the chance to see Malignancy, fucking do it. That vocalist had me rolling laughing between every song when I saw them open for Dying Fetus a year or so back. After the first song he asked how we were all doing tonight, and amongst the cheers, one dude in the front row went absolutely nuts. Danny points at him and says "You are way too excited. Take it down about ten notches, we're not even that good." A song or two later, he announces that they've been doing something special in each city on the tour for the next song, so he wanders offstage for a minute or two and comes back with a blue and white striped conductor's hat. He, with a giant, childlike grin on his face proudly proclaims "I found a choo-choo train hat!" He turns his back to the crowd and tosses it like a bouquet. When somebody in the crowd catches it, he says "Okay everybody, that guy is the conductor, everybody follow him for the next song." So for the entirety of the next song, that dude wore his hat, pumped his arm like a train whistle, and lead a giant circle pit.

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:24 pm 

Holy fuck, that Malignancy show is one for the ages! :lol:

Bloodbath show on Hellfest 2010. Akerfeldt in the dark with his sunglasses on and a constant red light behind him (the entire show actually) saying to the crowd "Watching Bloodbath live is like... birdwatching... Because you know, this is like our fifth show ever since we formed.", to which the crowd responded with a mix of stun/laughter/amazement. That one I won't forget so soon, and I don't even like the guy!

Carcass show here in Portugal, Vagos Open Air 2010. The infamous one where a roadie started screaming "COOKIES! COOOOOKIEEEES!!! I WANT COOOOKIEEEEESSS!!!!!!" to do Jeff's mic sound check. Then Carcass gets on stage and play like two songs in a row where nothing could be understood, and the sound was so bad they had to stop playing by the end of it and start tuning their instruments properly. So Jeff in his typical sarcastic rant turned to the crowd and said something like "Lesson one in being a successful musician, tune your instrument" and continued playing.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:41 pm 

Several mentions of Suffocation now made me dig up some Frank Mullen banter:

And here's his thing about funeral preparations:

If you are a false, don't entry.

Or you will be banned and died.

BastardHead
Magic Mike

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:52 pm 

Man Andro just reminded me of when I saw Opeth at Gigantour 06. Akerfeldt is a hilarious guy, and his choppy English coupled with his heavy accent is comedy gold.

"Vee are happy. to be back. een. Cheecagoo. Cheecagoo. ees. great city. You have. great food. and. great whookers."

"Vee are. Opeth. from Schtockolm. Schvealand. Vee are going. to play. some songs for you. Some. are met-al songs. Some. are. not so met-al songs. This next one. is a met-al song. so I want. you. to bang. your fooking heads. I. am going thrash. so hard. my wig will fall off."

alossfourwords
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:03 pm 

Not metal, per se, but Fugazi might have everyone beat... Ice cream eating motherfucker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCdG6KPE35M

dreadmeat
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:21 am 

Mortician/Malignancy rule at this, the accent is so cool
"Hacked up faw bawbekewww" ha ha ha :lol:

We'll get some good mileage from this thread it seems

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:38 am 

When I saw Ghost last month, Papa Emeritus had the entire audience in the palm of his hand whenever he would speak between songs. The highlight of that show was him noticing a little girl, no more than maybe 7 or 8, holding a sign saying it was her birthday, and then leading the entire building in singing Happy Birthday to her.
Blacksoul Seraphim Doomgaze
Thy Ancient Crypt Blackened Death Metal

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:45 am 

Wilytank wrote:

holy shit, that guy is every idiot atheist on the internet. couldn't make it all the way through the 1min clip, but i assume there was a mention of pedo priests in there somewhere towards the end. "durr, church bad! me no educate but want speak!"

anyway, +1 to the akerfeldt mention. dude's hilarious, both in opeth and bloodbath. seen them live a few times, spent the entire time between songs laughing.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:56 am 

Turner wrote:
couldn't make it all the way through the 1min clip, but i assume there was a mention of pedo priests in there somewhere towards the end.

Nope.

If you are a false, don't entry.

Or you will be banned and died.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:37 am 

Turner wrote:

holy shit, that guy is every idiot atheist on the internet. couldn't make it all the way through the 1min clip, but i assume there was a mention of pedo priests in there somewhere towards the end. "durr, church bad! me no educate but want speak!"

I'm not offended, nor am I impressed. Just banter.

marcomai
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:47 am 

Bruce Dickinson's introduction to The Rime of The Ancient Mariner on the film of Live After Death. Empire, menstruation, drugs, conservatism, cheese, its got it all.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:51 am 

Tom Araya's pretty hard to beat, especially with the "older women" and "pen/sword" speeches.

Let's Trade in the Darkness of Hell! - updated for 2014!

Emanon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:35 am 

Johan from Amon Amarth when I saw them a couple years ago:

"Sing along, even if you don't know the words - it's death metal, nobody will know!"

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:38 am 

I wish I could recount some specific lines, but when I saw M.O.D. last year, Billy Milano always had something interesting and/or amusing to say in between songs. Of course, he's been good at working the mic even back in the S.O.D. days so that's not completely surprising.

His story behind the writing of "Spandex Enormity" was quite something haha.

299796kms
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:04 pm 

I saw Saxon live many years ago. At one point between songs Biff goes to the crowd:

So, who's coming to see us play London tomorrow?

*Cheers*

Edinburgh?

*More cheers*

Abserwyth?

*Confused cheers*

Well, we're not playing in Aberswyth but you can go there if you want!

:lol:

Noise Not Music
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:34 pm 

Good idea for a thread.

Cronos from Venom is great,

http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2005/08/y ... .html#more

tomcat_ha
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:58 pm 

I saw Suffocation with Frank just recently at neurotic deathfest and it was quite apparent that he doesnt tour as much anymore because he kept on talking and talking.

dreadmeat
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:39 pm 

"Hey hey hey, we're Primus and we suck!" :lol:

uzilover
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:56 pm 

Not enough Peter Steele in this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCDlJUCuDPo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIdUkYOIFpI

"Ya Irish Mick Motherfucker!"

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:33 pm 

Not enough Peter Steele? How about not enough Devin Townsend?

Blacksoul Seraphim Doomgaze
Thy Ancient Crypt Blackened Death Metal

LuciferionGalaxy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:44 pm 

Akerfeldt is quite funny. One of the last times I saw him he said: "I sold my soul to the devil a long time ago". I don't remember the rest but I thought it was entertaining.

Hircine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:52 pm 

Not really "banter" but when I saw Immortal Abbath kicked a wind machine for no conceivable reason in between songs which I found fucking hilarious

Wolfgong wrote:
By the way I am straight and male and get a kick outta tricking chicks to get into their pussy

FasterDisaster
OMG WAT DOES THIS CAPS LOCK KEY DO

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:22 pm 

Hircine wrote:
Not really "banter" but when I saw Immortal Abbath kicked a wind machine for no conceivable reason in between songs which I found fucking hilarious

Wind machines in and of themselves are hilarious, so him kicking one is funny just on its face.

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:49 pm 

I remember a cool one from Mick Moss when he did an "Antimatter Unplugged" a few years back near my town. Since it was a small venue (a night club actually) we were all confined in a tight space around him, like around the fire at a campsite with someone on the end of it telling tales over some acoustic kumbaya singing. It was the sort of show where things are more intimate and melodramatic than funny, but by the end of it Mick started talking about how he had some stuff for sale and that he'd do a good price and even discounts to the people buying them. Out of the blue he starts talking to the mic "Buy you Antimatter CDs here, only X (can't remember if 5 or 10) euros. Buy it here." as if we was a merchant in a town fair. That was hilarious!

Same place different time, only this time it was Danny Cavanagh doing "Anathema Unplugged". There he was sipping tea as if he was drinking beer, all of us around the camp fire again, and some blokes hanging around in the bar in the back. Except there were no walls between us, so everyone in the room could hear what they were talking about. Danny started giving them "the stare" for a while until suddenly he stopped playing, turned rabidly to them and said in a harsh tone "Hey, hey you! SSSHHHHH!!!". The stupor on everyone's faces was something else. He then sort of noticed what he did, turned to the crowd watching him and said in his best accent "It's hard to be here, singing about... deep stuff... You know?!" so eventually things cooled off, himself included. Witnessing his red faced "SSSHHHH!!!" though, that was something else.

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:28 pm 

I will never forget Devy saying "Now carve your shit into a point and stab yourself in the chest with it!"

dreadmeat
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:49 pm 

Blasphemy live in Holland has a couple of good ones

"we've got t-shirts and CDs, not trying to tell you what to do..."

"Holland! HOLLLANNNDD!" ha ha :p

soulonfire
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:56 pm 

Peter Steele is probably my all time favorite. The one time I saw them live, he delivered some good ones in that thick Brooklyn accent of his.

Before playing My Girlfriend's Girlfriend: "When I wrote this song they told me 'Peter, you're a fucking pussy!' and I said, 'You are what you eat!'"

Someone yelling in the crowd: "What? Freebird? Oh, freebase. We got a fuckin' jokah here. What? You want a free bass? Sure, here ya go...GET DA FUCK OUTTA HERE!!!"

Random banter: "Don't drink and drive, you might kill someone. But if you do, make sure it's someone you fucking hate!"

Use Baloo and calypso music.

ancientorder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:06 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:

Best talk with the audience are on the official Friday the 13th Live Ritual.

Black Winds: "What's with the girly screams, we're not The Beatles"
Some bitch in the audience gets pissed: "Fuck you!"
Black Winds: "Thank you very much!"
Bitch again: "You're welcome!"

dreadmeat
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:10 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:

ancientorder wrote:
Best talk with the audience are on the official Friday the 13th Live Ritual.

Black Winds: "What's with the girly screams, we're not The Beatles"
Some bitch in the audience gets pissed: "Fuck you!"
Black Winds: "Thank you very much!"
Bitch again: "You're welcome!"
Ha ha! I haven't heard that yet, only the 'unofficial' ones.

kalervon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:11 pm 

Memorable for sure is Deep Purple's "You want everything louder than everything else?" / "can I have everything louder than everything else", captured on Made in Japan (1972)

I remember a Current 93 show (not metal, but they played songs from "Aleph at Hallucinatory Mountain" which can be quite heavy) where David Tibet mentioned some connection between "Hon(n)i soit qui mal y pense", the motto from the Order of the Garter, and the sanskrit-derived word "yoni". As he was trying to remember the full French motto, some people in the crowd shouted it out for him; to which he replied: "Oh yea.. I forgot, you're all fucking French people!". It was in Toronto.

Another non-metal show where the (solo) female performer stopped for a while, started talking about her life, mentioned among other things getting into knitting lately, talking about her poor finances, etc. She'd go on and on between songs, until at some point she took out a few mittens from a bag she was carrying around, and asked whether anyone wanted to buy them; she had hand-knitted them.

Paka01
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:44 am 

Nick Holmes of Paradise Lost:

Come on, clap your hands like you give a fuck!

Jackoroth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:08 am 

Mine was pretty recently with D.R.I. when they played here.

Kurt Brecht, their vocalist for anyone who isn't familiar with them really liked hanging shit on their bassist (which I honestly didn't think he was joking around) and had a lot of love for Motorhead.

He'd say things like "Damn, it'd be hard being a three piece metal band, Motorhead did it really well though. We're a three piece plus bassist." - while looking quite pissed off at him.

Also when Gwar played here with The Black Dahlia Murder, Satyricon and Amon Amarth, Oderus Urungus said "Support us so I can put the profits into my arm" seemed funny when he said it but sadly he wasn't joking.

Last edited by Jackoroth on Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:19 am 

Jim Sadist from Nunslaughter does some amazing sorts of horror movie type narration between songs that are just plain awesome. Cool dude.

I've seen Van Drunen-fronted bands a bunch of times now and typically he's just oozing charisma and down-to-earth, cool as fuck old metal guy charm, but this one time I saw Hail of Bullets and he's up there like, "There are lots of sexy ladies in the audience today. Lots of them...yeah. Lots of sexy ladies. If any of them would like to come back to my hotel with me after the show, that would be real cool. Any of you, I don't care. Just...anyone?" trailing off into this sad desperate plea for anyone to sleep with him, hahaha. For some reason it was really sad and funny at the same time.

One of my favorites was when I saw Speedwolf (who had great stage banter in general) but in particular, they introduced "I Can't Die" with something like, "This is a song about doing so much cocaine and riding your motorcycle through the desert so goddamn fast that it is literally *impossible* for you to die!"

COMA VOID | GLOAMING | FAUSTIAN ORBS

Unity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:33 am 

On COF's live album, Dani says things like "remember, drink bleach!" or "sometimes I wish I'd fuck off myself...". And in Mayhem's "Mediolanum Capta Est", Maniac dedicates "Chainsaw Gutsfuck" to the Pope!

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:42 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Jim Sadist from Nunslaughter does some amazing sorts of horror movie type narration between songs that are just plain awesome. Cool dude.

One of my favorites was when I saw Speedwolf (who had great stage banter in general) but in particular, they introduced "I Can't Die" with something like, "This is a song about doing so much cocaine and riding your motorcycle through the desert so goddamn fast that it is literally *impossible* for you to die!"

yes to both of these.
I can't remember if the dude from Speedwolf said the same thing both times I saw them but one was the MDF experience last year, which you probably also caught. I think they were inspired by some biker movie there....

This thread distresses me a bit because the more I think on it the more I realise that the most memorable banter for me is usually bad/annoying stuff. However, Paul Baloff was just a goldmine for memorable/amusing/bonehead banter. Just listen to Another Lesson in Violence...there's a gem between each song there.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next