Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
simonitro
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:05 am 

Hey all,

What are your personal metal traditions you'd like to do every once in awhile and which albums or bands you'd listen to in a specific time of year?

I made for myself that on every New Year's Day, the first album I'd listen to is Black Sabbath's Paranoid.

HOT_DOG_DAY_89
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:57 am 

I guess mine is always listening to new albums twice in a row. First while reading the lyrics (if there are any), then after ripping the CD into mp3s, I listen to the album again more casually as I look at stuff at the Internet. Also if it's a fun album, I like to drink beer while listening to it. If it's more atmospheric stuff, I make some tea.

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:30 am 

Every year when the winter starts to draw in I (like many others) tend to go through a black metal phase, and the first album I reach for is invariably Satyricon's "Dark Medieval Times". There is something about it that seems to suit my early morning drive to work in the darkness with a cold clear moon in the sky, especially the long acoustic track "Min Hyllest Til Vinterland". From there I usually move on to the Burzum and early Ulver, but it always starts with Dark Medieval Times.

bug_man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:35 am 

i like to vomit on god's child at least once a year, preferably on holy days.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:01 am 

bug_man wrote:

sounds like bug_man got drunk for new years.

Gastjale
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:06 am 

schizoid wrote:
bug_man wrote:

Or just has a penchant for the merry, festive tunes of Havohej.

bug_man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:12 am 

schizoid wrote:
bug_man wrote:

i'm quite sober actually.

severzhavnost
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:34 pm 

April 8, 2004 was the first day I ever listened to Iron Maiden ("2 Minutes to Midnight" first of all). In honour of that, I reserve that day every year to an exclusively Maiden-only listening binge. The one year I had the time (was off work), I started in the morning and played every album, chrinological order from beginning to end; and timed it to finish the last song at 11:58pm. Was a good day :metal:

HambreSensorial
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:11 pm 

From time to time I like to listen to music in my favourite place (Madrid's Parque del Retiro...) while reading something; I select some albums I think will fit my mood and kind of spend the entire day listening to music while enjoying the scenerie and having some beer if possible. Those days are kind of like 'for myself' since I just evade everything and everyone, and metal plays a big part in them. Normally I select albums I want to pay special attention to, or recently bought albums I haven't listened to and such.

Also have the tendency to listen to more folky/melodeath stuff in summer, always listen to Saturnus's Christ Goodbye whenever I kind of have a tough day, or to Electric Wizard in general if I'm stressed, actually stoner/doom was mostly my "college/exams/studying genre", nothing beats trying to understand Heidegger while listening some wizardry :-D

The thing I do the most I believe is listening to albums at least one in the dark just carefully listening to the music, I worry about not really appreciating each piece of music because you know, listening while surfing the net or doing other things and such is not the best condition to pay attention to anything, so I always try to listen each album at least once really listening to it, normally trying to keep all other stimulus at minimum.

Ancient Sunlight
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:14 pm 

I wake up every morning with a metal scream as my alarm. I currently rotate between Eric Adams, Cyriis, Udo, Halford, Christian "Zouille" Augustin and John Gallagher of Raven. It wakes me up in a good mood. I don't recommend doing it with others near -- they often do not wake up in a good mood.

Abethedemon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:47 pm 

I haven't done it before, but on Febuary 2 (Candlemas day) I want to blast some good ol' Candlemass for the hell of it. I normally wake up to 89.5 fm (a mostly metal and hard rock radio station) as my alarm. I also listen to at least part of an album before going to bed.

teh_Foxx0rz
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:11 pm 

Ancient Sunlight wrote:
I wake up every morning with a metal scream as my alarm. I currently rotate between Eric Adams, Cyriis, Udo, Halford, Christian "Zouille" Augustin and John Gallagher of Raven.

Not even Kai Hansen on the beginning of Starlight?!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:15 pm 

I often play whatever album I've got in heavy rotation when I wake up, along with coffee and breakfast, while doing some writing. Otherwise, eh, no annual/yearly traditions - though I may spin Iron Maiden's s/t around May every year as that's the anniversary of when I first heard it. But that isn't a set in stone thing.

PvtNinjer
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:20 pm 

I don't really have any traditions, per se. Once fall comes around, I tend to listen to a lot of downtrodden doom and music with similar emotional weight, I usually listen to 40 Watt Sun at least once during this time (Warning I usually save for winter) and of course some Type O Negative. Winter time is when I usually bust out some nocturnal stuff, jazz, black metal, darker electronic music and trip hop. I dunno. The only one that really comes to mind as an actual tradition is I usually blast King Diamond's No Presents For Christmas when I wake up Christmas day, but that's about it.

Exigence

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:49 pm 

A shot of Jameson and a Guiness every January 4th for Phil Lynott.

Niklas Sanger
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:14 pm 

I fall asleep listening to metal almost every night.

Terri23
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:37 pm 

The night before an exam or test, I study with Judas Priest's Nostradamus in the background. No idea how that started.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Direnotes
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:03 am 

I always listen to a album, be it CD, Cassette, or Vinyl in whole with the lyrics (if it has them). Though if I just don't like a album I'll stop.

Also, I hate it when the lyrics in the booklets are wrong.

TheTrueSeker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:05 am 

Direnotes wrote:
I always listen to a album, be it CD, Cassette, or Vinyl in whole with the lyrics (if it has them). Though if I just don't like a album I'll stop.

I used to do this way back when I was getting into metal, but then I tried to read along to In the Nightside Eclipse, and I got really frustrated. The reverb and the bizarre (but amazing vocals) never seemed to match up with what I was reading. Nowadays, I can actually understand most of what Ihsahn is screaming about, but even then, there are some parts that are just a blur. It seems like there is more vocals than lyrics in the booklet. Marduk's Heaven Shall Burn When We Are Gathered was another killer of this tradition, although in that case, I was reading lyrics I printed off of some website and listening to mp3s. Whoever wrote the "lyrics" down added a bunch of shit onto the end of "Dracul Va Domni Din Nou In Transilvania" that definitely wasn't in the song. Turns out that the extra stuff was actually just a post-scriptum in the booklet teasing a sequel (which we got in the form of Nightwing a year later).

After that, I started getting into more underground stuff with either really bad English (and not funny bad like Sarcófago, but just confusing and muddled), languages I didn't understand and couldn't find translations for, or just really corny shit, like the "We have the power! We have the right! We have the knowledge... to be ourselves!" from Decameron's "Our Time Has Come." I think that the whole reading the lyrics along with the music was a relic from when I was a kid trying to sing along to the Beatles or Hendrix. Nowadays, I don't care too much about lyrics unless they're really good (Autopsy, Suffocation, Emperor) or really bad (the aforementioned Decameron, some of the more "out there" moments of old In Flames, Exit-13).

I used to do the seasonal listening thing as well, particularly in regards to Summoning. I did a lot of Stronghold and Minas Morgul in the summer, Oathbound in the spring and winter, and Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame in the fall, and Dol Guldur almost exclusively in the dead of winter. Something about the album covers, the booklets, and the atmosphere of certain songs ("Over Old Hills" feels wintry with the robot voice, and the combo of "Orthanc" and "Ungolianth" feels summery) made me do this. I also did the whole black metal in the winter, death metal in the summer thing.

Nowadays, I mostly just go through phases, like where I'll listen to nothing but Polish '90s black metal for a long-ass time, or right now where I'm on a Swedeath kick. The only tradition I hold on to is listening to a shitload of Acid Witch, Crypticus, King Diamond, and Negură Bunget during the Halloween season. The first two have that horror vibe going, with Acid Witch doing kind of an '80s thing and Crypticus giving off a mix of '30s pulp horror short stories and '50s b-movies. King Diamond/Mercyful Fate is Halloween incarnate, and Negură Bunget is super pagan, but also Transylvanian, so there's like a Dracula thing there. Abigail gets a lot of spins around Christmas, because I have good memories of my brother and I watching the DVD that came with my special edition and laughing at/being scared by the music videos. Arcturus' Aspera Hiems Symfonia and Sham Mirrors also get a lot of play around that time, both for memories and their atmosphere.

Jackoroth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:29 am 

Not too metal but the countdown to every new year I crank Europe's Final Countdown, I've been doing this for a few years but I can't remember when I started doing it.

TikrasTamsusNaktis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:30 pm 

Back in Highschool me and few of my friends would drink and always listen to "One Rode to Asa Bay" by Bathory. Best beer pounding song!

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:21 pm 

Niklas Sanger wrote:

Same. Some people are the opposite, but I've always found music to be a good food for my brain to nibble on as I'm trying to zone out and ultimately drift off. I have kind of specific requirements for sleeping music though. I want the songs to be relatively long, rather than having the music stop and start again every few minutes. I also prefer albums which are fairly constant volume wise, with few quiet parts. This is partially due to not wanting to disturb my sleep from the music jumping back in at full volume and giving me a surprise, and partially because I often use music to drown out noise, like my neighbour's dog thumping about directly above my ceiling.

I usually go for music that I don't normally make time for otherwise; stuff like Paysage D'Hiver and Darkspace. Later Esoteric is a favourite too (the early stuff has too many dramatic jumps in volume and is generally a bit disturbing for sleeping to anyway). There was also a phase of listening to Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss ritualistically nearly every time I went to bed which lasted several years. I associate the intro to the first track with letting my imagination take me to far away forests and hills while drifting off to slumber.

It's true that this is potentially a quick way to burn yourself out on those albums, but sleep's important, and they usually do the trick.

Erosion of Humanity
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:29 pm 

Not a tradition per say but every time I have to run shuttles at work I have a pretty specific listening regiment. It consists of things like Darkspace and Alcest and some other zone out music. I find that it's a nice way to pass the hours spent in solitude on the highway in the middle of the night.

Crick wrote:
Raw eggs tastier than semen? What horrid ooze-troll have you been blowing?

asmfc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:30 pm 

I don't know if it counts, but I always wear my first Down t-shirt to exams.

Ancient Sunlight wrote:
I wake up every morning with a metal scream as my alarm. I currently rotate between Eric Adams, Cyriis, Udo, Halford, Christian "Zouille" Augustin and John Gallagher of Raven. It wakes me up in a good mood. I don't recommend doing it with others near -- they often do not wake up in a good mood.

I used to wake up with the song The Great Southern Trendkill every day for 2 years, that song made me wake up, because it was really hard not to wake up to it. I stopped because I couldn't listend to the song itself for those 2 years so I just stopped using it.

Exigence

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:35 pm 

My alarm I wake up to every morning is Chumbawumba's "Hanging in the Old Barbed Wire".....I cut it to the last 30 seconds so my alarm is literally a british choir softly singing "If you want to find the Private, I know where he is...I know where he is....I know where he is"

Flugeldufel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:45 pm 

Certain albums are only for being drunk or spaced out after midnight and usually during winter. I just won't listen to them if they come up if the conditions aren't right. These include:

Goatlord - Reflections of the Solstice
Varathron - His Majesty at the Swamp
any Rotting Christ, Necromantia
Satan - Court in the Act (such an amazing record)
Dire Straits - s/t
Barathrum - Hailstorm
Blasphemy - Die Hard Rehearsal
Dodheimsgard - Kronet til Konge

etc.

Rasc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:00 pm 

Black metal on the first days of January, Iron Maiden on my birthday's week and King Diamond on Christmas have been essential since my early teenage years.

Secular Prayer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:18 pm 

Every Halloween night, I play Type O Negative- Bloody Kisses. It`s the only time of the year I listen to it. I turn all the lights out and play the whole thing uninterrupted.

Niklas Sanger
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:42 am 

Foulchrist wrote:
Niklas Sanger wrote:

Same. Some people are the opposite, but I've always found music to be a good food for my brain to nibble on as I'm trying to zone out and ultimately drift off. I have kind of specific requirements for sleeping music though. I want the songs to be relatively long, rather than having the music stop and start again every few minutes. I also prefer albums which are fairly constant volume wise, with few quiet parts. This is partially due to not wanting to disturb my sleep from the music jumping back in at full volume and giving me a surprise, and partially because I often use music to drown out noise, like my neighbour's dog thumping about directly above my ceiling.

I usually go for music that I don't normally make time for otherwise; stuff like Paysage D'Hiver and Darkspace. Later Esoteric is a favourite too (the early stuff has too many dramatic jumps in volume and is generally a bit disturbing for sleeping to anyway). There was also a phase of listening to Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss ritualistically nearly every time I went to bed which lasted several years. I associate the intro to the first track with letting my imagination take me to far away forests and hills while drifting off to slumber.

It's true that this is potentially a quick way to burn yourself out on those albums, but sleep's important, and they usually do the trick.

I can't always listen to more "energetic" (Like City by SYL) metal albums when sleeping, because it'll just keep me up. The albums I fall asleep to tend to be more "mellow" (Damnation bu Opeth). Also whenever I have the time to take a nap during the day, I like to sit through a concept album while half asleep, it usually helps me uncover the meaning easier.

I have a friend who sleeps to Cannibal Corpse as long as the volume is really low.

Secular Prayer wrote:
Every Halloween night, I play Type O Negative- Bloody Kisses. It`s the only time of the year I listen to it. I turn all the lights out and play the whole thing uninterrupted.

Thats really badass I never thought to do that. Type O Negative is a really good band to listen to that time of year.

severzhavnost
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:44 pm 

I also like to reserve the few days preceding a concert, to listening only to the band(s) who'll be playing. Helps to generate some anticipation.

Thiestru
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:27 pm 

This is more a musical tradition than a strictly metal one, but I always pick something special for my last song of the year. A song that reflects my feelings on the closing year, or my disposition towards the new one. 2014's year-end song was 'Black Celebration' by Depeche Mode, because 2014 can go to hell.

If you're interested in hearing my music, it can be found here: http://thiestru.bandcamp.com. Wassail.

Idolsofchagrin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:13 am 

I don't have that many traditions but I have certain bands and albums I like for certain occassions, especially when using drugs or alcohol.

Master's Hammer's "Ritual" is my favorite beer drinking album.

I'll just sit down for an hour straight listening to it while drinking good beer (preferably Belgian or Belgian style ales) and it really takes me places.

I don't take Vicodin/Percocet often, but if I do manage to have some handy I like to listen to Arcturus's "Sham Mirrors" while on it while melting into my bed and for some reason the spacey vibe of that album goes along perfectly with the feeling.

Amorphis-Tales From the Thousand Lakes is my winter-weed smoking album, and I've spent so many days in the past listening to it while looking out into the snow during a cold winter day or night while smoking weed that I have a hard time listening to it anymore if I'm not high.

Something about the combo of the winter, the weed smoke and the doom-death atmosphere of that album--yeah, everything about that combo goes great together.

suleiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:01 am 

Ancient Sunlight wrote:

That sounds fukin awesome !

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:51 am 

I let random.org decide what metal album I'll listen to during the first moment I actually have time to listen to an entire album each day. :p

DennisDemoniarch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:21 pm 

Tradition or sickness?

Either way, whatever... call it what you will. Get up and scour the numerous distro's and forums for something new, that something that will destroy every other album that came before it. The perfect album. The culmination of everything, the measure to which all these years of listening will amount to. The pinnacle album and then stop!

...for nothing else will hold meaning after ever again.

BasqueStorm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:49 pm 

Idolsofchagrin wrote:
Amorphis-Tales From the Thousand Lakes is my winter-weed smoking album, and I've spent so many days in the past listening to it while looking out into the snow during a cold winter day or night while smoking weed that I have a hard time listening to it anymore if I'm not high.
Something about the combo of the winter, the weed smoke and the doom-death atmosphere of that album--yeah, everything about that combo goes great together.

I used to play this album during some time while taking a hot bath in winter.

colin040 wrote:
I let random.org decide what metal album I'll listen to during the first moment I actually have time to listen to an entire album each day. :p

I usually wake up with a song in my head every morning so that's the starting point for me.
LOL!

Rofl!

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:17 pm 

Idolsofchagrin wrote:
I don't have that many traditions but I have certain bands and albums I like for certain occassions, especially when using drugs or alcohol.

Master's Hammer's "Ritual" is my favorite beer drinking album.

I'll just sit down for an hour straight listening to it while drinking good beer (preferably Belgian or Belgian style ales) and it really takes me places.

I don't take Vicodin/Percocet often, but if I do manage to have some handy I like to listen to Arcturus's "Sham Mirrors" while on it while melting into my bed and for some reason the spacey vibe of that album goes along perfectly with the feeling.

Excellent. Particularly the Master's Hammer Ritual (hah)

SO this has definitely been a tradition for many years now among many friends and I....Iron Maiden's "Two Minutes to Midnight" before the clock strikes 12 on New year's eve. I can't remember the last time I was somewhere this didn't happen. Everyone sings along, especially to the chorus of course, and many drinks are quaffed. This tradition pleases me greatly.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

true_death
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:29 pm 

I always listen to Mercyful Fate's "In the Shadows", Portrait - "Crimen Laesae Majestitis Divinae" & also generally a lot of King Diamond around Halloween. This past Halloween I listened to the entire King Diamond discography, in chronological order, over the course of a few days. I don't really have much else though that is conscious, aside from usually throwing on some Death or Dio on their birthdays.

Twisted_Psychology
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:57 pm 

I usually put on some sort of black metal album on the first snowfall of the season, usually Sons of Northern Darkness.

And I am one of those people who breaks out the more occult stuff around Halloween. You'll find a lot of Mercyful Fate, King Diamond, Venom, Ghost B.C., Type O Negative, Pentagram, and the like on my playlist around then.

severzhavnost
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:49 pm 

Back when I used to work shifts that required me to wake up at 4:45, I liked to put on Greenland's Arctic Spirits during the frozen pre-dawn bus ride.

Other than that, really heavy snowfall and brutal cold call for Branikald. It just works as snow-shovelling music. And I enjoy a good Sacrifice and Razor binge on Canada Day.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next