Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:28 am 

So I just decided today at 3:20 in the morning to see what was up on Swanö's offficial forums, just for the hell of it. Dan Swanö has to be my favorite all around metal guy. Witherscape was great and now he's got Nightingale's new album, set to be released this November 10th.

http://insideoutmusic.com/release.aspx?IdRelease=1728

(fantastic cover art by Travis Smith)

Quote:
Originally titled “Bravado” in the working stages, “Retribution” offers up 10 songs steeped in uncomplicated '70s and early '80s-flavoured rock. Tracks such as 'Chasing The Storm Away', 'Forevermore' and 'The Maze' could have easily found a home on commercial rock radio 30 years ago, yet the album is completely relevant in 2014. Fans of Swanö's heavier works that are unfamiliar with Nightingale may be surprised the simplicity of the music and the band's non-aggressive approach.

"It's not easy to write simple stuff that's good," Swanö points out, suggesting people take a good long listen to “Retribution” rather than dismissing it.

In Swanö's estimation “Retribution” succeeds because the songs "just kind of happened." He never set out to write any specific parts; the music is in fact a result of spontaneous moments, whether it was an accidental combination of notes on a keyboard that became an opening riff ('On Stolen Wings') or an odd guitar tuning ('Warriors Of The Dawn'). On top of that, the songs were hashed out in the rehearsal room before the band went into the studio, resulting in major changes to some of the music as it developed.

"When I listen to the record I don't want to have any regrets," explains Swanö. "There's no point in releasing a new Nightingale record if I don't think it's the best we ever did. That a pretty high standard to have, but if I don't feel that way when I listen to it the moment it's ready, it's got nothing to do with our back catalogue. That's the way I've felt with every record."

Asked to sum up what “Retribution” means to him with regards to Nightingale's legacy, Swanö offers the following: "Classic rock with that pomp attitude really inspired me. I just wanted a good production that could hold up well against a band like Alter Bridge but still have a bit of the sonic charisma of the records from '79, which was a great year for music. The target was to make a timeless record with good, classy songs that the four of us can agree are really cool."

Also, Swanö and his wife started "Swanö merch" https://www.facebook.com/swanomerch

Spoiler: show

MUUUUSSSST HHHHAAAVVVVVVVVVEE
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Last edited by OzzyApu on Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Milo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:37 am 

Will it be as original and groundbreaking as the title?

DeathcoreDecimator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:47 am 

I was excited til I read hard rock. I was a bit put down, but still interested. Then I read further to where he used "Alter Bridge" as a comparison. Needless to say I'll be skipping this one. Another Moontower would be cool but this Nightingale stuff is for the birds.

Tron_79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:56 am 

DeathcoreDecimator wrote:
I was excited til I read hard rock. I was a bit put down, but still interested. Then I read further to where he used "Alter Bridge" as a comparison. Needless to say I'll be skipping this one. Another Moontower would be cool but this Nightingale stuff is for the birds.

Nightingale has never really been that metal though. a few songs perhaps are but in general it is more rock. With that said, i enjoy almost all the Nightingale releases so will be checking this out too

my last.fm

DeathcoreDecimator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:13 pm 

I realize that, I'm just disappointed that he is choosing to do this rather than something metal. Shit, if he put out a d-beat record I'd be more interested than with a hard rock one. But it's his creative life not mine, I'm just an asshole complaining on a message board.

Xlxlx
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:15 pm 

Nightingale is quite possibly my favourite Swanö project. I will definitely check this out.
I wish I had a black hole and an infinite supply of B83 atomic bombs, each time letting the heat barely rub against all of you before sucking it back with a black hole so I could slowly nuke the previous page over and over again for all time.

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:17 pm 

I've read about the rel. date a few weeks ago and keep checking for song snippets since then.
Can't wait for the album! Nightingale is by far my fave Swanö stuff!

click to visit my Deviantart-Page for some logo and shirt design work
(contact me if your band needs a new logo or anything design related)

true_death
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:16 pm 

I realize that, I'm just disappointed that he is choosing to do this rather than something metal. Shit, if he put out a d-beat record I'd be more interested than with a hard rock one. But it's his creative life not mine, I'm just an asshole complaining on a message board.

Well, he's working on a second solo album now, which he claims will be more "death metal" than "Moontower" was, so there's still something to be excited about! Plus, Witherscape are recording a new EP.

this Nightingale stuff is for the birds.

:lol:

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:55 pm 

First song can be heard here: http://classicrock.teamrock.com/news/20 ... in-7-years

I love it! Could also have been on either "Alive again" or "Invisible" - great! I need the album NOW!

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:02 pm 

Hope it's not just me being unable to hear that. Soundcloud doesn't play the song or nothing. Just loads the orange bar and stops. :(

Heard Nightingale's first four this morning while I was at work and I liked them way less than I remembered. They got progressively better, that's for sure. First one was inconsistent and dated, second was mostly boring, third was hitting it good but also inconsistent, and the fourth felt like the most complete sound since the band's inception. Also sounded quite similar to current-day Amorphis. This is coming from someone who's had the albums for years at this point and remembers liking them a lot.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:09 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
Also sounded quite similar to current-day Amorphis...

Hm, I never heard newer Amorphis on any of their albums…

I, too, had some problems with Soundcloud stuff but this evening Safari managed to play it. Huzzah!

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:24 pm 

grauer_mausling wrote:
OzzyApu wrote:
Also sounded quite similar to current-day Amorphis...

Hm, I never heard newer Amorphis on any of their albums…

I can't remember what song from Alive Again (I wasn't allowed to check while listening / long story regarding job detail) but it was a dead-on riff / melody and style that I could have heard on any Joutsen Amorphis album. Just no growls. Heard it more than once with a few others.

Edit: Soundcloud player worked now. Liked the song.

KinskiTemper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:43 pm 

The guy has more metal in his catalog than anything else. I love hearing his melodic/progressive rock roots come through with Nightingale, and especially the earlier records where he was heavily influenced by Sisters of Mercy.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:35 pm 

Das leak. Fantastic album. They didn't skip a beat between White Darkness and this. Reinvigorating after a long day's work. It may protract a tad near the end but I think they kept it together quite well. First half though is really good stuff.

brandon1986
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:37 pm 

Very good album. The chorus to "On Stolen Wings" has been stuck in my head all day.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:47 pm 

Further updates, new Witherscape. I only just found out about this apparently. If it's elsewhere on the forum... I didn't check. I mean beyond this thread, which it was mentioned.

https://www.facebook.com/nightingalesweden

Spoiler: show
WITHERSCAPE
To release “The New Tomorrow” EP in December!

WITHERSCAPE,
the stunning new dark metal outfit formed by Swedish singer,
multi-instrumentalist and producer extraordinaire Dan Swanö
(ex Edge Of Sanity/Bloodbath, Nightingale, etc.)
together with fellow Swedish multi-instrumentalist
Ragnar Widerberg, are about to release the EP
“The New Tomorrow” via Century Media Records
on December 8th, 2014.

Succeeding last year’s acclaimed debut album “The Inheritance”, which was voted “album of the month” by Germany’s Rock Hard magazine and also entered the official sales charts in Germany on position # 97 upon release, the new EP marks a conceptual and musical bridge between the thick concept of the debut and their upcoming sophomore album, expected for a late 2015 release.

Here is the tracklisting of the EP:

WITHERSCAPE – “The New Tomorrow” EP:
1. The New Tomorrow (4:42)
2. Defenders Of Creation (4:27)
3. A World Without Heroes (2:36)
4. Out In The Cold (6:35)
5. Dead For Another Day (4:40)

“The New Tomorrow” contains 5 unreleased songs:
A brand new (title) track, 3 cover songs
(“Defenders Of Creation” by Warrior, “A World Without Heroes” by Kiss and “Out In The Cold” by Judas Priest) and “Dead For Another Day” (an extension of the debut album’s “Dead For A Day” single).

Its CD version (10 tracks) will also include special vinyl-mix versions of the same songs as bonus and the Digital Download version

(7 tracks) includes another 2 bonus cover songs
(“A Cry For Everyone” by Gentle Giant and “Last Rose Of Summer” by Judas Priest) from the sessions of “The Inheritance”, which are so far digitally unreleased.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:58 am 

I'm greatly amused by the choice to cover a song from "Music From 'The Elder'", but I guess somebody's gotta show that album some love sometime. Aside from that, I enjoyed the hell out of the first Witherscape album, so I'll definitely be giving this one a listen as well.
Blacksoul Seraphim Doomgaze
Thy Ancient Crypt Blackened Death Metal

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:45 am 

Damn, only one new song, three covers and an offshot of an album track... I really hate these kind of EPs to be honest, as in, what's the point for a fan? Can't they just slap the cover tracks on the digibook/digipak limited editions of the next album? As much as I enjoyed The Inheritance I think I'll pass. I prefer my EPs to have more substance (i.e. original songs).

Reply to topic