Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:07 pm 

Well, guess the title of the thread kind of spoils all the fun. These Copenhagen dudes are about to release a new album, after the very interesting S/T release from 2012. Came as a bit of a surprise though, as I was browsing their page to get the Bandcamp link to buy the debut and was happy enough to find the new album entry already added. Guess I'll have to wait another month and most likely buy both.

I'm not sure how well known this band is around here, but I've found their debut album to be really interesting. Melodic, atmospheric, soaring and almost depressive in nature, but more so in a "dark rainy day" setting than a "cut your wrists" kind of depressing. Oh yes, black metal, yes. Almost forgot that part! :D

Here's the BC link where the debut can be fully streamed: http://solbrud.bandcamp.com/releases

Anyone else hyped for this?

Natskygge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:47 am 

I am now! I'd heard they were working on new stuff (last time I saw them live they apparently also played something from it), but I wasn't aware it was this close to be released. They're one of my favourite bands to see live, every time has been absolutely amazing - like being wrapped in a blanket of darkness.

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:36 am 

I'm not alone! :D

You should know then that they're going to do shows to promote the release of the new album. The banners/dates are on their FB page. ;)

Natskygge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:35 am 

For some reason I've never "liked" their FB-page, but now I'm planning to go to their release show. Thanks for the notice. :)

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:52 am 

They're getting pretty big in Denmark now.

I got the promo from Mighty Music (the label), so I've already listened to Jærtegn a couple of times. It's good stuff, if you liked the first one you'll definitely like the second as well.

Looking forward to getting it on CD and vinyl too, and I could really use a new shirt... My last shirt has almost turned gray with a white-ish splotch in the middle :lol:

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:48 am 

Zerberus wrote:
They're getting pretty big in Denmark now.

I got the promo from Mighty Music (the label), so I've already listened to Jærtegn a couple of times. It's good stuff, if you liked the first one you'll definitely like the second as well.

That's good to know on both accounts. And now you got me even more excited about it! Argh... to wait a month for it... :grumble:

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:12 pm 

Apparently they've played the first half the album live before (the first two songs from the album). I'll leave them here for anyone who's interested. Full HD videos by the way, and the songs sound pretty damn cool! ;)

Sortedøden - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5-XAXLyUHs
Afbed - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8zlg2w13Gk

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:52 pm 

Album out, full streaming on Bandcamp: https://solbrud.bandcamp.com/album/j-rtegn

Kind of pricey tough, with both albums at 16€. :( Listening through it and first impressions are good. More direct like some reviews seemed to point at, but still with the penchant for melody from the debut album. It leaves a bit of the doomier side of the debut in favour of an angrier approach apparently. "Afbed" kind of reminds me of Angantyr with its "epic" vibe too.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:51 am 

Yeah, Target/Mighty Music are greedy bastards, so the new album is more expensive than the last one. Fun fact, the band had printed the vinyl version of the debut themselves because their old label only wanted to release the CD. This time the label are handling the vinyl as well as the CD.

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:04 am 

Oh man, "Klippemennesket" is such an awesome track! :nods:

TheNiceNightmare
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:41 pm 

Only listened to the debut once, thanks to this thread. It was pretty good, very beautiful in its own, subtle way. Planning to listen to Jaertegn once I'm able tonight, got high hopes for it based on what I've read so far!

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:23 am 

All the Danish review sites have given it high marks, most of them being 5/6.

TheNiceNightmare
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:08 am 

So yeah, this was pretty cool. Not that different from the debut, except with a bit more anger and violence as some have said, and it was a bit more...dare I say epic? A certain sense of grandeur, and a little more traditional '90s black metal stuff every now and then, all meshed nicely with the debut's style. As far as this kind of black metal goes, very worth hearing on a cold, chilly night.

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:59 pm 

Yeah, pretty much that. It feels like an evolution on the sound of the debut, but still leaving enough room for similarities. Now I just need to convince myself to spend another 38€ this month. :p

Reply to topic