Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SwedishRawPower
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:36 pm 

What do you think about this one?
It seems like it's an album that often gets overlooked in the Gorgoroth-catalogue, which in my opinion is not right at all since it's one hell of an album even if it's not in the same league as "Pentagram" or "Ad Majorem Sathanas Gloriam".

MaDTransilvanian
Caravan Beyond Redemption

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:45 pm 

I have it, although it usually gets a fraction of the attention I give to the three classics (three first albums) and even to the last album, to a certain extent. It seems more akin to Dark Funeral in some ways, it's not black enough I guess but I may be wrong since I haven't necessarily given it enough attention. I'll listen to it again and get back to you.

Gorgo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:28 pm 

It is more something you'll play once in 2 years just for the heck of it, most probably their last listenable album, the rest was total shit.

http://www.myspace.com/onrust1
"Acoustic music"

DaBuddha
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:54 pm 

There are some really good songs on there, but for the most part it's kind of boring.
We spread our wings and fly away

Just tell Nocturno Culto you were too busy getting stoned to burn down churches, he'll understand.
Darkthrone - My Anti-Drug

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:09 pm 

SwedishRawPower wrote:
it's one hell of an album even if it's not in the same league as "Pentagram" or "Ad Majorem Sathanas Gloriam".

You're technically correct in that it is not in the same league as Pentagram nor in the same league as Ad Majorem. But it is important to remember that Pentagram and Ad Majorem... are not even remotely comparable to each other.

MaDTransilvanian
Caravan Beyond Redemption

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:26 pm 

Well they're both varying forms of black metal. Pentagram obviously smokes Ad Majorem though, as it does with Incipit Satan.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:33 pm 

Ad Majorem Sathanas Gloriam bored the crap out of me, and this is coming from a huge fan of Twilight of the Idols. It's probably because of Frost's crappy, boring drumming (what else is new?) compared to Kvitrafn's greatness.

Oh, and Twilight and before had better riffs.

altagu
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:53 pm 

well, it has Unchain my Heart!!! which is my favourite black metal song ever, and the rest of the album is the good ol' gorgoroth i love, so, it's my favourite :)

TheJizzHammer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:10 am 

I used to have it and plan on getting it again, the title track sticks with me - I fucking love it!

WHile I'm very excited at the prospect of Infernus getting the Gorgoroth name, I do love Gaahl, his vocals, and the albums he sings on.

LiveForDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:31 am 

Incipit Satan is actually my favorite album of theirs. Can anyone help on the lyrics for An Excerpt of X and When Lve rages wild in my heart? They are both sung with clean vocals but I can only make out a few lines from each song. I'll post what I can make out later because I'm at work.

UpInSmoke
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:05 pm 

I just couldn't get into it like Twilight of the Idols or Under the Sign of Hell.

lord_abraxas
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:37 am 

Bezerko wrote:
Ad Majorem Sathanas Gloriam bored the crap out of me, and this is coming from a huge fan of Twilight of the Idols. It's probably because of Frost's crappy, boring drumming (what else is new?) compared to Kvitrafn's greatness.

Since when drums are an important part in black metal?

GoatSodomyGasMask
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:21 am 

LiveForDoom wrote:
Incipit Satan is actually my favorite album of theirs. Can anyone help on the lyrics for An Excerpt of X and When Lve rages wild in my heart? They are both sung with clean vocals but I can only make out a few lines from each song. I'll post what I can make out later because I'm at work.

You better not or Gaahl will tie you up, beat you with a hammer, drink your blood and possibly sodomize you. :headbang:

Soulside_Traveller
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:34 am 

Well in my opinion it is the last good Gorgoroth album. Twilight of the Idols and Ad Majorem are so boring and too similar to Dark Funeral's so called black metal. Incipit Satan is Quite interesting at some points. Very Creative but lacks the brilliant atmosphre that the former albims had.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:13 am 

How can Twilight of the Idols be compared to Dark Funeral, though? The album is full of midpaced scetions, sometimes, even entire songs.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

Shallow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:19 am 

It's got some of the most boring songs in history. A few good ones, a few lacking. Gaahl's extremely bland monologue's are one example of what's not right with the album.

Tantalus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:14 pm 

lord_abraxas wrote:
Bezerko wrote:

Since when drums are an important part in black metal?

Since D.D. Crazy, beeatch.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:10 pm 

I don't like Gorgoroth anymore. Or at least the Gaahl era. I think the band has been much too interested in just sensationalizing their image in the media with a reputation as "leaders of Norwegian black metal" and "introducing fear and terror to the metal masses around the world." That was basically their message on that ridiculous True Norwegian Black Metal documentary. On it, King ov Hell was stated as saying that the band is only interested in promoting their image more than the music now. That's when the band finally lost me. Basically, they're beating a dead horse these days.

I need only watch something like the bonus footage from Darkthrone's cd to realize that Fenriz and Nocturno Culto are the real dudes who represent true black metal. Those guys know they pretty much pioneered the sound and don't give two shits about how it looks in the papers beyond kicking out fucking killer black metal albums.

vinnie_vegas87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:18 pm 

:headbang::headbang::headbang:
I'm a huge Gorgoroth mark but I'd put this as #2 overall... (of their albums)
:headbang::headbang::headbang:

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.