Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
abyss696
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:12 am 

I have just renewed my Terrorizer subscription for the third year, but I need more extreme and underground proffesional publication. I have recently heard about this UK publication called Zero Tolerance Magazine. As a great lover of printed magazines and in the lack of them in my country (Spain), I'd like to ask you about the quality of this publication and if it's worth to make a subscription (it costs 25 £ for six numbers).
Thanks!

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:18 am 

I've seen two issues in stores, they seemed very good for a magazine with shiny paper. :)

Tantalus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:34 am 

Great magazine, very small font though - not for the short-sighted. However, they gave me album of the issue this issue, so they can do what the fuck they like with the fonts.

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:12 pm 

Zero Tolerance is a great magazine, it features more underground artists than Terrorizer nowadays. My only problem with it is the somewhat silly/childish columns like the agony aunt page and the Vic Norseman regular column -- I could live without these.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:27 pm 

Nah, Vic Norseman stays! Legalise Murder was a classic and his humour is always welcome, I can remember one great column about how great Hammer Horror is and how shit modern tele is. Otherwise a great magazine with usually great articles.

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:32 pm 

I have been a subscriber since Issue #1. I have them all on my shelf and each and everyone is excellent. The writing is amazing, the layout is superb and every page is filled to the brim with information. I wish they did a bit more interviewing though each article gives a great sense of what the artists are trying to convey. Definitely check the magazine out.

abyss696
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:01 pm 

Yeah! I think I'm going to make the one year subscription, then.

Thanks alot to everybody!!!

NeglectedField
Onwards to Camulodunum!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:20 pm 

I highly recommend it. I buy it religiously. Also it's a general extreme/'out there' music magazine, so no dumb metal cliches, for the most part.

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:16 am 

The one thing is occasionally there is an issue where Nathan T Birk writes almost everything in the magazine and its almost impossible to read because his style is absolutely ridiculously difficult to understand. He is a great writer though. I prefer digging through his Apocalyptic Raidz section in metal maniacs though. Its faster and has a ton more information than the six or seven black metal bands he interviews each issue for ZT.

~Guest 93445
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:09 am 

great magazine (zt)
they cram alot in there i'll tell you that!

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:41 am 

I want to start a subscription for Terrorizer but since it is an import, it's damn expensive. It's probably $50 for a half year. A very solid metal mag all around but this Zero Tolerance has peaked my interest too. Hopefully it is cheaper. In these times, I can't spring too much. I always have to go to actual bookstores or record stores to pick up copies. The grocery stores are out of the question. I wish we could put up a bonfire to burn every Metal Edge magazine issue on the shelf.

Chaos_Llama
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:11 am 

very expensive x_x

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:27 am 

Depends what kind of metal you are into. If you like the slightly more commercial stuff then go for Terrorizer otherwise get Zero Tolerance instead. Terrorizer is still pretty good and when I say commercial I don't mean Metal Hammer commercial.
Because they are not considered metal? This is not fare!!!

Naedra
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:32 am 

It's a decent magazine (I've been reading it for about 3 years now) I like the layout and the coverage of lesser known artists who otherwise wouldn't get the time of day in other publications.
The underground BM section is interesting though within the last few months it's really just been covering orthodox and bestial black metal bands, but still pretty decent (though I do get a hint of pseudo-intellectualism from some of the writers in it, I like to read reviews which I don't need to have a thesaurus at the ready :lol: ). I miss Alec Kurtagic's article's, I mean hell I couldn't understand half of what he was saying (I was almost starting to learn Kurtagicnese before they stopped running them) but it was always fun nevertheless.

Yours sincerly
ZT editor
:lol: I'm joking of course :oh shit:

~Guest 93445
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:07 am 

LMAO

frozenaeons
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:27 am 

marktheviktor wrote:
I want to start a subscription for Terrorizer but since it is an import, it's damn expensive. It's probably $50 for a half year. A very solid metal mag all around but this Zero Tolerance has peaked my interest too. Hopefully it is cheaper. In these times, I can't spring too much. I always have to go to actual bookstores or record stores to pick up copies. The grocery stores are out of the question. I wish we could put up a bonfire to burn every Metal Edge magazine issue on the shelf.

It's about the same for ZT. £33 for 6 issues = something around $50.

TheDave
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:28 pm 

orionmetalhead wrote:
The one thing is occasionally there is an issue where Nathan T Birk writes almost everything in the magazine and its almost impossible to read because his style is absolutely ridiculously difficult to understand. He is a great writer though. I prefer digging through his Apocalyptic Raidz section in metal maniacs though. Its faster and has a ton more information than the six or seven black metal bands he interviews each issue for ZT.

Does Alex De Moller still write for them? By the way I used to post with you on the old metal review forum back from 04-05, If those are the years I recall correctly.

WinterBliss
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:02 pm 

I used to be a big fan of metal maniacs, but after get 4 issues for free i lost much interest in it. it's like 20 for a year's worth though, and Nathan T. Birk always has some interesting black metal band he's willingly to expose.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.