Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:07 pm 

In a bad way, yet stayed in the genre that they've been playing.

Morbid Angel is possible the best example of this. Altars of Madness and Blessed are the Sick are both death metal masterpieces in my opinion, while Covenant is pretty boring death metal. The vocals sound too forced, weak and pretty tired. The guitarwork is pretty shit, weak and slow. (Angel of Disease is a great song in my opinion.)

red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:16 pm 

I find everything done with David Vincent as great innovative and powerfull Death Metal, even Domination, wich is different, but great. A band that may fit the thread theme is Benediction, the albums up to Transcend the Rubicon are great, the rest is nothing but forgetable
Not hearsay but the will of man

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:50 pm 

Therion has had the most dramatic change in my opinion. They went from playing straight up Death Metal, to Symphonic Metal and do a brilliant job playing each. Godkiller has also had a constant change in style, each album he releases is a different genre then the last.

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:54 pm 

Lo and behold:
http://www.metal-archives.com/board/vie ... hp?t=44549

Full album for streaming/download: http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.facebook.com/HalberdDoom

Manic616
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:03 pm 

This thread isnt about bands that changes style of genre if you read the first post, its about bands that stay the same, just become bad at it.

the16th6toothson
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:27 pm 

Manic616 wrote:
This thread isnt about bands that changes style of genre if you read the first post, its about bands that stay the same, just become bad at it.

ah gotcha! nice call...

so Benediction, aye i like all of their stuff but after Transcend the Rubicon there was a sharp decline in quality, however i DO like...ALL of their albums. and a great deal as well. the new one Killing Music though is easily their most brutal, savage, aggressive, intense, relentless and nasty album in their entire career, ...and pretty much by a long shot.

~Guest 62838
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:52 pm 

the16th6toothson wrote:
the new one Killing Music though is easily their most brutal, savage, aggressive, intense, relentless and nasty album in their entire career, ...and pretty much by a long shot.

:lol:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:43 pm 

Freedom Call started out playing the most candy-assed, happy, cheery music ever, but around the halfway mark of their career they got the idea they weren't cool enough, so basically they started playing some of the worst shit you'll ever hear in the modern PM genre. Totally uninspired, worthless crap with laughable "innovations" that don't seem to add anything at all - a children's choir, synth pop, some flutes and other inane things. Lame.

invoked
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:54 pm 

iAm wrote:
Therion has had the most dramatic change in my opinion. They went from playing straight up Death Metal, to Symphonic Metal and do a brilliant job playing each. Godkiller has also had a constant change in style, each album he releases is a different genre then the last.

Please read the OP.

Anyway, I'd point out Obituary as a band that has been very consistent in terms of style, but has also decreased in quality. The first two albums are great, classics of death metal, but after that they became incredibly boring and monotonous, the most recent album being downright laughable. Actually, this fate seems to have befallen many Florida-style death metal bands, including Deicide, Hate Eternal, Massacre, Malevolent Creation, etc.

the16th6toothson
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:01 pm 

invoked wrote:
iAm wrote:

Please read the OP.

Anyway, I'd point out Obituary as a band that has been very consistent in terms of style, but has also decreased in quality. The first two albums are great, classics of death metal, but after that they became incredibly boring and monotonous, the most recent album being downright laughable. Actually, this fate seems to have befallen many Florida-style death metal bands, including Deicide, Hate Eternal, Massacre, Malevolent Creation, etc.

how could you include Massacre, even if it's personal opinion, the last album was a HUGE departure and similar in name only, besides that fact the only material that band had written was between 85 and 92... are you referring to the material on the oldest demos compared to Inhuman Condition...that actually had a song from the 80's, or the "real" Massacre to "Promise"??....

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:15 pm 

There are so many bands I could list for this, but I won't. Running Wild has been in a slow decline for almost two decades without really changing at all, except slowing down a little. I think it's the result of losing energy more than anything else.

DaBuddha
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:28 pm 

It could be argued that Darkthrone still play black metal, so thus I choose them. FOAD and DTABF are utter garbage, save for a few riffs here and there. Even fucking Ravishing Grimness is a classic compared to those two.
We spread our wings and fly away

Just tell Nocturno Culto you were too busy getting stoned to burn down churches, he'll understand.
Darkthrone - My Anti-Drug

KingVold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:02 pm 

when I think of style changes, I think fo GWAR...
In the 80's, they were this stupidly funny, incompetent, hardcore punk group with bad production.
Now, there a satirical, technical, thrash (with oh-so-unfortuante deathcore overtones) band with overproduction.

DrOctavia
Do Dark Horses Dream of Nightmares?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:08 pm 

KingVold wrote:
In the 80's, they were this stupidly funny, incompetent, hardcore punk group with bad production.
Now, there a satirical, technical, thrash (with oh-so-unfortuante deathcore overtones) band with overproduction.

Haha, what?

In the heat and the rain, with the whips and chains
To see him fly, so many die
We built a tower of stone, with our flesh and bone
Just to see him fly, but we don't know why
Now where do we go?

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:13 pm 

Cannibal Corpse and Deicide would be my pick. I don't like any of their newer shit because they just get predictable and boring and so many other death metal bands are out there with as little fanfare as possible but do it right.

KingVold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:14 pm 

DrOctavia wrote:
KingVold wrote:

Haha, what?

I dunno. i hear it at least. Have you heard Beyond Hell? They have several songs with breakdowns that seem clearly inspired by deathcore.
Probably just me.

DrOctavia
Do Dark Horses Dream of Nightmares?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:20 pm 

I haven't heard Beyond Hell, but everything I've read about it suggests that it's in the vein of their latest albums. GWAR have never tried to resemble death metal at all, and the punkish vibe of the music has always been there -- breakdowns included.

In the heat and the rain, with the whips and chains
To see him fly, so many die
We built a tower of stone, with our flesh and bone
Just to see him fly, but we don't know why
Now where do we go?

KingVold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:22 pm 

DrOctavia wrote:
I haven't heard Beyond Hell, but everything I've read about it suggests that it's in the vein of their latest albums. GWAR have never tried to resemble death metal at all, and the punkish vibe of the music has always been there -- breakdowns included.

The breakdowns dont seem very punkish to me. In there earlier material maybe, but not lately.

Deucalion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:27 pm 

invoked wrote:
Hate Eternal

Is Hate Eternal really a Florida-style band? I've heard very little of them...The stuff I heard seemed quite modern, not old school Florida sounding at all.

the16th6toothson
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:32 pm 

yah, it just so happens Erik lives in Florida

at anyrate, most Floridian bands were Buffalonians who migrated, and...he ain't even from Buffalo!!!

Deucalion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:07 pm 

the16th6toothson wrote:

at anyrate, most Floridian bands were Buffalonians who migrated, and...he ain't even from Buffalo!!!

That wasn't my point. They may be from Florida and record in Florida, but is their style really Florida old school death metal?

Cripple_Lizard18
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:58 pm 

Manic616 wrote:

THAT is why bands should change thier style a bit, because then they suck at what they do, think about it, if great bands would do the same stuff wed be tired of them and want them to change. i say the casual metal fan is equal to a spoiled brat no pun intended ofcourse

-EAT METAL!-

SladeCraven
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:38 pm 

Cryptopsy is a fairly obvious mention. Shadows Fall's latest really dissapointed me as well. Not a huge fan of them, but I did enjoy some tracks from previous albums.

Another obvious mention in saying Metallica. I wouldn't consider them to have a complete genre change seeing as how they weren't that thrashy in the first place.

Slayer is certainly worthy of mention as well.

As for Moribd Angel, I am a fairly big fan of the Domination album for whatever reason. I like all of their contributions to death metal.

I second the Obituary addition as well. They used to be so great...

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:42 pm 

Decapitated. Mikey will be pissed, but Organic Hallucinosis sucks!

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:44 pm 

colin040 wrote:
In a bad way, yet stayed in the genre that they've been playing.

Morbid Angel is possible the best example of this. Altars of Madness and Blessed are the Sick are both death metal masterpieces in my opinion, while Covenant is pretty boring death metal. The vocals sound too forced, weak and pretty tired. The guitarwork is pretty shit, weak and slow. (Angel of Disease is a great song in my opinion.)

If you're saying you think Covenant sucks in comparison to the first 2 then that I can live with but to flat all call Covenant boring?! BLASPHEMY :nono:

cfvk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:54 pm 

abigor in a way.

superfetus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:34 pm 

Fear Factory. I don't quite get the adrenaline-fueled feeling from any of their releases after the change of millenia.

As for Morbid Angel, I think Gateways To Annihilation is awesome. It's a different kind of death metal than their first albums, but it still kicks ass. Very underrated.

the16th6toothson
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:12 pm 

Deucalion wrote:
the16th6toothson wrote:

That wasn't my point. They may be from Florida and record in Florida, but is their style really Florida old school death metal?

oh no i was agreeing with you and adding an extra point

Hate Eternal isn't at all like the classic Morrisound...sound or style
AND he was never from Buffalo

:)

agreed on Decapitated, O.H. blows butthole

invoked
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:39 pm 

Deucalion wrote:
the16th6toothson wrote:

Listen to Conquering the Throne and tell me that doesn't resemble Morbid Angel of the same era.

PriestofSadWings
Bishop of Dark Spaces

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:55 pm 

Iced Earth is one of the better examples of this. They're still playing the same style, somewhere in between thrash and power metal, but they've gotten less inspired with each album.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:11 pm 

Manic616 wrote:

not necessarily "become bad at it" either, though.

the16th6toothson
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:31 pm 

rexxz wrote:
Manic616 wrote:

not necessarily "become bad at it" either, though.

i guess i would put UnleasheD in this category
the last 3 are certainly, as a whole-quite different than the first 3 but are prettyyyy damn EXCELLENT in their own way.

altagu
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:43 am 

Hate Eternal's new album really blows, "I, Monarch" is one of my favourite brutal death albums ever, but I think by next album they'll be back to the old HE.

latinfiestacarnage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:49 am 

Cryptopsy, no I'm not talking about their present stuff I'm talking about And then you'll beg. I really didn't like that cd at all. Shroud was the only good song.

WarriorsDawn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:13 am 

Persuader. Now, they didn't really get BAD at power metal, but When Eden Burns was too Savage Circus-y.

AnthologyMetal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:10 am 

Slayer in the eighties, like Show No Mercy from their on when they lost Dave Lombardo and when Paul Bestoph came into his place in Divine Intervention Slayer went from fun to pissed off metal.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:15 am 

Haha, what? Slayer were kind of always pissed off a little bit. I can get behind that, though. You should also include God Hates Us All and Christ Illusion because there are still thrash metal tendencies on those album, but in a weird half-breed kind of way.

doom_monger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:20 pm 

SladeCraven wrote:
Another obvious mention in saying Metallica. I wouldn't consider them to have a complete genre change seeing as how they weren't that thrashy in the first place.

What? Kill 'em All, Ride the Lightning, not that thrashy? Those are seminal records that helped define the sound, how can they not be "that thrashy"?

TheDave
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:29 pm 

Napalm Death

Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:55 pm 

Misainzig wrote:
Decapitated. Mikey will be pissed, but Organic Hallucinosis sucks!

The vocals on Organic left a bad taste in my mouth, but it's still Decapitated. I can't say it sucks, due to a disorder that makes me instantly like all things metal - but it is my least favorite.

I have to say Pig Destroyer. Terrifier was a step toward experimentation and it was taken to the extreme on Phantom Limb. The riffs are overtly rockish, the grind is somewhat forced and you get the feeling that Relapse production and marketing made up for all of it.

I still like PxDx but I fear their next release will be tame.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next