Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
possessedbyfire
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:28 pm 

Hi folks,
Which was the first Heavy Metal Album pressed on CD?
I am looking for an answer to this question for houres but I couldn´t find one. So please help and tell about the day of release.
THX
possessedbyfire

mentalselfmutilation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:19 pm 

i'd probably say something along the lines of priest, sabbath, maiden, or metallica.

666head
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:26 pm 

I have a copy of Judas Priest's Turbo albm on CD with a 1986 copyright. Could've been one of the first.

Sepulturafreak
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:34 pm 

CD's were being pressed before 1986 I'm sure, even as early as the very late 70s/early 80s unless I'm wrong. I have an old CD of Maiden's "Powerslave" with a 1984 copyright, the year it was released. I'd imagine only the big groups of the time like Maiden or Priest, Sabbath etc would have been able to afford it though, seeing as it would have been a new and expensive thing at the time, same for CD players.

Zerroth
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:49 pm 

After 5 minutes of searching. Supposedly 'Animalize' by KISS was the first metal album to be pressed onto CD according to some guy on this thread in another forum.

http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/sho ... ber=381909

His quote being:

"I remember when Kiss came out with the first heavy metal album on CD, Animalize, and there was a bit of controversy because journalists feared it would be too loud, that it might destroy the CD player and perhaps the CD itself. I don't know if that's Gene Simmons superhype, or the classical people who didn't want their digital discs tainted with unserious music, but I remember reading letters from people who were worried about the volume."

But i cant find anything else to back that up.

GVOLTT
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:10 pm 

Zerroth wrote:
After 5 minutes of searching. Supposedly 'Animalize' by KISS was the first metal album to be pressed onto CD according to some guy on this thread in another forum.

Kiss never released a metal album, otherwise they'd be here on M-A. Besides, Animalize was released 10 days after the album Sepulturafreak brought up, Iron Maiden's Powerslave, was released. I wouldn't know, however, if that was the first metal album released on CD. I'll look into it.

Cold_Winter_Sun
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:12 pm 

My Iron Maiden 'Piece of Mind' and Metallica 'Kill em All' CD's have 1983 (P) without a separate (C) date, and I've had both of them since the early '90's so they may be originals.
I'm not sure how much to read into the dates though...a lot of my other classic album releases have a separate date for each, corresponding to when the album was first published e.g. (P)1978 (C) 1996 for 'Live and Dangerous', but some have identical (P) & (C) dates e.g. my remastered Rainbow 'Rising' has 1976 for both.

At the moment my earliest is Piece of Mind.

What I'm going to do now is search through all my old vinyl circa 1983 and look for any 'also available on cd' notes on the covers.

Possessedbyfire - now look what you've started! :)

Gompidge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:30 pm 

'Maiden was on CD in 1982, according to this:

http://www.discogs.com/release/383109

..Not checked for other potential bands/releases though.

doom_monger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:31 pm 

GVOLTT wrote:
Zerroth wrote:

Kiss never released a metal album, otherwise they'd be here on M-A.

Wonderful logic there, guy.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:18 am 

It is wonderful logic, as it works perfectly. Metal bands exist on here, regardless of history. We have Underoath; KISS are not excluded because of some people who hold them in a negative light.
Hehe, foreskins.

CircleovZaphyan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:28 am 

Yep... M-A is the know-all, end-all of metal. :roll:

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:32 am 

It is..KISS were hard rock..period...

invoked
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:48 am 

Whatever your opinion about MA is, Kiss is still most definitely irrelevant to this discussion, which pertains exclusively to metal. So far we have 1982 as the earliest date, which makes sense since Wikipedia claims that the Compact Disc was first on the market in October 1982. So if Iron Maiden was, as you claim, pressed to CD that year, that's probably our most likely candidate.

Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:07 am 

My Judas Priest Screaming for Vengeance CD is a 1982 release, that's the oldest I got.

CHRISTI_NS_ANITY8
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:37 am 

the debut album by Manowar is from 1982 and I have a Cd of it that seems original in my opinion...

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:24 am 

What about the Scorpions?

I have a version of Blackout at home, an 1982 version if I remember correctly and it sounds pretty naff... should have got the remaster!

potassium_cianide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:26 am 

I may be wrong, but the cd technology was released commercialy in 1982, right? So I don´t think any albums could be pressed in cd before that.

RegularK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:58 am 

potassium_cianide wrote:
I may be wrong, but the cd technology was released commercialy in 1982, right? So I don´t think any albums could be pressed in cd before that.

Yup.
Quote:
The CD, available on the market since October 1982...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cd

AurvandiL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:06 am 

CircleovZaphyan wrote:
Yep... M-A is the know-all, end-all of metal. :roll:

Quoted for ironic value. Agreed.

potassium_cianide wrote:

Wrong. I have a Kraftwerk "Radioactivity" CD dating (and looking like it's) from 1975.

As for the first Heavy Metal album, don't know, but probably in the end 70's, early 80's. My oldest Metal CD is probably Metal Church's debut. Or Celtic Frost's first EP's, 1984.

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:10 am 

AurvandiL wrote:
Wrong. I have a Kraftwerk "Radioactivity" CD dating (and looking like it's) from 1975.

CDs were invented only in 1979 (with some ideas dating back to 1977). :lol:

AurvandiL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:12 am 

Well, this CD says 1975, all over it. Not a single mention of it being first released on LP, or of any pressing year.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:19 am 

AurvandiL wrote:
Well, this CD says 1975, all over it. Not a single mention of it being first released on LP, or of any pressing year.

That is possible, but I hope you do not want to play H. G. Wells and create time paradox:
http://www.sony.net/Fun/SH/1-20/h5.html
http://www.melbpc.org.au/pcupdate/9802/ ... icle11.htm

In 1980 Sony and Philips set the standard for the digital audio (DA) compact disc format. In 1982, the first Sony CD player called the CD-101 was released with Billy Joel's 52nd Street being the first musical production. With the success of CDs the first portable car players became available in 1984. Then, in 1985, the automatic CD changer with a carousel appeared on the market. In the 1990s, the industry began to adopt various storage standards to unify the plethora of hybrid CD formats perfected by third-party developers. These commonly agreed-upon formats were published in a set of coloured-cover books, becoming commonly known by their de facto names as the coloured-book standards. Today many formats are available for various applications such as computer data storage (CD-ROM), imaging (PhotoCD), interactive multimedia (CDi), multi-session data and audio (mixed mode 1 & 2), with the most common of these being the digital audio (DA) format.
---
So it could be anything after 1982, but not sooner.

Last edited by Witcher on Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
AurvandiL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:21 am 

Argh, what can I do before such reckless hate :) ?

Well, I don't know, then.

humus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:22 pm 

I have a Trust CD which apparently was pressed in 1983. Must be one of the first. Kinda blows though.

Gutterscream
The Last Old Schooler in Town

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:34 pm 

Most musical formats (record, cd, cassette, eight track) have copyright dates on them, but it doesn't mean it's the date the release came out on that particular medium. Anyone who was alive and conscious in the late 70s/early 80s knows when you went to a music store, your choices of medium were cassette, lp, 45, or some leftover eight tracks from earlier. Reports of cds around '84 were more or less like sightings of Sasquatch, especially if you're from somewhere like Croatia.
"No, Lair...but that's a pretty damn good name too!".

deathcorpse
Super Cres at Best

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:45 pm 

In my music label travels, the common CD letters sent out to artists were at the earliest 1982, early 1983 across the board for the "new technology". The first actual rock pressing is Billy Joel's 52nd Street album, I believe.

If we are talking "metal" though, it would have to be something from late 82' or early 83'. I believe KISS Animalize is 1984, so that's a no-go. Edit: could it be Quiet Riot's METAL HEALTH album? The release date is March 11, 1983. Billy Joel's 52nd Street was released on CD October 1, 1982 alongside the Sony player in Japan. I think this could be the answer.

I remember seeing CDs in stores around mid-late 83' because I definitely started buying CDs in 84' and had a player back then. I think the first CD I bought was Rush's MOVING PICTURES.

~Guest 111864
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:41 pm 

Gutterscream wrote:
Reports of cds around '84 were more or less like sightings of Sasquatch, especially if you're from somewhere like Croatia.

You're completely false, dude. We (my parents) use to have CD's in the early 80's. And they were surely not the only one in our country to have it. I don't want to start a fight, no way, but thinking about Croatia as a primitive country is ridiculous. The life here is probably better than in most Europian countries (I have (or had) some cousins and friends in Germany, Russia and Slovenia and they say that the life is much better here, at least now, in recent years, so that is not my patriotism).

awm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:56 pm 

Gwar had stuff on CD when the earth was without form and void.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:59 pm 

doom_monger wrote:
GVOLTT wrote:
Zerroth wrote:

Kiss never released a metal album, otherwise they'd be here on M-A.

Wonderful logic there, guy.

I know right? Way to completely miss the point.

the16th6toothson
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:14 pm 

awm wrote:
GWAR had stuff on CD when the earth was without form and void.

i like this answer

the earlier i can remember CD's is Ozzy-Bark at the Moon
but i don't think it was on CD until 85...i might be wrong on that though going back to the memory of a 4/5 year old is somewhat difficult haha!

Gothus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:07 pm 

I have an Iron Maiden's Number of the Beast that says 1982, and the album was released on March 29th. It looks like it's original.

slammysamman wrote:
HOW IZ IT DETH METIL WITOUT BREAKDOWNZZZ????

Gutterscream

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:23 pm 

Lord_Sauron wrote:
Gutterscream wrote:
Reports of cds around '84 were more or less like sightings of Sasquatch, especially if you're from somewhere like Croatia.

You're completely false, dude. We (my parents) use to have CD's in the early 80's. And they were surely not the only one in our country to have it.

Your reaction is as if I'm not speaking from experience. If there was a cd section, it must've been so small that I missed it everytime I went to the store.

Obviously I'm not really up on what Croatia was like in '83 and I was merely using it as an example. Perhaps Madagascar would've been better (looks over shoulder to see if someone from there is going to come out of the woodwork).

~Guest 3496
Exterminator 666 Does Not Answer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:59 pm 

Gothus wrote:
I have an Iron Maiden's Number of the Beast that says 1982, and the album was released on March 29th. It looks like it's original.

It wasn't released on CD then.

It must be emphasized that CDs were not commercially available until late 1982, that the copyright and publishing dates do not reflect the actual release, and that some albums have many pressings (your "original version" of that '80s album could be the 5,000th pressing, done in 1996, and it might look almost exactly like an original copy).

shitbanger54
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:43 pm 

maybe a big band

Balaam_Abaddon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:44 pm 

Iron Maiden was before 1986 I believe.

Gothus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:47 pm 

PhantomOTO wrote:
Gothus wrote:

It wasn't released on CD then.

It must be emphasized that CDs were not commercially available until late 1982, that the copyright and publishing dates do not reflect the actual release, and that some albums have many pressings (your "original version" of that '80s album could be the 5,000th pressing, done in 1996, and it might look almost exactly like an original copy).

http://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/ ... the_beast/
I'm not sure if this site is too accurate, but the ID number on my cd, CDP 546364, matches with the US cd's ID number on the 1982 release. Again, I'm not too sure rateyourmusic is the most accurate source, but that's where I got my info.

slammysamman wrote:
HOW IZ IT DETH METIL WITOUT BREAKDOWNZZZ????

alcholocaust
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:19 am 

Rateyourmusic.com is you're best bet for that.

~Guest 111864
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:36 am 

Gutterscream wrote:
Lord_Sauron wrote:
Gutterscream wrote:

You're completely false, dude. We (my parents) use to have CD's in the early 80's. And they were surely not the only one in our country to have it.

Your reaction is as if I'm not speaking from experience. If there was a cd section, it must've been so small that I missed it everytime I went to the store.

Obviously I'm not really up on what Croatia was like in '83 and I was merely using it as an example. Perhaps Madagascar would've been better (looks over shoulder to see if someone from there is going to come out of the woodwork).

Sorry if I had been offensive, it wasn't what I wanted to do. I just wanted to say that there were some CD's in Croatia. Btw, you are one of my favourite board members because of your posts about early hard rock, so please forgive me if I had been too harsh.

Gutterscream

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:19 pm 

No, not at all. I have thicker skin than that, but perhaps 'You're completely false, dude.' wasn't the best way to say that I may be mistaken. Maybe I should've said more clearly that in the indie record stores I liked to frequent, buying a cd wasn't really an option because cds (and cd players) weren't really available en masse (the big chain stores seldom had anything underground, especially that early, so I rarely bothered going to those). Maybe the big chains had a growing section.

But the truth still remains that I barely recall seeing a cd in the early/mid '80s (up to, say, '86). It's entirely possible your parents were ahead of the curve and had a collection with something to play it on. Maybe I was certain it'd be a long time before underground stuff that I wanted to hear would be released on that format that I never even thought of purchasing a cd until some time later. To this day I'm still a elephantine vinyl buff, but I think most people who've been here for awhile know that.

euantheclansman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:06 pm 

Iron Maiden's Debut, Killers and Number of the Beast will be fairly early contenders

Orly?

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next