Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:32 pm 

yes, yes, i've searched forums and couldnt find one that i could use to find this info, (Dont seem to have much luck with the Forum Search thing) so ill just create a new thread......

Right now im kinda feeling like expanding my Glam Metal Collection. (Currently 59 Albums). i would rather be recommended the better bands of the genre, then sift through crap (e.g. Trixter). these bands are very well known, but are my two Favorites: DOKKEN, RATT. i also dig shit like CINDERELLA, LILLIAN AXE, KICK AXE, WARRANT, TANGIER, TWISTED SISTER, WASP, BRITNEY FOX, DANGER DANGER, GREAT WHITE, KEEL, HANOI ROCKS and many others.

what i would like to find now is RARER stuff, especially stuff from Europe: Poland, Scandinavia, UK, etc, or even Rarer stuff from the US/Canada

so, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rottenrectum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:34 pm 

I actually like Crashdïets first album. Maybe that isn't what you're looking for though.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:39 pm 

Rottenrectum wrote:
I actually like Crashdïets first album. Maybe that isn't what you're looking for though.

newer stuff?

havent listened to anything beyond 1992 from the genre so wouldnt know what to expect. whats the bands style like? is it a decent homage to the older (80's) stuff?

Dolf9271986
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:46 pm 

My best friend's dad was in an awesome heavy metal band back in the 80's. They put out 1 EP. It's really good, and if you know where to look, it's findable nowadays.

Tea_and_Crumpets wrote:
screamingstatue wrote:
I've always maintained that St Anger is actually a very good song.

ST ANGER ROUNDDD MA NECKKKA. HE NEVA' GETTS RESPECTT!

spaced
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:12 pm 

Dolf9271986 wrote:
My best friend's dad was in an awesome heavy metal band back in the 80's. They put out 1 EP. It's really good, and if you know where to look, it's findable nowadays.
You're right, one EP by an unnamed 80's heavy metal band shouldn't be hard to find at all. Great recommendation. :thumbsup:

Dolf9271986
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:18 pm 

spaced wrote:
Dolf9271986 wrote:
You're right, one EP by an unnamed 80's heavy metal band shouldn't be hard to find at all. Great recommendation. :thumbsup:

It's really not if you know where to look. And if you're looking for RARE things, then I fully expect you'll know where to look for these types of things.

Tea_and_Crumpets wrote:
screamingstatue wrote:

Manic616
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:19 pm 

Dolf9271986 wrote:
spaced wrote:
Dolf9271986 wrote:

It's really not if you know where to look. And if you're looking for RARE things, then I fully expect you'll know where to look for these types of things.

His point was that you didnt say the name of the band, so none of us can ever find the EP.

spaced
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:24 pm 

Dolf9271986 wrote:
spaced wrote:
Dolf9271986 wrote:

I guess you're right. I'll just put "Dolf9271986's best friend's dad's band" into Soulseek and download the EP right now. Thanks again.

Dolf9271986
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:31 pm 

HAHA HOLY fuck... Jesus Christ, sorry, I had no idea... Haha! I'm so bloody dumb. The band is called Black Knight, and the EP is Master Of Disaster.

Tea_and_Crumpets wrote:
screamingstatue wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:33 pm 

Dolf9271986 wrote:
HAHA HOLY fuck... Jesus Christ, sorry, I had no idea... Haha! I'm so bloody dumb. The band is called Black Knight, and the EP is Master Of Disaster.

Hey, that's a great EP. :headbang:

Dolf9271986
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:34 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Dolf9271986 wrote:

I know eh? My best friend's dad did the drums for it, Ken Beckthold. In fact, I've played on the exact drum kit haha!

Tea_and_Crumpets wrote:
screamingstatue wrote:

Symbolic12
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:36 pm 

Mother Love Bone perhaps?

korgull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:11 pm 

Not sure if these are rare enough, but...

You might like TNT from Norway. Their "Knights of the New Thunder" album is pretty good if you like that sort of thing. I haven't heard any of their more recent work. Apparently, their current vocalist is an ex-member of Dokken and Cinderella - which might interest you.
For a good example of their sound, try searching Youtube for the song "Seven Seas."

Also try T.T. Quick if you haven't already. Search Youtube for their songs "Front Burner" and "Metal of Honor" to get a good idea of what they have to offer.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:47 pm 

Don't call Twisted Sister glam - unless referring to 1973-1976 or the "Love Is For Suckers" album again and we have a deal =D.

Tigertailz first album "Young And Crazy" is awesome...umm...I'm not sure what is considered rare or not, but check out Sweet Savage as well if you haven't. Some other bands you haven't listed you should take a look at are Dangerous Toys, Pretty Boy Floyd (Even their new album is a fantastic slab of glam and sleaze.). Zancoma are also a decent more recent band to give a listen, although they aren't strictly glam. Mercyy are pretty decent, and give Veins Of Jenna a listen while you're at it.

That's about all off the top of my head, I might be able to give you more if I think about it for a bit longer. I've just realized how few glam metal bands I know off the top of my head, and now I am ashamed. Hahaha.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:55 pm 

Dolf9271986 wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
Dolf9271986 wrote:

I know eh? My best friend's dad did the drums for it, Ken Beckthold. In fact, I've played on the exact drum kit haha!

What does your best friend's dad do now? I assume he's not a metal drummer anymore. When I looked at Black Knight's band picture it made me curious, is he still into metal? Was it more or less a trend in his life? They seem fairly serious in the pic.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:32 am 

spaced wrote:
Dolf9271986 wrote:

just checked back on my *created* forum, and yes, thats exactly the sentiment i would be inclined to offer, but refrained due to high likelyhood of savage 1st degree burns.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:35 am 

korgull wrote:
Not sure if these are rare enough, but...

You might like TNT from Norway. Their "Knights of the New Thunder" album is pretty good if you like that sort of thing. I haven't heard any of their more recent work. Apparently, their current vocalist is an ex-member of Dokken and Cinderella - which might interest you.
For a good example of their sound, try searching Youtube for the song "Seven Seas."

Also try T.T. Quick if you haven't already. Search Youtube for their songs "Front Burner" and "Metal of Honor" to get a good idea of what they have to offer.

thanks for the recommmendation, and advance apoligies for spelling as have been getting drunk here in NZ all day, but yes, i love TNT and have all their shit worth getting, but if youve got anything in that vein it would be sweet.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:46 am 

TheUglySoldier wrote:
Don't call Twisted Sister glam - unless referring to 1973-1976 or the "Love Is For Suckers" album again and we have a deal =D.

Tigertailz first album "Young And Crazy" is awesome...umm...I'm not sure what is considered rare or not, but check out Sweet Savage as well if you haven't. Some other bands you haven't listed you should take a look at are Dangerous Toys, Pretty Boy Floyd (Even their new album is a fantastic slab of glam and sleaze.). Zancoma are also a decent more recent band to give a listen, although they aren't strictly glam. Mercyy are pretty decent, and give Veins Of Jenna a listen while you're at it.

That's about all off the top of my head, I might be able to give you more if I think about it for a bit longer. I've just realized how few glam metal bands I know off the top of my head, and now I am ashamed. Hahaha.

i'll feel free to call TS glam if i want to, coz ive ben into 'em for about 8 years, and i think that some people attach a shit connotation to glam even though a good glam/Heavy Metal band rules (i.e RATT). i was reluctant, and always have been, to attach said label to WASP but seems that the consensus on genre-orientation is such.i love TS and don't see why calling them glam is derogatory, and the "UNDER THE BLADE" album is definitely 70's Glam influenced, with an early HM edge (IMHO). (and yes, I know "Love is For Suckers")

Sweet Savage is fairly good, but i've been into them for a couple years. theyre inconsistent though, but appreciate your other recomendations; Zancoma, Pretty Boy Floyd, Mercyy etc. will listen to em immediately. PLEASE KEEP EM COMING!!!!!

"we're not glam, we're HID' "

NecroFile
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:53 am 

Nitro is a cool band.

http://www.myspace.com/nitrometal

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:58 am 

Well, there's always Pantera's early days... that stuff's pretty rare, I've heard. Is it any good? Well... I like Metal Magic. But reading the reviews on here for that album, kinda makes me wonder what that says. :lol:

agentsteel666
Yet Another Village Idiot

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:01 am 

I'm not sure how rare this is, but ICON is a really kickass glam metal band.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:05 am 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
TheUglySoldier wrote:

i'll feel free to call TS glam if i want to, coz ive ben into 'em for about 8 years, and i think that some people attach a shit connotation to glam even though a good glam/Heavy Metal band rules (i.e RATT). i was reluctant, and always have been, to attach said label to WASP but seems that the consensus on genre-orientation is such.i love TS and don't see why calling them glam is derogatory, and the "UNDER THE BLADE" album is definitely 70's Glam influenced, with an early HM edge (IMHO). (and yes, I know "Love is For Suckers")

Sweet Savage is fairly good, but i've been into them for a couple years. theyre inconsistent though, but appreciate your other recomendations; Zancoma, Pretty Boy Floyd, Mercyy etc. will listen to em immediately. PLEASE KEEP EM COMING!!!!!

"we're not glam, we're HID' "

Glam isn't derogatory at all in my opinion, I love a lot of glam metal - I just don't consider Twisted Sister to be consistently-glam enough to be considered a glam metal band, I just call them a heavy metal band. Under The Blade did have some glam songs like "Bad Boys Of Rock n' Roll" but I'd say they avoided playing straight glam metal until the final album, which wasn't even supposed to be Twisted anyway.

Again, I don't think "glam" is a derogatory term.

Dolf9271986
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:30 am 

Nahsil wrote:
Dolf9271986 wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
Dolf9271986 wrote:

What does your best friend's dad do now? I assume he's not a metal drummer anymore. When I looked at Black Knight's band picture it made me curious, is he still into metal? Was it more or less a trend in his life? They seem fairly serious in the pic.

He's still into Metal. Whenever he drives me home, we always have metal pumping out the stereo. Usually older stuff like The Scorpions and UFO and whatnot. He dresses like a metal-head too, he's even got long hair and an awesome beard/mustache. I think I've seen him wear at least 7 different UFO shirts. What happened was, when Ken found out he was having a baby with my friend's mom, he had to quit music because he had to get a better job. He now manages a fish farm here in town. He still has his old drum kit from back then, same skins and everything that was used to record the EP. He plays bass too, which is awesome.

Tea_and_Crumpets wrote:
screamingstatue wrote:

deathcorpse
Super Cres at Best

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:52 am 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
yes, yes, i've searched forums and couldnt find one that i could use to find this info, (Dont seem to have much luck with the Forum Search thing) so ill just create a new thread......

Right now im kinda feeling like expanding my Glam Metal Collection. (Currently 59 Albums). i would rather be recommended the better bands of the genre, then sift through crap (e.g. Trixter). these bands are very well known, but are my two Favorites: DOKKEN, RATT. i also dig shit like CINDERELLA, LILLIAN AXE, KICK AXE, WARRANT, TANGIER, TWISTED SISTER, WASP, BRITNEY FOX, DANGER DANGER, GREAT WHITE, KEEL, HANOI ROCKS and many others.

what i would like to find now is RARER stuff, especially stuff from Europe: Poland, Scandinavia, UK, etc, or even Rarer stuff from the US/Canada

So basically you like hair metal with a twist of glam. Ok.

Check out the following (not necessarily underground but I assume we are talking about the specific time period between 83'-89' but if you want to dig further back late 70's). I find that most of these bands' first albums end up as classics and they never followed them up properly for the most part. Anyway, I might not be telling you anything new if you like this genre with this post, but anyway here's a few things...

D'Molls - D'Molls - if you like early Motley meets Hanoi on a super cheeze Sunset Strip level, check their first album, this is a bit underground.

EZO - debut album. - The album is produced by Gene Simmons of KISS, it was on Simmons Records, probably the best Simmons records act. Anyway if you don't know this, it's more a heavy joint but it has a bit of a hair metal thing happening. You might know this one as well. These guys are Japanese like Loudness and I guess they are the glam version of Loudness or something - perhaps not really. They had 2 singles from this, Flash Back Heart Attack and Kiss Of Fire.

GIRL - Sheer Greed - If you like Hanoi you'll probably like their first album. They even do a cool cover of KISS' Do You Love Me, sort of in a true oldschool glam style. Phil Lewis is the vocalist (also LA Guns) and Phil Collen (later of Def Leppard fame) was the main guitarist.

I'd mention these but you probably already know: Faster Pussycat, LA Guns' and Zodiac Mindwarp's first albums. My friend JD and Roger's band Smashed Gladys and I could mention my friend Ryan's old band Electric Angels first one as well. I'd even through Circus Of Power's first album (although straight up NYC Lismar Lounge stuff) on that list and they weren't apart of the scene but they tore it up back in 87' (I think their first album rules)

I could throw out a bunch of names of bands in the Hollywood strip scene back in the late 80's that were along the lines of some of those bands you listed, but most of them were pretty horrible :lol: I already mentioned D'Molls which were perhaps the only sort of not well known band out of the Strip Scene that was actually pretty decent.

And the obvious influences like GenX, The Raspberries, Cheap Trick, New York Dolls, Johnny Thunders Heartbreakers, The Ramones, KISS, Sweet, T.Rex, David Bowie, Mott The Hoople, Slade (to a certain extent), Rocky Horror Picture Show (even old AC/DC) onward.

Charly546
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:26 am 

Maybe Krokus' "Headhunter" would do? It's pretty good hard rock-ish heavy metal (maybe some glammish moments inside it too, but I suck at detecting such things).

Edit: And a lot NWOBHM went glam/hard rock in the mid-80's. Might as well check out later albums by Heavy Pettin'; Quartz; Tobruk (they were pretty glammish at the beginning as well) and so on...

Last edited by Charly546 on Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
WereHuman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:27 am 

I laughed my ass out when I found out that Pantera was a glam band before "Cowboys from Hell", but that's another story.
Perhaps some material from them of that age...

thedemonbell
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:46 pm 

Q5-Steel The Light- The guy who developed the Floyd Rose was in this band. Pretty decent disc.......next one, not so good.

Junkyard-Junkyard-Not necesarilly glam metal, probably closer to southern glam metal? Neverless, decent rock disc.

War Babies-War Babies-Aerosmithy type of feel here, pretty decent effort.

Primemattimus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:42 pm 

Pantera Projects in the Jungle and I Am The Night. Underrated, seriously.

Metal Magic on the other hand...

Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:52 pm 

Burning Rain - Get both of their albums. They came out 8-10 years ago. It's a band of Doug Aldrich (Dio, Whitesnake). He's a hard rock guitar god. Amazing musician. Also check out his '80s band L.A. -style band Lion (yes, they did the Transformers Theme song), and his '90s hard rock band Bad Moon Rising.

Per_Ignem_Ad_Lucem
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:07 pm 

Check out Vain, start with their debut - No Respect. Quite moody glam with a bit of substance. Pretty solid songwriting, decent melodies, good musicianship.
Metal will rule in my masterscheme."

Rottenrectum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:52 pm 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
Rottenrectum wrote:

newer stuff?

havent listened to anything beyond 1992 from the genre so wouldnt know what to expect. whats the bands style like? is it a decent homage to the older (80's) stuff?

(sorry for a late response) My knowledge in glam rock/metal doesn't stretch much further than Mötley Crüe but yeah I think it's pretty close to the old stuff. It's like 80's glam/sleaze with a more polished production I guess.

KingVold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:52 pm 

Check out Lordi. Kind of an extreme glam metal sort of act, like Alice Cooper, Accept, Kiss, and Poisen all merged together and purged of pop influences. They one eurovision a few years ago.

AppleQueso wrote:
Acidgobblin wrote:
I refuse to listen to a genre using an onamatapoeiac descriptor.

Motion to change "Death Metal" to "EEURRRGHHH"

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:42 am 

Charly546 wrote:
Maybe Krokus' "Headhunter" would do? It's pretty good hard rock-ish heavy metal (maybe some glammish moments inside it too, but I suck at detecting such things).

Edit: And a lot NWOBHM went glam/hard rock in the mid-80's. Might as well check out later albums by Heavy Pettin'; Quartz; Tobruk (they were pretty glammish at the beginning as well) and so on...

Yeah KROKUS is great, ive been into em for a good many years though. their videos are also worth checking out. lol. also, yeah i have all those glam bands. QUARTZ is definitely firm in the Hard Rock camp for me (Check my Reviews). yeah, i find the NWOBHM that gets a bit glammy (especially) in the later period (85-86) an interesting sound. WITCHFYNDE is an example, yet later material isn't too good. (again, refer to reviews).

Rottenrectum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:05 pm 

KingVold wrote:
Check out Lordi. Kind of an extreme glam metal sort of act, like Alice Cooper, Accept, Kiss, and Poisen all merged together and purged of pop influences. They one eurovision a few years ago.

It's a shame they entered Eurovision because they lost all their dignity as a respectable shock-ish rock band.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:36 pm 

NecroFile wrote:

Didn't their singer have a guest spot on Mythbusters once?

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:16 pm 

deathcorpse wrote:
DeathRiderDoom wrote:

So basically you like hair metal with a twist of glam. Ok.

Check out the following (not necessarily underground but I assume we are talking about the specific time period between 83'-89' but if you want to dig further back late 70's). I find that most of these bands' first albums end up as classics and they never followed them up properly for the most part. Anyway, I might not be telling you anything new if you like this genre with this post, but anyway here's a few things...

D'Molls - D'Molls - if you like early Motley meets Hanoi on a super cheeze Sunset Strip level, check their first album, this is a bit underground.

EZO - debut album. - The album is produced by Gene Simmons of KISS, it was on Simmons Records, probably the best Simmons records act. Anyway if you don't know this, it's more a heavy joint but it has a bit of a hair metal thing happening. You might know this one as well. These guys are Japanese like Loudness and I guess they are the glam version of Loudness or something - perhaps not really. They had 2 singles from this, Flash Back Heart Attack and Kiss Of Fire.

GIRL - Sheer Greed - If you like Hanoi you'll probably like their first album. They even do a cool cover of KISS' Do You Love Me, sort of in a true oldschool glam style. Phil Lewis is the vocalist (also LA Guns) and Phil Collen (later of Def Leppard fame) was the main guitarist.

I'd mention these but you probably already know: Faster Pussycat, LA Guns' and Zodiac Mindwarp's first albums. My friend JD and Roger's band Smashed Gladys and I could mention my friend Ryan's old band Electric Angels first one as well. I'd even through Circus Of Power's first album (although straight up NYC Lismar Lounge stuff) on that list and they weren't apart of the scene but they tore it up back in 87' (I think their first album rules)

I could throw out a bunch of names of bands in the Hollywood strip scene back in the late 80's that were along the lines of some of those bands you listed, but most of them were pretty horrible :lol: I already mentioned D'Molls which were perhaps the only sort of not well known band out of the Strip Scene that was actually pretty decent.

And the obvious influences like GenX, The Raspberries, Cheap Trick, New York Dolls, Johnny Thunders Heartbreakers, The Ramones, KISS, Sweet, T.Rex, David Bowie, Mott The Hoople, Slade (to a certain extent), Rocky Horror Picture Show (even old AC/DC) onward.

cheers for those main recs. i have had the EZO one for quite some time, great stuff. the japanese glam bands are very well dressed. yeah, thees a few good bands produced by Simmons, even if he is a bit of a dick. i'm a Paul stanley fan, myself. all the older influences i have. i recently got T-Rex, and believe it or not, Aerosmith (having never got into them before now) and was impressed.Slad is definitely a major influence on many Glam acts; Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot etc etc.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:07 pm 

Listen to Brother Firetribe - Heart Full of Fire. Excellent album full of sugary sweet melodies, huge choruses and rocking riffs.

KingVold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:05 pm 

Rottenrectum wrote:
KingVold wrote:

It's a shame they entered Eurovision because they lost all their dignity as a respectable shock-ish rock band.

Yeah pretty much.
Sorry, meant to say Won eurovisoin, not one.

AppleQueso wrote:
Acidgobblin wrote:
I refuse to listen to a genre using an onamatapoeiac descriptor.

Motion to change "Death Metal" to "EEURRRGHHH"

Bobby_Typhoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:11 pm 

Hardcore Superstar is a pretty good Glam/Sleaze Rock/Metal band. Check out "Dreamin' In A Casket" I really enjoy that one.

traveler_in_stygian
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:58 pm 

TNT, Killer Dwarfs, Kix, Dangerous Toys, Bang Tango
all very good hair bands
check out Dangerous Toys- Scared on You Tube
makes me jump around like an asshole :)

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next