Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
thrashfan07
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:50 am 

So, the one deathcore band I enjoy is soon releasing their new album, and I've heard literally no mention on the boards. Anyone else looking forward to it? They dropped almost all of the -core sound, and go for more of a progressive/technical death metal sound. For anyone who hasn't heard it, give it a chance, it sounds pretty damn good, though I would personally recommend the track XenoChrist. And the album artwork is pretty sweet. Hopefully, I don't just get bombarded with negative comments.

Leechmaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:32 am 

I thoroughly enjoyed Akeldama and will be sure to pick up Planetary Duality. Its just a matter of when I will get it and how. I should probably pre-order it or maybe it is too late :scratch:

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:35 am 

I wasn't impressed by Akeldama and seeing them live didn't change my mind, but if it's true the core is falling away and they're going in a prog death direction then I'll at least give it a cursory listen.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

DrommerOmDod
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:42 am 

I'll be giving this a listen, but I didn't care for Akeldama all that much. Or at all.

LindisfarneAnno793
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:48 am 

The only song that impressed me on Akeldama was "An Autopsy", which I still do find quite enjoyable. I thought the rest of the album was kind of disposable, though. :scratch: In any case, I'll definitely check out Planetary Duality when it is released. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.
Fueled by methamphetamines and forties

Crut
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:09 am 

they play a great show, I've seen em twice now. I thought akeldama was terrific

EmperorMantus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:17 am 

thrashfan07 wrote:
So, the one deathcore band I enjoy is soon releasing their new album, and I've heard literally no mention on the boards. Anyone else looking forward to it? They dropped almost all of the -core sound, and go for more of a progressive/technical death metal sound. For anyone who hasn't heard it, give it a chance, it sounds pretty damn good, though I would personally recommend the track XenoChrist. And the album artwork is pretty sweet. Hopefully, I don't just get bombarded with negative comments.

didnt like Akeldama so much...but i've been hearing the new songs off of this album since they started posting the rough versions, it's definately something i will take a listen to, can't promise i will like it, seeing as how bands like Abigial Williams, posted a more "Black Metal" song on their myspace, but still didn't take away the cheesy -core aspects...
(http://www.myspace.com/vetisofficial)
Atrum Ventus (http://www.myspace.com/atrumventus)
Ex-Bands:
Emortus
(http://www.myspace.com/emortus) [My picture is taken down, but the tracks I did vocals on are still posted; the band is broken up]

grindon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:21 am 

I have to admit, live they were pretty decent, they didn't sound like a shitty generic deathcore band.But when I listened to their cd.. Christ, what a heap of mediocre cat shit

Leechmaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:24 am 

I decided to do what I said earlier and pre-order it. I ordered both Planetary Duality and Akeldama from the Sumerian Records website and now I am happy :)

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:46 am 

I had a listen to one or two songs, thanks to Leechmaster, but they were not that impressive. Maybe I need to download the whole album to give them a go.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Melmoth_the_Wanderer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:45 am 

Its leaked by the way...

~Guest 130416
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:15 pm 

I liked 'Akeldama a bit, I'll probably check this out, especially if they have steered from the more -core aspects of their music. It really didn't fit in well and I could imagine them becoming a very good prog death band.

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:09 pm 

They're very talented, I just wish the vocalist would change pitch more often :grumble:.

LindisfarneAnno793
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:18 am 

Listening to the album at present. I find it somewhat more enjoyable than Akeldama. There are no prolonged breakdowns or gang shouts, and so far (5/9 through the album), I have heard clean vocals only once (on the song Coldly Calculated Design), and these were brief. The production is more than satisfactory to me - great guitar tone, and the bass notes are happily discernible in the mix. However, I will say that in nearly every song, there is at least one moment where this stupid computerised, "robot" effect is used on the vocals, so it's like a droid singing. Irritating. :nono: Aside from this complaint, the vocals are chiefly standard death metal fare - they neither detract from nor greatly enhance the quality of the music. In any case, I'll reserve further judgement until I have listened to it in entirety, and a few more times. I advise you all to check it out, though.
Fueled by methamphetamines and forties

MaliciousAwesome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:30 am 

I thought it was good. But they went a little too overboard trying to be proggy.

EmperorMantus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:15 pm 

how the hell are u guys getting this album!? I CANT FIND IT ANYWHERE!
Ex-Bands:
Emortus
(http://www.myspace.com/emortus) [My picture is taken down, but the tracks I did vocals on are still posted; the band is broken up]

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:18 pm 

More boring triggered Beneath the Massacre tech death. They threw some proggy BtBaM type stuff in, which was alright, but they're still nothing extraordinary.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Leechmaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:09 pm 

EmperorMantus wrote:
how the hell are u guys getting this album!? I CANT FIND IT ANYWHERE!

Are you trying to download it or buy it???

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:09 am 

I was only able to get halfway through this album before fearing a terminal case of boredom and cranked Mercyful Fate as an antidote. They have a really sickening overabundance of that fucking Tron voice that never went the hell away on Cynic's Focus. I hated it then and time has not sweetened it. I don't know, the instrumentals just didn't tickle my fancy. It's fast, dissonant, chaotic, and this unpredictable element of technical death whatever has actually become so overused and abused that it's actually predictable.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

NonEsDignus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:35 am 

I preordered the new one. I'm really excited for it. I loved Akeldama, and saw them live on Summer Slaughter Tour 2007. I'm seeing them again on November 20th, which will be awesome.

I'm not listening to any leaked or otherwise previewed tracks - I want to listen to the physical CD completely fresh, something I haven't experienced in a long time.

DrommerOmDod
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:53 am 

I just gave it a listen, and as I expected, it was all but worthless. The robot voice is, as just about everyone has said, stupid, and the music is boring. Interestingly the 2nd half is more interesting (starting with "Sons of Belial") but even those songs are boring with a good riff or two sprinkled throughout. It's interesting that the songs are an average of 4 minutes, but they're so mind-numbingly boring that they feel 16.

EmperorMantus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:53 pm 

alright so yeah, ive listened to it, its OKAY...im glad I didn't buy it to be honest, some songs are better than others but its definately only for if you're a fan of tech death.
Ex-Bands:
Emortus

luxul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:29 pm 

I actually saw these guys on the Planetary Duality Tour (San Antonio, TX) this past Saturday... they were great.

This new album is waaaay better than its predecessor (IMO), it took a couple of listens to get into it, but I like the progressive parts from tracks 4 and onward. And the clean vocals are strangely catchy and extremely brief. I also dig most of the guitar solos, if not all of them. The robotic vocals are tolerable, but I don't think they're really necessary (when they play this live it is used on a sampler, not actually sung with a mic effect, which was weird). And some parts remind me of a lot of other bands (Decapitated, Meshuggah, Opeth, Beneath The Massacre, Cynic, SYL), which is a common observance, but I think they portray it well as a hybrid of influence.

This is a good follow-up.

latinfiestacarnage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:57 pm 

I'm pretty psyched for this cd! I really enjoyed Akeldema and after hearing some songs off of their myspace Planetary may just be better than Akeldema.

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:11 pm 

Since the release of this bands first album I always saw them as a band that has alot of potential and could either develop for better or for worse. Their previous material has some impressive moments but the overall product is inconsistent and amateur in song structure/direction.

.I listened to the new album once last night and was reasonably impressed in some aspects. The core element is still there but not as much as before and the song writing is better and more technical than before as well. That being said, it still probably wasnt anything too mind blowing or original for tech death but they did try some things and I think overall they've taken a step in the right direction. Not a bad album by any means, imo.

Leechmaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:29 am 

Has anyone who lives in Australia received their pre-order of Planetary Duality yet???

ScratchMyBack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:16 am 

thrashfan07 wrote:

I have a feeling that they got the idea of for the album cover from the Scrin's Warp Portal in Command and Conquer 3. :lol:

I enjoyed Alkedama, especially An Autopsy. So is the album good?

WindsOvCreation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:41 am 

The same thing happened with the new album that happened with Akeldama. When I first listened to Akeldama I thought it was trash, but my bandmates were so giddy about it, I had to give it another listen. After a few more times, I fell in love with it. Planetary Duality is the same deal. I knew this time around I'd have to give it a few tries before I really got into it, but now I realize how awesome of a record it is. All of the songs are really well thought-out and put together (whether you like the style is subjective), and once again, their breakdowns aren't your standard deathcore "I'm going to jack off on a downtuned powerchord" bullshit. The only true qualm I have with the album is the stupid voice clip they have at the beginning of "Planetary Duality I"...after 7 straight listens of the album, it gets a tad annoying.
I still need to pick up this album, and plan on doing it soon. I really wish I could have gotten out to the Planetary Duality tour, because The Faceless + Abigail Williams + Decrepit Birth = me creaming myself.

EDIT: Oh yeah, another downside of PD: There's no absolute stand-out track like "An Autopsy". I kill people when that song comes on.

MorbidEarth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:09 am 

Just thought you might like to know that this album debuted on the Billboard 200 this week at No.119, selling 5,600 copies. I had never even heard of these guys until I saw this news. This is a very impressive result for a band that sounds like this and I bet their label is stoked by this too.

ScratchMyBack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:50 pm 

ScratchMyBack wrote:
thrashfan07 wrote:

I have a feeling that they got the idea of for the album cover from the Scrin's Warp Portal in Command and Conquer 3. :lol:

I enjoyed Alkedama, especially An Autopsy. So is the album good?

If no one got any idea what I was talking about, I was talking about this

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:12 pm 

MorbidEarth wrote:
Just thought you might like to know that this album debuted on the Billboard 200 this week at No.119, selling 5,600 copies. I had never even heard of these guys until I saw this news. This is a very impressive result for a band that sounds like this and I bet their label is stoked by this too.

If a band like Beneath The Massacre can debut at 22 on the Billboard... anything is possible..

MorbidEarth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:55 pm 

MegaHassan wrote:
MorbidEarth wrote:

If a band like Beneath The Massacre can debut at 22 on the Billboard... anything is possible..

Except it didn't. They debuted at No.22 on Billboard's Top New Artist Albums chart, not the Billboard 200 like The Faceless managed. They also sold 4,000 less copies than The Faceless did.

DrSeuss
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:14 pm 

This turned me off from it.

I was minding my own business at school listening to Spawn of Possession, when some deathcore advocate talks to me and asks me what I'm listening to, I reply with the band name and he then asks what genre they are. I say "Technical death metal I suppose" and he then retorts with an almost school girl-like fanaticism, "DUDE DO YOU LISTEN TO THE FACELESS? THEY'RE SO TECHNICAL! OH MAN THEIR NEW STUFF IS SO WEIRD AND CUTTING EDGE, IT HAS LIKE ROBOT VOCALS AND SHIT!"

I doubt he had heard of Cynic before.

Other than that bias I will have when listening to the album, I'll most likely give it a try. I've been known to enjoy some deathcore, mainly Animosity.

w0Lf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:58 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
More boring triggered Beneath the Massacre tech death. They threw some proggy BtBaM type stuff in, which was alright, but they're still nothing extraordinary.
Yup. An improvement over the first album, definitely, but still not worth my time. Check out the new Deeds of Flesh instead, people!

Ritual_Suicide
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:46 pm 

Im not a big fan of tech. death, but I actually enjoyed PD. I was thrown off by the robot vocals at first and the core elements dont bother me that much. Ill leave the final opinion to the tech. death fans.

NonEsDignus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:04 am 

DrSeuss wrote:
...listening to Spawn of Possession, when some ...

I imagine you would enjoy this album. In many parts it is reminiscent of Spawn of Possession's Noctambulant. There is clear influence there.

WindsOvCreation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:14 am 

As technical as this album is, it will never be seen as "Technical Death Metal" by some. It's hard to get over that "core" bias, but I think these guys are the closest to achieving it.

Leechmaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:51 am 

Planetary Duality finally arrived yesterday and it is insane! :headbang:

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.