Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Spine_Ripper
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:38 pm 

Im just wondering what everyones opinion of avenged sevenfold playin at Wacken Open Air this past year was, cause im quite frankly dipleased that they would let a poser band such as them play at basicallt the mecca of heavy metal, whats your opinions?

Lyrici17
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:50 pm 

I am by no means a big Avenged Sevenfold fan, especially any of their material after their first two albums (though I will admit to owning their first three), but there could definately be worse bands to play there. Just because you and me wouldn't want them to play there, doesn't mean that every metal fan would have that same opinion. There was plenty of other acts to keep even the most die-hard of metalheads occupied...

RidiculeSwarm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:54 pm 

Lyrici17 wrote:
I am by no means a big Avenged Sevenfold fan, especially any of their material after their first two albums (though I will admit to owning their first three), but there could definitely be worse bands to play there. Just because you and me wouldn't want them to play there, doesn't mean that every metal fan would have that same opinion. There was plenty of other acts to keep even the most die-hard of metalheads occupied...

Yeah, but you have to admit it is kinda bullshit.

Lyrici17
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:57 pm 

RidiculeSwarm wrote:
Lyrici17 wrote:
I am by no means a big Avenged Sevenfold fan, especially any of their material after their first two albums (though I will admit to owning their first three), but there could definitely be worse bands to play there. Just because you and me wouldn't want them to play there, doesn't mean that every metal fan would have that same opinion. There was plenty of other acts to keep even the most die-hard of metalheads occupied...

Yeah, but you have to admit it is kinda bullshit.

Well, I don't know if I'd go as far as to say it's bullshit, but they certainly wouldn't have ever made my invite list.

RidiculeSwarm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:58 pm 

Okay, I've just checked the Wacken website. They're not even confirmed, so I don't know where you heard this rumor.

Lyrici17
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:01 am 

RidiculeSwarm wrote:
Okay, I've just checked the Wacken website. They're not even confirmed, so I don't know where you heard this rumor.

I think he means for 2008.

RidiculeSwarm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:53 am 

Lyrici17 wrote:
RidiculeSwarm wrote:

I think he means for 2008.

Yeah... my mistake.

RevBau
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:58 am 

Well Avenged Sevenfold started out as an OK band and turned into one of the shittiest bands on the face of the planet. Id say this is bull shit.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:20 am 

Yeah, sounds shitty to me.

Wacken is a metal event, for metal people! We'll have no trouble here!

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:22 am 

Spine_Ripper wrote:
Im just wondering what everyones opinion of avenged sevenfold playin at Wacken Open Air this past year was, cause im quite frankly dipleased that they would let a poser band such as them play at basicallt the mecca of heavy metal, whats your opinions?

Oh the humanity! A sucky band at Wacken! That has NEVER happened before!

Melmoth_the_Wanderer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:55 am 

EntilZha wrote:
Spine_Ripper wrote:

Oh the humanity! A sucky band at Wacken! That has NEVER happened before!

Yeah I think what people are forgetting is that Wacken used to be this underground, extreme fest. But its growing steadily more like Ozzfest through the years.

I'd still love to fucking go, Sevenfold or none.

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:05 am 

I hope Sevenfold get bottled, tomato'd etc. It'd be fucking sweet if someone threw a bag of horse manure straight at M.Shadow's face... the manure would definitely make his face look better though.

incarcerated_demon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:11 am 

I'm glad for some shit bands. There's nothing worse than having two awesome bands play side by side, as Grave and Primordial did this year. Also, a beer break is always always welcome.

LindisfarneAnno793
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:17 am 

MegaHassan wrote:
I hope Sevenfold get bottled, tomato'd etc. It'd be fucking sweet if someone threw a bag of horse manure straight at M.Shadow's face... the manure would definitely make his face look better though.

Why stop at bottles, tomatoes and horse manure? Someone should set him on fire! Or run him over! LOL @ ATTACKING BAND MEMBERS BECAUSE WE DISLIKE THEM OR THEIR MUSIC

:roll:

I take it you're not a fan (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). I'm not one either, but is that kind of bullshit really justified?
Fueled by methamphetamines and forties

Axel_Sikth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:51 am 

I'm not a big fan of them, but it's ridiculous how juvenile some of the above posters are acting in response to this. Yeah, a band you guys dislike is playing at an event you like. Big fucking deal. Get over it. Anyways, my post ends there. Time to make like a tree before this thread gets locked.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:54 am 

Axel_Sikth wrote:
I'm not a big fan of them, but it's ridiculous how juvenile some of the above posters are acting in response to this. Yeah, a band you guys dislike is playing at an event you like. Big fucking deal. Get over it. Anyways, my post ends there. Time to make like a tree before this thread gets locked.

It's less that they suck and more that they aren't metal. It's even worse considering they are "false metal". A lot of metalheads look at Wacken as a sort of Mecca, and would find the idea of "false metal" infiltrating it quite saddening.

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:24 am 

LindisfarneAnno793 wrote:
MegaHassan wrote:

Why stop at bottles, tomatoes and horse manure? Someone should set him on fire! Or run him over! LOL @ ATTACKING BAND MEMBERS BECAUSE WE DISLIKE THEM OR THEIR MUSIC

:roll:

I take it you're not a fan (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). I'm not one either, but is that kind of bullshit really justified?

I don't really hate them. But it is kind of fun to attack bands like Avenged Sevenfold, I admit. And no, I won't set him on fire or run him over, that's a bit too extreme :P

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
Axel_Sikth wrote:

It's less that they suck and more that they aren't metal. It's even worse considering they are "false metal". A lot of metalheads look at Wacken as a sort of Mecca, and would find the idea of "false metal" infiltrating it quite saddening.

This

Last edited by Wet Pussy on Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
the_empyreal_lexicon
Captured in Eternity's Eye

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:24 am 

Axel_Sikth wrote:

It would have been far more awesome if no one turned up to watch them at all. Sounded like a good opportunity to visit the excellent beer tent.

Axel_Sikth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:44 am 

And that's why I do my worshiping alone.

wasteful
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:30 am 

the_empyreal_lexicon wrote:
It would have been far more awesome if no one turned up to watch them at all. Sounded like a good opportunity to visit the excellent beer tent.

yes, that would be the way to react, i think.

physically attacking/provoking a band during their performance is something i'd expect from a juvenile "false metal" fanbase.

Mungo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:41 am 

I honestly don't see why this is even an issue. What, you expected an underground black metal fest after bfmv's initial involvement last year? Just spend the time A7X are playing drinking at the beer tents if you don't like them.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:48 am 

I actually liked their first two releases in my immature, confused early metal days. Now its just a waste.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:45 am 

All they'll do is make the good bands sound better. It's like eating nasty doritos, then biting into a delicious juicy burger.

Edit
Actually, 2008 looks like a mess. Hatebreed is showing up. :ugh:

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:19 pm 

I'm just pleased that AC/DC played Wacken. Wait, did I say AC/DC? I meant Airbourne.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Negru_Voda
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:27 pm 

What were the reactions at their 2008 Wacken show and what sort of crowd did they attract?

Also, Hatebreed puts on a good show. I saw them at a Canadian metalfest and was suspicious of their inclusion at first but ultimately I'm glad they were on the bill.

Lyrici17 wrote:
I am by no means a big Avenged Sevenfold fan, especially any of their material after their first two albums (though I will admit to owning their first three)

Jesus, and I can barely afford to get CDs by bands I actually like.

foz45139
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:44 pm 

It's not too big a deal. Avenged Sevenfold tried to ruin my night when I saw Iron Maiden this year, but I just went and got some fuckin chips while their set was on. :lol:
Once I was done throwing up I had to take another shit. Again it was diarrhea! While diarrhea was coming out of my ass I began to throw up. This fucking sucked! If only I had some Disgorge playing it might not have sucked ass much.

truvelocity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:13 pm 

My friends and I have a common expression; "I think I just died and went to Wacken!" because for us it's that unreachable.
We don't picture a band like Avenged Sevenfold when thinking of Wacken.
:nono:

BardInTheForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:49 pm 

truvelocity wrote:
My friends and I have a common expression; "I think I just died and went to Wacken!" because for us it's that unreachable.
We don't picture a band like Avenged Sevenfold when thinking of Wacken.
:nono:

Looks like this year you should be changing it to "I think I just died and went to Maryland!"

foz45139
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:57 pm 

truvelocity wrote:
My friends and I have a common expression; "I think I just died and went to Wacken!"

If you want to insult someone, do you say 'YOU'RE GOING TO DOWNLOAD!'?
Once I was done throwing up I had to take another shit. Again it was diarrhea! While diarrhea was coming out of my ass I began to throw up. This fucking sucked! If only I had some Disgorge playing it might not have sucked ass much.

zervyx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:12 pm 

Negru_Voda wrote:
What were the reactions at their 2008 Wacken show and what sort of crowd did they attract?

Even though there was a lot of people supporting Avenged Sevenfold they did get plenty of yelling: "Maiden! Maiden!" And actually, the vocalist had to mention Iron Maiden at least 3 times between song and song, stuff like: "Iron Madien are such cool people, we are happy to be touring with them", "yeah, we will let you with fuckin Iron allmighty Maiden", and even "Dont worry guys, we will be back soon in our own tour for you". stuff like that

CorporalCarnage
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:01 pm 

You think Wacken has it bad?
Try Download !! What the hell has happened there?

Thats why this Saturday is all about Damnation Festival!! The Berzerker, Cathedral, My Dying Bride & Onslaught....Oooooh Yeeeeeah!!

Ozenrol
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:07 pm 

great, now they emo/ironic/scene kid infestation is going to hit Wacken.
What's next, Bring Me The Horizon?
Avenged has a good guitarist. That is all.

steady666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:21 pm 

Instead of complaining about shitty bands, think of it this way; The more that these shitty, watered-down bands gain popularity with the kiddies, the more TRUE metal fans appreciate the good bands and don't waste their time complaining about the shit bands.

If you don't like a band at a festival no one is making you watch them.

Waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka

MuffinMan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:51 pm 

They are going to open to Maiden in February here.
I really don't mind them, although most of their work is not so good. However, I enjoyed City Of Evil a lot, which I think it is a good album.

There is a ton of bands playing at Wacken, why bother complaining about Avenged Sevenfold?

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:56 pm 

Personally, I think they don't belong there. I mean come on. It's a metal festival. For METAL bands.

~Guest 3496
Exterminator 666 Does Not Answer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:08 pm 

Wacken is becoming increasingly commercial. Go to Headbangers Open Air or Keep It True if you like metal.

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:54 pm 

I'd rather watch Avenged Sevenfold than Hatebreed, At least they can be catchy and have solo's.

Last.fm

MortalScum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:54 pm 

Well, I guess Wacken won't be worth going to anymore.

CorporalCarnage
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:19 am 

DeadXManiac wrote:
I'd rather watch Avenged Sevenfold than Hatebreed, At least they can be catchy and have solo's.

I'd choose Hatebreed over Avenged Sevenfold anyday. At least with Hatebreed you get some heartfelt brutality and violence. Avenged Sevenfold don't even stir an emotion if i'm honest! Well maybe contempt.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:27 am 

Hatebreed is preferable to A7X, but only in the same way that dogshit is preferable to cyanide pills.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next