Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Wrath_Of_War
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:48 pm 

MaDTransilvanian wrote:
I love Dimmu Borgir but Mustis' keyboards aren't awesome...Spiritual Black Dimensions wasn't the best and the two follow-up albums were recorded with an orchestra, while In Sorte Diaboli's keyboard work isn't anything special for the most part (although there are some great portions). Their three first albums had excellent keys.
I said he's extremely talented, not that his keyboard work with Dimmu Borgir was excellent.

RedMisanthrope wrote:
Stian Aarstad > Muutis

Despite the plagiarisms...

I actually broke out For All Tid this morning, for the first time in ages. I don't think Stian Aarstad was as talented as Mustis, but he definitely has Mustis beat in songwriting and...his work is more enjoyable to listen to. He doesn't use that stupid carnival sounding style.

So I think Mustis is a better player than Stian, but I don't think his creativity goes as far. Stian plagerized, yes, but I still find him to be more creative and enjoyable. I forgot how much I liked For All Tid until I broke the album out this morning :)

RedMisanthrope
Poet Laureate of the Old Ones

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:53 pm 

Wrath_Of_War wrote:

RedMisanthrope wrote:
Stian Aarstad > Muutis

Despite the plagiarisms...

I actually broke out For All Tid this morning, for the first time in ages. I don't think Stian Aarstad was as talented as Mustis, but he definitely has Mustis beat in songwriting and...his work is more enjoyable to listen to. He doesn't use that stupid carnival sounding style.

So I think Mustis is a better player than Stian, but I don't think his creativity goes as far. Stian plagerized, yes, but I still find him to be more creative and enjoyable. I forgot how much I liked For All Tid until I broke the album out this morning :)

I understand where you're coming from. To me though, Muutis's work is just that cliched', pseudo bombastic BUM BUM BUM BUUUUUUM type stuff. Stian's keys at least had rhythm to it, which I like (In Death's Embrace anyone?). Though Muutis does belt out some enjoyable enough stuff once in a while, I have to give the edge to Stian.
Death metal is eternal.

SladeCraven
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:57 pm 

I like Dimmu, but live Shagrath's vocals are a bit week. He just sounds like he is making hissing sounds straight from his throat.

Other than that they are entertaining enough.

LotF
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:05 pm 

One time they kicked ASS! The solos that they [rarely] have were done at the prime.

Next time, I cried a river. Really huge switch...

_Empress_
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:10 pm 

I actually understand where you are coming from. I use to be alot more into them when I was 13-14 and when I finally saw them live like 2 years ago, I was sort of unimpressed. Like the show could of had more too it, I expected this awesome mind blowing show but it really wasn't. Part of it might of been the crowd full of mall goths shouting "play puritania" or the really crappy lineup of bands. But I really was let down.

myspace.com/dichoticrecords

incarcerated_demon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:21 pm 

My experience of them has been mixed. Saw them at Wacken 07, boring and weak, lost interest after three songs. Saw them at the Forum in London a couple of months later, pretty good although Amon Amarth kicked their arse as openers. Saw them in Bloodstock 08, and they were very good - tight, entertaining and Shagrath actually looked like he gave a shit. And Vortex has a great voice live, besides being the most aggressive member onstage.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:45 am 

I've only seen them once, when they toured with Behemoth and Keep of Kalessin. Now, I have to say that it was one of the best concerts I've been to so far (and I dont go to many..), because not one band failed. That being said, it was probably a bit harder for dimmu borgir to stick out. I liked their show, and everything about them was very tight. But they were right after Behemoth... and Behemoth does so much better live.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2