Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Count_Grazadh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:42 am 

Yes is came out awhile ago, but i got money to purchase it, and it has to be one of my all time favorite Leviathan albums yet.

To me it really picked up where Tentacle Of Whorror left off, and it adds one more collection to my Leviathan collection.

what did you guys think of it.
that is if we have leviathan fans out there.. =D

Hail Wrest!!!!!:bow:

Lepernicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:53 am 

It seemed like a half-assed album to me. He should have stopped with the brilliant Tentacles of Whorror.

Count_Grazadh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:55 am 

really? what songs did you not like off the album though?? i personally didnt think it was that half assed

RedMisanthrope
Poet Laureate of the Old Ones

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:01 am 

I really liked it, though I still think Wrest is one of the most pretentious artists in the scene. That could be the reason the music is so good, however. Something to dwell on...
Death metal is eternal.

thomash
Metal Philosopher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:07 am 

Lepernicus wrote:
It seemed like a half-assed album to me. He should have stopped with the brilliant Tentacles of Whorror.

I think that's probably a bit harsh, but it's true that it's not as good as his early work. However, on the other hand, it felt to me that he was trying to do something different on this album; I don't think Wrest is much of one to release the same album twice. Also, he definitely had some excellent ideas on the album, but his previous albums were so good that they overshadowed Massive Conspiracy by comparison.

Nonetheless, as a Leviathan fanboy, I proudly own a copy of the CD and I certainly enjoy it.

Count_Grazadh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:10 am 

thomash wrote:
Lepernicus wrote:

I think that's probably a bit harsh, but it's true that it's not as good as his early work. However, on the other hand, it felt to me that he was trying to do something different on this album; I don't think Wrest is much of one to release the same album twice. Also, he definitely had some excellent ideas on the album, but his previous albums were so good that they overshadowed Massive Conspiracy by comparison.

Nonetheless, as a Leviathan fanboy, I proudly own a copy of the CD and I certainly enjoy it.

yeah definately, it wasnt his BEST cd, but i think it was absolutely brilliant, most people that have said it was "Half Assed" really havent given much time to really listen to the album and appreciate it.

Just put it in, and listen to it all the way through.

FOAD

Lyrici17
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:21 am 

I have enjoyed every Leviathan record I have purchased, and this one is on my list for a near future buy....

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:16 am 

A decent album in itself, but as a farewell album it's only disappointing.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:51 am 

Honestly haven't heard any Leviathan apart from this album, I really like it, and the band is on my list of bands to get more of, it just takes time to get through so many bands.

Norrmania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:35 am 

For some reason I could never get into Tentacles of Whorror, and never really understood why others thought it was so great. That said, I really like The Tenth Sub Level of Suicide and Massive Conspiracy Against All Life. I preferred The Tenth Sub Level, but I honestly think that the two are at times a bit difficult to compare. Massive Conspiracy just has a more occult, ritualistic feel to it. The beginning of Merging with the Sword, Unto Them is mesmerizing as fuck, and I get that throughout the album. The Tenth Sub Level just doesn't have that element to it, though I still really like that album for different reasons.

DaBuddha
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:17 pm 

I think it's his best album. I bought the LP version which comes with the bonus track Perverse Calculus and the song is definitely one of his best ever. I really hope this is not the last Leviathan album, as I prefer Leviathan to Lurker of Chalice.
We spread our wings and fly away

Just tell Nocturno Culto you were too busy getting stoned to burn down churches, he'll understand.
Darkthrone - My Anti-Drug

CircleovZaphyan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:44 pm 

Norrmania wrote:
For some reason I could never get into Tentacles of Whorror, and never really understood why others thought it was so great. That said, I really like The Tenth Sub Level of Suicide and Massive Conspiracy Against All Life. I preferred The Tenth Sub Level, but I honestly think that the two are at times a bit difficult to compare. Massive Conspiracy just has a more occult, ritualistic feel to it. The beginning of Merging with the Sword, Unto Them is mesmerizing as fuck, and I get that throughout the album. The Tenth Sub Level just doesn't have that element to it, though I still really like that album for different reasons.

I agree.

The best parts of Tentacles were the ambient parts. The metal was really lacking on that album. Even his splits are better.

The_Evil_Hat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:51 pm 

Massive Conspiracy is a good album, the only problem is that Leviathan's other albums were even better. If it was the only thing i'd heard by them, i'd love it. as it is, it's just good. Beating something like Tenth Sublevel is a pretty fucking tough thing to do...

As a side note, i was ridiculously disappointed to learn that Leviathan was done. i preferred them to LoC, although i love both. is there any word on Lurker's next release?

Cruciphage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:26 pm 

Three-quarter-assed.

Wrest was going through some issues (legal issues with Moribund, overdosing on heroin, etc.) so it's doubtful he put everything he's got into the album. Overall, Massive Conspiracy... used a more stream-lined and ordinary black metal approach than Tentacles of Whorror and probably would have been praised highly if it had come out earlier in Leviathan's discography.

CircleovZaphyan wrote:
The best parts of Tentacles were the ambient parts. The metal was really lacking on that album.
Opinions are opinions and all, but WHAT?

vashts80
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:03 pm 

Cruciphage wrote:
Three-quarter-assed.

Wrest was going through some issues (legal issues with Moribund, overdosing on heroin, etc.) so it's doubtful he put everything he's got into the album. Overall, Massive Conspiracy... used a more stream-lined and ordinary black metal approach than Tentacles of Whorror and probably would have been praised highly if it had come out earlier in Leviathan's discography.

CircleovZaphyan wrote:
The best parts of Tentacles were the ambient parts. The metal was really lacking on that album.

I'm aware of the issues with Moribund/Southern Lord/Battle Kommand etc but the overdosing on heroin, I've only seen that as a rumour that was going around. Source of it?

hippiedrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:08 pm 

I enjoyed that album. My favroite tracks were Receive the World and Noisome Ash Crown. I thought that it was very interesting, and it held my attention throughout its entirety.

Whisper
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:09 pm 

considering it has one of the best songs he's written on it ("Merging...") & the fact that it's cohesive (unlike Tentacles) and not ridden with a shit ear-destroying trebly production (Tenth Sublevel), i think it's his best work. very emotional.

Post_Human_Shadows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:08 pm 

The only amazing tracks are 'Mering with Sword...' and 'Vulgar Asceticism'; the latter having that highly memorable creepy atmospheric guitar section in the middle.

If Wrest and a bunch of other modern black metal artists would cut down greatly on ambient/synth/electronic parts and focus more on playing black metal, that'd be good. I mean, yeah, the ambient/trip-hop/whatever intro to 'Merging with Sword...' was interesting in creating in the way it created a hypnotic, ritualistic atmosphere, but then you had the mostly ambient last track (Noisome Ash Crown), which was seriously a boring, underwhelming way to end the album.

BAN (on 'The Work Which Transforms God') and DSO (on 'Fas') had the same problem of sticking random ambient crap in between their ambitious black metal, when it was not really needed.

Whisper
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:00 pm 

Post_Human_Shadows wrote:
The only amazing tracks are 'Mering with Sword...' and 'Vulgar Asceticism'; the latter having that highly memorable creepy atmospheric guitar section in the middle.

If Wrest and a bunch of other modern black metal artists would cut down greatly on ambient/synth/electronic parts and focus more on playing black metal, that'd be good. I mean, yeah, the ambient/trip-hop/whatever intro to 'Merging with Sword...' was interesting in creating in the way it created a hypnotic, ritualistic atmosphere, but then you had the mostly ambient last track (Noisome Ash Crown), which was seriously a boring, underwhelming way to end the album.

BAN (on 'The Work Which Transforms God') and DSO (on 'Fas') had the same problem of sticking random ambient crap in between their ambitious black metal, when it was not really needed.

good point, because we need more black metal played straight -- experimentation is unsuccessful and overrated

paradigm333
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:12 pm 

Vulgar Asceticism/flagellum raised to sky is an amazing song. I think that the whole album is good. Its in a bit of a different vein from the previous two full lengths, but I believe he was going for a merger between Leviathan and Lurker of Chalice, thus the results on the album.

Lepernicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:46 pm 

vashts80 wrote:
Cruciphage wrote:
Three-quarter-assed.

CircleovZaphyan wrote:

I'm aware of the issues with Moribund/Southern Lord/Battle Kommand etc but the overdosing on heroin, I've only seen that as a rumour that was going around. Source of it?

Yeah, I had known of his issues with Moribund... but what's the deal with the heroin story?

Axel_Sikth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:29 pm 

I listened to this album sometime around midnight and though I was tired out of my mind, I managed to stay awake throughout the album. I'm pretty sure my exhaustion and darkness contributed to it, but this record had a pretty profound effect on me. Definitely not your average black metal album, or your average black metal band.

Count_Grazadh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:37 pm 

you can read alot about it on here!

hails to jeff hopefully things will look up for him.

http://www.smnnews.com/board/showthread.php?t=177528

FOAD

The_Evil_Hat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:56 pm 

Post_Human_Shadows wrote:

The atmospheric elements of the bands are the main reasons that i like them so much. It's not head banging music, but rather stuff to loose yourself in.

Thinking along those lines, who here has his A Silhouette in Splinters, his all ambient work? What do you guys think of it? I have to say that i was a bit disapointed. It's pretty good, the only problem being that it's in a pretty different style than most of the Leviathan or Lurker of Chalice ambient bits. enjoyable, but less engrossing than i was expecting.

Tystvar
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:54 pm 

From reading that explanation on the argument, I must say that Blake from Nachtmystium seems much more in the right, and the other side sounds like a bunch of cry-babys, regardless of the musical quality of either band.

I can't say that I've ever cared to check out Nachtmystium, and with the current direction the project seems to be going I probably won't... as for Leviathan, I do enjoy parts of The Tenth Sublevel... but I haven't checked out anything else. I find it's hard to draw the line between being artistic and being pretentious with this kind project and the amount of hype it receives... I guess one day I'll just let the music speak for itself if I ever end up delving further into it.

SuperVeji4
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:43 pm 

I began listening to Massive Conspiracy and I just couldn't finish listening to it. I absolutly hated the fact that it sounded nothing like his old material and it sounded too much like Deathspell Omega. I prefer his older, rawer material. Tentacles and Sub-Level were really good, but his demo material has been my favorite overall. Some of his best songs are found in those demos.

What is Wrest doing nowadays? Last I heard he was going to release more albums with the LoC name, but I haven't heard any news on a new album so far. Anyone know for sure?

Last edited by SuperVeji4 on Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lepernicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:27 pm 

Just to be on the safe side, I ordered a red vinyl copy of this album. It could grow on me, and if not... well, I can just sell it on ebay.

It doesn't even begin to compare to Tentacle of Whorrors, however.. and I really wish I had been into the band and vinyl back when that was released, because I would love a copy.

Count_Grazadh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:21 pm 

the music quality is great, coming from the point that he records with an 8 track, its all home recorded, no fuckin studio recordings at all.

second the album is underrated, too many people have been saying it was a let down, but obviously havent given the album much listening time.

it atmospheric feel and the ambiance in the album is fucking brilliant, i really suggest people listening to the album with ear phones, you get more out of it.
In my opinion that is.

FOAD

Lepernicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:57 pm 

It was a letdown when you consider the previous album, but if you can manage to let it stand on its own and give it repeated listens, it starts to shine. It definitely meshes more as an album than previous efforts, as well.

When I get the LP, I'll crank it up and really soak it in.

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:59 pm 

I do like Leviathan, but I don't like it THAT much. In terms of Wrest, I do love Lurker Of Chalice. I wish he'd have spent more time developing that band as opposed to Leviathan.

Count_Grazadh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:41 am 

Perplexed_Sjel wrote:
I do like Leviathan, but I don't like it THAT much. In terms of Wrest, I do love Lurker Of Chalice. I wish he'd have spent more time developing that band as opposed to Leviathan.

yeah understandable, alot the songs off of Massive Conspiracy had a real Loc feel to is, the atmosphere and all.

favorite Loc song has to be Piercing Where They Might.
brilliant work

FOAD

vashts80
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:57 pm 

Count_Grazadh wrote:

All that's in that thread is Blake countering the "intern at Moribund"'s comments, and a rumour about Wrest OD'ing. No actual fact or statement.

Cruciphage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:50 pm 

vashts80 wrote:
Count_Grazadh wrote:

All that's in that thread is Blake countering the "intern at Moribund"'s comments, and a rumour about Wrest OD'ing. No actual fact or statement.
Yes, my memory of that exchange was cloudy. My bad.

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:51 pm 

Count_Grazadh wrote:
Perplexed_Sjel wrote:

yeah understandable, alot the songs off of Massive Conspiracy had a real Loc feel to is, the atmosphere and all.

brilliant work

'Seamless Garment As The Morning' seems to have a distinctive Lurker Of Chalice feel to it, but still, I'm prejudice towards Leviathan because of the self-titled Lurker record, its just so god damn good. Even more so in comparison to Leviathans work. 'This Blood Falls As Mortal Part III' or 'Vortex Chalice' are particular favourites of mine, particularly the former with its glorious use of samples at the beginning ... Wish I knew where that was taken from. I once read someone say its Gwyneth Paltrow talking ... Odd.

Count_Grazadh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:52 am 

Perplexed_Sjel wrote:
Count_Grazadh wrote:
Perplexed_Sjel wrote:

brilliant work

'Seamless Garment As The Morning' seems to have a distinctive Lurker Of Chalice feel to it, but still, I'm prejudice towards Leviathan because of the self-titled Lurker record, its just so god damn good. Even more so in comparison to Leviathans work. 'This Blood Falls As Mortal Part III' or 'Vortex Chalice' are particular favourites of mine, particularly the former with its glorious use of samples at the beginning ... Wish I knew where that was taken from. I once read someone say its Gwyneth Paltrow talking ... Odd.

right i also love that song man, it just has a surreal feel to it, alot of feeling behind it.

FOAD

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.