Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
NecroFile
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:01 am 

Meh! I was expecting a fisting and all I got was lightly fingered. It just sounds like a crappier version of "Steel Lord on Wheels". I hope there are better songs than this on the new album.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:05 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Anyways, I'd heard something about how the album was supposed to have more modern melodic influences in it, which really worried me.

Like Defying the Rules wasn't; modern melodic power metal is not always a bad thing, as shown by this band right here.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:17 pm 

ThrashingMad wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
Anyways, I'd heard something about how the album was supposed to have more modern melodic influences in it, which really worried me.

Like Defying the Rules wasn't; modern melodic power metal is not always a bad thing, as shown by this band right here.

MORE was the key word there. I was worried about a much flowerier, fluffier, less ball heavy sound. It seems they've kept the punishing drums, insane bass runs, powerful shrieks, guitars and everything. It seems like they haven't changed a bit. I don't complain about Vader never changing so I won't complain about Hibria quite yet either.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:48 pm 

Yeah, it's very possible that this will be one of those Paragon/Iron Savior sort of band that sticks to one sound for every album. At least these guys have some serious chops, unlike DragonForce, and their music will remain catchy, heavy and interesting.

Dechripastocide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:58 pm 

Well, The Skull Collectors has been released in Japan and thus leaked throughout the world. All signs point to it being even better than their previous effort.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:09 pm 

Yeah, I've already listened to it. I was correct in my assumption that it would be a step down from Defying the Rules, but it is still decent.

Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:17 pm 

rexxz wrote:
Yeah, I've already listened to it. I was correct in my assumption that it would be a step down from Defying the Rules, but it is still decent.

Don't spoil it! I'm downloading right now... I already figured it would be a step down though.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:46 pm 

rexxz wrote:

In what ways is it worse?

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:50 pm 

It appears on a first listen to sound like a more contrived effort at presenting itself in an over-the-top manner. It's making me think of something that Dragonforce might sound like if they played in this style.

I don't think it's bad but I prefer the first still.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:53 pm 

My only issue with it is that upon a first listen a lot of the tracks just kind of ran together, I sometimes couldn't even tell if I was on a new track or not. That said, I still like it a lot.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:54 pm 

Listening now; it's solid, although pretty much predictable. It sounds, like rexxz said, as if the band were intentionally trying to portray their music in this extreme and "metal" way, moreso than the debut. I do like it though.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:58 pm 

It also uses the rhythm guitar too much as a harmonic instrument rather than playing riffs (another parallel to Dragonforce).

NecroFile
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:29 pm 

The vocals suffer from "Michael Kiske" syndrome, where they are so oversaturated and high-pitched that it gives me a headache if I listen to more than 2 songs in a row.

Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:08 pm 

I have listened to the album, and I find it lacking. It is a pretty good album though.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:19 pm 

It's an awesome album; just not up to the standards set by Defying the Rules. If this was their first album they'd still be getting some fucking heavy praise for it, albeit admittedly not to the level that the debut got. This is living under the shadow of Defying the Rules, but it is a high quality Power Metal album and one of the better ones from 08. At least a solid 4.25/5 so far.

The songwriting is less blistering and complex than DtR, but not the faceless blur that Bastardhead and Nahsil seemed to be insinuating. The music relies more on the vocal acrobatics than the guitars, but I guess we can't really fling too much shit at them for that, for you have to remember that they're still a new band and are trying to find a sound that works for them. It might not be as good as DtR, but it's still quality music.

Also, this doesn't sound like a copy of DtR. What were you guys talking about? :???:

Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:42 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Also, this doesn't sound like a copy of DtR. What were you guys talking about? :???:
It's just in the same styling, which is to be expected. This is only their second album, it's kind of absurd to already be upset with them not changing their sound up. Some bands keep the same sound for 6-7 albums.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:49 pm 

Is it really that much like DtR though? It sounds like the same band that made that album, but on a cursory listen I can say that the songs here are more streamlined and stomp-y, with some new, ambitious parts that the band is known for, without actually compromising the kick-ass nature of the music. It's still Hibria, but it's clearly not any "they wrote the same album over again" situation.

My opinion might change on further listens, though.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:25 pm 

I'm just going to say, I'd take this and maybe a few more Hibria albums over say, another Iron Savior, Grave Digger, Paragon, Gamma Ray, Dragonforce...etc.

NecroFile wrote:
The vocals suffer from "Michael Kiske" syndrome, where they are so oversaturated and high-pitched that it gives me a headache if I listen to more than 2 songs in a row.

This guy is way better than Kiske, but I can see this factor possibly making this a "mood album" at times. He definitely seems to constantly stick in the higher registers more compared to the debut on this.

rexxz wrote:
It also uses the rhythm guitar too much as a harmonic instrument rather than playing riffs (another parallel to Dragonforce).

Pretty true. Still sounds ballsier than a lot of other modern power metal I'd say though.

Edit: Now, we need that Ballistic follow up.
:np:

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:36 pm 

I have a habit of dwelling on the negative, but I still find the tracks to be less distinguishable between each other than they were on Defying the Rules. I will say that this album actually, in some morbid way, gave me more appreciation for DtR. Not sure how or why, but the first album sounds even better now. It's strange because it's not like I fucking hate TSC or anything, I think it's every bit as solid as DtR, just less individual.

I hope people aren't getting the wrong impression from me. I don't even remotely hate this, it's just I was hoping for Hibria to not take the AC/DC route in their career.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:40 pm 

I hate you. :annoyed:

j/k, I'll have to revisit DtR sometime soon.

Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:46 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
I have a habit of dwelling on the negative, but I still find the tracks to be less distinguishable between each other than they were on Defying the Rules. I will say that this album actually, in some morbid way, gave me more appreciation for DtR. Not sure how or why, but the first album sounds even better now. It's strange because it's not like I fucking hate TSC or anything, I think it's every bit as solid as DtR, just less individual.

I hope people aren't getting the wrong impression from me. I don't even remotely hate this, it's just I was hoping for Hibria to not take the AC/DC route in their career.

It's only their second album, cmon man... And yes, I agree with the tracks on this album being less distinguishable. I actually liked The faceless in charge and Stare at Yourself.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:48 pm 

Avaddons_blood wrote:
BastardHead wrote:

It's only their second album, cmon man... And yes, I agree with the tracks on this album being less distinguishable. I actually liked The faceless in charge and Stare at Yourself.

I have no idea why I'm so bothered by the similarity. I'm well aware that it's only their second album, but it just seems like a literal rewrite to me. Maybe I'm just bitter because Defying the Rules blew me away upon first listening, whereas I have to let this one grow.

But then again, I'm disappointed by anything I hype up to myself. I'm worried about what I'll think about the new Suffocation, Heathen, et cetera.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:50 pm 

I don't get why it sounds so similar to you. It is obviously the same band, and it isn't a total progression in sound, but this album is no re-write.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:54 pm 

I thought Defying The Rules had a good 3 tracks that were super memorable, but the rest to me were pretty forgettable. It wasn't bad, just nothing stuck out besides those three tracks.

I'll give this a listen just to hear what they sound like now, but I'm not really expecting much.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:54 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I don't get why it sounds so similar to you. It is obviously the same band, and it isn't a total progression in sound, but this album is no re-write.

I'm a Running Wild fanboy, I have no room to bitch. It just sounds like a weaker version of Defying the Rules, but it's a phase that'll probably pass soon enough. Like I said, I hyped myself up for this album, and I'm always disappointed with something after I do that. Every. Single. Fucking. Time. I never learn.

That said, I've been singing Tiger Punch all day. I want to call it this album's version of Steel Lord on Wheels, but believe me when I say that in the best possible way!

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:57 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

I'm a Running Wild fanboy, I have no room to bitch. It just sounds like a weaker version of Defying the Rules, but it's a phase that'll probably pass soon enough. Like I said, I hyped myself up for this album, and I'm always disappointed with something after I do that. Every. Single. Fucking. Time. I never learn.

That said, I've been singing Tiger Punch all day. I want to call it this album's version of Steel Lord on Wheels, but believe me when I say that in the best possible way!

Oh man, Running Wild is so good. So good. Don't get me started, haha.

Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:58 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Yes they are, sadly they got little respect on the recent survey.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:00 am 

Avaddons_blood wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Yes they are, sadly they got little respect on the recent survey.

Well, then fuck whoever participated in that survey.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:02 am 

Under Jolly Roger was on my list :)

Some of their stuff is too power metally for a heavy metal survey, i.e. Black Hand Inn/Death or Glory.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:05 am 

Nahsil wrote:
Under Jolly Roger was on my list :)

Some of their stuff is too power metally for a heavy metal survey, i.e. Black Hand Inn/Death or Glory.

Maybe Black Hand Inn, but Death or Glory is ripe for that survey in my opinion.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:06 am 

I had Gates to Purgatory as my number 2. They've always been speed metal, but GtP through Port Royal were really the only albums that were closer to heavy than power metal. Believe me when I say that I love absolutely every single album (barring Rogues en Vogue, the only great track on that one is one of the bonus tracks. LIBERTALIA WHOA OH OH OH!).

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:09 am 

The Brotherhood would fit on that list. That's way more heavy metal. I still like it though.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:17 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
The Brotherhood would fit on that list. That's way more heavy metal. I still like it though.

The Brotherhood was split down the middle to me. Half the songs (the good ones) are speed/power metal, and the other half (the bad songs) are more KISS like hard rock. On the whole, I love it, but songs like Unation, Crossfire, and Detonator just don't come close to holding a candle to Welcome to Hell, Pirate Song, and Siberian Winter.

EDIT: Wow, one passing reference immediately turned this into a Running Wild thread. Just goes to show how awesome of a band they are right?! ....r-right?!

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:19 am 

BastardHead wrote:
I had Gates to Purgatory as my number 2. They've always been speed metal, but GtP through Port Royal were really the only albums that were closer to heavy than power metal. Believe me when I say that I love absolutely every single album (barring Rogues en Vogue, the only great track on that one is one of the bonus tracks. LIBERTALIA WHOA OH OH OH!).

yeah, Port Royal was their last "heavy metal" album in my eyes. It kicks ridiculous ass, too. But that doesn't mean I don't like the later albums, Death and Glory is awesome.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:25 am 

Nahsil wrote:
BastardHead wrote:

yeah, Port Royal was their last "heavy metal" album in my eyes. It kicks ridiculous ass, too. But that doesn't mean I don't like the later albums, Death and Glory is awesome.

Port Royal is some serious ownage, I will admit. I really like that album.

Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:28 am 

Nahsil wrote:
BastardHead wrote:

I Kind of disagree. I think Death or Glory definitely has power metal elements as well as some speed, but is heavy metal at its core.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:42 am 

I never try to really classify Running Wild. It's even sometimes hard to call their debut pure speed metal compared to some of the faster German releases at the time and most of their albums always have tradtional songs here and there.

I might label them as something like Badass Fucking METAL! or whatnot.

I assume they were brought up because they did the same thing throughout the majority of their career and it pretty much took them 20 some years to run out of juice. If Hibria goes that route, so be it, this follow up is more of the same which is basically what I was hoping for.

On a side note unlike all those Euro power metal bands I mentioned above (plus others not brought up), Running Wild is one of the bands that never ages for me. It's so easy to go back and listen to any of their first ~10 releases.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:49 am 

The thing that fascinates me about Running Wild is that albums don't sound too different from one to the next, but they underwent a huge change in the grand scheme of things. Gates to Purgatory doesn't sound too different from Branded and Exiled, which doesn't sound too different from Under Jolly Roger, and so on and so forth. But by the time you reach Blazon Stone, you look back and go "This sounds fucking NOTHING like Gates to Purgatory!". Once you hit Victory, you can say that sounds nothing like Blazon Stone. Rogues en Vogue sounds like nearly a different band than the Running Wild that did Gates to Purgatory (well aware that it actually WAS a very different band at this point, thank you very much). I guess if Hibria can do it like Running Wild did, I'll just be a fanboy of yet another band. Maybe it just needs time.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:03 am 

That's actually very true I'd say. It's kind of like they have a lot of pairs for their releases. Gates and Branded were pretty similar, then Under Jolly Roger and Port Royal brought in the pirate idea's, Death or Glory and Blazon Stone began to speed things up a bit, Pile of Skulls was kind of like a prototype for Black Hand Inn and Masquerade, etc.

I guess, pretty much what you were kind of saying? :lol:

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:04 am 

So how about that new Hibria?

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next