Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SuperVeji4
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:49 am 

http://www.atpfestival.com/atp/Events/T ... /Sleep.php
http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2 ... iting.html

Too bad I don't live in the UK, but this is still some pretty cool news. Volume One is kind of weak, but Holy Mountain kicks major ass and Dopesmoker was quite the experience when I first listened to it. Even though it seems that their only reforming for a show or two, I do wonder on whether or not they'll do another album as well. But whatever, this is still some great news!

So uh, what do you guys think?

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:20 am 

I enjoyed Dopesmoker, and I like High on Fire. I'm convinced Matt Pike is awesome. This is good news.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:24 am 

He sure is. Sleep kicks arse, High on Fire kicks arse.

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:37 am 

Sleep are awesome. Holy Mountain is a great album.

Mungo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:51 am 

It would be the very definition of 'most awesome shit ever' if they toured Australia and played Dopesmoker in it's entirety live.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:29 am 

Mungo wrote:
It would be the very definition of 'most awesome shit ever' if they toured Australia and played Dopesmoker in it's entirety live.

I would very much enjoy that.

ForNaught
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:45 am 

Yeah, heard about this a few days ago. Nothing is certain at this point but if I can get tickets I will be going to it.

spacepig
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:56 am 

Fans of Sleep (and High on Fire) should check out their earlier incarnation, Asbestosdeath, which is similar to Sleep, but with a darker, doomier vibe. Southern Lord put out a reissue last year. I'm not quite as into Om, but they're not bad either when the mood strikes for something a bit more chill.

Anyway, yeah--I'm looking forward to hearing this.

ReigningChaos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:41 pm 

This is great news. It's just too bad I don't live in the UK. I doubt a new Sleep recording will come out of this, although it would be cool! I'm not sure how it would turn out though; High on Fire sucks and while Om have their moments, they're no where near as good as Sleep were. I wish Sleep would tour the US though, that would be rule.

NocturnalHolocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:10 pm 

Sleep are such a great band, all of their albums are fucking choice. It's too bad that they aren't playing any shows in the US though. You English folk better go see that shit!

mrchris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:11 pm 

I admit they have talent but I don't see the point of reuniting for 1 or 2 shows. Reunions should be for getting together and pushing another album or so before splitting for good/staying together.

neonchipmunk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:32 pm 

I think being able to go see them live would be awesome but I'm kind of glad that a few live shows is all it is supposed to amount to. It's not that I don't like Sleep it's because I do. Reunions that end up producing new material almost always end up disappointing. Bands never seem to be able to recapture the magic. I hope they don't produce some basterdized new album that only taints the memory of an amazing band.

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:42 pm 

neonchipmunk wrote:
I think being able to go see them live would be awesome but I'm kind of glad that a few live shows is all it is supposed to amount to. It's not that I don't like Sleep it's because I do. Reunions that end up producing new material almost always end up disappointing. Bands never seem to be able to recapture the magic. I hope they don't produce some basterdized new album that only taints the memory of an amazing band.

Wrong. They should make a new album. Do you really want to sit here and wonder what might have been? If you don't like it, simply don't listen to it. You never know. It could (if they even go this far) wind up being their best yet.

As of now though, we're just arguing about hopes.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:41 pm 

This was a bit of surprise. I thought that Chris and Al were on bad terms after Chris left Om. Still, this is cool news (it'd be cooler if I lived in the UK).

SuperVeji4
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:54 pm 

TadGhostal wrote:
This was a bit of surprise. I thought that Chris and Al were on bad terms after Chris left Om. Still, this is cool news (it'd be cooler if I lived in the UK).

I always wondered why that guy left. In fact, I really don't know why Sleep broke up in the first place. I keep on hearing that they broke up because of troubles with their record label, but that dosen't really make sense to me. I mean, breaking up and forming their own bands solved the problem? Anyone know for sure?

Craggzy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:51 am 

it was because they got signed to london records who asked them to write a sabbath style album that would sell instead they spent all of the money on weed and recorded dopesmoker. London records then said this won't sell and dropped them. This is how jerusalem came about because london records split the album into 6 tracks shortend it and changed then name, what a surprise it sold very well then rise above re-released it as it is a better label.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:56 am 

SuperVeji4 wrote:
TadGhostal wrote:

I always wondered why that guy left. In fact, I really don't know why Sleep broke up in the first place. I keep on hearing that they broke up because of troubles with their record label, but that dosen't really make sense to me. I mean, breaking up and forming their own bands solved the problem? Anyone know for sure?

I recall reading an interview with Matt Pike where he said the stress over the London deal led to tension in the band, which is why they split. It's clear, looking at their post-Sleep bands, that Matt wanted to pursue a more aggressive direction than the other guys. I don't know what happened with Chris and Al in Om, but I heard they weren't even on speaking terms. Maybe that info is wrong, or maybe Matt is playing middle man and peacemaker.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.