Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Human666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:19 pm 

I know that the title above is quite confusing because I don't know myself how to categorize the type of metal I'm looking for.

I'm basically looking for albums which sounds like:

Amorphis-Tales From The Thousand Lakes
and
Orphaned Land-El Norra Alila.

Avoid recommending Gothenburg style melodeath (At The Gates, Arch Enemy etc...)
Avoid recommending just plain doom albums (Such as old Katatonia or Paradise Lost)
And avoid recommending just prog metal, because it isn't what I'm looking for.

The most important characteristics of the albums I mentioned before (El Norra Alila and Tales From The Thousand Lakes) are these fluid type of melodic and heavy riffs, the complex structures and the easy flowing of the songs.

I don't know how to describe it better than that, I think that people who listened to these albums deeply enough will know what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance ;)

Alocer7138r
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:26 pm 

I'm guessing you like edge of sanity then, right?

thomash
Metal Philosopher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:19 pm 

Solecism! They're a very progressive melodic death metal band with noticeable doom influences. I wouldn't say that they're a death/doom band, but they have moments of extreme doominess, particularly "Slave." You should definitely check them out.

DerekBuhr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:40 pm 

You might enjoy Novembre. I saw the title and the first band that came to my mind was them. They definitely use doom elements with progressive elements and a nice sense of melody. I'd recommend their latest, The Blue, it was a great album to say the least. Not sure if they'll have a strong enough death influence for you though. Yet, I feel they meet your description of strong melodies and heavy riffs with a flowing organic quality.

Airflla
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:50 pm 

You might benefit from checking out the Russian band Ekklesiast, I've got their Holod (Cold) album, it's got an interesting mix of tempos and the drumming is fairly convoluted at times. There are plenty of acoustic passages, the vocals are straight up growls with infrequent female backing vox. It's not overly cheesy nor hard to listen to, give it a shot..

Pfuntner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:07 pm 

thomash wrote:
Solecism! They're a very progressive melodic death metal band with noticeable doom influences. I wouldn't say that they're a death/doom band, but they have moments of extreme doominess, particularly "Slave." You should definitely check them out.

Do you mean Solecism from Chicago? I just played a show with them a few days ago. They're really good!

thomash
Metal Philosopher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:16 pm 

Pfuntner wrote:
thomash wrote:

Do you mean Solecism from Chicago? I just played a show with them a few days ago. They're really good!

Yeah, that's them. Also, I was at that show; I was helping them move their equipment up there. Which band were you playing in?

Snarf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:10 pm 

Visceral Evisceration! (If you don't mind gore lyrics)

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.