Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Spedwin142
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:42 am 

I was adding albums to my collection, and I noticed that Nevermore is not on this site. Why is that? :???:

DrommerOmDod
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:45 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=44

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:46 am 

You probably spelled it wrong.

Edit: Nevermind.

Last edited by Snowgrave on Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Spedwin142
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:46 am 

Oh ok. I thought that was an entirely different band. lol

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:53 am 

Spedwin142 wrote:
Oh ok. I thought that was an entirely different band. lol

Now why would you think that?

Spedwin142
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:57 am 

Because I am sleep-deprived, and the picture of the band and the band's logo threw me off.

steady666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:15 am 

Ok...

Lets turn this into a Nevermore discussion.

I bought 'Year of the Voyager' the other day, double dvd double cd. It is very good although it is heavily edited on the first dvd. Good to see Chris Broderick on their as well. He is a fantastic guitarist, Megadeth doesn't really do him much justice. I particularly enjoy the bonus dvd with all the extra content (most of it I've seen on youtube mind you) although I don't think I need to hear the song 'Born' ever again haha. Anyone else got it/seen it? Thoughts?

Waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:20 am 

steady666 wrote:
Let's turn this into a Nevermore discussion.

I have a premonition it'll turn into a flamewar/shitstorm. :uh oh:

Anyway, Sanctuary and Serpent's Knight are better.

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:22 am 

Catachthonian wrote:
steady666 wrote:

Serpent's Knight is the only band in this thread so far of which I have an album by. Never could enjoy Nevermore. Never really tried Sanctuary.

Serpent's Knight is awesome though.

steady666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:31 am 

Catachthonian wrote:
steady666 wrote:

Yeah I realise this but people can keep that to themselves. I've never really understood all the hate, especially when other mediocre bands get a lot more love....

Sanctuary are good, although very very cheesy... the lyrics from future tense make me bang my head against the table... not in a good way.
I wish Warrel sung more shrieks these days. One of the greatest moments in Nevermore is the end of the song 'Godless Endeavor' when he screams '..the sky has opened'.

Was I the only Nevermore fan that wasn't overly impressed with either Warrel's or Jeff's solo cds? Jeff is very talented but I was pissed because 90% of the stuff could have been used for Nevermore's newest album!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:27 am 

Nevermore are a pretty bad band, with little redeeming factors at all. They do not play particularly enjoyable music, nor is it anything stunning, progressive, emotional, heavy or aggressive. It's just...there. Plodding along. Sometimes their solos are good, but that's not enough to save the band. Pretty much a waste of time.

Quote:
especially when other mediocre bands get a lot more love....

I'd honestly like to know which bands you're referring to.

Third_of_the_Storms
Stupid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:48 am 

Serpent's Knight has some of the most wretched, god-awful out-of-key screeching I've ever heard in my life. People actually listen to that dreck willingly?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:48 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Quote:

Primordial, Demilich, Cirith Ungol off the top of my head.

Anyways, Nevermore was one of the bands that opened the heavy metal door for me, so they'll always have a special place in my heart, even though I've recently come to realize how much Dane's vocals truly wander in and out of key. I still think he's a good lyricist, and that Loomis is an incredible guitar player.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:32 pm 

I'm a huge Nevermore fan, should it even be in question to consider getting the new DVD, Year of the Voyager? Or is it an automatic buy for a fanboy like myself?

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:06 pm 

I'm surprised you haven't bought it already.

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:16 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Nevermore are a pretty bad band, with little redeeming factors at all. They do not play particularly enjoyable music, nor is it anything stunning, progressive, emotional, heavy or aggressive. It's just...there. Plodding along. Sometimes their solos are good, but that's not enough to save the band. Pretty much a waste of time..

Agreed. I tried to get into this band and they seemingly have alot of the elements you would look for in a good metal band but simply put, the music just does not move me at all. They have talent but something about their sound is just very stale and unoriginal to me.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:43 pm 

Nevermore is such a mixed up band. On each and every one of their albums they have a few really stunning songs, a few that are fairly average plodders and a few that are utterly terrible. I don't know how they can get away with being so consistently inconsistent.

steady666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:31 pm 

I don't find them to be too inconsistent. Just there's some songs that songs that stand out more than others.

Empyreal wrote:
Nevermore are a pretty bad band, with little redeeming factors at all. They do not play particularly enjoyable music, nor is it anything stunning, progressive, emotional, heavy or aggressive. It's just...there. Plodding along. Sometimes their solos are good, but that's not enough to save the band. Pretty much a waste of time.

I found it surprising that you said emotional. You haven't heard Dreaming Neon Black have you?

Empyreal wrote:
steady666 wrote:

:)

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:59 pm 

No, and I won't listen to it; I can infer what it sounds like by their other releases. I mean, I know some bands have albums that sound drastically different, but every release I've heard by these guys has generally the same sort of sound. Warrel Dane is the main reason they have no emotion; his vocals are just terrible.

steady666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:22 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
No, and I won't listen to it; I can infer what it sounds like by their other releases. I mean, I know some bands have albums that sound drastically different, but every release I've heard by these guys has generally the same sort of sound. Warrel Dane is the main reason they have no emotion; his vocals are just terrible.

This is what annoys me the most. People saying Warrel Dane's vocals are terrible. He is probably the best thing about the band. I cannot praise Warrel enough. He's bringing skill in singing back into metal. I find it bizarre that most people don't like this band specifically because of their singer; most people just want more of the same.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:32 pm 

steady666 wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

This is what annoys me the most. People saying Warrel Dane's vocals are terrible. He is probably the best thing about the band. I cannot praise Warrel enough. He's bringing skill in singing back into metal. I find it bizarre that most people don't like this band specifically because of their singer; most people just want more of the same.

*sigh*

No, it's not that we want more of the same, it's that we'd prefer our vocalist learn and appreciate something simple like staying in key. I love Nevermore, they are a very sentimental band to me, but I've noted his sub-par vocals since I've grown as a critic.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:41 pm 

It's not about wanting more of the same, it's about wanting a singer who doesn't sound bored as shit.

steady666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:48 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
steady666 wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

*sigh*

No, it's not that we want more of the same, it's that we'd prefer our vocalist learn and appreciate something simple like staying in key. I love Nevermore, they are a very sentimental band to me, but I've noted his sub-par vocals since I've grown as a critic.

Staying in key??? Of course he stays in key. He just uses a lot of vibrato... many singers do... Especially ones who have been opera trained. Oh well.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:49 pm 

steady666 wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
steady666 wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

*sigh*

Staying in key??? Of course he stays in key. He just uses a lot of vibrato... many singers do... Especially ones who have been opera trained. Oh well.

There is a difference between a lot of vibrato (Candlemass) and warbling (Nevermore).

DrommerOmDod
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:56 pm 

And I would hardly say Warrel Dane is "opera-trained" either...

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:00 am 

DrommerOmDod wrote:

Well.... he is. He sure as hell doesn't sound like it, and it seems like the only aspect he carried over in recent years was overprojecting his voice to a ridiculous degree live.

steady666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:01 am 

DrommerOmDod wrote:

Quote:
Dane was trained for five years as an opera singer and utilizes a very broad vocal range (between 5 and 6 octaves according to Warrel's teacher), spanning from low to very high notes.

From Wikipedia.

Yes yes wikipedia lies blah blah. I've heard/seen/read it else where as well but I'm too lazy to search for it.

DrommerOmDod
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:03 am 

:eek: He's even worse than I thought then.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:08 am 

BastardHead wrote:
DrommerOmDod wrote:

Well.... he is. He sure as hell doesn't sound like it, and it seems like the only aspect he carried over in recent years was overprojecting his voice to a ridiculous degree live.

Why doesn't he sound like it?

steady666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:11 am 

DrommerOmDod wrote:
:eek: He's even worse than I thought then.

:(

I'm curious DrommerOmDod who is a singer that you enjoy?

DrommerOmDod
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:17 am 

I actually enjoy him, I'm just saying his technique seems horrible for someone who was trained. I don't mean to come off as the pretentious music student I like to think I am! It hardly matters in metal; as I mentioned in the Akercocke thread, Jason Mendonca is one of my favorite vocalist depsite his tendency to go flat.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:22 am 

Expedience wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
DrommerOmDod wrote:

I mean he doesn't carry a stereotypically operatic voice. I can't imagine anybody hearing him and saying "I'll bet my sack that he was trained to sing in the fucking opera!".

steady666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:26 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Expedience wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
DrommerOmDod wrote:

I mean he doesn't carry a stereotypically operatic voice. I can't imagine anybody hearing him and saying "I'll bet my sack that he was trained to sing in the fucking opera!".

Really? Because thats pretty much what my mum said when she heard me playing Nevermore... haha

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:28 am 

steady666 wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
Expedience wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
DrommerOmDod wrote:

Really? Because thats pretty much what my mum said when she heard me playing Nevermore... haha

..........Your mom has a sack?

steady666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:29 am 

BastardHead wrote:
steady666 wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
Expedience wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
DrommerOmDod wrote:

..........Your mom has a sack?

Probably.

edit: nice post for your 666th

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:35 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
Quote:

Anyways, Nevermore was one of the bands that opened the heavy metal door for me, so they'll always have a special place in my heart, even though I've recently come to realize how much Dane's vocals truly wander in and out of key. I still think he's a good lyricist, and that Loomis is an incredible guitar player.
No wonder why you gave Lair of the Minotaur's War Metal Battle Master a 95% and think Demilich is mediocre, you hate metal.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:59 am 

WebOfPiss wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
Quote:

No wonder why you gave Lair of the Minotaur's War Metal Battle Master a 95% and think Demilich is mediocre, you hate metal.

Yup, you caught me, I hate metal.

I definitely scored War Metal Battle Master far too high, I didn't write it with a clear mindset. I was in that state of initial enthusiasm, and didn't let it sink in properly. I still like it, but it sure as hell isn't worth a 95. As for Demilich, I can appreciate the originality of it, but the music just doesn't do anything for me. It's quite unique and innovative, but that doesn't guarantee greatness in my eyes, and the actual songwriting and riffs don't back up the originality to me.

On the subject of Nevermore, I rarely listen to them anymore, but I used to be one of those deplorable fanboys that we all know back when I first discovered them at age 13. I think the fact that I was able to grow out of it is good enough for me (I once claimed, back then, that none of their albums should be scored below 98). I still appreciate them for the nostalgia and guitar playing, but not very often.

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:08 am 

@Bastard

Why do you think Cirith Ungol is mediocre?

Primemattimus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:16 am 

On the subject of Nevermore (before this thread gets locked which it may, lol):

I like them, but just can't get into them like a lot of people can. I can't put my finger on why. I dont think Warrel Dane is neccesarily worse than alot of "power metal" singers, shit I like him alot better than say, Ripper Owens, but theres this thing to Nevermore that I cannot define exactly that I dislike- it IS probably related to Warel though.

Its kind of like, this whining, negative, depressing thing that goes along with them and a band like Pain of Salvation (who I like a little more but still not up to favorite level or anything), but its also plodding at the same time and it just makes this weird effect on the listener. i cant explain it, but its not like i jerk off to the last four Iced Earth or anything either.

I like Anathema who can be plodding and depressing, so I just really cant pinpoint what it is about Nevermore that I dislike, but its probably the way they write their albums and music.

Jeff Loomis though is a stellar player.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:23 am 

WebOfPiss wrote:
@Bastard

Why do you think Cirith Ungol is mediocre?

I'm not entirely sure.... they are a bizarre anomaly when it comes to my taste. Whenever I listen to them, I think that they are incredibly awesome and that they are a really underappreciated band. But the VERY SECOND I change over to listen to something else, I forget they exist. The fact that they haven't written anything memorable enough for me to hum whilst at work or something is a bad sign. I almost never feel the urge to go crank King of the Dead at any point in the day at any point in the week at any point in the month et cetera ad nauseum. The riffs are okay, the vocals grate on me a little bit, but it isn't catchy (which isn't a necessity) nor memorable, and the latter is one of the most important qualities of music to me.

They're just.... there. They just exist to me, nothing more. They're nestled nicely between Chozo XABY and Cloven Hoof on my iTunes, and they'll probably never leave considering I don't have the heart to delete them in a vain hope that they'll someday just click with me. And to me, mediocrity can be accurately labeled to a band that doesn't excite me in absolutely any way, but doesn't suck either.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next