Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 10:48 am 

US blackened speed metallers Bewitcher will release their fourth full length, Spell Shock, on September 27 through Century Media Records. From the press release:

Quote:
All the best tunes belong to the Devil, and Portland’s bastard sons BEWITCHER have returned to take back rock n’ roll in Baphomet’s name.
“Starfire Maelstrom”, the pummeling first invocation from the vaunted trio’s upcoming album “Spell Shock” (due Sept 27th on Century Media Records) is the hardened and bloodthirsty sound of BEWITCHER - noise, filth, fury n’ all.

“It’s full of apocalyptic, speed demon vibes, and imagery taken from the worst of current events that only get more apocalyptic as time goes by,” says BEWITCHER frontman Mateo Von Bewitcher of Spell Shock’s lead missive. “It’s the feeling you get from ‘Fight Fire with Fire’ on [Metallica’s] ‘Ride the Lightning’. It’s immediate how it feeds into themes of human destruction and war, but also has cosmic elements. It’s a classic album opener.” Joining Von Bewitcher, bassist A. Magus, and drummer A. Hunter in the studio this time was none other longtime BEWITCHER fan Lars Frederiksen. Most of the world knows Frederiksen as a force in his own right, playing in the likes of Bay Area punk heroes Rancid, as well as his own Old Firm Casuals. While to some, it may have been an unlikely pairing with Frederiksen taking the producer’s seat, for everyone in the studio the connection was immediate. Says Frederiksen on Spell Shock: "It’s the best record I’ve ever produced for one of the best bands in the world."

Starfire Maelstrom has been released as the first single:
Spoiler: show

Stoked we're getting new Bewitcher this year, Cursed Be Thy Kingdom was a great record. From the single it seems like they're going for a more blackened approach this time around, kind of similar to what Hellripper did with Warlocks Grim & Withered Hags. Should be another solid release regardless.

Last edited by Kalaratri on Fri May 17, 2024 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
koolaidprodigy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 11:36 am 

I am a huge fan and they put on a great live show. I actually saw them for the second time last night and it was a great time. I will always be down for new Bewitcher.

AxeCapitol
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 4:16 pm 

New single is great! Excited for this one!

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 1:15 am 

I’m sure it’s a coincidence, but I can’t get over the fact that the main riff sounds almost exactly like the main riff from this:

https://youtu.be/E1oMGugkMy0?feature=shared

Anyway, Bewitcher have done some cool stuff, and I’ll definitely check this out. Given how played out the whole blackened speed metal schtick has become, I do hope they spread their wings a little with this one however.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 2:19 pm 

praey wrote:
I’m sure it’s a coincidence, but I can’t get over the fact that the main riff sounds almost exactly like the main riff from this:

https://youtu.be/E1oMGugkMy0?feature=shared

Anyway, Bewitcher have done some cool stuff, and I’ll definitely check this out. Given how played out the whole blackened speed metal schtick has become, I do hope they spread their wings a little with this one however.

Probably just a similar pool of influences. They've been pretty open about KISS, AC/DC, and Van Halen being among their biggest inspirations these days. They also moved away from the blackened speed metal style on Cursed Be Thy Kingdom, probably for that reason.

Reply to topic