Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Church13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:15 am 

I know a lot of purists and/or elitists regard death metal pointless after 1996, but there are so many hidden gems, especially in 2000-2005. I'd like to discuss some of the best death metal from 2000 to now, whether or not it's Nile or something totally underground, as long as it's an album you would safely give a 90 or 95+ to. I'll start

Psycroptic- The Scepter of the Ancients (2003)

What a unique album, everything from the vocals, riffs, production, even being from a Tasmanian band. Everything about it is so indicative of its time period including the overly digital cover. Their best album for sure and it totally doesn't get enough credit when technical death metal is mentioned, although every one that listens seems to love it

Oxenkiller
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:24 am 

Are you by chance a member of that band?

If so, your band is very technically proficient and dexterous as far as playing ability. As far as songwriting, well, I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who will like it.

Or as they say in 2000's death metal-ese: "Breeeeee reee reee ree reeee."

Church13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:38 am 

You caught me, I've been a member of the forums for over 3 years and have just this moment decided to shamelessly plug my band's 13 year old album

halfformedfetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:28 am 

Il be happy to mention Anata's last three albums (or all four).
Such amazing musicianship somewhat similar to Psycroptic as mentioned above. Anata seemed to have such a wacked out sense of melody that I found so interesting, the drummer is tight as fuck, and so damn interesting, i just wish they would release another album... a man can dream ay?

:aww: at the vocalists hair cut on the conductors departure

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:40 am 

I would personally say "Elvenefris" by Lykathea Aflame is the best DM album post-2000. There's not much to say about it that hasn't already been said, but it's one of the most unique metal albums of any period. In fact, it may be my favorite DM album of all time.

Hell Bent Devil Sent
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:59 am 

Immolation - "Close to a World Below"
Nile - Everything from "Black Seeds of Vengeance" to "Those Whom the Gods Detest"
Deeds of Flesh - "Reduced to Ashes"
Bolt Thrower - "Those Once Loyal"
Demigod - "Let Chaos Prevail"

off the top of my head

Oxenkiller
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:03 pm 

I guess, to clarify, some of the reasons I tend to prefer far more pre-1996 death metal releases to modern ones can be found with the Psycroptic band band mentioned in the original post. Psycroptic are very technical and fast, this is true. But it has the typical dry, clinical and lightweight production that many modern bands have, with none of the gritty, dirty, noisy bottom end that made Bolt Thrower and Incantation so special. Its fast and technical without being heavy, you could say. The other issue is the riffs aren't that catchy and there is no real flow to it, it simply lurches from one fast chromatic riff to a bunch of random breakdowns and back again- its the same issue I have with bands like Waking the Cadaver (and the "breeee ree reee" vocals remind me uncomfortably of that band as well.)

I have seen people use this forum to promote their own band's material, so I apologize for that accusation. Psycroptic are far better than most of those people's bands however, I must admit. There have been some pretty terrible bands passed off on here by their members as "The most brutal this and that whatever."

This is a track from Anal Vomit, an example of a modern death metal band who do it right in my opinion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKsZP6z ... VttusDhJzf
(not my band either, I certainly wouldn't name my band "Anal Vomit.)
Blasting fast riffs, filthy production, catchy and genuinely brutal- this is why I got into death metal originally. Bands like Lykathea Aflame and Cephalic Carnage are why I got out of death metal eventually. And no disrespect to either band, Its a matter of taste and I simply don't care for them.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:05 pm 

Church13 wrote:
I know a lot of purists and/or elitists...

Stopped reading at that.

Same goes for reviews. Enough with the revisionism from people who were in diapers (at best) when the scene was thriving.

Last.fm

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:08 pm 

If you want to talk about how good Sonne Adam, Horrendous, Ares Kingdom, Deathevokation or Vanhelgd are, I'm down with that. Never been much for tech death though, aside from some bands like Iniquity.

hmi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:27 pm 

Decapitated - Winds of Creation. Godly dm album from 2000, and I'm not big on tech death either.

Iniquity - Grime. Everything from them is perfection, this is from 2001.

Sinister - Afterburner. I'm a huge Sinister fan so I like all their stuff but this is hands down the best of their post-2000 albums. It might even be my all-time favorite Sinister album if I had to pick one.

Monstrosity - Rise to Power. Perfect, powerful Florida death metal from 2003.

Blaspherian - Infernal Warriors of Death. Excellent new(ish) death metal and my favorite of all the throwback bands.

Hell Bent Devil Sent wrote:
Immolation - "Close to a World Below"
Bolt Thrower - "Those Once Loyal"

Agreed on both counts and add every Immolation album, period. Some may disagree but I do think every single Immolation album is perfect and (un)godly and the majority of them are post-2000.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:12 pm 

Immolation Close to a World Below, Unnholy Cult, Shadows in the Light, Majesty and Decay
Cianide - Divide and Conquer, Hell's Rebirth
Morbid Angel - Gateways to Annihilation

Leaving two thirds of this as one of those much frowned-upon uncommented lists because I think no more needs to be said about Immolation and Morbid Angel in a death metal thread, there's disagreement here and there, but in my world, those are simply masterpieces.

That leaves those two Cianide albums that I simply think play up the band's strengths to the max. It's simple as fuck stuff and to most people it isn't much to listen to at all, but there's an almost unmatched brutality to the band's primitive bludgeoning that just gets me with how uncaring and unforgiving it is.

Honourary mention goes to Divine Eve's reunion EP, which is awesome, but two short new songs and two re-recorded old songs is not enough to qualify as a masterpiece, I'll need a full-length of that quality.

Hell Bent Devil Sent
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:15 pm 

Yeah, I love all Immolation's stuff as well. Can't believe I forgot that Decapitated. I fucking love Iniquity as well so I'll have to check out Grime which I haven't heard yet.

We have verrrrrry similar DM taste, comrade hmi.

EDIT: I also am trying out "Scepter of the Ancients" at behest of the OP; groovy shit. Kinda thin production but catchy and tight.

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:05 pm 

Seconding Gateways Into Annihilation. Best death metal record ever.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:18 pm 

I feel like this will just be a "list your favourite 21st century albums" thread, which is good if there's some discussion behind it.

I have literally so many I enjoy that listing them would be futile, but rest assured there's a huge amount of post-2000 death metal I greatly enjoy. :)
iamntbatman wrote:
taintpubes

Napalm_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:22 pm 

DECHRISTIANIZE!

I love this album, it is just ridiculous and dumb in every way. It takes a few concepts seen in older death metal, exaggerates it to new heights, and runs with it for upwards of 10 minutes per song. It absolutely rips, it is grandiose, pretentious and overwrought in all the right ways, and good god is it heavy and intense! A far more fitting monument to blasphemy than the likes of a certain French black metal album.

Cryptic Writings.

Thiestru
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:36 pm 

This isn't pure death metal, but it is purely awesome: Deceased's 'As the Weird Travel On'. Kicking off with the highly underrated 'The Kept' (my favorite Deceased song), this album is filled to the brim with great death/thrash with lots of influence from traditional heavy metal. This album doesn't really do anything stylistically differently from 'Fearless Undead Machines' or 'Surreal Overdose', but for some reason it strikes me as the best record they've ever done. This album in particular and this band in general really deserve more recognition.

Youtube: show

If you're interested in hearing my music, it can be found here: http://thiestru.bandcamp.com. Wassail.

RapeTheDead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:29 pm 

I was of the opinion that post-00s death metal was shit compared to the 90s stuff, but I now know that's a dumb thing. 90s death metal laid the foundation but the 00s expanded on it in a lot of cool ways.

Anyways, one album that hasn't been mentioned that immediately comes to mind: Funebrarum - The Sleep of Morbid Dreams. Takes influence from OSDM without aping it, and sounds modern and fresh without resorting to cheap tactics. Fantastic riffs all over the place, and at the end of the day it's just heavy as everloving shit. A modern death metal classic if there ever was one, I tell ya.

SKYLESS AEONS -- Melodic death/black metal. Era of Famine out now!

Hell Bent Devil Sent
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:00 pm 

Great suggestions.

I completely forgot: NOX - "Ixaxaar".

Killer through and through.

Gore__Grinder
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:06 pm 

+1 on all the Close to a World Below mentions.

I want to add in Ulcerate: Everything is Fire

Atmosphere on that one is untouched, and the riffs!

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:02 pm 

RapeTheDead wrote:
Anyways, one album that hasn't been mentioned that immediately comes to mind: Funebrarum - The Sleep of Morbid Dreams. Takes influence from OSDM without aping it, and sounds modern and fresh without resorting to cheap tactics. Fantastic riffs all over the place, and at the end of the day it's just heavy as everloving shit. A modern death metal classic if there ever was one, I tell ya.

This, absolutely. I'll thrown the debut in as well. It's a much more atmospheric affair and it sounds like you stumbled into this cave of unspeakable Lovecraftian horrors and blasphemies against flesh.

Basically everything this band has done is 11/10.

Required Fields
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:15 pm 

Decapitated - Winds of Creation
Decapitated - The Negation
Decrepit Birth - Polarity
Skeletal Remains - Beyond the Flesh
Soreption - Engineering the Void
Unbreakable Hatred - Ruins

Church13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:04 am 

Diamhea wrote:
Church13 wrote:
I know a lot of purists and/or elitists...

Stopped reading at that.

Same goes for reviews. Enough with the revisionism from people who were in diapers (at best) when the scene was thriving.

There is absolutely nothing "revisionist" about my post, it's a harmless statement on the MODERN DAY metal fans TODAY who consider death metal to be obsolete after that time period. It really has nothing to do with my whole post except an introductory statement. Really dude try to have some fun, we're just here to go over some good albums

MikeyC wrote:
I feel like this will just be a "list your favourite 21st century albums" thread, which is good if there's some discussion behind it.

I have literally so many I enjoy that listing them would be futile, but rest assured there's a huge amount of post-2000 death metal I greatly enjoy. :)

Do you have one or two that stand above the rest? As mentioned a few times already, Close to a World Below might be my favorite DM album of them all. Majesty and Decay was also an excellent album in the second half of the discography

HeavenDuff
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:36 am 

My personal picks:

Benighted - ICP (2004)

A band that is often overlooked by some for obscure reasons. Their album ICP is fast, abrasive and unpredictable. I simply love it! Amazing album!

Fleshgod Apocalypse - Oracles (2009)

Truly an amazing 2000's death metal masterpiece. I'm very happy with how they've exploited the classical elements to include it in very aggressive and well-writen non-wanky technical death metal with a thick guitar sound and amazing drumming. Their following material is sub-par symphonic dm, but Oracles is still great!

Blood Red Throne - Altered Genesis (2005)

The bass on this album! Goddamn! BRT were always a force to reckon with, but Altered Genesis is most likely the greatest death metal record of the 2000 era, IMHO. Their music is borderline technical but it never becomes a show of technical chops at any point. It's just well-writen death metal with a strong focus on riffing. Død truly knows where he wants to lead his band, and the riffing is what leads this almost 20 years old beast that is BRT.

Blood Red Throne - Brutalitarian Regime (2011)

Not as iconic as Altered Genesis, but still inspired and unforviging.

Funebrarum - The Sleep of Morbid Dreams (2009)

My favorite album of the band. The production helps the band deliver a relentless brutal tech death metal album that I always go back to when I need my brain to get shaken up a little bit.

Nader Sadek - In The Flesh (2011)

I wouldn't say that this album is a masterpiece, but I still want to mention it. There is a good idea behind this project. Nader Sadek has an idea of the aesthetics he wants to explore with his project, and I love the dark, heavy, black metal-inspired atmosphere of this album. The album is not a masterpiece, but it's material to expand upon, and still worth a listen.

hmi wrote:
Decapitated - Winds of Creation. Godly dm album from 2000, and I'm not big on tech death either.

Agreed. Amazing album by a band that was pretty young at the time.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:01 am 

Church13 wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

Do you have one or two that stand above the rest? As mentioned a few times already, Close to a World Below might be my favorite DM album of them all. Majesty and Decay was also an excellent album in the second half of the discography

I agree that Close to a World Below is Immolation's best album, actually by a good distance, too. I guess that could be one that's considered a masterpiece.

I'll mention some others, if anyone cares, haha.

Anata - The Conductor's Departure
Anata were always a good band, but they stepped it up on Under a Stone With No Inscription. Then they came out with their unbeatable masterpiece of The Conductor's Departure, which contains the melody, the riffs, the technical mastery they had before and amped it up to its fullest potential. Every song is identifiable, every song has its own flair, and the album as a whole benefits from it, while still retaining the Anata feel.

Anomalous - OHMnivalent
I've already written a review of this but to quickly sum it up: it's everything I want in tech death put together so masterfully that it's hard to properly explain. Full of awesome riffs, solos, drumming, bass breaks, vocal lines, and other random noises in the background. It all comes together awesomely.

Undergang - Indhentet af Doden
All that know this one know of its greatness. A throwback to old school death metal done so well it's too hard to ignore. A filthy, slimy album that hits all the right spots.

Teitanblood - Seven Chalices
Another old school revival band, except this time they focus on evilness and the impending doom, while also being super chaotic. The follow-up was slightly disappointing to me, but this one captures the exact sound Teitanblood were going for without losing sight of the big picture: heavy riffs and a frenzied song structure, all the while dripping with evil. Fantastic.

I'll leave it there, but there's seriously many, many more I could've put there. Maybe I'll make another post later.
iamntbatman wrote:
taintpubes

stefan86
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:11 am 

I really need to revisit "The Conductor's Departure". Been a long time since I listened to them but I remember that I preferred "Under a Stone.."

Albums I would call classic:
Blood Red Throne - Altered Genesis (BRT's peak and the epitome of riffage in death metal)
Immolation - Unholy Cult / Majesty and Decay (Can't choose between these two albums, both have a perfect tracklist and the darkness only this band can create)
Infinitum - The Sixth Extinction (so weird that this band didn't turn huge. Suffocation meets melody, insane riffage and solid songwriting)

Unsure if I would agree on the classic status for Psycroptic, but "Scepter.." is surely a fantastic album. I can still enjoy it a lot despite my growing aversion for lightweight tech-death.

Add me on last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/stefan86

Church13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:33 am 

stefan86 wrote:
Unsure if I would agree on the classic status for Psycroptic, but "Scepter.." is surely a fantastic album. I can still enjoy it a lot despite my growing aversion for lightweight tech-death.

Not too into lightweight death metal in general either, which is why I hold that Psycroptic album so highly, since it is good enough for me to overlook it's non brutality. Otherwise I'm in the same boat as you

stefan86
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:08 am 

Church13 wrote:
Not too into lightweight death metal in general either, which is why I hold that Psycroptic album so highly, since it is good enough for me to overlook it's non brutality. Otherwise I'm in the same boat as you

Yeah. What I like about that album is how it grooves, and how otherwordly the combo of the vocal onslaught and weird guitar riffs are at times. They never quite reached those heights after "Scepter.." except in a song or two, methinks.

Sokaris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:58 am 

I've got a few that I find myself constantly gravitating towards that I try to bring up any chance I get. For me I have some nostalgia attached to this time period, I pretty much started dabbling in extreme metal in 2000 and had become a total convert in the next couple years.

The Forsaken- Manifest of Hate
I'm mentioning this first because The Forsaken, to me, is just about the most criminally underrated band of all time. They tend to get lumped into that dull sect of post-Slaughter of the Soul Swedish acts (Darkane, Carnal Forge, The Haunted, etc) but easily outpace any of those bands by a mile. Their sound is a bit hard to describe, categorically it's melodic death metal but there's just as likely to be a Cannibal Corpse-esque hammer-on heavy bridge as a spiky Gothenburg verse or around each corner. The vocals are manic, the drumming energetic and the leads are oldschool and infectious.

The Crown- Deathrace King
Probably my favorite death metal album of all time, it smashes together the energy of thrash, the aggression of death metal and rock and roll hookiness. There's this hedonistic attitude about the whole thing, a bunch of sleazy death-head party Satanists who brought some oldschool sensibilities to (then) modern brutality without irony or insincerity.

stefan86
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:11 am 

I second "Deathrace King" for sure. Perfect combo of extreme metal and rock n roll attitude. Finally seeing them live in a few months after waiting for over 10 years :)

diseas3
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:25 am 

"Psalms of the Moribund" by Defeated Sanity, they took Suffocation's death metal to the next level, and it's fucking amazing.
"From Wisdom to Hate" by Gorguts, it's a strange record : there's a lot of "atmospheric" parts blended with insane "Obscura" influenced riffs. A true classic in my heart.

ingmar birdman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:39 am 

hmi wrote:
Sinister - Afterburner. I'm a huge Sinister fan so I like all their stuff but this is hands down the best of their post-2000 albums. It might even be my all-time favorite Sinister album if I had to pick one.

Afterburner is fuckin great, as is The Post Apocalyptic Servant from 2014. I enjoy most of their albums but those two feel the most like classic Sinister to me.

acid_bukkake
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:48 am 

diseas3 wrote:
"Psalms of the Moribund" by Defeated Sanity, they took Suffocation's death metal to the next level, and it's fucking amazing.

Seconded. Discovering them with Chapters of Repugnance was a big step in re-solidifying my love for death metal.

Others really worth checking out, post-2000...

Abnormality - Contaminating the Hive Mind
Gorgasm - Orgy of Murder
Hour of Penance - Paradogma, The Vile Conception
Odious Mortem - Devouring the Prophecy

Nolan_B wrote:
Always a bad idea to get black out drunk while hanging around bearded Russian mystics.

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:45 pm 

Incantation has pretty awesome post 2000 albums, specially the last two.

hmi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:40 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
diseas3 wrote:

Seconded. Discovering them with Chapters of Repugnance was a big step in re-solidifying my love for death metal.

Gorgasm - Orgy of Murder

I just realized Masticate to Dominate is from 2003, I would definitely add that one as another post 2000 gem. Gorgasm is one of my favorite bands and I could've sworn Masticate was from 1996 or thereabouts :durr: Orgy of Murder is the one Gorgasm album I don't know but I plan on getting it soon and I know I won't be disappointed. :headbang:

I actually think Destined to Violate is pretty perfect, too, but I don't really know where to draw the line between great album and a gem. Gorgasm is one of few brutal dm bands I like, though, so I would suggest any of their stuff for any dm fan who doesn't know them yet.

ingmar birdman wrote:
hmi wrote:

Afterburner is fuckin great, as is The Post Apocalyptic Servant from 2014. I enjoy most of their albums but those two feel the most like classic Sinister to me.

It's a shame Sinister seems pretty underrated as far as everything past their "classic" albums. I just barely got The Post Apocalyptic Servant last week and learned they have an even newer album out already. They're definitely prolific. BTW I really like the similarly styled artwork they've been using for their recent albums. It's a neat concept and I'm a dork :)

ratrace
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:58 pm 

Shaarimoth - Current 11. An album nobody talks about yet is one of the darkest, most unique, ritualistic death metal album in the history of modern metal.

...and now, after 11 years of silence, these motherfuckers have released (finally!) some new material. Check this out:
https://youtu.be/rehve53QtSw?list=UU98t ... 8_b70WJKyw

Oxenkiller
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:51 pm 

Speaking of The Crown, I bought "Crowned in Terror" right about the time it came out (2002-2003-ish), and it was near the top of my playlist for almost a year. I think they put out like 3 albums right within a 2 year period, but "Crowned in Terror" is the one I'm most familiar with. Totally awesome album, but it is a completely different style than the more tech-death or brutal death metal bands people have been mentioning. It combines the more melodic Swedish stuff like Dark Tranquility and the early In Flames with the aggression and heaviness of Marduk and some of the more brutal stuff- perfect balance and frickin' great songwriting.

ratrace
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:54 pm 

The Crown are a living cliche, a metal cliche, which is worse than just a regular cliche, if there ever was one...

orionparker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:02 pm 

Allegaeon - Elements of The Infinite

Fantastic album. It came up on random for me today and I'm reliving it's brilliance. Great riffs, technicality, speed...and a great songwriting with memorable melodies.

Oxenkiller
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:17 pm 

^^by now, you are probably right, the Crown have become cliché. And waaay too many mediocre bands have been influenced by them who simply didn't have the talent or imagination. Back then though, before they got stale, I still maintain they were a good band with some good albums.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:02 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
diseas3 wrote:

I can't get into the first two for one reason or another, but Chapters of Repugnance was my favourite album of 2010. Of course, Passages Into Deformity is just as killer and one of my favourites of 2013. They've become a really talented band and I hope that continues.

hmi wrote:
acid_bukkake wrote:

Gorgasm - Orgy of Murder

I just realized Masticate to Dominate is from 2003, I would definitely add that one as another post 2000 gem. Gorgasm is one of my favorite bands and I could've sworn Masticate was from 1996 or thereabouts :durr: Orgy of Murder is the one Gorgasm album I don't know but I plan on getting it soon and I know I won't be disappointed. :headbang:

I actually think Destined to Violate is pretty perfect, too, but I don't really know where to draw the line between great album and a gem. Gorgasm is one of few brutal dm bands I like, though, so I would suggest any of their stuff for any dm fan who doesn't know them yet.

Orgy of Murder is awesome, and I liked it more than Destined to Violate, so I'm pretty sure you're going to be pleasantly surprised. :)

As for the others, I would've chosen Cryptic Implosion over Devouring the Prophecy, but I agree with your Hour of Penance choices. :)
iamntbatman wrote:
taintpubes

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next