Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metal_Jaw
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:04 pm 

http://www.metalunderground.com/news/details.cfm?newsid=101132

Cool-looking cover, as always. But that title is a little fucking obvious.

But even still, the first thing I thought was "The Grave Digger" or "Hearts of Darkness". That'd be wicked if they went back to that's style.

Last edited by Metal_Jaw on Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:05 pm 

Wait, the reaper already made a comeback in 1993. C'mon, guys.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:15 pm 

Sweet. Lookin' forward to it, as usual.
Last.fm all day long!

Folkemon_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:22 pm 

First thing i thought of was a return to the darker power metal on the other "reaper" albums

MorbidEngel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:29 pm 

New GD? Sweet
Comes out practically on my birthday? Even better

Gonna be good

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:25 pm 

Throwback to the '93 album The Reaper maybe?

They do the throwback thing quite well, as The Clans Will Rise Again proved, being a sequel to Tunes of War. Either that or it's another newer concept like the Clash of the Gods. They just can do no wrong! The grave is open, the digger smiles! :evil:

http://www.myspace.com/thevala
http://www.last.fm/user/Diamhea

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:39 pm 

I have almost everything by Grave Digger, and by almost everything I'm talking 24 physical releases. Can't wait for the new one, because more Grave Digger is always a good thing.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

TheNiceNightmare
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:39 am 

The album cover feels very "modern Grave Digger-y"...

...this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Grave Digger are pretty cool, I'll be looking forward to this.

Paka01
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:34 am 

It would be great to see Andreas Marschall do cover for them again, but this one is really nice also.

thrashinbatman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:00 am 

Paka01 wrote:
It would be great to see Andreas Marschall do more covers.

Fixed. :-P I love Marschall's work.

Exigence

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:26 am 

All it needs is more songs like "Warrior's Revenge" and all will be well.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:39 am 

I have only heard a few parts of drums, bass and guitar separetly, and judging by the drums they might have sped it up a whole notch. At least some parts, what have I heard, a minute or two max?

I hope it's better than the last offer... The Clans Will Rise Again was a great album, maybe even my favorite GD album ever!

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:58 pm 

In a word: Gimme!

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

BastardHead
Magic Mike

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:26 pm 

Their modern albums (from basically Rheingold onwards) have all been very consistently "okay but not very memorable". I don't expect that to change, but damn them for referencing my favorite album of theirs in order to make me slightly interested this time around.

Paka01
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:49 pm 

thrashinbatman wrote:
Paka01 wrote:
It would be great to see Andreas Marschall do more covers.

Fixed. :-P I love Marschall's work.

Amen to that :D

MyMorningSong
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:02 pm 

I heard tunes of war as a teen and remember disliking the sing-song approach. No doubt this is a mistake that I should rectify!

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:37 pm 

MyMorningSong wrote:
I heard tunes of war as a teen and remember disliking the sing-song approach. No doubt this is a mistake that I should rectify!

That's not even the best album from that era, hell arguably the worst, but it still rules.

Xlxlx
May contain traces of nuts

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:58 pm 

More Grave Digger is always welcome. These guys can do no wrong in my book.

KolmeNoitaa wrote:
(...) microwaves are your best friends. You'll learn to cook anything and everything by nuking it.

Ericfg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:52 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
Wait, the reaper already made a comeback in 1993. C'mon, guys.

Yeah, that threw me for a loop briefly. But Chris Boltendahl, the creative force behind the band, does have a history of re-hashing old themes, for better or for worse. Being a fanboi I look forward to this and anticipate some high quality German heavy metal.
I do like this quote from the press release: "Vocalist and mastermind Chris Boltendahl revealed that the album will have a strong focus back to the all time classic albums of Heavy Metal Breakdown (1984), Witch Hunter (1985) and The Reaper (1993). " Three strong albums, those. If he can recreate half of that style I'll be a happy camper.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:54 am 

Well if they talk about this album like The Reaper they better have at least 60% Jörg Michael-like double bass crushers, haha

kluseba
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:47 am 

It looks as if the band wanted to turn back the clock. The album title, the cover and the interview parts make me think that the upcoming record will sound pretty unoriginal and old-fashioned. I don't like that. I really liked the band's more experimental works like "Heart Of Darkness", "Rheingold", "The Last Supper", "Liberty Or Death" and "Clash Of The Gods". But most people I know only care for old school Teutonic metal and don't stop jabbering about how great "The Reaper" was or share their childhood memories and how they banged their heads to "Heavy Metal Breakdown". These people are still living on the past somehow and I thought Grave Digger would simply go forward and don't give a damn but they sadly changed their mind. After the solid but at the same time unnecessary return to "Tunes of War" in "The Clans Will Rise Again", the return to "The Reaper" with "Return Of The Reaper" feels even a lot sillier in its attempt to appease the closed-minded old school fans.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:51 am 

If they want to release a "back to the roots again" album, okay. It's not like they ever strayed that far from them (alright, let's not talk about Digger). But I expect an old school sound, too! By the way, how many bands want to use that Abigail style Gothic artwork?

Let's Trade in the Darkness of Hell! - updated for 2014!

bjornobomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:51 am 

the devil plays more piano

Metal_Jaw
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:25 pm 

Here's the tracklist I found on the band's Facebook page:

1.) Return of the Reaper.

2.) Hell Funeral.

3.) War God.

4.) Tattooed Rider.

5.) Resurrection Day.

6.) Seaon of the Witch.

7.) Road Rage Killer.

8.) Dia de los Muertos.

9.) Satan's Host.

10.) Grave Descecrator.

11.) Death Smiles At All of Us.

12.) Nothing To Believe.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:01 pm 

I really hope 6 is a Donovan cover.

Other news; I have loved this band for years - will undoubtedly pick it up.

Pig Of Doom
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:27 am 

Cool album cover. I'm looking forward to hearing the record. Although I think the last three records (Ballads Of A Hangman, The Clans Will Rise Again, Clash Of The Gods) are very good, a stylistic change may be a fresh breath of air. I wish the record would sound somewhat like Heart Of Darkness, that's a great album in my opinion

As you probably know, those three records mentioned as the style of the new album (Heavy Metal Breakdown, Witch Hunter, The Reaper) sound more like standard heavy metal and speed metal than the usual teutonic power metal grave digger puts out nowadays. That old style mixed with Chris Boltendahls darker vocal approach might be a good combination. I like his high pitched voiced pretty much, but his darker voice found on Heart Of Darkness (appearing in between screaming on the Reaper) and every album since than is much better in my opinion. And by listening to every album since the Reaper, where his darker vocal approach started to appear in places mixed in with the high pitched vocals of the 80's GD albums, I notice that he's singing in his darker vocal style almost all the time. On the last three albums I can only think of one moment where a scream is to be found, in The Ballads Of A Hangman.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:04 am 

Simple and "kick ass" song titles!!! Looks promising. Let's see how it turns out!

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:27 am 

Heart of Darkness is an interesting album to bring up. The way I see it, as long as Boltendahl has another decent lyrical theme/scope to play around with, the rest will fall into place nicely on it's own. Ritt has already proven himself to be far superior to Schmidt's post-Rheingold output, so there is little chance for things to stagnate like they did on Liberty or Death. The throwback idea is an interesting one, but I hope the band doesn't feel the need to intentionally simplify/dumb down the music in an attempt at giving the new album a unique identity (probably more difficult a task than we imagine, to be fair).

Pig Of Doom
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:20 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
Heart of Darkness is an interesting album to bring up. The way I see it, as long as Boltendahl has another decent lyrical theme/scope to play around with, the rest will fall into place nicely on it's own. Ritt has already proven himself to be far superior to Schmidt's post-Rheingold output, so there is little chance for things to stagnate like they did on Liberty or Death. The throwback idea is an interesting one, but I hope the band doesn't feel the need to intentionally simplify/dumb down the music in an attempt at giving the new album a unique identity (probably more difficult a task than we imagine, to be fair).

Yes, you are probably right about the album falling in nicely on it's own, as long as the lyrics aren't rewrites off songs like Keep On Rocking, Let Your Heads Roll or We wanna Rock You. But I doubt Chris would write such lyrics nowadays. Modern Grave Digger albums tend to contain great lyrics in my opinion.

I totally agree about the The Last Supper and especially Liberty Or Death being subpar compared to Grave Digger standards. Those albums have a few excellent tracks, but most of it was bland. However I found the last album Manni did (Ballads Of A Hangman) to be better with many excellent fast songs. The album also sounds more like the albums of the 90's with Uli on guitar, which I really likes. But the two albums with Ritt are great I think, especially Clash Of The Gods. Way better than Liberty Or death.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:57 am 

Really? I have trouble ranking their albums in any meaningful way, but Liberty or Death springs to mind as a favourite. At least the title track is about as epic as Grave Digger gets.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

FantomLord17
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:42 pm 

Liberty Or Death was a great change of pace for the band, though I suppose that in context (that is, releasing a mid-paced album after the somewhat disjointed The Last Supper) it gave a bad impression. The Terrible One is one of the greatest classic Digger songs they have done, and Massada one of their better ballads. Ballads of a Hangman was much duller, IMO, but they've been on a roll after that one.

I'm interested in how this one will turn out. As Diamhea pointed, it seems that Digger albums work much better when Chris has an interesting topic or concept to base the album, and helps to give each album a necessary identity. It seems to be one of the reasons why their albums from Heart of Darkness to Rheingold and Clash of the Gods were so well received. They feel much more inspired and energetic. A"throwback" concept could be very interesting for the band, or might make them lose the wind they caught with Clash of the Gods.

Silmaeth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:56 am 

I love Grave Digger and I really look forward to this :)
I will be getting the album in advance from Napalm Records and maybe even doing an interview with the band, if you guys are interested I could let you all know whenever I have heard the album or interviewed the guys :)

Love the cover art!

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:20 am 

For those it concerns, here is the track listing:

1. Return of the Reaper
2. Hell Funeral
3. War God
4. Tattooed Rider
5. Resurrection Day
6. Season of the Witch
7. Road Rage Killer
8. Dia de los Muertos
9. Satan's Host
10. Grave Desecrator
11. Death Smiles at All of Us
12. Nothing to Believe

TheNiceNightmare
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:24 am 

The tracklisting feels a bit like I'd imagine they want the album to as well - not quite a throwback, but not quite completely original, fresh, modern Grave Digger either. I guess that's...promising?

Ericfg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:39 am 

Silmaeth wrote:
I love Grave Digger and I really look forward to this :)
I will be getting the album in advance from Napalm Records and maybe even doing an interview with the band, if you guys are interested I could let you all know whenever I have heard the album or interviewed the guys :)

Yes, please!

Pig Of Doom
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:34 pm 

I've listened to several GD albums again, including The Clans Will Rise Again and Clash Of The Gods. I have to say that they were both excellent and I hope Return Of The Reaper won't stray too far from them. About that throwback to the 80's albums:

I've read several interviews with Chris (Boltendahl) and he things that GD always plays 80's metal. For example, he claimed Liberty Or Death is an 80's sounding album, which is partially true. What gives me hope in the new album is that every album since The Reaper truly sounds like GD in my opinion. The throwback to the three first albums is hopefully not going to make the new album sound very much unlike the last ones.

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 11:13 am 

New song from the upcoming album

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 11:19 am 

Pretty goddamn metal. I like their faster stuff, but that was fun. Looking forward to it!

Ericfg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 11:26 am 

That's heavy! :)

Metal_Jaw
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 12:10 pm 

I dig the new song; a really nice combo of atmosphere and balls out heaviness. Kind of a modernized take on something that may have fit on "Hearts of Darkness".

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next