* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
jdmunyon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:51 pm 

From Century Media Records's Facebook page:

Quote:
British Grindcore legends Napalm Death are all set to release their 15th studio album entitled "Apex Predator - Easy Meat" on January 26th in Europe and January 27th in North America!

Check out what Barney has to say about the album title and concept:

"Sometimes you have to ponder long and hard for an album title, but following the Rana Plaza disaster of last year (collapse of a textile sweatshop building in Bangladesh), it spurred me on to try and craft an expose slave labour in the modern world (and the surrounding conditions propping it up).

Some in power like to declare that slavery is consigned to the history books. But if you look beneath the surface it is alive and well in many different forms - it just has a different face now, and exists in ways that may seem ethically ambiguous. Using the terminology of evolution particularly interests us, so in this case the 'Apex Predator' represents those who bring the slavery to bear (and capitalise from it), and the 'Easy Meat' is of therefore those who feel they have no option but to comply.

Fittingly, the music on 'Apex Predator - Easy Meat' is punishing. We feel it's more ambient, more expansive, more unsettlingly discordant than ever, and importantly, still extremely rampant at excessive speed. We hope in every respect - both musically and lyrically - this album will make your eyes burn with the harsh sonics and harsh visions of the dumping ground of globalisation."

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:25 pm 

More Napalm is what this world needs. Can't wait for this!
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

StainedClass95
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:34 pm 

I'll be very interested to hear this. Utilitarian was good from just a few years ago, so I think they can come up with something fine. Short of them wasting too much effort on the concept, this ought to be worth more than a single listen.

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:06 pm 

I'm game! :nods:

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:52 pm 

I can't think of too many bands whose greatest accomplishments have come so late in their career. The best era of Napalm Death in my opinion has been the last 4 or 5 albums. Utilitarian was a consistent and excellent record, and considering the streak these guys have been on, I expect "Apex Predator - Easy Meat" will be just as good. Also, "more ambient, more expansive" sounds like a good thing to me. One of their most expansive and most ambient tracks, "No Impediment to Triumph", happens to be one of my favorites. A record in a similar style would be too good to be true.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:00 pm 

More ambient and expansive is exactly the direction I would loved to hear them go in. I think of Smear Campaign's title track. Mick's got that shit down. Apex Predator sounds like a good title but "easy meat" sounds a little to blunt for a title of an album that's supposed to be expansive.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

CorpseFister
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:29 pm 

I don't really get how a term like ambient applies to Napalm Death. Expansive I understand, being more than just balls out top-speed grinding. Though what that describes varies wildly, just comparing the mid-paced pounding and reverby vocals of Smear Campaign to the driving, but lighter and melodious sections in No Impediment to Triumph.

Quibbling aside, I look forward to hearing this!

banishedtolive420
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:18 am 

Going to disagree with everyone here. Consider me primitive but I would love to hear this band just put out some straight forward riffs, no frills songs. That's what they were born on and whenever they wrap it up I hope it's what they die on.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:29 am 

That's a super awkward sounding album title even allowing for the explanation behind it, but more Napalm Death can't be a bad thing. Time Waits for No Slave is still my favourite from their recent output. From their whole output, to be honest.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:00 am 

If that ambient & expansive means more songs like Morale, Smear Campaign, Fall on Their Swords and Blank Look About Face, well then fuck yes!
Their 00´s albums have been so long, they need at least a little bit of that atmospheric side.

druivo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:51 am 

The world can never have enough Napalm Death records. And from the description, it loooks like it´s gonna be killer.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:59 am 

Lost interest in the band from 'The Code is Red...'.

Too hardcore for me.

"You make it easy."

televiper11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:25 am 

I'm really confused by the excitement over N.D.'s most recent recordings. Am I alone in thinking that Barney's voice has lost almost all of its power? Compare his delivery on any song off Utilitarian to a song from Utopia Banished -- its night and day in terms of power, depth, and articulation.

Last edited by televiper11 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the_raytownian
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:42 am 

For just a brief moment, I get excited every time I hear about a new ND record, but I haven't even checked out a single new song since I bought Smear Campagin and remembered why ND don't interest me at all after Harmony Corruption.

I remember thinking "The Code..." was very good at the time of its release, but I cannot even tell you the last time I heard it. Probably since before SC came out. I didn't bother with them afterwards. It's just not what I'm into, though, which I understand perfectly well. I can listen to all of ND's later output if someone puts it on, but it's merely inoffensive, not engaging. At worst, some of it (namely their mid 90's - early 2000's output) is very boring, not to mention poorly aged.

tomcat_ha
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:56 am 

I really liked the last couple ND albums. As theyve gotten a bit more experimental and shed some metal elements the quality has been going up with the last one being the best so far. Its interesting how they are kind of going back towards a Swans influenced sound when their most Swans like records were made before anyone in the band currently was in it. I saw them perform one new track landlord slumlord or something on roadburn and it was total swans.

joppek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:51 pm 

tomcat_ha wrote:
As theyve gotten a bit more experimental and shed some metal elements

huh? i thought utilitarian was like very much death metal oriented, as opposed to their punkier past

tomcat_ha
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:19 pm 

Uh compare it with the stuff they did in the 90's. Its overflowing with various hardcore elements.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:21 am 

I think nowdays Napalm Death is much more punk/hardcore (yet in another form) than in the early days.

Unoffensive effort.

"You make it easy."

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:18 am 

Harmony Corruption is still their best effort :P That said I thoroughly enjoyed seeing them live a few years ago, despite not knowing most of the newer material.

French Toast
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:25 am 

I greatly prefer what they're doing right now to stuff like Harmony Corruption and Utopia Banished. Heck if I'm honest I'd even consider those two low points of the band's discography, I even prefer the interesting (albeit often misguided) experimentation during the mid-90s to them.

I mean I like those albums sure, but they're like the last place I go to when I'm wanting to hear some ND.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:41 am 

StainedClass95 wrote:
I'll be very interested to hear this. Utilitarian was good from just a few years ago, so I think they can come up with something fine. Short of them wasting too much effort on the concept, this ought to be worth more than a single listen.

Gee, I wish this band I like would put in less effort.

Let's Trade in the Darkness of Hell! - updated for 2014!

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:57 pm 

The Lions Den wrote:
I think nowdays Napalm Death is much more punk/hardcore (yet in another form) than in the early days.

Unoffensive effort.

:lol: Yeah, these overproduced ProTools albums are PVNK AS FVCK.

StainedClass95
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:58 pm 

Acrobat wrote:

Gee, I wish this band I like would put in less effort.

I want them to put in plenty of effort but more on the music and less on the concept. I don't really care one way or another about their lyrics and concept albums can get overblown pretty easily.

French Toast wrote:
I greatly prefer what they're doing right now to stuff like Harmony Corruption and Utopia Banished. Heck if I'm honest I'd even consider those two low points of the band's discography, I even prefer the interesting (albeit often misguided) experimentation during the mid-90s to them.

What do you not like about Harmony Corruption?

the_raytownian
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:03 pm 

^ I normally hate people whining about production values, especially "vintage" productions. I know you didn't ask me personally, but if I am going to be critical of production, I think a lot of people agree that the guitars are really "boomy" and sound awfully quiet in the mix... the whole mix on HC sounds rather boomy and muffled, really.

Still a good album, but I like the pre-HC material even better!

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:44 pm 

I've love to hear something closer to Utilitarian, it's definitely my favorite from them. Not a fan of their early stuff and their mid stuff is ok for me.

French Toast
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:29 pm 

StainedClass95 wrote:
French Toast wrote:

What do you not like about Harmony Corruption?

It's a bit too heavy on the death metal elements, in a nutshell. Luckily they would pull back on that later, and better integrate those elements into their overall sound. Not that I dislike death metal, I just don't particularly like the way Napalm does death metal. IIRC, this was a common criticism when the album first came out.

Then there would be the production, as mentioned. I don't really have a problem with 'clean' productions, but the Scott Burns sound feels inappropriate for Napalm, particularly in that time period. Granted I'm not a HUGE fan of the Scott Burns sound to begin with.

It's not a bad album by any means, and really I don't even dislike it that much, but overall? I greatly prefer the pre-HC material and what they're doing right now to what they were doing in the HC era.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:59 pm 

The Code Is Red... Long Live the Code and Smear Campaign are both fucking excellent. I've listened to them so much since they came out. Time Waits for No Slave is almost as good but I kind of lost interest in them after that even if I have Utilitarian. I like my Napalm Death catchy and it seems they are kinda straying away from that sound.

That being said I look forward to give the new record a spin.

Edit: This is what I'm talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mId3fkyWHmw

One of the best fucking metal songs from the 2000:s.

gcb1000
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:53 pm 

Napalm have ruled again since "Enemy of the Music Business" - Smear Campaign would have to be my favourite but they've all been solid and I do not expect to be disappointed.

jdmunyon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:51 pm 

So Napalm has unveiled a new song, "Cesspits": http://www.decibelmagazine.com/?s=napalm+death&x=0&y=0#

As no surprise, it sounds just like modern Napalm. Not much else to say about it yet, it'll take several listens to get a strong opinion in either direction. Perhaps a tad more "dissonant" as they're describing the upcoming album to be, though.

volutetheswarth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:05 am 

jdmunyon wrote:
So Napalm has unveiled a new song, "Cesspits": http://www.decibelmagazine.com/?s=napalm+death&x=0&y=0#
Am liking this a lot. Especially from the halfway mark and on, the grind gets absolutely right killer there. In grind we thrust.

Rykov
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:04 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
In grind we thrust.

I thought it was 'in grind we crust'? :-P

As to the song itself... I have to admit, at first listen, I'm not really into it. It doesn't even really hold up to the weaker tracks on Utilitarian-- doesn't really have any riffs that grab me right from the get-go, nor does it boast a particular unexpected element that grabs my attention (for example, John Zorn's spontaneous saxophone abuse on Utilitarian's Everyday Pox). It just kinda... happened for three and a half minutes, and then stopped happening. I'll give it a few more listens just to see how it grows on me, but the initial impression wasn't very strong.
I said, I just want to know you and then disappear.
you said, knowing me does not mean dying.

My (ever-shifting, constantly developing) top 100 album list

televiper11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:58 am 

That new track is aptly named, its horrible! What happened to Napalm Death? Barney's voice sounds terrible: dry, raspy, powerless (and its been that way for awhile now). And while I can always get behind some nice smash-and-grab grind, the riffs here are pretty tired and they keep using the same boxy production. This is what, their eighth album with Russ Russell? Try a different producer, please. ND may have once been my all-time favorite band but they have been on a bad slide since Smear Campaign. Maybe the rest of the record will win me over but I kinda doubt it.

Reply to topic