Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:41 pm 

So yeah, they finished recording a month or two ago, and now the album title and tracklisting have been revealed. Album title is, as has been the trend for the past couple releases, a made up word that I'm not sure of the meaning of yet... But it sounds cool, lol. The titles are honestly just getting weirder and weirder, and these ones kiiiiiind of have me worried they're gonna make a foray into modern visual kei buttrock. But who knows, maybe they'll surprise me and it'll just be more of their usual solid weird metal fare? Regardless, here's the tracklisting:

1. Gordian Knot
2. 羯諦 (Kettei (its a buddhist sutra))
3. 渦巻く太陽 (Uzumaku Taiyou; "Swirling Sun")
4. fullcolor answer
5. 直撃 (Chokugeki; "Direct Hit")
6. 満開オラショ (Mankai Oratio, "Full Bloom Oratio")
7. 翼の記憶 (Tsubasa no Kioku; "Memory of Wings")
8. tiny song
9. 厭離穢土 (Enriedo; "The Abhorrence of Living in This Impure World" (its a buddhist thing))
10. S.W.POWER
11. 涙の価値 (Namida no Kachi; "The Value of Tears")

Their new getups for this release have been revealed as well; they're... Interesting, to say the least, though unmercifully lacking in traditional folk dress. The album cover, though I cant see it too well yet because its just a thumbnail on their website, is also kiiiiinda derp looking. It appears to be a skull made of butterflies. All in all, either this will be an improvement on Kijuu's (admittedly solid) level of quality, or it's going to be a clusterfuck. Let's see what we get, hm?

A neat tidbit of info is that this album WILL see the return of female vocals, though! So that's something to look forward to.

UPDATE: IT'S OUT! And more importantly, IT'S AWESOME!

Spoiler: show

The website, for those who like to look at pretty pictures and moon runes: http://firstcell.net/gargoyle

Last edited by Crick on Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:26 am, edited 10 times in total.
Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:19 pm 

I'm definitely excited for this one. I have yet to get the later half of their discography (from Wa and onwards), but I should have everything before this comes out. Knowing these guys, the only thing you can expect is that you don't know what to expect.

Crick

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:23 pm 

Dudemanguy wrote:
Knowing these guys, the only thing you can expect is that you don't know what to expect.

I will give you that much, lol. The most I was able to do with Kijuu was predict that Kerberos would be a thrash song. These titles and aesthetics tell me nothing, I swear!

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:34 am 

Gargoyle is one of those bands that is so hit and miss with me that I have to give every album a try every time, just in case it's a good one. Kemonomichi and Bushin were good, Yaiba awful, Ronpuu ok. Kuromitten remains my favorite.

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:58 pm 

Gargoyle? Hit and miss? Certainly, their particular brand of thrash would be hit or miss in general, but across albums? That's a rather bizarre criticism for me. Personally, this is one of the most consistent bands that I've ever come across, in terms of just quality. Their writing style is quite diverse, but there is just a particular, unmistakable "Gargoyle" way of writing riffs that no other band does and gives them a pretty recognizable sound. Not many other bands could write so much good material at their rate for decades.

Admittedly, I have not heard all of the albums you listed, but I have most of the bands material at this point. (10/16 albums and 3/4 EPs). I find Kemonomichi, Bushin and Ronpuu to all be quite good with Kemonomichi probably being my favourite out of just those three. I haven't heard any of the other ones you mentioned (yet). I do have some stuff sitting on backorder though, so hopefully that'll get to me soon.

But for the rest of their discography? I find them all, at the very least, to be quite good, and some albums would have my undying praise. :lol: My gut feeling is that I'll probably like the albums with Yotaro and Kentaro on them the best, but I'm not really familiar with "modern" Gargoyle, so I couldn't really say for sure. Right now, the albums I favor the most would be Tsuki no Toge and Gaia with Aratama and Future Drug taking second. I'd really love for one of the ones that I'm missing to move to the top of that list though.

Crick

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:36 am 

GTog wrote:
Gargoyle is one of those bands that is so hit and miss with me that I have to give every album a try every time, just in case it's a good one. Kemonomichi and Bushin were good, Yaiba awful, Ronpuu ok. Kuromitten remains my favorite.

Welcome to being wrong town, population you.

Jonpo
Hypercolombowler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:42 am 

Psyche, it's a very crowded town.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:46 pm 

Gargoyle undeniably has a distinct sound, don't get me wrong. It just isn't always good.

Minor correction - Kisho was the one I thought was awful, not Yaiba. Yaiba ain't bad. I've heard quite a lot of Gargoyle, but I can't pin down what it is about some albums that I don't like. It's not an early/late split - I like Kaikoroku but not Aratama. I like Kijuu but not Kisho. It's not the musicians, because the lineup has been ridiculously stable, except Shiija, and I like stuff with and without him anyway. Just one of those things.

BastardHead
Magic Mike

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:54 pm 

Kisho is the best* Moderngoyle album :annoyed:

Anyway, I'm pretty obviously excited. Even if it sucks I'm sure it'll have at least one really good song, every album so far does. KE-RU! BE-ROS!

*- Kemonomichi and Yaiba fight for the title sometimes, but Kisho always wins for me.

Crick

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:50 pm 

GOOD GOD. SO I GOT THE ALBUM IN THE MAIL TODAY AND GOOD GOD.

HOLY SHIT.

GOD DAMN. You know people who don't really care for Gargoyle albums because they're like "Ehhhh, I wish it was just ripping metal all the way through."

THEY DID IT.

You know those people who are like, "I miss Gargoyle's really long, flashy solos."

THEY DID IT.

YOU KNOW WHEN I WISHED THE VIOLINS WOULD COME BACK AND THOUGHT IT WAS NEVER GONNA HAPPEN WELL THEY DID IT

I'm so happy right now. Everyone get this fucking album. Gargoyle besto bando ebaru. Moshi moshi jesus desu.

Speaking seriously though, this is undoubtedly the most relentless Gargoyle album. Tsuki no Toge has songs that equal this in terms of rippingness, but this whole ALBUM rips. In a way, I miss the dynamics of having a wide variety of songs. But on the other hand, ALL OF THESE RIFFS BEAT MY ASS. The only glaring flaw with the record is that it's been louded super hard, and clips constantly. But fuck it, the riffs, the RIFFS are EVERYWHERE. The SOLOS are EVERYWHERE.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:14 pm 

*sees Crick's post* DOWNLOAD FASTER DAMMIT

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:22 pm 

Of course, my order has to be tied up by backorder. :fuck:

Hopefully, it'll ship sometime in 1-2 weeks.

Crick

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:44 pm 

That's a real shame. You could always ask around in the right places, y'know. ;) ;) ;)

KETTEI KETTEI. KETTEI KETTEI. KETTEI KETTEI! KETTEI KETTEI!!!!
RAWRAGH!!

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:58 pm 

I've already mentally committed myself to the wait. Hopefully I won't be an old man when it's over.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:36 pm 

Crick wrote:
GOOD GOD. SO I GOT THE ALBUM IN THE MAIL TODAY AND GOOD GOD.

HOLY SHIT.

GOD DAMN. You know people who don't really care for Gargoyle albums because they're like "Ehhhh, I wish it was just ripping metal all the way through."

THEY DID IT.

You know those people who are like, "I miss Gargoyle's really long, flashy solos."

THEY DID IT.

YOU KNOW WHEN I WISHED THE VIOLINS WOULD COME BACK AND THOUGHT IT WAS NEVER GONNA HAPPEN WELL THEY DID IT

I'm so happy right now. Everyone get this fucking album. Gargoyle besto bando ebaru. Moshi moshi jesus desu.

Speaking seriously though, this is undoubtedly the most relentless Gargoyle album. Tsuki no Toge has songs that equal this in terms of rippingness, but this whole ALBUM rips. In a way, I miss the dynamics of having a wide variety of songs. But on the other hand, ALL OF THESE RIFFS BEAT MY ASS. The only glaring flaw with the record is that it's been louded super hard, and clips constantly. But fuck it, the riffs, the RIFFS are EVERYWHERE. The SOLOS are EVERYWHERE.

You sold me at "GOOD GOD. SO I GOT THE ALBUM IN THE MAI-". Where's mines?
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Reply to topic