Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
tomcat_ha
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:47 am 

Surprised nobody made a thread for it so far

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ma ... rse/477638

really neat album art.
I hope it will be a step up because everything since Voyager is merely decent.

Jonpo
Hypercolombowler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:19 pm 

Yeah man. I kind of wish Mark would slow down a little. I know that he has to strike while the iron is hot, and from a commercial sense, I doubt the Manilla Road forge has ever burned hotter. It's astounding that he can turn albums out so quickly and still have the depth of songs like Asshurbanipal and The Fountain. Truthfully I was just starting to properly digest Playground of the Damned when Mysterium came out. So there's a decent chance that I'll rediscover a lot of these new albums down the road and find that they're better than I thought originally. It takes me longer to digest his albums than it takes him to write/record/mix them, basically.

I wish he'd slow down and churn out one last masterpiece. Voyager was 99/100. Spiral Castle was 100/100 for me.

ScandalfTheShite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:55 pm 

Gates of Fire is the last one I've gotten from them. It's a good album but I don't listen to it much. I usually go for something easier to digest. Good that the band is still going strong though. All their stuff until The Courts of Chaos very strong.

Jonpo
Hypercolombowler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:56 pm 

You didn't like Courts?? One of my favorite albums of theirs. I think it's way stronger than some of the thrashier albums that came before it. Truth be told if I could only save The Deluge or Courts from a fire I'd grab Courts every time. They got really weird on that one and I adore it.

ScandalfTheShite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:01 pm 

The Courts very much included! The title-track is still one of my favourites. The only thing I don't like about it are the drums. But it's a minor fault...

MARSDUDE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:36 pm 

Should be great. Not sure what the hell all this 'double-CD' business is, though. I saw the songs for it... Are they live, acoustic—what's the deal? I guess we'll find out. I did read that the label are keen on Mark's acoustic side-project as well, and, of course, there's going to be a new Hellwell album coming, too.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:58 pm 

I preferred Playground to the bloated-ness of Voyager. Haven't got around to Mysterium yet save for a couple youtubes. Anyway, will probably check this out lol.

Samoroth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:03 pm 

I have only listened to their 80s output. Is anything they've put out after the 80s worth listening?

MARSDUDE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:04 pm 

Everything, man. No joke.

Samoroth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:05 pm 

MARSDUDE wrote:
Everything, man. No joke.

What is your personal favorite post-80s?

MARSDUDE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:08 pm 

I might have to say 'Playground Of The Damned', but it's a tough pick. If you include the Hellwell album (very similar to Manilla Road's 'The Courts Of Chaos', IMO), then I might pick that one instead.

Samoroth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:13 pm 

Thanks, I'll give it a listen. So far my favorite is 'Open the Gates'.

tomcat_ha
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:12 pm 

Voyager is my favorite post 80's album.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:42 am 

My vote goes to Spiral Castle. The production's rough, but those heavier songs hit you like solid pillars of cement. The title track shows why their brand of heavy metal is dubbed "epic." Massive riffs and dazzling vocal melodies in that one. I love the death metal vocals sprinkled throughout the album, too. Merchants of Death may as well be a blue print for how to write a 10 minute song. Sands of Time shouldn't work as the lengthy closer that it is, but it does. After all those heavy, dense songs, it helps me zone out and collect myself.

About them slowing down... If we ended up getting another album of Spiral Castle's quality, I'd be all for it. I'm just afraid of Manilla Road slowing down and being physically incapable of recording new albums. Mark Shelton's not getting any younger. Who knows, though, maybe he'll surprise us and keep a steady output of material for years to come. That said, I still liked the past couple (Playground more so than Mysterium) and I'm eagerly anticipating The Blessed Curse. I like the song titles and artwork, for a start.

Incalus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:53 pm 

Preview:

http://www.amazon.de/Blessed-Curse-Afte ... nilla+road

Killer!

The Animator
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:18 am 

Its difficult to judge tracks by a brief preview, but I'm getting a 'Mystification' vibe from a lot of it. "All Hallows Eve" sounds interesting.

Spoiler: show

bug_man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:34 am 

their last one was pretty forgettable. this one might be better but i'm not really expecting it to be particularly good

tomcat_ha
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:32 pm 

previews remind me a bit to both voyager and late 80s MR.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:36 pm 

There's something interesting going on at the beginning with The Blessed Curse and Tomes of Clay (which brings Sands of Time to mind). The rest of the tracks sound in the vein of Mysterium, but better, I think. Kings of Invention in particular sounds cool, and I'm a sucker for acoustic songs with Mark Shelton singing, so I can tell I'm going to like Falling. It sounds like he's in the background of The Muses Kiss as well. Also, this is one of those rare cases where I'm looking forward to the bonus disc. My appetite's been whetted!

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:01 am 

The tracks they've played live recently sounded like a mix of Mystification and their recent two or three albums.

PvtNinjer
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:57 pm 

Hoping it's a bit better than Mysterium. While not a bad album, I didn't find it particularly memorable or catchy save for a couple tracks. Those previews sounded nice, though!

MARSDUDE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:05 pm 

I'm just hoping for more variety to the riffs. Mysterium had a lot of similar-sounding riffs, all based around the same progression.

PvtNinjer
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:14 pm 

MARSDUDE wrote:
I'm just hoping for more variety to the riffs. Mysterium had a lot of similar-sounding riffs, all based around the same progression.

It did and, to make it worse, the delivery of the lyrics and melody where all pretty generic, almost like they just performed what came to them first without trying to jazz the vocal lines up or do something interesting with them. It just felt overall lazy to me. There was some good tunes on there and the cover art was fucking amazing, but I wouldn't call it a standout album. The best song was probably The Fountain, and when the most memorable track on your heavy metal album is the little acoustic diddy, something's gone wrong. The songs they played live sounded pretty badass, but they really do have a great stage presence, so that really helped get into the energy and feeling of the song. Something about the album version prevented that for the most part.

MARSDUDE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:58 am 

So anyone have any idea what 'After The Muse' (the second disc) is? I see an assortment of stuff, including old rehearsals.

And, on another note, can this be ordered from North America? All I see are pretty expensive European sellers. Not gonna lie, I'm not a huge fan of MR seeming to be more focused on the Euro (German) market.

Terri23
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:07 am 

Mysterium is the only album I find to have very little replay value. Voyager and Playground are as good as anything else the band ever put out. I don't agree with this criticism that Shelton need to "slow down". In the bands creative peak they were churning out records every couple of years, and now it's no different. This should be another quality Road release.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

MARSDUDE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:19 am 

I love them all, really, even if I may bitch about the similar-sounding riffs on Mysterium. And I'm glad Shelton is going at the pace he's going. Throw Hellwell into the mix, too—loved the first album and can't wait for number two. Think I read it's supposed to come out this year as well? Or maybe it was lined up for next year...

tomcat_ha
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:17 am 

i liked the hellwell album a bit more than mysterium and playground

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:39 am 

Really like Mysterium myself. The slow songs all rule, especially "The Fountain" and "Battle of Bonchester Bridge". And the title track is definitely one of the best songs since the band reformed. But yeah, no reason the band can't go upward from there...
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

MARSDUDE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:48 am 

Google Translated a German forum that Neudi was posting in. Based off the piss-poor translation, I believe that the second disc—'After The Muse'—may be sort of a teaser for Mark Shelton's upcoming acoustic project.

Robustus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:58 am 

I thought this band peaked with Mystification, but then I heard Spiral Castle and Gates of Fire. Both albums are magnificent!

Basically MR seemed to nosedive into average territory during the 1990s IMO, then came back with a bang. Their latest albums have been okay (I preferred Playground over Mystification), and I agree with one of the above commenters that perhaps the band ought to take their foot off the pedal and take time with recordings. I guess from a commercial standpoint, what with the heavy metal resurgence and as we know given how quickly trends change, they must see their best option as getting as much material out there as possible right now.

The Animator
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:30 am 

Abominatrix wrote:
Really like Mysterium myself. The slow songs all rule, especially "The Fountain" and "Battle of Bonchester Bridge". And the title track is definitely one of the best songs since the band reformed. But yeah, no reason the band can't go upward from there...

I think you're the first person I've seen around here mention "The Battle of Bonchester Bridge", thats one of my favorite Manilla Road tracks, I own all their albums up to the "The Courts of Chaos" (haven't picked up the rest yet).

Currently my top 10 favorite Manilla Road songs are probably:
1.The Veils of Negative Existence
2.The Fires of Mars
3.Metalström
4.Enter the Warrior
5.Necropolis
6.The Battle of Bonchester Bridge
7.Queen of the Black Coast
8.The Riddle Master
9.Metal
10.Death by the Hammer

Overall I thought "Mysterium" was a really good album, it had a few tracks that weren't that good, but all of their classic albums have a few tracks I really dont like.

MARSDUDE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:35 am 

For any North Americans who are looking to preorder—or, following the release, pick up—the new album, the best place I've found seems to be Amazon. It's still pretty expensive, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper than ordering from Europe and paying outrageous shipping fees. Here's a link.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Blessed-Curse ... B00QJH5OXQ

Jonpo
Hypercolombowler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:18 am 

Will SKR not be carrying it for some reason?

MARSDUDE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:35 am 

I think MR have signed an exclusive deal with the German label, as SKR haven't posted anything about the new album.

Jonpo
Hypercolombowler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:38 am 

I just assumed they would get some copies. I know they aren't Roads "official" label or anything. I took it for granted that I could wait on a copy from them.

MARSDUDE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:04 am 

Haven't seen anything to suggest they will be receiving copies. I suppose we will see, maybe a little closer to the release-date.

tomcat_ha
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:07 am 

I am not sure when i will be getting this. I ironically prob would have preordered already if i was not going to greece to go see them. :P

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:07 am 

The Animator wrote:
Abominatrix wrote:

I think you're the first person I've seen around here mention "The Battle of Bonchester Bridge", thats one of my favorite Manilla Road tracks, I own all their albums up to the "The Courts of Chaos" (haven't picked up the rest yet).
I think failsafeman said it's one of his favourite Manilla Road songs. I'm not that much into it - in my opinion the best modern Road song is Art of War. That one is in their top 5.

Reply to topic