Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Viral
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:55 pm 

I came across this article bashing MA for banning the infamous troll reviewer bitterman, who was more or less a disciple of the site Death Metal Underground (DMU).

Those who are not familiar with DMU should know their presence on the net is much older than what is indicated on their homepage. It's basically the successor to an even older site called ANUS (American Nihilist Underground Society), which boasts itself as the net's oldest page dedicated to underground death/black metal. Oddly enough, they were more well-known for their articles on philosophy and societal decay. The site was run by the infamous Vijay Prozak, who recently switched aliases and is now known as Brett Stevens (DMU's primary contributor). Prozak felt it necessary to seperate his philosophical/political writings from those about metal and created DMU. From the beginning, Prozak/Stevens promoted his idea of what metal is and what it should represent. He would disseminate these ideas via articles and trolling other metal sites (I believe he did so here as well many years ago under various accounts).

DMU's central contention, which is essentially ANUS', is that metal in the last 20 years has taken a massive nosedive in terms of circumventing increasing commercialization, branching out into various subgenres they feel have very little to with metal in terms of ideology, and embracing newcomers (hipsters) who are attempting to hijack and co-opt the genre. Since the end of 2014, they've been writing an endless stream of articles on a phenomenon in the community called #Metalgate, which is some online movement in the vein of Gamergate, but about repelling an alleged SJW takeover of metal, who seek to make it more tolerant. Even before the movement, almost every other article they released pertains to the status of metal and its decline.

DMU, along with the NWN! forum, appear to be one of the few places left that harbour an explicitly elitist MO and attack anything outside the traditional metal paradigm. DMU has even gone so far as to claim music is not subjective and argue its quality can be measured objectively.

Personally, I don't know where I stand exactly on this issue. On the one hand, yes, I do agree that metal in recent years has begun to parody itself by embracing gimmicks that are antithetical to what it stands for in the name of being "open-minded" and appealing to outside demographics. I think Babymetal and Dethklok are good examples of this. However, I also think innovation has always been a part of art, so long as it is natural and not contrived. When it is the latter, it tends to create polarized imperatives on what approach is best (e.g. "open-minded" hipster metal vs. throwback, retro-whatever metal).

Historically, metal has always had its dedicated fanbases that would clash with whatever style was prominent and considered metal by the mainstream (glam, nu metal, metalcore, indie metal, etc.) and arguably it is these dedicated fans that served as a vanguard against co-option and commercialization. So, would it be unfounded to say a genre is only as healthy as its fanbase?

What do you think? Does metal stagnating or being in a healthy state have as much to do with its fans and what they deem acceptable as it does the quality of the bands they listen to? Furthermore, what are your thoughts on metal elitism? Do you think it is pretentious chauvinism or a necessary vanguard?

That's not right. That's not even wrong. It's so fundamentally inaccurate that I think it may well be incorrectable.

luismilanese
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:05 pm 

Viral wrote:
What do you think? Does metal stagnating or being in a healthy state have as much to do with its fans and what they deem acceptable as it does the quality of the bands they listen to? Furthermore, what are your thoughts on metal elitism? Do you think it is pretentious chauvinism or a necessary vanguard?

Well, I have seen many radicals and elitists simply leaving metal altogether after years of being a strict metalhead. I guess it's really difficult to keep an extreme attitude. In a way, I wish I could be a poser and just not like some bands I like, I'd like to feel what do the elitists feel, even though I know they will go, and I'll remain listening to metal (and a few guilty pleasures here and there), do you know what I mean?

true_death
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:16 pm 

The website is (or rather, was) called ANUS, so it's fitting that they would spew out such shit.

Mr_TagoMago
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:20 pm 

I think music as a whole has gone to shit lately. I mean sure there are still plenty of good artists around but we aren't seeing the kind of innovations that were being done back in the 60s, 70s, and 80s.

the_raytownian
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:27 pm 

Why not keep all the basement-dwelling edgemaster ANUS and NWN politics out of this forum? I see no reason to even bring them up here. I'm not involved in those communities for a reason you know.

I mean, MA is far from perfect, but it beats circle jerking with a bunch of bitter nerds. Too many tryhards and not enough jaded assholes who just don't care about trivial bullshit. I can't really relate.

Caspian88
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:28 pm 

The article about the banning is a crock of shit, written by some whiner upset that the world doesn't revolve around his ludicrous, bigoted views and that he's not treated as some sort of important god, and so invents some mythical "social justice warriors" on which to blame all of his self-perceived failures.

It's the equivalent of a six-year-old throwing a tantrum because his parents wouldn't buy him the Batman figurine he not only clearly deserves, but which is his by right, for being such a little shit.

I see no validity in the idea that metal is somehow "tainted" or "declining."

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:33 pm 

1) bitterman was never banned. He forgot his email address or something and his account got deactivated of his own doing, but he has another one which for some reason he has not been publishing reviews under. Do you really think if M-A found his behavior so unacceptable we'd ban him and then leave his reviews there?

2) #metalgate is not now nor has ever been a thing. The original DMU troll article cited some ancient shit and tried to manufacture a #gamergate-like movement out of thin air. The fact that the OP is even mentioning that this is a real movement is the exact kind of shit that can cause something that is nothing to become something. Stop talking about it, jesus christ.

But yes, even if the ANUSites do touch upon fringes of reasonable discourse, the trollish behavior, silly claims and sillier politics and posturing are best left to their own communities and NWN! or whatever. Let's not bring that crap here, too.

GLOAMING - Debut album out now! | COMA VOID | FAUSTIAN ORBS

Zodijackyl
Lazy Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:07 pm 

Isn't the point of this trendy hashtag stuff that you post it on Twitter, Facebook, and the blogosphere?
Hi guys, I submitted my band Mercelel couple days ago and it got rejected by Zodijackyl today. After doing multiple google researches of his name around the archives, he doesn't look like the most liked person on this site so I can't trust his opinion whatsoever.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.