Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Nochielo
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:20 am
Posts: 1535
Location: Puerto Rico
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:33 am 
 

Zetan wrote:
Nochielo wrote:
Thanks for the critic. I meant to say that usually Christian fanatics are those who behave like this. When I said:"I'm willing to bet..." means that I believe this was the case. I could be wrong, but I didn't say I was sure that the guy was Christian. Sorry if I offended you, and thanks again.


No back pedaling! ;]

I will apologise however for jumping on it. Some in house fighting between myself and another team member on another board is making me a bit tetchy.. and when that happens, deal with it and maybe keep low for a while.


So, umm.. apologies to anybody else I probably snapped at last week/month.

That is alright. I know my word were kind of harsh and easy to misunderstand. It's my fault completely. I wolud like to point out that I have many Christian friends. Many of them don't support my tastes (and listening to "Blasting the Virginborn" in any car they are in) but they all respect them. It's just that it pisses me off that everyone thinks they are better than you because they do not listen to metal.

Top
 Profile  
Jreg
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:48 am
Posts: 5
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:53 am 
 

PvtNinjer wrote:
I was gonna say, as has already been hinted at, the reason why most people automatically assume you are close-minded/arrogant/elitist is that most metal heads are exactly that. Besides the e-folk here, most "metalheads" I meet are into fairly mainstream stuff, are fairly elitist and closed minded and are also the majority. Honestly, a member of one of the bigger metal groups in the city here didn't even know who Immortal where. For a better example, think of the stereotypical Slayer fan. That's what the majority of "real life" metalheads I meet are like. Knuckle dragging idiots who think the more you downtune your guitar the heavier you are. Maybe the demographic changes from place to place, but that's what alot are like around where I live. Seeing that, it's not hard to imagine a non-metalhead seeing this and making the assumption that we are all this way.


That's true, but when you consider the rest of the metalheads who don't fall into that category, it's somewhat clear why even we'd be written off as close-minded. We're more avid music fans than most people, and a greater knowledge and understanding of many types of music often appears to be a by-product of getting into music as esoteric as extreme metal---not always, but frequently. This also means that, compared to most people, many of us happen to be much more opinionated about anything regarding music. That's not a bad thing at all, but to the typical casual listener of radio hits, listening to us rant about things that often go right over the heads is likely to be dismissed as arrogant and elitist, even though it really is not.

Top
 Profile  
Nochielo
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:20 am
Posts: 1535
Location: Puerto Rico
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:36 pm 
 

Zetan wrote:
Nochielo wrote:
Thanks for the critic. I meant to say that usually Christian fanatics are those who behave like this. When I said:"I'm willing to bet..." means that I believe this was the case. I could be wrong, but I didn't say I was sure that the guy was Christian. Sorry if I offended you, and thanks again.


No back pedaling! ;]

I will apologise however for jumping on it. Some in house fighting between myself and another team member on another board is making me a bit tetchy.. and when that happens, deal with it and maybe keep low for a while.


So, umm.. apologies to anybody else I probably snapped at last week/month.

That's alright. Everyone has bad days. My first post was easy to misunderstand, I apologize as well. No hard feelings.

Top
 Profile  
wolvie90
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:24 pm
Posts: 215
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:37 pm 
 

VampireKiller wrote:
wolvie90 wrote:
Why do people keep bitching about being open minded? I'm a close minded person when it comes to music. I listen to metal, mainly death metal because it's the kind of music I like the most. It takes a great deal to appreciate that kind of music and it's nothing you fall for the first time you hear it. It just sticks to me more and more after every listen. I'm not going to compromise my playlist just for the sake of diversity.

I'm close minded and damn proud of it. Anyone have the lack of life to actually care about MY musical taste can kiss my ass.


Are we twins or something? :hail:


Haha you never know! :thumbsup:

Top
 Profile  
206
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:00 pm
Posts: 966
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:01 pm 
 

Interesting shit, this Mongolian Vocal Music

Top
 Profile  
LVB
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:26 am
Posts: 143
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:45 pm 
 

agentsteel666 wrote:
I mean, I actually go out of my way and try really hard to appreciate other forms of music. I just can't get into it, no matter how hard I try. I've been to school dances, wedding receptions, discos, nightclubs......but I don't feel any relationship with those styles. It just doesn't run in my blood. I'm just made of metal; I can't help the way I was born.

But I don't consider it something unfortunate, rather, it is a gift from Odin.


Wow, discos, nightclubs, school dances, weddings? That hardly provides a cross-section of decent music outside the world of Metal. It's easy to want to focus only on one genre if your exposure to everything else is limited to moronic mainstream stuff. Look for the overlooked, the cult followed, the esoteric, and you will find a wealth of good music beyond Metal. In fact you may even notice that this other music shares a certain kinship with Metal.

And of course there's always classical.

Top
 Profile  
agentsteel666
(Short) Buspass Holder

Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:45 pm
Posts: 456
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:03 pm 
 

LVB wrote:
agentsteel666 wrote:
I mean, I actually go out of my way and try really hard to appreciate other forms of music. I just can't get into it, no matter how hard I try. I've been to school dances, wedding receptions, discos, nightclubs......but I don't feel any relationship with those styles. It just doesn't run in my blood. I'm just made of metal; I can't help the way I was born.

But I don't consider it something unfortunate, rather, it is a gift from Odin.


Wow, discos, nightclubs, school dances, weddings? That hardly provides a cross-section of decent music outside the world of Metal. It's easy to want to focus only on one genre if your exposure to everything else is limited to moronic mainstream stuff. Look for the overlooked, the cult followed, the esoteric, and you will find a wealth of good music beyond Metal. In fact you may even notice that this other music shares a certain kinship with Metal.

And of course there's always classical.


Well I actually love classical. Especially Richard Wagner. His music reminds me of heavy metal. I also like classic rock.

Top
 Profile  
LVB
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:26 am
Posts: 143
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:15 pm 
 

agentsteel666 wrote:
LVB wrote:
agentsteel666 wrote:
I mean, I actually go out of my way and try really hard to appreciate other forms of music. I just can't get into it, no matter how hard I try. I've been to school dances, wedding receptions, discos, nightclubs......but I don't feel any relationship with those styles. It just doesn't run in my blood. I'm just made of metal; I can't help the way I was born.

But I don't consider it something unfortunate, rather, it is a gift from Odin.


Wow, discos, nightclubs, school dances, weddings? That hardly provides a cross-section of decent music outside the world of Metal. It's easy to want to focus only on one genre if your exposure to everything else is limited to moronic mainstream stuff. Look for the overlooked, the cult followed, the esoteric, and you will find a wealth of good music beyond Metal. In fact you may even notice that this other music shares a certain kinship with Metal.

And of course there's always classical.


Well I actually love classical. Especially Richard Wagner. His music reminds me of heavy metal. I also like classic rock.


Just a few non-metal records I'd consider checking out:

King Crimson - Red
Brian Eno - Another Green World
Tangerine Dream - Phaedra
Leonard Cohen - Songs of Love and Hate
Kraftwerk - Computer World
Frank Zappa - We're Only in it for the Money
Dead Can Dance - Aion
Can - Tago Mago

Top
 Profile  
Ghastly_Incarnation
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:23 am
Posts: 2
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:18 pm 
 

If these scumbags were so "open-minded" themselves, then they would listen to metal as well. They should die.....

Top
 Profile  
LindisfarneAnno793
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:09 am
Posts: 447
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:36 pm 
 

Ghastly_Incarnation wrote:
If these scumbags were so "open-minded" themselves, then they would listen to metal as well.


That's a load of crap. Being open-minded does not mean that you listen to every single god damn genre of music out there. All "open-mindedness" entails in this context is a receptiveness to new and different forms of music - not universal enjoyment of all music.
_________________
Our clinic raided by the authorities
Littered with corpses on all thirteen stories
We toiled long in the laboratories
Fueled by methamphetamines and forties

Top
 Profile  
Kruel
Veteran

Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:56 pm
Posts: 3426
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:37 pm 
 

LindisfarneAnno793 wrote:
Ghastly_Incarnation wrote:
If these scumbags were so "open-minded" themselves, then they would listen to metal as well.


That's a load of crap. Being open-minded does not mean that you listen to every single god damn genre of music out there. All "open-mindedness" entails in this context is a receptiveness to new and different forms of music - not universal enjoyment of all music.

Note that he used the term within quotation marks.

Top
 Profile  
LindisfarneAnno793
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:09 am
Posts: 447
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:39 pm 
 

Kruel wrote:
LindisfarneAnno793 wrote:
Ghastly_Incarnation wrote:
If these scumbags were so "open-minded" themselves, then they would listen to metal as well.


That's a load of crap. Being open-minded does not mean that you listen to every single god damn genre of music out there. All "open-mindedness" entails in this context is a receptiveness to new and different forms of music - not universal enjoyment of all music.

Note that he used the term within quotation marks.


Yes, I see them. Did using quotation marks somehow change the meaning of the term?
_________________
Our clinic raided by the authorities
Littered with corpses on all thirteen stories
We toiled long in the laboratories
Fueled by methamphetamines and forties

Top
 Profile  
Kruel
Veteran

Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:56 pm
Posts: 3426
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:42 pm 
 

Yes. By quoting the term it no longer refers to the literal meaning, but an alluded one.

Top
 Profile  
LindisfarneAnno793
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:09 am
Posts: 447
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:44 pm 
 

Kruel wrote:
Yes. By quoting the term it no longer refers to the literal meaning, but an alluded one.


Hm. Fair enough, I see what you mean. As for the point I made, then - Ghastly_Incarnation can make of it what he will.
_________________
Our clinic raided by the authorities
Littered with corpses on all thirteen stories
We toiled long in the laboratories
Fueled by methamphetamines and forties

Top
 Profile  
Deathwish238
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:40 am
Posts: 103
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:15 pm 
 

agentsteel666 wrote:
Basically that is the message that I have gotten from people everywhere when I start talking to them about the music I listen to.

Today at work I got into a conversation with some guy and it went something like this:

Me: I'm looking for a bassist so I can start playing the type of music I like, which is metal. It's extremely hard for me to find someone that I want, because I'm very particular about my sound...I'm into a specific style and it's my goal to achieve that sound (I was referring to a traditional, pure, classic sounding metal).

Him: You know you shouldn't be closed off to other forms of music. You should welcome in all forms of new sounds so your creativity can reach its full potential.

Me: I don't have anything against other forms of music, it's just that metal is the music that I feel passionate about. I'm looking to create a certain sound, and I would be against forming a band with a bassist who was into funk, or reggae, or something that would stand in the way of our goal.

Him: That is such a closed minded way of thinking. You need to broaden your horizons, branch out your tastes a little bit. You can't be 40 years old and still playing the same music you've been playing forever.

Me: I've been a metalhead for 10 years, and a musician for 15 years. I have an appreciation for music in general, but I just can't quite get into other genres of music passionately like I do with metal.

He continued to call me closed-minded, apparently for not liking other forms of music.

The thing that bothers me is this isn't the first time this has happened. Almost everyone I talk to who isn't in to metal will tell me pretty much the same thing. When someone tells me that I need to learn to get into other forms of music like I do with metal, I just think that it cannot and probably will not ever happen, not because I am prejudiced against anything that isn't metal (I like a good bit of music from other genres), but because heavy metal has consistently been the specific style of music that always seems to lift the hairs off my arms and give me goosebumps. Heavy metal is practically a religion for me. It would be like telling a Muslim or a Buddhist to start accepting and embracing all forms of religion instead of just one. For me, heavy metal is something that I live for and love with a passion. I want to play the type of music I truly like. I respect other people's taste in music; why can't they respect mine? How does it mean I'm closed minded if it's just a matter of taste? Am I right or what?


You don't sound close minded to me, you just sound like you know what type of music you love. I call metal a musician's music.

Top
 Profile  
wolvie90
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:24 pm
Posts: 215
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:39 pm 
 

Even though I consider myself a close minded person when it comes to music, it's not rare for me to get pissed off at other metalheads IRL. A few months back me and my friend went on a small local gig to see Dismember. I look(ed) like the stereotypical death metalhead, you know camo pants, band shirt, boots, all of it except for the long hair. My friend on the other hand looks nothing like a metalhead. He has the rockabilly/biker style. All the other guys at that gig looked EXACTLY the same. Tight jeans, worn-out sneakers, band shirt, leather jacket, bullet belt and of course, the long hair. Most of them looked down on us and treated us like assholes just because we don't look like them. What the fuck kind of behavior is that? Everyone looking like sheep in a herd, and looking down on others who doesn't. Nothing can be more close minded.

Top
 Profile  
LindisfarneAnno793
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:09 am
Posts: 447
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:47 pm 
 

wolvie90 wrote:
Most of them looked down on us and treated us like assholes just because we don't look like them. What the fuck kind of behavior is that? Everyone looking like sheep in a herd, and looking down on others who doesn't.


Yeah, that kind of thing is inevitable. Just curious, though - how were they treating you like arseholes and looking down on you? What behaviours were representative of this?
_________________
Our clinic raided by the authorities
Littered with corpses on all thirteen stories
We toiled long in the laboratories
Fueled by methamphetamines and forties

Top
 Profile  
Oflick
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:12 am
Posts: 212
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:28 am 
 

LVB wrote:
Frank Zappa - We're Only in it for the Money


Greatest non-metal album ever!

Something I just remembered I think somewhat relates to this. A few years ago, I heard someone say that some of the best rock bands were the one's that weren't inspired by rock. I don't particularly agree, but it made me think. Do some people frown upon people who set out to be a specific kind of band.

Not about music, but also related, is I was reading a review for John Carpentors Halloween. The reviewer said that the reason this movie was strong and more modern horror films are weak, is because the horror films by people like John Carpentor, David Cronenberg etc., were not made by people who set out to be horror filmmakers, but by people who set out to be filmmakers, and ended up making horror films. Along with that, I've read interviews with directors from films much earlier than that, who have claimed that the problem with modern filmmakers is that they set out to be filmmakers, not storytellers (i.e. they love the medium, not what it does)

I guess the point I'm trying to make, is that in these scenarios, it has essentially been implied that people are close minded, because they set out with a specific goal in mind. Maybe some people just don't believe you should have specific goals.

Top
 Profile  
Kruel
Veteran

Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:56 pm
Posts: 3426
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:34 am 
 

Setting out to be a filmmaker/storyteller is a specific goal as well - why not just be artistis? Or just be humans and live the life in whichever way it ends up on? In fact, specificity in this case can only be relatively determined.

Top
 Profile  
Oflick
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:12 am
Posts: 212
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:39 am 
 

Kruel wrote:
Setting out to be a filmmaker/storyteller is a specific goal as well - why not just be artistis? Or just be humans and live the life in whichever way it ends up on? In fact, specificity in this case can only be relatively determined.


I know, I didn't really point it out, but to me it seemed the older generation seemed to think the younger generation were close minded.

Now, that doesn't particularly relate here, in the sense that I don't think the person accusing the OP of being close minded was of an older generation. The real reason I said all that, is it just seems that when people set out to do something relatively specific, they are called close minded.

I was going to say something that it would just keep going, with people saying people want to be story tellers and not artists, but I had never read anyone say that, and thought it would just make it go on for too long. It related to the topic to me in that film genre's are sort of like music genre's, and if anything, horror films are the metal of the film industry.

Top
 Profile  
Axel_Sikth
Metalhead

Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 9:30 am
Posts: 910
Location: Hong Kong
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:56 am 
 

Oflick wrote:
I guess the point I'm trying to make, is that in these scenarios, it has essentially been implied that people are close minded, because they set out with a specific goal in mind. Maybe some people just don't believe you should have specific goals.


I don't think that the problem lies with having specific goals. Rather, I think (in those scenarios) close-mindedness occurs when one rigidly adheres to the path that they believe will lead them to a goal. Assume that I want to have a succesful music career. Having a goal alone wouldn't make me close-minded. On the other hand, if I work towards that goal with the belief that I can only attain it if I play pop music, then yes, I am close-minded.

I believe that it' not what goal you choose to set, but rather what methods you choose to use to get there that determine whether you are open-minded or not.

Oflick wrote:
I know, I didn't really point it out, but to me it seemed the older generation seemed to think the younger generation were close minded.


Close-minded in relation to what exactly? In the case of close-mindedness concerning music, then I can see where you're coming from.

Top
 Profile  
Oflick
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:12 am
Posts: 212
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:13 am 
 

Yes, close mindedness in relation to music. I was referring to both as I believe I can relate film genre's to music genre's.

I guess I chose the wrong word with specific, as just wanting to join the music industry would be specific. I guess I meant specific with no room for change or something... Or having goals and not looking at them from any other angles.

Top
 Profile  
Axel_Sikth
Metalhead

Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 9:30 am
Posts: 910
Location: Hong Kong
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:02 am 
 

Oflick wrote:
I guess I chose the wrong word with specific, as just wanting to join the music industry would be specific. I guess I meant specific with no room for change or something... Or having goals and not looking at them from any other angles.


Yup, which was what I was talking about, albiet about methods/paths and not angles. Methods and paths would be the better word to use here.

Anyways, about the older generation criticizing the younger generation as close-minded, well that's something I have personal experience with, particularly with my dad. I'll elaborate on this later, right now, I've got a class to go to.

Top
 Profile  
agentsteel666
(Short) Buspass Holder

Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:45 pm
Posts: 456
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:39 am 
 

wolvie90 wrote:
Even though I consider myself a close minded person when it comes to music, it's not rare for me to get pissed off at other metalheads IRL. A few months back me and my friend went on a small local gig to see Dismember. I look(ed) like the stereotypical death metalhead, you know camo pants, band shirt, boots, all of it except for the long hair. My friend on the other hand looks nothing like a metalhead. He has the rockabilly/biker style. All the other guys at that gig looked EXACTLY the same. Tight jeans, worn-out sneakers, band shirt, leather jacket, bullet belt and of course, the long hair. Most of them looked down on us and treated us like assholes just because we don't look like them. What the fuck kind of behavior is that? Everyone looking like sheep in a herd, and looking down on others who doesn't. Nothing can be more close minded.


Hmm...Are you sure they treated you bad simply because you looked a certain way?

And your friend, dressing as a biker you say, is "nothing like a metalhead"? I don't know how you got that...metalheads dress style originated from the biker look.

Top
 Profile  
The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:34 am
Posts: 7741
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:59 am 
 

Yeah, must say it sounds a bit off. Never have I seen concert-goers looking down on someone for not dressing "metal enough". Maybe if you start hardcore dancing or some shit.
_________________
gomorro wrote:
Fortunately the seminar started and when it finished, I runed away like if Usain Bolt were about to rape me.

Top
 Profile  
Dolf9271986
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:52 am
Posts: 510
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:08 am 
 

The way I see it is, we should all just be friends and accept each other, no matter how we dress. Us Metal-heads all have a tie with each other, a connection. We are all brothers in a way. It's harder to explain than that, but bare with me. Our oddities and differences, whether they be our clothes or some other bullshit are what make us us. To me, the musical tie that we all share is enough to accept all those who are not like us by means of clothing and other bullshit. Whether we are religious or not, whether we dress goofy or not, whether we have long or short hair, whatever the cause, no matter how different we are we all share that one thing: METAL.
_________________
www.myspace.com/anddarknessremains - My main project. Slow, heavy Death Metal.

Tea_and_Crumpets wrote:
screamingstatue wrote:
I've always maintained that St Anger is actually a very good song.


ST ANGER ROUNDDD MA NECKKKA. HE NEVA' GETTS RESPECTT!

Top
 Profile  
Axel_Sikth
Metalhead

Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 9:30 am
Posts: 910
Location: Hong Kong
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:34 am 
 

Dolf9271986 wrote:
The way I see it is, we should all just be friends and accept each other, no matter how we dress. Us Metal-heads all have a tie with each other, a connection. We are all brothers in a way. It's harder to explain than that, but bare with me. Our oddities and differences, whether they be our clothes or some other bullshit are what make us us. To me, the musical tie that we all share is enough to accept all those who are not like us by means of clothing and other bullshit. Whether we are religious or not, whether we dress goofy or not, whether we have long or short hair, whatever the cause, no matter how different we are we all share that one thing: METAL.


That's probably the cheesiest thing I've heard in quite in a while but...

:headbang: METAL! :headbang:

Top
 Profile  
marktheviktor
Metal freak

Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:41 am
Posts: 6903
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:39 am 
 

Axel_Sikth wrote:
Dolf9271986 wrote:
The way I see it is, we should all just be friends and accept each other, no matter how we dress. Us Metal-heads all have a tie with each other, a connection. We are all brothers in a way. It's harder to explain than that, but bare with me. Our oddities and differences, whether they be our clothes or some other bullshit are what make us us. To me, the musical tie that we all share is enough to accept all those who are not like us by means of clothing and other bullshit. Whether we are religious or not, whether we dress goofy or not, whether we have long or short hair, whatever the cause, no matter how different we are we all share that one thing: METAL.


That's probably the cheesiest thing I've heard in quite in a while but...

:headbang: METAL! :headbang:



He missed the 60's by thirty-nine tears. Once Sabbath came into the fold, it was much to late for that kind of rhetoric. Haha

Top
 Profile  
Axel_Sikth
Metalhead

Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 9:30 am
Posts: 910
Location: Hong Kong
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:52 am 
 

"...and here we are now in the real world."

Top
 Profile  
Zetan
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:54 am
Posts: 308
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:59 am 
 

Dolf9271986 wrote:
The way I see it is, we should all just be friends and accept each other, no matter how we dress. Us Metal-heads all have a tie with each other, a connection. We are all brothers in a way. It's harder to explain than that, but bare with me. Our oddities and differences, whether they be our clothes or some other bullshit are what make us us. To me, the musical tie that we all share is enough to accept all those who are not like us by means of clothing and other bullshit. Whether we are religious or not, whether we dress goofy or not, whether we have long or short hair, whatever the cause, no matter how different we are we all share that one thing: METAL.


I'm choking up here. That.. was.. *sniff*... Beautiful!

Group hug, anyone?





:P
_________________
I don't play nice.
Just re-opened: Slaying Steel
TinyPortal Support Team member

Top
 Profile  
AltoVariago
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:57 am
Posts: 189
Location: Italy
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:05 am 
 

Zetan wrote:
Dolf9271986 wrote:
The way I see it is, we should all just be friends and accept each other, no matter how we dress. Us Metal-heads all have a tie with each other, a connection. We are all brothers in a way. It's harder to explain than that, but bare with me. Our oddities and differences, whether they be our clothes or some other bullshit are what make us us. To me, the musical tie that we all share is enough to accept all those who are not like us by means of clothing and other bullshit. Whether we are religious or not, whether we dress goofy or not, whether we have long or short hair, whatever the cause, no matter how different we are we all share that one thing: METAL.


I'm choking up here. That.. was.. *sniff*... Beautiful!

Group hug, anyone?





:P

ahahahah
:D
one of the best posts i've read in time on this forum, and even if i dont agree completely :beer:
_________________
"Of course bands want to sell albums (unless there some uber nekro kvlt black metal band, consisting of only 14 year olds who make there album, print one copy then burn it in the name of Satan)"

my sounds: www.myspace.com/mardelleblatte

Top
 Profile  
the_bard_of_osyrhia
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:40 pm
Posts: 111
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:09 am 
 

Dolf9271986 wrote:
The way I see it is, we should all just be friends and accept each other, no matter how we dress. Us Metal-heads all have a tie with each other, a connection. We are all brothers in a way. It's harder to explain than that, but bare with me. Our oddities and differences, whether they be our clothes or some other bullshit are what make us us. To me, the musical tie that we all share is enough to accept all those who are not like us by means of clothing and other bullshit. Whether we are religious or not, whether we dress goofy or not, whether we have long or short hair, whatever the cause, no matter how different we are we all share that one thing: METAL.


That is pretty much exactly how I feel too. Well said, dude.
_________________
'There is more day to dawn, the sun is but a morning star'

http://www.last.fm/user/Argaalofthemyst

Top
 Profile  
Dolf9271986
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:52 am
Posts: 510
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:11 am 
 

the_bard_of_osyrhia wrote:
Dolf9271986 wrote:
The way I see it is, we should all just be friends and accept each other, no matter how we dress. Us Metal-heads all have a tie with each other, a connection. We are all brothers in a way. It's harder to explain than that, but bare with me. Our oddities and differences, whether they be our clothes or some other bullshit are what make us us. To me, the musical tie that we all share is enough to accept all those who are not like us by means of clothing and other bullshit. Whether we are religious or not, whether we dress goofy or not, whether we have long or short hair, whatever the cause, no matter how different we are we all share that one thing: METAL.


That is pretty much exactly how I feel too. Well said, dude.




Thank you, thank you.
_________________
www.myspace.com/anddarknessremains - My main project. Slow, heavy Death Metal.

Tea_and_Crumpets wrote:
screamingstatue wrote:
I've always maintained that St Anger is actually a very good song.


ST ANGER ROUNDDD MA NECKKKA. HE NEVA' GETTS RESPECTT!

Top
 Profile  
wolvie90
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:24 pm
Posts: 215
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:24 am 
 

LindisfarneAnno793 wrote:
wolvie90 wrote:
Most of them looked down on us and treated us like assholes just because we don't look like them. What the fuck kind of behavior is that? Everyone looking like sheep in a herd, and looking down on others who doesn't.


Yeah, that kind of thing is inevitable. Just curious, though - how were they treating you like arseholes and looking down on you? What behaviours were representative of this?


You know things like snorted at us when they saw us, pointed at my friend and lightly shook their heads, worst was when my friend was going to the bathroom and happened to bump in to one of them, and said (something like) "oh sorry didn't see you there" and he just mumbled silently "wtf" and looked "mean" at him.

Top
 Profile  
thewitchfinder
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:07 am
Posts: 209
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:46 am 
 

I am extremely open-minded when it comes to music mainly because I am a musician and can find appreciable aspects within various forms of music. I don't think there is anything wrong with admitting you are close-minded and listen to only heavy metal (generally considering it is the genre most of us dedicate a lot of ear time too over others). I think, however, it does become a problem when others disregard your non-metal taste with pernicious or immature comments based around unknowledgeable accusations. At the same time I think it is far worse for people to pretend to be diverse for the sake of looking open-minded in front of others. Just be yourselves.

Top
 Profile  
The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:34 am
Posts: 7741
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:04 am 
 

wolvie90 wrote:
LindisfarneAnno793 wrote:
wolvie90 wrote:
Most of them looked down on us and treated us like assholes just because we don't look like them. What the fuck kind of behavior is that? Everyone looking like sheep in a herd, and looking down on others who doesn't.


Yeah, that kind of thing is inevitable. Just curious, though - how were they treating you like arseholes and looking down on you? What behaviours were representative of this?


You know things like snorted at us when they saw us, pointed at my friend and lightly shook their heads, worst was when my friend was going to the bathroom and happened to bump in to one of them, and said (something like) "oh sorry didn't see you there" and he just mumbled silently "wtf" and looked "mean" at him.


Huh. Never seen anything quite like that, and I've seen plenty of people who look out of place at metal concerts.
_________________
gomorro wrote:
Fortunately the seminar started and when it finished, I runed away like if Usain Bolt were about to rape me.

Top
 Profile  
agentsteel666
(Short) Buspass Holder

Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:45 pm
Posts: 456
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:10 pm 
 

wolvie90 wrote:
LindisfarneAnno793 wrote:
wolvie90 wrote:
Most of them looked down on us and treated us like assholes just because we don't look like them. What the fuck kind of behavior is that? Everyone looking like sheep in a herd, and looking down on others who doesn't.


Yeah, that kind of thing is inevitable. Just curious, though - how were they treating you like arseholes and looking down on you? What behaviours were representative of this?


You know things like snorted at us when they saw us, pointed at my friend and lightly shook their heads, worst was when my friend was going to the bathroom and happened to bump in to one of them, and said (something like) "oh sorry didn't see you there" and he just mumbled silently "wtf" and looked "mean" at him.


Yeah and you guys didn't even look that much out of place...the way you say you dressed was metal enough...I've never seen anyone at metal concerts look down upon people for dressing a certain way...it's possible you tried dressing like them but just ended up looking like dorks doing so...I really don't know the answer

Top
 Profile  
Blackrose99
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:13 pm
Posts: 20
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:38 pm 
 

Ignore him. People not into metal will not understand.

Top
 Profile  
Dechripastocide
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:16 am
Posts: 193
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:47 pm 
 

This all reminds me of a group I came across on lastfm: http://www.last.fm/group/I+hate+metal

I agree with number 3 for the most part, but #2 is just downright illogical. Take note of the typical "rollingstone critic's taste" from the group leader.

Top
 Profile  
MuffinMan
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:52 pm
Posts: 318
Location: Mexico
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:15 pm 
 

Oh my god...
Is that group some sort of retaliation? I mean, come on... In a thread worst metal band is Iron Maiden?
Oh well... to each their own.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bronxeel, joppek, theposega and 21 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group