Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
legator
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:11 am 

i am a big metal fan but would not really listen to hardcore. i will check it out at a festival (assuming it's not a metal festival haha), simply for the heaviness and energy, but that's about as far as it goes.

i suspect that metal and hardcore fans would both criticise the things about the other genre that they love their own genre for. maybe metal fans don't need the lyrical 'relevance' (thats the best way i can think of to describe the more immediate, social and political themes) and musical simplicity compared to alot of metal. whereas hardcore fans think metal is too over-intricate instrumentally, musically and too irrelevant lyrically, which are the things that we enjoy (broadly speaking).

does this entitle each of us to look down on the other? does one group of us have the correct way of looking at the world?(because some of the people i have spoken to definitely see it as a battle, maybe more the younger ones to be fair) or have i got my imagined division wrong, and do most of you like hardcore (and i guess my hardcore categorisation extends to normal punk as well)?

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:14 am 

If your question is whether people on a metal forum also like punk, well some might (including myself), but it's hardly of direct relevance.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Oflick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:20 am 

I was a punk fan before I became the huge metal fan I am today.

I really can't stand the whiny pre-pubescent vocals a lot of hardcore vocalists have, or those pseudo death metal vocals. It's as if they saw death metal vocals and thought "Well then, how shall I go about making these sound as annoying, effortless and useless as possible?" I also hate how old punk bands (notably minor threat) didn't seem to realise that they have to sing louder than talking level in order to be heard over the music.

That's getting a bit off topic. I don't particularly like modern hardcore. I don't mind a bit of metalcore, but hardcore I find a bit annoying. Punk and proper hardcore however, I do like.

awm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:31 am 

You might like some hardcore.

Bad Brains, for instance.

Kerpak
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:49 am 

I love The Exploited, and some Discharge..but mainly their more thrash-oriented albums, so...

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:51 am 

I think you'll find most metal fans like some hardcore. I'm talking about Black Flag and stuff, old school hardcore, not the whiny emo shit getting around these days.

Regurgitation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:02 am 

Suicidal Tendencies are pretty good but I think they're considered thrash crossover.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.