Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
RevBau
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:21 pm 

I just recently bought Anthrax's Persistence Of Time and Among The Living. Now I am a huge Anthrax fan so my opinion maybe a little biased but these are two of the best thrash albums. I wouldnt say THE best but 2 OF THE best albums. Top 50 atleast. These are also both 2 of their greatest albums. Every song on each c-d is amazing. Joey Belladonna is one of thrash metals greatest vocalists and I have no idea why Anthrax didnt keep him in the band. The shredding on this album is great. Frank Bello is always top notch aswell.

I would also say Sadus should be given more credit in the thrash world even though they are mixture of Death/Thrash metal.

I also think I would %100 agree with Reign In Blood being THE greatest thrash album. From front to back its nothing but some of the greatest metal songs of all time. Rust In Peace would definetley be a close candidate though.

Last edited by RevBau on Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yogibear
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:34 pm 

kill em all metallica's most thrashiest cd.
among the living anthrax's best cd goo wriitng and varied tunes.
metal church killer riffage and playing make this one classic
death angel III may not be as all out as ultraviolence but III ahs some the their best writing ever by them.
forbidden evil-awesome bay area thrash band this debut was killer with nice tunes that changed up here and there.good ideas in the songs.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:06 am 

1. Ride the Lightning: In this case they make it on my list more for the merits of their non-thrashy moments (For Whom the Bells Toll, Fade to Black, and The Call of Ktulu being my favorites) but they were undeniably way ahead of their time in 1984. Fight Fire With Fire was probably the fastest thrash metal song around when it was written and Creeping Death more developed. Too bad the genre peaked so early.

2. Energetic Disassembly: This would have been ahead of the curve in 1988, and in 1985 it's simply groundbreaking. Technical thrash riffs, a vocalist that made Halford & co sound like Barry White, and a drum-tone straight out of Super Mario Brothers. All this together makes Asylum my favorite thrash metal song and the rest of the album isn't far behind.

3. Endless War: Take what I said about Energetically Disassembly and throw in plenty of USPM melodies and influence for good measure. If it wasn't for Mang and This House Is Burning (both generic filler) it would have topped Watchtower's debut. Thrash metal really should have taken the path these guys took.

4. Bonded By Blood: This album proves that you don't need uber-fast drumming and a death/thrash vocalist to be brutal as fuck. Paul Baloff is thrash's most insane vocalist and being written in a time when thrash riffs were in ready supply helped keep the album from a single blatant filler. A classic album from a classic era.

5. Cracked Brain: Even without Schmier Destruction managed to perfect their formula. I've heard someone here refer to them as being 'schizo thrash' and that describes their riff style perfectly. Quasi-technical but still long and twisted regardless. The almost computer-ized sounding guitar tone helps with the crazy-factor as well.

MetalSupremacy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:45 am 

TheClansman wrote:
Okie, I'll bite.
MetalSupremacy wrote:
Since everyone seems to love Darkness Descends so much, I think I might give it a second chance. I bought it several months ago and I never really listened to it, because the first time I tried it I thought it was incredibly boring. Same for any of Metallica's stuff. Thus my favourite thrash bands were Slayer and Sepultura. And they still are - I still prefer brutal, fast, skull crushing thrash like Reign in Blood, Beneath the Remains and Arise...

Wait, wait, wait, wait, you enjoy the pinnacle of 'going through the motions' thrash (slayer), but you thought Darkness Descends was boring? What? Were you in a coma when you listened to it or something? Not only that, sepultura's later two abominations beat out their first two albums for you?

Er, no offence, but what the hell? How the hell can any thrash metal fan call Beneath the Remains and Arise "abominations"? Is everyone here really so ultra obsessed with being "cult" or with being underground that they can't stand to listen to a well produced album because that would be 'selling out'? :roll:

I hope you don't seriously believe Beneath the Remains is a bad album. It has everything a good thrash album should have: fucking heavy, brutal guitaring, pounding drumming, and aggressive vocals. The sellout album you are thinking of is Chaos A.D., not Beneath the Remains, which isn't remotely selling out, it's pure thrash. You can't seriously believe that Beneath the Remains is an abomination and a sellout. Surely you don't really think that?

Morbid Visions is vastly inferior, IMO, because A. It has terrible production, which is only good for people who like everything to be "raw", and B. It is extremely juvenile lyrically. Instead of intelligent social commentary like Schizophrenia, Beneath the Remains, and Arise, it is childish satan worshiping nonsense. If I want to hear satanic metal then I'll put on Deicide, who do it a hell of a lot better.

Are you really so extreme that you actually think Beneath the Remains is a sellout album? Seriously? And you actually dislike it, even though it is not a sellout at all, and is true thrash, without a hint of groove?

Quote:
I don't get it, I really, really, really don't get it. I'm puzzled enough to not see 'Pleasure To Kill' on your original top 5 given what you're saying here. I'm just going to ignore this before my brain melts I think.

You are weird, man. I cannot comprehend how any thrash fan can be so obsessed with wanting to hear badly produced stuff just to be "true" and "underground" that they would hate Beneath the Remains, which just happens to have a good production. And you think Reign in Blood is just 'going through the motions'?!?! I mean, wtf? Is everyone here an ultra extreme kind of person who loves raw underproduced metal and hates any metal that is well produced?!?!? :shock:

lexicondevil12xu
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:09 am 

-Slayer-Reign In Blood
-DRI-Crossover
-Metallica-Ride The Lightning
-Exodus-Bonded In Blood
-Testament- The Legacy

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:39 am 

After this, you'll never view Pleasure to Kill the same way!

My only aim is to take many lives!
The more the better I feel!
My only pleasure is to hear many cries!
From those tortured by my steel!
The colour of your blood from your open body!
Is all I wanted to see!
Tasting the blood from your lips as you die!
Means satisfaction to me!

PLEASURE TO GRILL!

YO HO HO, I'M AN ARSE.

lastdodobird
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:16 am 

I hope rexxz won't thow a fit over this, but I'd think this is a good supplement to the discussion as long as we're talking favorites:

The MA Top THRASH Metal Albums Survey Results

I'm really an old school Metallica fan and I hold Master of Puppets in high regard. For me, it's sort of "Melodic Thrash Metal" (pardon the made-up term) to pure thrash metal in the same way "Melodic Death Metal" is to death metal. Metallica was never pure thrash like Slayer, Kreator or Exodus, that's for sure. The music they played was still fast, gritty, energetic and intense but it had more than thrash's normal grounding on music theory and melody.

Audioslave666raj
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:38 am 

Not Just Another "YOUR FAVOURITES" thread.Nice work threadstarter. :)

I'll list a few and describe.For me these five mean so much in the genre.

Morbid Saint - Spectrum of Death
Sepultura - Schizophrenia
Assassin - The Upcoming Terror
Torture - Storm Alert
Slayer - Hell Awaits

Morbid Saint - Spectrum of Death.Well to sum it up entirely,this covers the entire "Spectrum" thras has to offer. This begins with one of the most aggressive tracks "Lock up your Children" only to give way to masterpieces like damien,assassin,burned at the stake etc.Patt lind's vocals is specially suited to the evil,raw and insanely fast played riffs.add to that the awesome drumming. I still remember the song Assassin @ 4.40 when when drum rolls are followed by a background riffs and instantly followed by great sound of the bells of the ride cymbal.That is definitely my favourite moment in thrash metal.

Sepultura - Schizophrenia
Come'on i dont understand why people tend to forget about this gem while talking about Sepultura.Beneath the Remains and Arise are great albums,but damn this is even better than them. The intro riffs of From the Past comes the storm is really a stormy start for the album.Riffs after riffs and more riffs and sorry,did i mention riffs?:P Add to that,one of the most unique sounding Drum rolls by 16 year old Igor cavelra,Excellent production that helps the album not to sound sloppy unlike Morbid visions album.
Highlights - From the Past comes the storm, To the Walls, Troops of Doom.

Torture - Storm Alert,This may be an underground gem to many,and that is Not just the sole reason for it to make to my top 5.It is quality thrash and it delivers.Most of the song start with a bizarre sound and you might end up assuming that it might be some alternative music,but wait till the riffs and aggression takes over.
Highlights - Storm Alert,Ignominious Slaughter

People have already talked here about the upcomig terror and hell awaits.

"There's a difference between fucking and making love. Maybe some people fuck
dead bodies. I make love to them "

Audioslave666raj
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:39 am 

And obviously Darkness descends too

KingHenry
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:00 am 

Audioslave666raj wrote:

Torture - Storm Alert,This may be an underground gem to many,and that is Not just the sole reason for it to make to my top 5.It is quality thrash and it delivers.Most of the song start with a bizarre sound and you might end up assuming that it might be some alternative music,but wait till the riffs and aggression takes over.

I completely forgot about Storm Alert. A couple of fillers, but the song Terror Kingdom is an absolute classic with, what are for me, the best lyrics from any thrash track.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:32 pm 

I sorely hate the fact that I have to repeat this on just the second page. For those that this applies to, you know who you are. Everyone else is doing just fine, this thread is working out great for the most part and I am enjoying the standard of participation here. This is how every thread in this section should be, but that would ruin some people's fun.

rexxz wrote:
As long as each and every post in here remains a critical appraisal, I can see this being allowed to stay. Generally we don't do favorite threads, but your original post is good enough and sets the example that each post should follow. This is your only warning people, please try to keep the quality high. No one liners "This album is my favorite becuz its good and has nice riffs." Stuff like that is useless.

saintinhell
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:43 pm 

Every album that I thought of mentioning has already got its due on this thread except...

Overkill - Horrorscope

This is in my opinion the best Overkill album. People usually plump for Feel The Fire or The Years of Decay but as much as I love those albums, Horrorscope is utterly infectious. I wish they had arranged the tracks better because the thrashier material is all in the first half, marring the fun a bit coming to the end of the album but with all that, it's still one of my favourite thrash metal albums.

Exodus - Bonded By Blood

This is the album that got me into underground thrash and to this day, the opening notes of A Lesson In Violence never fail to make my day. This has the most memorable choruses of any thrash metal album, there might be a single song with an even catchier chorus but song-for-song in an entire album, nothing quite approaches Bonded By Blood. Oh, and the title of one of the reviews for this album goes, Paul Baloff is more metal than you.:hail:

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:14 pm 

my second choice:

Iced Earth - Night of the Stormrider

not an average type of thrash album, it's more melodic then most but hell does this album slay! the opener Angels Holocaust really sets the mood for the whole album and it's dark and gloomy as fuck!

riff wise this is Jon Shaffer 's finest hour as he slams them out one by one and they're all killer. John Greely has the perfect voice as he screams and squeels away which he (unlike his predessecor on "Iced Earth") fucking nails! combine this al with excellent backing from the bass and drums, and last but not least THE LYRICS and you've got a record that'll stampede all over you.

too bad Iced Earth (and many bands alike) do nothing but recycle and bring out mediocre after mediocre albums today, Iced Earth nailed it again with the follow up for this album "Burnt Offerings" then began do go downwards, a bit higher again with "Horror Show" and after that sank into oblivion.

but remember:

"We paint the sky with blood tonight
Setting free the damned to fight
The whore of Babylon is here
The end of the storm is near "

\m/

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

truvelocity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:30 pm 

Slayer-Seasons In The Abyss

Seasons In The Abyss is sheer genius.
Never did I listen to an album that genuinely exudes darkness in waves like Slayer's fifth. The band really pulled the stops on this one and listening to it all in one bite you really do get the feeling.
More than any album, this is Slayer. In My Opinion.

Audioslave666raj
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:31 pm 

Kruel wrote:
I'll mention Torture's Storm Alert instead of praising Darkness Descends and Spectrum of Death again. It is brutal thrash, but has some touches of lighter thrash shown in the riffage. The vocals are morbid and twisted, and the riffs constantly change from fast to slow and vice versa. Most songs are very long by thrash (and espeically brutal thrash) standards, but they have wirtten enough riffs to fill all the time. These songs are like mini-Black Prophecies, with massive riffage in the middle and ever changing. One thing to remember is: don't get the remaster. It is pretty much a prime example of "too clean that it's bad" type of production, while the original is raw to a perfect extent.

Agreed, The remastered version sounds too clean and hence it has taken away the evil and gloomy touch to the album,the guitars sound too clean and the vocals somehow arent as morbid as on the original version.
Dwell on Surreality is a nice addition,but dont forget an overambitious addition of Whips pt2 to the tracklist.Somehow it sounds BAD as compared to the original.

Primemattimus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:56 pm 

Ravenlord266 wrote:
my second choice:

Iced Earth - Night of the Stormrider

not an average type of thrash album, it's more melodic then most but hell does this album slay! the opener Angels Holocaust really sets the mood for the whole album and it's dark and gloomy as fuck!

riff wise this is Jon Shaffer 's finest hour as he slams them out one by one and they're all killer. John Greely has the perfect voice as he screams and squeels away which he (unlike his predessecor on "Iced Earth") fucking nails! combine this al with excellent backing from the bass and drums, and last but not least THE LYRICS and you've got a record that'll stampede all over you.

too bad Iced Earth (and many bands alike) do nothing but recycle and bring out mediocre after mediocre albums today, Iced Earth nailed it again with the follow up for this album "Burnt Offerings" then began do go downwards, a bit higher again with "Horror Show" and after that sank into oblivion.

but remember:

"We paint the sky with blood tonight
Setting free the damned to fight
The whore of Babylon is here
The end of the storm is near "

\m/

Hell yeah! I think that they (Jon and CO) kind of lost it after Burnt Offerings, other than some good stuff here and there. I liked Alive in Athens, it made some of the more mediocre later work sound good (kind of like how Metallica's Binge and Purge set made the Black album stuff sound better).

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:15 pm 

truvelocity wrote:
Slayer-Seasons In The Abyss

Seasons In The Abyss is sheer genius.
Never did I listen to an album that genuinely exudes darkness in waves like Slayer's fifth. The band really pulled the stops on this one and listening to it all in one bite you really do get the feeling.
More than any album, this is Slayer. In My Opinion.

the dark feeling for me mostly just comes from Dead skin mask and none of the others really. Fantastic album though.
Because they are not considered metal? This is not fare!!!

twophoton
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:52 pm 

Thought Industry Song for Insects - Not on most people's radar, I know. And I'm not claiming it's "the best" thrash album of all time. And maybe I'm one of the few here who even like this album, but it really stands out to me as one of the more interesting thrash albums of all time. When you say progressive or technical thrash, most people immediately think of Voivod and Coroner (I do, certainly). Thought Industry came way late to the party, but they were really out there. Complex - ok, chaotic - song structures. Oberlin's vocals probably were a love it or hate it thing, but he definitely had some range. Like a poor man's King Diamond. If you've never heard this album or TI the band, definitely worth checking out, just for the curiosity factor alone.

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:00 am 

Vio-Lence - Eternal Nightmares.
Fucking 'nuff said. A whole bag of riffs, every single one of them is awesome. Especially the first riff in Phobophobia and the riff that starts in 2:37 on the title track. And this album is fast too, everytime I'm high I always put on this album and bang my head until my neck hurts so bad I don't want to even move it. But wait, I still bang my head, because this album is so fucking awesome. The vocals are awesome too, they add a comical feel to it, which is actually a good thing. Singing somewhat serious vocals with a voice like that adds a good effect to the music.

Other than that, there's Rust In Peace, Bonded By Blood, Darkness Descends, Peace Sells, Reign In Blood, Spectrum of Death, the two Demolition Hammer albums, there are a lot of quality thrash albums, but this album just stands out.

BloodAndSemen
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:58 pm 

MetalSupremacy wrote:

Stronger than Hate by Sepultura
Angel of Death by Slayer
Postmortem by Slayer
South of Heaven by Slayer

Very big Slayer fan I am. :D

well all things considered it is quite difficult not to love Slayer :np:
and as for the original post
Slayer- Reign in Blood (what else)

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:38 pm 

MetalSupremacy wrote:
TheClansman wrote:
Okie, I'll bite.
MetalSupremacy wrote:
Since everyone seems to love Darkness Descends so much, I think I might give it a second chance. I bought it several months ago and I never really listened to it, because the first time I tried it I thought it was incredibly boring. Same for any of Metallica's stuff. Thus my favourite thrash bands were Slayer and Sepultura. And they still are - I still prefer brutal, fast, skull crushing thrash like Reign in Blood, Beneath the Remains and Arise...

Wait, wait, wait, wait, you enjoy the pinnacle of 'going through the motions' thrash (slayer), but you thought Darkness Descends was boring? What? Were you in a coma when you listened to it or something? Not only that, sepultura's later two abominations beat out their first two albums for you?

Er, no offence, but what the hell? How the hell can any thrash metal fan call Beneath the Remains and Arise "abominations"? Is everyone here really so ultra obsessed with being "cult" or with being underground that they can't stand to listen to a well produced album because that would be 'selling out'? :roll:

I hope you don't seriously believe Beneath the Remains is a bad album. It has everything a good thrash album should have: fucking heavy, brutal guitaring, pounding drumming, and aggressive vocals. The sellout album you are thinking of is Chaos A.D., not Beneath the Remains, which isn't remotely selling out, it's pure thrash. You can't seriously believe that Beneath the Remains is an abomination and a sellout. Surely you don't really think that?

Morbid Visions is vastly inferior, IMO, because A. It has terrible production, which is only good for people who like everything to be "raw", and B. It is extremely juvenile lyrically. Instead of intelligent social commentary like Schizophrenia, Beneath the Remains, and Arise, it is childish satan worshiping nonsense. If I want to hear satanic metal then I'll put on Deicide, who do it a hell of a lot better.

Are you really so extreme that you actually think Beneath the Remains is a sellout album? Seriously? And you actually dislike it, even though it is not a sellout at all, and is true thrash, without a hint of groove?

Quote:
I don't get it, I really, really, really don't get it. I'm puzzled enough to not see 'Pleasure To Kill' on your original top 5 given what you're saying here. I'm just going to ignore this before my brain melts I think.

You are weird, man. I cannot comprehend how any thrash fan can be so obsessed with wanting to hear badly produced stuff just to be "true" and "underground" that they would hate Beneath the Remains, which just happens to have a good production. And you think Reign in Blood is just 'going through the motions'?!?! I mean, wtf? Is everyone here an ultra extreme kind of person who loves raw underproduced metal and hates any metal that is well produced?!?!? :shock:

Beneath The Remains suffers from Reign In Blood Drum Pattern Syndrome. That's one reason I don't like it. Really, the only reason.

ObscureInfinity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:33 pm 

I'm not too well versed in thrash but here goes...

Slayer - Hell Awaits
Slayer - Haunting the Chapel
Exodus - Bonded By Blood
Holy Terror - Mind Wars
Sodom - In the Sign of Evil

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:40 pm 

No listing; content please.

JobMKII
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:51 pm 

Blutrunst wrote:
Obviously, the best thrash albums of all time are History of a Time to Come and Dreamweaver.

Sabbat (UK) are without a single doubt the masters of thrashing metal. Originality, dynamic song structures, epic album concepts, godlike guitars, necksnaping rhythms, great lyrics, savage vocals, combined with a take no prisoners attitude.

!Amen!

rms
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:27 pm 

Slayer - Show No Mercy

This album is perfect in itself. The production, lyrics, riffs, solos everything it just slays. Ground breaking to this day.

Realm - Endless War

The best album hands down of clean singing thrash.

Artillery - Terror Squad

The riffs are awesome, his voice is unique and great. Easily a top thrash album that everyone who considers themselves a fan of the genre, must have.

Vio-Lence - Eternal Nightmare

Great mix of Crossover and thrash, another flawless album that shines to this day.

Exodus - Bonded by Blood

Great sing a longs, great thrasher. Baloff slays on this.

Dark Angel - Darkness Descends

Rifftastic. Good vocals, not beating Slayer imo for that style but great in it's own right.

Kreator - Pleasure to Kill

Best german thrash album ever. Fast, ripping just insane. Loveeee it.

Off the top of my head that's it. I dont know much black and death thrash so I obviously may be missing out there but as far as that, that's it.

peterott
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:14 pm 

Sodom - In The Sign Of Evil/Obsessed By Cruelty

Chris Witchhunter - R.I.P.

lord_abraxas
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:26 pm 

Sodom - Agent Orange
Destruction - Eternal Devastation
Kreator - Pleasure to Kill
Slayer - Reign in Blood
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Exodus - Bonded by Blood

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:27 pm 

I'm quite saddened to see no one mentioning Mekong Delta here. They're seriously one of most underrated prog/thrash bands ever. Almost all of their material stand neck to neck of that of Coroner and Invocator's outputs. But anywho, specifically speaking...

Mekong Delta's magnum opus, "Dances of Death": A colossal achievement in every way. If you thought Atheist/Cynic invented technical jazz metal, then you're WRONG. Combine some healthy drumming, wonderfully technical riffs, Lee's bizzare vocal patterns and a pristine production and the result is some of the most maniacally progressive thrash metal out there..... Lovers of Invocator, Believer, Coroner and Watchtower should definetely hear this.

halofighter92
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:24 pm 

1. Master of Puppets

2. Countdown to Extinction

3. Hell Awaits

4. Years of Decay

5. Bloodletting

NocturnalHolocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:08 pm 

rexxz wrote:
As long as each and every post in here remains a critical appraisal, I can see this being allowed to stay. Generally we don't do favorite threads, but your original post is good enough and sets the example that each post should follow. This is your only warning people, please try to keep the quality high. No one liners "This album is my favorite becuz its good and has nice riffs." Stuff like that is useless.

C'mon, people.

potassium_cianide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:30 am 

I don´t know about the other four, but as far as I know, Demolition Hammer´s "Epidemic of Violence" should be in my top five.

Mea
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:43 am 

JobMKII wrote:
Blutrunst wrote:
Obviously, the best thrash albums of all time are History of a Time to Come and Dreamweaver.

Sabbat (UK) are without a single doubt the masters of thrashing metal. Originality, dynamic song structures, epic album concepts, godlike guitars, necksnaping rhythms, great lyrics, savage vocals, combined with a take no prisoners attitude.

!Amen!

Thirded to the highest.

Sorry for the dull-ish post, but I was going to mention Sabbat, and the rest of my picks have already been discussed over in this thread. (Darkness Descends, Spectrum of Death, Eternal Nightmare and either Pleasure to Kill or Eternal Devastation.)

judas666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:29 pm 

for me. the most greatest albums in the thrash genre are:

exodus. bonded by blood

megadeth. rust in peace(technical album) or killing is my bussiness in a most classic thrash with heavy sound.

metallica. kill em all (obviusly)

kreator. endless pain, terrible certainty or pleassure to kill (the classical albums of the band)

dark angel. darkness descents (pure agressive.!)

D.R.I. thrash zone or crossover (the early albums is with a punk sound.)

destruction. infernal overkill. release from agony. mad butcher are very good thrash sound with class.

coroner. R.I.P.(technical album with a incredible thrash riffs.)

vio-lence. eternal nightmare. (classical album)

slayer. show no mercy. hell awaits and reingn in blood. (riffs with class)

sadus. death to possers EP. (=)

venom. black metal. (for me is thrash)

possessed. seven churches (with primitive death with thrash sound in the riffs)

sepultura. schizophrenia. morbid visions. beneath the remains. (excelents

testament. the legacy

sodom. agent orange (classic)

other albums. fuck off. hell on earth. suicidal tendencies. suicidal tendencies. assassin. upcoming terror. exumer. possessed by fire. overkill. feel the fire. motorhead. ace of spades. whiplash. power and pain. morbid saint. spectrum of death. nuclear assault. game over. or the sabbat's albums. (the band from U.K. and the band from japan).

goatmanejy
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:16 pm 

I know this is just me, but I think GWAR's Scumdog's of the Universe deserves mention. Its an amazing record, hands down. There are no bad songs on it. Every song is the pinnacle of creativity. Although the musicianship is a little lacking here and there, they are still thouroughly competent.

Bezerko wrote:
"You're honour, I do believe that Slayer is fucking awesome. I rest my case."

bananaphone
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:38 pm 

Flotsam & Jetsam - Doomsday for the Deceiver: Awesome melodic thrash, the title track is just fucking amazing, Eric's vocals are some of the best I've ever heard in any genre of music, not one song i don't like

Megadeth - Killing is my Buisiness: Really fast, really agressive, Dave seems really pissed off and it shows through the music

BlindTortureKill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:45 pm 

Am I the only one who thinks Coma of Souls is better then Pleasure to Kill besides Ultraboris?
It may not be as vicious, fast or brutal, but the songwriting is better in my opinion, it's more memorable, varied and interesting in the long term.

It's propably the only album I can safely say it's in my top 5 along with Seven Churches.

VictimsOfDeception
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:06 pm 

Heathen - Victims Of Deception: For me, this album nailed thrash metal in a way that I had never really heard before. The way it all came together sounded perfect, and I find nothing wrong with this album. Everything sounds like it's in place, and everything's exactly the way I would want it. I cannot even begin to describe it all.

Artillery - By Inheritance: Tech-thrash, with middle-eastern stylings and a bad ass vocalist. The riffing has influenced my own playing, even. Fucking class album, with tons of innovation abound, especially in the composition and overall songwriting.

Realm - Endless War: ONE OF THE BEST ALBUMS NO ONE HAS HEARD!!! From the first notes, you're slayed with some excellent Power/Thrash with a technical tinge. Definitely recommended to anyone who loves Power/Thrash.

Helstar - Nosferatu: This album was one of those albums, where when I put it on, I immediately felt like my ass was being kicked by sheer creativity. It sounds like Neo-Classical thrash!! Andre Corbin melts faces, whilst James Rivera's haunting vocals push every song to their limits.

Kreator - Coma Of Souls: This album was what made me love Kreator. It really sounds like a lot of work was put into it, and like Victims Of Deception, everything sounds perfectly placed and just well-balanced. Definitely my favorite Kreator album.

Last edited by VictimsOfDeception on Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:07 pm 

NocturnalHolocaust wrote:
rexxz wrote:

C'mon, people.

BlindTortureKill wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks Coma of Souls is better then Pleasure to Kill besides Ultraboris?

I'm pretty sure there are quite a lot. There were several people who said they prefer CoS in this thread.

I think Pleasure to Kill is much, much better, though.

BlindTortureKill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:31 pm 

Kruel wrote:
BlindTortureKill wrote:

I'm pretty sure there are quite a lot. There were several people who said they prefer CoS in this thread.

I think Pleasure to Kill is much, much better, though.

Yeah I overlooked that, but when talking about the whole world the question "Am I the only one who...." is always obsolete.

Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:48 pm 

KingHenry wrote:
Audioslave666raj wrote:

I completely forgot about Storm Alert. A couple of fillers, but the song Terror Kingdom is an absolute classic with, what are for me, the best lyrics from any thrash track.

That album has about the lamest lyrics ever.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next