Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
marktheviktor
Metal freak

Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:41 am
Posts: 6888
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:19 pm 
 

ManofWar55 wrote:
Well, I love Finland, but I understand where your coming from. I feel the same way about Japan. There are only two exceptions I can think of and they are Balflare and Blood Stained Child (sometimes).

I have no idea why, but overall I just don't like Japanese Metal!!



For Japanese, try Sabbat and Coffins. One for black, one for death. Quality Nipponese metal.

Top
 Profile  
Nolan_B
In League With Nolan

Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 10:05 pm
Posts: 4365
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:28 pm 
 

marktheviktor wrote:
Zhuinden wrote:
Gothus wrote:
I am compelled to mention early Wyrd. Heathen is a great, Burzum-influenced record.


Indeed, I must say that if you hate the entire finland scene, you've obviously not listened to Wyrd - Rota and Heathen... You should.

Oh, and I disagree with the Burzum part, Burzum's music is nowhere compared to Wyrd's, and there is hardly ANYTHING similar. Wyrd uses better melodies, has better instruments, as it is a bit younger it also has better production, and Wyrd's vocals aren't as weak as Silencer's; and the style is absolutely different.

Imho Beherit sucked as much as Burzum, but that's just me. I hate both.


Congratulations. Now whenever you say something on this forum, your opinion won't matter. I simply won't listen to any metal fan that doesn't like Beherit.

Top
 Profile  
marktheviktor
Metal freak

Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:41 am
Posts: 6888
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:02 pm 
 

I hope you don't mean me. I love Beherit. It's a different black metal altogether, which I appreciate but I am not a fan of everything they have put out.

Top
 Profile  
Nolan_B
In League With Nolan

Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 10:05 pm
Posts: 4365
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:13 pm 
 

marktheviktor wrote:
I hope you don't mean me. I love Beherit. It's a different black metal altogether, which I appreciate but I am not a fan of everything they have put out.


No, I meant the other guy. I forgot to edit out your quote marks.

Top
 Profile  
marktheviktor
Metal freak

Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:41 am
Posts: 6888
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:06 pm 
 

ENKC wrote:
Apocalyptica comes from Finland. And since that glorious day when I realised I don't actually like Nightwish very much, that's all that matters.




I would say Apocalyptica are the biggest metal band from Finland right now. Hard to believe they have been around for about 15 years. And Ensiferum are one of the most respected bands from there as they have ne'er a bad review and are talked about alot around here. Hell, some have even accused Metallica of stealing a couple riffs from them in Death Magnetic.

Top
 Profile  
Negru_Voda
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:37 pm
Posts: 327
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:03 am 
 

Zhuinden wrote:

Oh, and I disagree with the Burzum part, Burzum's music is nowhere compared to Wyrd's, and there is hardly ANYTHING similar. Wyrd uses better melodies


What? Wyrd is fucking boring. The melodies on Lost Wisdom, Ea, Lord of the Deeps, En Ring Til A Herske, Det Som Engang Var, Jesus Tod, Dunkelheit, Stemmen Fra Tarnet, the melody at the end of Inni Slottet i Droemen etc. are much better than the simple repetitive shit Wyrd has done.

Top
 Profile  
Nausea_jps
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:46 am
Posts: 42
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:58 pm 
 

marktheviktor wrote:
ENKC wrote:
Apocalyptica comes from Finland. And since that glorious day when I realised I don't actually like Nightwish very much, that's all that matters.




I would say Apocalyptica are the biggest metal band from Finland right now. Hard to believe they have been around for about 15 years. And Ensiferum are one of the most respected bands from there as they have ne'er a bad review and are talked about alot around here. Hell, some have even accused Metallica of stealing a couple riffs from them in Death Magnetic.


I can't think of anything that would constitute Apocalyptica as a metal band.

Top
 Profile  
marktheviktor
Metal freak

Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:41 am
Posts: 6888
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:22 am 
 

Nausea_jps wrote:
marktheviktor wrote:
ENKC wrote:
Apocalyptica comes from Finland. And since that glorious day when I realised I don't actually like Nightwish very much, that's all that matters.




I would say Apocalyptica are the biggest metal band from Finland right now. Hard to believe they have been around for about 15 years. And Ensiferum are one of the most respected bands from there as they have ne'er a bad review and are talked about alot around here. Hell, some have even accused Metallica of stealing a couple riffs from them in Death Magnetic.


I can't think of anything that would constitute Apocalyptica as a metal band.


Neither would I either but they did play alot of Metallica. Cover bands aren't allowed to be accepted on the M-A but since they wrote their own material later on, I guess they were metal enough to be accepted.

Top
 Profile  
Nausea_jps
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:46 am
Posts: 42
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:55 am 
 

Being on Metal-Archives doesn't necessarily make you metal. Apocalyptica's Metallica covers are about as metal as Fall Out Boy playing a Rotting Christ cover. Think about it...

Top
 Profile  
Konig_ov_Hel
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:22 am
Posts: 487
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:00 am 
 

Nausea_jps wrote:
Being on Metal-Archives doesn't necessarily make you metal. Apocalyptica's Metallica covers are about as metal as Fall Out Boy playing a Rotting Christ cover. Think about it...


Only thing that makes that statement false is that Apocalyptica has much more talent then Fall Out Boy.
_________________
Eurnonymous wrote:
Westboro Baptist Church: Making Dio fans fap hard for God since 2010.


My CD Collection (Not Complete)
http://www.metal-archives.com/usercol.p ... nig_ov_Hel

Top
 Profile  
marktheviktor
Metal freak

Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:41 am
Posts: 6888
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:19 am 
 

I wouldn't mind going to the Tuska Open Air. There is alot of great bands that have played there. The fact that such a great festival is promoted in Finland, is a testament to the large metal base in that country. I would still attend Wacken over it though if I had to choose between the two. For one thing, the German beer and all the pretty Frau's hanging around.

Top
 Profile  
MushroomStamp
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:07 pm
Posts: 681
Location: Helsinki, Finland
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:45 am 
 

marktheviktor wrote:
I wouldn't mind going to the Tuska Open Air. There is alot of great bands that have played there. The fact that such a great festival is promoted in Finland, is a testament to the large metal base in that country. I would still attend Wacken over it though if I had to choose between the two. For one thing, the German beer and all the pretty Frau's hanging around.


Jalometalli has all of the yay and none of the gay that Tuska offers: http://www.jalometalli.net/eng/

Tuska is content with booking boring dinosaur bands (foreign and domestic) if they're sure that they'll bring in enough cash, while Jalometalli consistently takes more risks, and in the end, is the more interesting choice for me.
_________________
freedom, metal & might

Top
 Profile  
The
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:20 am
Posts: 49
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:37 am 
 

MushroomStamp wrote:
marktheviktor wrote:
I wouldn't mind going to the Tuska Open Air. There is alot of great bands that have played there. The fact that such a great festival is promoted in Finland, is a testament to the large metal base in that country. I would still attend Wacken over it though if I had to choose between the two. For one thing, the German beer and all the pretty Frau's hanging around.


Jalometalli has all of the yay and none of the gay that Tuska offers: http://www.jalometalli.net/eng/

Tuska is content with booking boring dinosaur bands (foreign and domestic) if they're sure that they'll bring in enough cash, while Jalometalli consistently takes more risks, and in the end, is the more interesting choice for me.

True dat. I have been in both festivals for the last 5 years, but somehow I can't see Tuska matching this year's Jalometalli. Or they may with something similar as the last summer culture shock of MA, Slayer and Carcass.
In Jalometalli: Voivod, ELECTRIC FUCKING WIZARD, Asphyx and Nifelheim.
May sound ordinary to many americans but they don't really tour that much in here. And I heard some rumour that because Van Drunen is playing with Asphyx, Hail of Bullets might get a set of their own as well.

Top
 Profile  
UbiqueDaemon
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:11 pm
Posts: 33
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:52 am 
 

Talking about the greatness of Jalometalli. Last year's lineup was waaay better than Tuska. Overkill, Possessed, Mayhem, Trouble, Sadistic Intent..and so on. That was pretty killer lineup for a finnish festival and this year's lineup seems to be the best in Finland again. And thankfully Jalometalli hasn't become a "trend" like Tuska.

Top
 Profile  
The
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:20 am
Posts: 49
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:03 am 
 

UbiqueDaemon wrote:
Talking about the greatness of Jalometalli. Last year's lineup was waaay better than Tuska. Overkill, Possessed, Mayhem, Trouble, Sadistic Intent..and so on.

Can't really agree on that one though.
On my books Morbid Angel, Slayer, Carcass, Primordial, Behemoth, Nile, Dying Fetus, Kreator etc. beats that line-up, I'm not saying that Possessed or Sadistic Intent wasn't legendary and great but Mayhem of nowadays is somewhat.. :I

Top
 Profile  
awm
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:13 am
Posts: 1220
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:52 pm 
 

Ugra Karma by Impaled Nazarene is an excellent album. Other than that, I have not been very impressed by them.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ancient_Sorrow, henkkjelle, Indecency and 17 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group