Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:08 am 

Gotta be honest, this is probably my favorite Annihilator release at the end of the day. I just really dig the compact, catchy songwriting that draws from a lot of interesting avenues. The label pressured Waters to write more commercially viable music, and he had a decent vocalist in Aaron Randall (maybe the best true "singer" of all Annihilator frontmen) - so he ends up writing a lot of melodic, anthem-esque early '90s stuff that sounds almost like Skid Row at times, and at other times just like typical Annihilator.

No, I don't think it ever really thrashes that well, but expecting that from Annihilator even in '93 was little more than a pipe dream. The heavier tracks really are great in their own way though, like No Zone, The Edge and Bats in the Belfry: just great hooks and zesty rhythms. Elsewhere, the band sort of makes the album a hard one to love with the inclusion of THREE ballads, but only one outright sucks is "Snake in the Grass." I really like the acoustic sections of the other two ballads, it just sounds very pleasant and works well for what it is.

I don't love the title track, but it is an OK number as well. After this point, Annihilator fell hard and fast, so Set the World on Fire has aged better than the rest of the band's '90s material. I think this is a legitimately good album, and it gets shit on by people like Metal_thrasher90 who were hardly out of diapers at the time of release, but want to bring up all of this revisionist garbage. Give it a chance I say, especially if you are into that sort of power/thrash style that some bands tried out sparingly.

EDIT: And yes, the lisp is real, despite what Waters may have said in interviews/after the fact.

Last.fm

FasterDisaster
OMG WAT DOES THIS CAPS LOCK KEY DO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:18 am 

I actually have never heard the entirety of the album, but I always enjoyed the title track. Annihilator is so goddamn hit and miss with me that I rarely have an urge to go back and listen to the albums I missed on the way up.

Also, Waters said the lisp was caused by some crummy mics during recording. Is there another recording of the vocalist that shows it's clearly a lisp, then?

Temple Of Blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:06 am 

The title track was an amazing song but this album was a TREMENDOUS let down for me after playing "Never Neverland" to death and loving it as much as I did.

Some real cornball moments on here. So many duds that I think alienated almost all their fans.

fourrobert13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:39 pm 

It's not my favorite. A few good songs, yes, but the rest is filler. I actually prefer King of the Kill when it comes to the 1990's output (trashier to me). I know everyone is not a fan of Waters on vocals, but I think he sounded good here compared to today (corny). Set the World on Fire is a lot like the most current release...kinda cheesy with a couple good songs.

ChildClownOutlet
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:57 pm 

I fucking love Brain Dance, the best song on that album.

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:47 pm 

fourrobert13 wrote:
kinda cheesy with a couple good songs.

Pretty much sums up their whole catalogue for me...

BastardHead
Magic Mike

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:52 pm 

Never liked this one myself, though admittedly it's been like eight years since I last heard it so I don't exactly remember why. In my eyes, they sorta fluked out one decent album after Never, Neverland, and that was Waking the Fury, and even then it was mostly just because of the title track and Cold Blooded.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:24 pm 

The poppier songs are actually my favs on the album (Snake in the Grass (which I definitely wouldn't call a ballad), Sounds Good to Me). When it tries to be heavier it sounds really generic to me, some songs like Brain Dance and No Zone bordering on self-plagiarism, others trying too hard to be Judas Priest. Overall it's an OK album, definitely several steps down from the first two though.

Necrobiotik
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:20 am 

Commercial as fuck .

JDM839
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:47 am 

Knight Jumps Queen is my favourite Annihilator song. Really catchy song. Also, Brain dance, Phoenix Rising and the title track are great songs.

Not a consistent album by any means but the few stand out tracks are very good.
Lord Rot - Old-school Death Metal - Free EP Download

FasterDisaster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:05 pm 

JDM839 wrote:
Knight Jumps Queen is my favourite Annihilator song.

"Knight jumps Queen if you know what I mean!"

:getout:

JDM839
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:38 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
JDM839 wrote:
Knight Jumps Queen is my favourite Annihilator song.

"Knight jumps Queen if you know what I mean!"

:getout:

Haha, hey! I didn't say anything about the lyrics being good! It's just got a good groove, really bouncy.
Lord Rot - Old-school Death Metal - Free EP Download

Temple Of Blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:34 pm 

I thought the mainstream-sounding tracks were trying to be Scorpions, not Judas Priest. And really failing to reach the same level of quality.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:47 pm 

Necrobiotik wrote:
Commercial as fuck .

Not terribly. But even if it is, who gives a shit? Still some good songs on it.

Plus it isn't as if Annihilator were ever a figurehead for genre integrity.

Last.fm

Temple Of Blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:16 am 

Diamhea wrote:
Necrobiotik wrote:
Commercial as fuck .

Plus it isn't as if Annihilator were ever a figurehead for genre integrity.

Not even on the debut? Not sure how you figure that.

FasterDisaster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:00 am 

Annihilator's debut is garbage. I've always considered them to be a blight on thrash metal. Jeff Waters is an incredible guitarist, but I'm baffled how he's managed to fuck up nearly every Annihilator record in some of the most profound and damning ways.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:34 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
I actually have never heard the entirety of the album, but I always enjoyed the title track. Annihilator is so goddamn hit and miss with me that I rarely have an urge to go back and listen to the albums I missed on the way up.

Also, Waters said the lisp was caused by some crummy mics during recording. Is there another recording of the vocalist that shows it's clearly a lisp, then?

Yes, the Randall Frost Project and the other band that branched off from that.

Last.fm

Temple Of Blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:47 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Annihilator's debut is garbage. I've always considered them to be a blight on thrash metal. Jeff Waters is an incredible guitarist, but I'm baffled how he's managed to fuck up nearly every Annihilator record in some of the most profound and damning ways.

Not sure why you think their first two albums are garbage. Some very good and innovative riffing on those and good overall band perforamances. Alice blew me away when I heard it back in the day. Don't judge this band by the junk that came after 1990.

FasterDisaster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:46 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
Don't judge this band by the junk that came after 1990.

I've heard more Annihilator than you think, and more than I'd like to admit.

Temple Of Blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:04 am 

If you can't hear how much more creative the thrash riffing is on the first two annihilator cds than recent overkill then I can't help you.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:21 am 

Dave Linsk is a great technical player, but I've never been big on his riffs or licks.

But to call Never, Neverland a superior thrash record than any of Overkill's recent three outings is patently ludicrous.

Last.fm

Temple Of Blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:16 am 

Diamhea wrote:
Dave Linsk is a great technical player, but I've never been big on his riffs or licks.

But to call Never, Neverland a superior thrash record than any of Overkill's recent three outings is patently ludicrous.

There is a huge contradiction here.

He doesn't write good riffs but his albums are good? You can't make a good meal with a crappy main ingredient.

Last edited by Temple Of Blood on Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:25 am 

You are fabricating some of the specifics.

Linsk is a great technical guitarist, but I'm just not sold on his personal style. It doesn't take anything away from the material he has appeared on, which runs the gamut from the band's worst to some of their best ever. Are his riffs "good?" That is far too vague a question to mean anything. His thrash riffs are stellar, but I don't like all of his melodic licks.

Note that the comparison to Never, Neverland means little itself, since Never, Neverland is exceedingly average.

Last.fm

Twisted_Psychology
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:54 pm 

I'm not as gung ho on Annihilator as I was in college but I still like Set The World On Fire quite a bit. The Edge is kinda half-assed but the title track, Knight Jumps Queen, and Phoenix Rising are among their best in my opinion. It's definitely lighter than most of their albums but it's also enjoyably upbeat.

FasterDisaster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:48 am 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
If you can't hear how much more creative the thrash riffing is on the first two annihilator cds than recent overkill then I can't help you.

What the fuck does "recent OverKill" have anything to do with this discussion?

Also Diam, yeah, I agree with pretty much everything you said.

Reply to topic