Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Peyp
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:29 am 

Hello, could someone translate the link below?

http://rigvedawiki.net/w/새드%20레전드

The article is about the Korean black metal band known as Sad Legend, which I'm trying to learn more about. It seems like they just suddenly disappeared, and Metal Archives doesn't even have an exact year. However, this article appears to have info relating to their later years nearing the bottom of the page. I couldn't make out the text with Google Translate. Any help would be great, thanks!

wednesdaysixx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:34 pm 

I don't know Korean but that link doesn't seem to be working...

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:51 pm 

Copy and paste it. It doesn't translate into a clickable link normally because of the Korean in it.

Deathwish77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 4:10 pm 

From what I remember of the debut, Sad Legend is worth the trouble. Talk about an album that needs a reissue. One of the worst trades I've ever made. Sad legend for Ritual's Soldiers Under Satan's Command. Not that Ritual is that bad but...

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:36 pm 

I live in Korea. I'll see about translating it.

edit: tried earlier and had access ot the link. Tried to access the link at work, got the 503 batman got. Sorry, no translation.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Last edited by OzzyApu on Thu May 26, 2016 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:54 pm 

Getting a 503 on it, but I'll try to help out later.

Anyway Sad Legend were really cool but I think basically the appetite for black metal has essentially just totally dried up in Korea. Those guys were getting up there in age, too, and I think Naamah has just sorta retired from music. I have a few metal scene contacts here so maybe I'll ask around and see if anyone knows what he's up to these days.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:21 pm 

Call me cynical, but I wouldn't click on a link that some new guy posted in a million years.

Deathwish77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 2:55 pm 

You could always try Google translate. Yeah, it's pretty crap but it's better than nothing.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:45 pm 

...He already said he tried that.

I can understand some of it but I want a native speaker's opinion. It's not 503-ing anymore so I'll get back to you.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:40 am 

Alright, bad news. They went on indefinite hiatus in 2012, and Naamah confirmed in 2014 that the band is done for good. Sucks.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:51 am 

K, so I got one of my students to translate the page (with additional translation of the meaning on my part).

Quote:
The band was formed in 1997 by drummer / vocalist 나마 (Naamah). In the beginning he was the sole member. Later, he found 3 other members: guitarists Gang Eun Hyeong and Gwon Yeong Woo, as well as bassist Lee Gang Hyeon (too lazy to do korean spelling of their names on my K-keyboard). They then found vocalist Gwak In Ho.

The purpose of the music is based on Korean Han (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Han_(cultural). Their Han-focused lyrics are combined with political, personal, social, and international issues. The band is one of the most Korean sounding black metal bands [ I think this is what the writer was saying, according to my student].

Now, only Naamah is active. When he has live performances, he recruits live members: No Hwan Su (guitarist), Jang Seong Geon (bassist), and Gwon Yong Man (drummer).

In 1998, they made their debut album Sad Legend. Critics gave positive reviews. This debut album is rare, making it very expensive in the used market. They made an EP album in 2001.

In 2009, they made a second full-length album, The Revenge of Soul. At this point they were still active.

In 2012, the band leader said the band went on hiatus. He later took back what he said, but then he went on hiatus again, this time confirming that he would not take back what he said.

On May 14th 2012 they wrote "we will split up" but after 8 days (on May 22nd) they would reform in September.

They have a concert Nov / Dec 2012. There was news about a new album. However, as of 2014 it seems that they split up. Blogger Choryeon said Naamah asked for the page to be shutdown. Choryeon will keep the blog up as a reference page. This is a good band in our country which is a wasteland for extreme metal. Unfortuntaley, we cannot see them [Sad Legend] anymore.

The band Expensive Trophy [? both my student and I were confused] made the album Sad Legend of Goguryeo, with no relationship to the band Sad Legend.

Well, hope that helps. The band broke up.

Edit: ah crapper, batman beat me to it.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Last edited by OzzyApu on Sat May 28, 2016 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 1:48 am 

Tropy = Trophy.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 10:39 am 

Typo on my part, not a translation error. My bad.

Peyp
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 1:24 pm 

Deathwish77 wrote:
From what I remember of the debut, Sad Legend is worth the trouble. Talk about an album that needs a reissue.

Yeah, I completely agree. Sad Legend's debut was around $60 last I checked, and that's way too much for me to consider atm.

Thanks for the translation Ozzy. Was wondering if there was a chance of a new album, a reissue, or at least a way of clearing up their split-up date on the archives. Guess there's a little hope if an album was planned, but probably not.

Reply to topic