Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Warlord Wossman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:50 pm 

There is one day left until the Russians release their new album Gravenous Hour.

I personally really enjoyed Autopsychosis and I hope their upcomming release can hold up to that standard.
The style Autopsychosis has is quite unique which is a rare thing to achive as a brutal death metal band. We will see how it changed ect.

Here is the cover which looks pretty cool imo:

And a tracklist:
1. In the Dark of Stars
2. Blinded Sultan
3. To the Lords of Nihil
4. Critical Black Mass
5. The Long Bright Darkness
6. Monastery of Nothing
7. After Omega
8. Grave New World
9. Ghoul Inquisitor
10. Tephra
11. In the River of Red

Edit: The youtube link is broken already.

Last edited by Warlord Wossman on Thu May 26, 2016 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:02 am 

I'll have to listen to the YouTube stream later but I heard one song (Critical Black Mass) and it's very little like Autopsychosis. I think this one is more technical and doesn't focus on the slams as much. I may be wrong but I'm keen to hear it and see for myself. Thanks for reminding me of this one!

cultofkraken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:25 am 

Actually really digging this album. Not sure if it's better than Autopsychosis though. It's definitely its own album.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:34 am 

This went completely under my radar. Autopsychosis is among my favourite BDM albums, so I'm really psyched for this!!

Warlord Wossman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:00 am 

MikeyC wrote:
I'll have to listen to the YouTube stream later but I heard one song (Critical Black Mass) and it's very little like Autopsychosis. I think this one is more technical and doesn't focus on the slams as much. I may be wrong but I'm keen to hear it and see for myself. Thanks for reminding me of this one!

Yeah I had the same feeling when I listened to CBM and I feared that this album could be too close to the standard modern tech death metal. I only went through the album once yet but I got the feeling that there is still parts of that Katalepsy feeling left, I just need to listen to it more often to get a better feel for what they did.
They have changed some things for sure but I can see why you don't want to copy the same album over and over as a band and so far it didn't sound too bad for me.

cultofkraken wrote:
Actually really digging this album. Not sure if it's better than Autopsychosis though. It's definitely its own album.

For me Autopsychosis will probably stay as my fav Katalepsy album. But I agree that Gravenous Hour is something on its own and that doesn't mean it has to be a bad thing at all.
I just hope that I can still have that specific Katalepsy feel when listening to their newest effort even if it has its own twists to it!

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:13 am 

Having now listened to Gravenous Hour a few times I feel that it isn't quite on par with Autopsychosis. I don't think this new tech-melodic approach really fits them, and the production and songwriting in itself isn't nearly as heavy as on the previous one.

Warlord Wossman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:26 am 

Zerberus wrote:
Having now listened to Gravenous Hour a few times I feel that it isn't quite on par with Autopsychosis. I don't think this new tech-melodic approach really fits them, and the production and songwriting in itself isn't nearly as heavy as on the previous one.

I can see what you mean, and I mostly agree. Autopsychosis just smashed where this album places rather boring tech solos that don't really reach the same levels of intensity that songs like Gore Conspiracy or Amongst Phantom Worlds had. Also there is no need for too much melodie in death metal if you ask me.

Might still be worth getting the album for me tho since I can enjoy what they did. It's not what I would have hoped for after a great first album but it is still solid imo.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:33 pm 

Warlord Wossman wrote:
Zerberus wrote:

I can see what you mean, and I mostly agree. Autopsychosis just smashed where this album places rather boring tech solos that don't really reach the same levels of intensity that songs like Gore Conspiracy or Amongst Phantom Worlds had. Also there is no need for too much melodie in death metal if you ask me.

Might still be worth getting the album for me tho since I can enjoy what they did. It's not what I would have hoped for after a great first album but it is still solid imo.

Agree.

I have really hoped this upcoming effort can be a brutal death hammer cause Autopsychosys is, but, unfortunately isn't.

Just vegan and faggots melo-tech-death for dad's fancy-ass. Fuck!!! :puke:

"You make it easy."

Red_Death
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 5:25 am 

Zerberus wrote:

I don't think the problem really lies with any sigificant change in musical direction. First time I listened to the new LP, the impression was that it's pretty much Autopsychosis pt. 2 (which is excellent) but with some twists *and*...guitars buried in the mix to an extent. Drums and vocals seemed to take up most of the sonic space, which is why I also thought the new album lacks in heaviness and in-your-face smashing.

t1337Dude
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 5:34 pm 

Well...I think this album kicks ass. It hasn't really clicked with me yet, but Autopsychosis didn't immediately click me with either. There are plenty of heavy riffing and slam sections. I don't hear any inappropriate melodic riffing present - though there is much more of a focus on lead guitar shredding than I would've expected. Just seems to me that Katalepsy is trying to practice restraint. They started all-out slamming with Musick Causes Injuries, practiced more restraint with Autopsychosis (with a big payoff), and practice even further restraint here. I can appreciate they're reaching for a more 'balanced' brutal death metal sound, though it's unfortunate that we lose out on a bit of that bombastic excitement that Autopsychosis contained.

Still heavy as fuck and lots of awesome sections on this album - I have nothing to complain about.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:58 pm 

Just finished the album. Very good stuff. There's little pieces of Autopsychosis in it, but ultimately it looks like Katalepsy are moving away from that sound. This time around they've produced something really good. I'll have to listen to it again but first impressions are positive. :)

EDIT:
The Lions Den wrote:
Just vegan and faggots melo-tech-death for dad's fancy-ass. Fuck!!!

Thank you for my new sig!

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 2:19 am 

MikeyC wrote:
EDIT:
The Lions Den wrote:
Just vegan and faggots melo-tech-death for dad's fancy-ass. Fuck!!!

Thank you for my new sig!

You're welcome :)

"You make it easy."

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 4:54 pm 

Just listened to it. Less slams than Autopsychosis and also way more high register arpeggios and tremolos. It sounds like good technical death metal with a melodic emphasis, but I preferred the perfect balance between technical, brutal and slamming much more. They've basically thrown their trick out the window.

Still, enjoyable.

EDIT: Really digging the instrumental outro "In the river of blood" though.
I refuse to give metalsucks any web traffic.

Reply to topic