Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:08 am 

La Raza was only slightly above average, but I am hopeful for this one since I can always use more Armored Saint in my life. They released a video for the title track and the track "Mess" is streaming and both are good songs. I mean, this isn't going to change anyone's mind but the band seems to be in good form and having fun. The artwork is super cheesy, though:

1. Win Hands Down
2. Mess
3. An Exercise in Debauchery
4. Muscle Memory
5. That Was Then, Way Back When
6. With a Head Full of Steam
7. In an Instant
8. Dive
9. Up Yours

Youtube: show

Last.fm

The Orange Man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:18 am 

La Raza really grew on me over time, much like Symbol Of Salvation which I didn't care for upon the first few spins ironically.

Digging the new material. Considering a drive to one of their shows before the release. And I do love some extra cheese on my album covers.

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:34 pm 

I didn't care for that break in the middle but otherwise I enjoyed it. Pleasantly surprised. John Bush still sounds great too. Hopefully the rest of it measures up.

babysgottalocomotive
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:01 am 

Revelation floored me sixteen years ago when it came out, what an album! Hopefully they can regain the fire they had on that...

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:51 am 

i mean this in the best way (ie. not an insult at *all*) when i say this sounds a lot like 90s metallica with a better singer and leads. that middle bit before it went quiet was really fucking cool, too. john bush is disgustingly underrated. he's easily in my top 10. must be in his 50s by now and he's barely missed a step.

luismilanese
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:34 am 

Excellent news. I was listening to them this weekend and thinking how underrated they are.

About the song - Win Hands Down - I liked it. At first I thought it wasn't anything special, but it got better on the second listening. And that jazzy pre-solo is very cool.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:59 pm 

Title track is OK but "Mess" is pretty fucking awesome. I can't get enough of this one... that refrain is through-and-through classic Saint.

Last.fm

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:29 am 

The chorus in Win Hands Down is infectious. I had it stuck in my head all day. The song has a poppy, alternative rock edge but there are still elements of Armored Saint. Wish they would go back to their more epic early material.

Also, the jazz section is sweet and the solo(s) even sweeter ! Back and forth soloing and just when you think it can't get any better, it elevates beautifully at 3:48. Pure guitar magic. Hands down my favorite solo of the last few years.

I haven't been able to get into the other song, Mess.

Overall, I think this album will have good and bad moments because it is made by brilliant musicians who may unfortunately be more into alt/modern music than the traditional heavy metal roots of their band.

putrenista
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 2:25 am 

I just watched the video. Really loved the song. I'll check out that other track a bit later.

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 9:47 am 

The Orange Man wrote:
La Raza really grew on me over time,

Same here. I think it often gets overlooked because it's not a typical Saint album and their signature sound isn't as present.

The new songs sound promising, but yeah, what's up with that artwork? I always wonder what goes through a band's head when they see something like this and decide "Yes! This is the artwork that we want to represent our new album!"

Last edited by novakm on Thu May 28, 2015 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:27 pm 

Well, I got the promo of this thing, and it indeed sounds like a stylistic followup to La Raza. So while that disappoints me a bit, there is a lot of variation and plenty of good songs. I need more time to absorb this but first impression is "Decent."

Last.fm

Oblarg
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:40 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
Title track is OK but "Mess" is pretty fucking awesome. I can't get enough of this one... that refrain is through-and-through classic Saint.

Similar reaction here. The title track didn't do much for me, but "Mess" is probably the best Saint song I've heard since Symbol of Salvation.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:53 am 

I've been listening to the album a few times this morning and ... fuck, this is the biggest letdown of the year :( Not even metal, really. This is mostly "mature" alternative rock with tinges of metal here and there, particularly during soaring solos. If you like that kind of music, it's got a lot going for it, I guess:

- John Bush is still absolutely amazing. His voice is in great shape and most of those songs are obviously built around radio-friendly vocal melodies so he is ever-present. He is however one of the reason this album is not metal enough. "Full Head of Steam" is a song that exemplifies that. Heavy riffing, pop vocals.
- Musicianship by the others is also exceptional with of course a lot of room for Joey Vera. I gotta point out the solos again. Love them.
- Songwriting is top notch if you like formulaic commercial modern rock. Tons of hooks, smartly arranged, etc. Unfortunately, there is no soul.
- You hear everyone crystal clear. Nice production job but very generic.

Unfortunately, I'm just not into alternative rock at all and if I really wanted such an album, I'd grab a 90s classic. It's pretty clear Armored Saint aren't into metal anymore. I need me some Delirious Nomad to cleanse my soul.

Spiner202
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:11 am 

I think calling it alternative rock is a bit harsh. It isn't the heaviest thing in the world, but I don't think it's too far removed from some of their work (I'll admit I haven't heard all of the early stuff, but there are enough similarities to see the evolution). My first couple of listens were definitely disappointing, but it's growing on me with each listen.

Aside from the title track, I think the album really excels when the guitars are soloing. In particular, the endings to "In An Instant" and "Up Yours" are great.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:01 pm 

Yeah that's a smidgen harsh. Still a good album... fluid listen save for some iffy moments near the end. Coming from La Raza I more or less expected this, although I was hoping for something a bit more... erm "throwback." Even Symbol had some softer numbers, but they were built around the metal tracks like Reign of Fire, Burning Question, Hanging Judge etc. I'll still take it, at least the band is still kicking, touring, etc. and they will play the classics

Last.fm

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:06 pm 

Well I like it. I think the last couple songs are pretty meh, especially Dive, but otherwise it's a solid entry for Armored Saint. I just hope they can find a way to release an album more than once every five to ten years.

Reply to topic