Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:29 am 

"Dear Delainers, we are so happy to announce the title, cover art and tracklisting of our fifth studio album: Moonbathers
We have never had so many milestone events in one year. The release of our EP Lunar Prelude, our fifth studio album Moonbathers, our upcoming 10 year anniversary celebrations and Live registration, and there is still more to come. All of this while playing our most heavy touring year ever. We are on a roll, and our new album Moonbathers is here to embody that. We hope you will enjoy this new effort and join us on our endeavors making 2016 the biggest year for Delain ever!

You can read the first details and tracklisting of Moonbathers in the press release below:

"2016 means ten years of DELAIN – and therefore ten years of larger-than-life symphonic metal!
The band's latest EP Lunar Prelude was a tasty treat earlier this year, but haven`t we all been waiting for the main course? Finally the wait is over, as DELAIN have now unveiled first and hotly anticipated details for their upcoming and fifth studio album titled Moonbathers, set to be released August 26th 2016 on Napalm Records!

Moonbathers, mastered by Grammy award winning Ted Jensen, will satiate your hunger for the symphonic extravagance, catchy hooks and a solid dose of metal that the band is known for. It showcases DELAIN from both their most bombastic and sensitive sides as they explore all things nocturnal through an especially varied set of tracks including a surprising cover of classic rock legends Queen as well as a reappearance of Alissa White-Gluz as a special guest on opening track “Hands Of Gold”.

The visual counterpart comes courtesy of longtime collaborator and neo-Victorian romantic Glenn Arthur:
The tracklist will read as follows:

1. Hands Of Gold – Featuring Alissa White-Gluz
2. The Glory and the Scum
3. Suckerpunch
4. The Hurricane
5. Chrysalis - The Last Breath
6. Fire With Fire
7. Pendulum
8. Danse Macabre
9. Scandal
10. Turn the Lights Out
11. The Monarch

Bonus CD

12. Suckerpunch - Live In The Netherlands
13. Turn The Lights Out - Live In The Netherlands
14. The Glory And The Scum - Live In The Netherlands
15. Don't Let Go - Live In The Netherlands
16. The Glory And The Scum - Orchestra
17. Hands Of Gold - Orchestra

You can order Moonbathers here."

source: http://www.delain.nl

Yep, this sounds good. :D

EDIT:
This is "Suckerpunch", a song off their "Lunar Prelude" EP, which is also track no. 3 on "Moonbathers".

Youtube: show

I don't know if this exact same version will be on the album, but it unfortunately sounds way too popish for me. :( :nono:

stainedclass2112, on The Legacy, wrote:
Even the really extreme thrash albums out there can't match this level of holy shit-ness.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:56 am 

As long as they never do something like We are the Others again. That thing was half-and-half. Cover art is by the same artist as that album, so I'm already not liking that aspect of it. However, cover doesn't deal with the music.

I definitely dig the song. Heard it before, liked it. I hope there's one song that really sticks with me like the last album ("My Masquerade").

Oh, and someone tell Charlotte to take that shit out of her nose.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:36 am 

Ooh, this should be neat. They haven't let me down yet, and here's hoping they don't start.
Eureka Seven
After that: Bokurano and Ergo Proxy

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:51 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
As long as they never do something like We are the Others again.

I really like that album.

I don't listen to much Delain anymore, but I'll probably check this out for old times sake. Always a quality, fun band at any rate.

Napalm_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:44 pm 

I'll spare you all from the endless gushing, and simply say that I am very much looking forward to this. I am already well acquainted with the new song and of course I loved it. Like always, this will be a great album.

stainedclass2112, on Delain wrote:
...that voice is like Satan's anus breathing. Those symphonic elements are like the tides of the eschaton raping the masses.

Cryptic Writings.

The Red Tower
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:15 pm 

I saw them live last Sunday and got totally blown away, best band of the day along with Saxon, Sick of it all, Overkill and Twisted Sister. Definitely had to get their autographs and right now I'm giving them a closer listen. Maybe I have to put some money aside... That Suckerpunch thingy is pretty awesome! The instrumental interludes actually remind me a lot of Civil War.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:55 pm 

New song has a good chorus but there's not much else to it... Stardust was better. The last album did very little for me, but maybe I'm a bit burned out on the style..

Last.fm

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:59 pm 

I don't like the chorus. If the entire album sounds like "Suckerpunch" Delain are gonna lose a fan. Not that it matters, anyway...

Even the really extreme thrash albums out there can't match this level of holy shit-ness.

Dettigers
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:49 pm 

Lich Coldheart wrote:
I don't like the chorus. If the entire album sounds like "Suckerpunch" Delain are gonna lose a fan. Not that it matters, anyway...

Well I can tell you then The Glory and the Scum sounds nothing like Suckerpunch. They even said all the song are going to differ stylistically in sound

Don't worry about the name Nameless/Clawfinger it was just a worked title for The Glory and the Scum

Dettigers
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:53 pm 

Lich Coldheart wrote:

EDIT:
This is "Suckerpunch", a song off their "Lunar Prelude" EP, which is also track no. 3 on "Moonbathers".

I don't know if this exact same version will be on the album, but it unfortunately sounds way too popish for me. :( :nono:

Martijn hated OK not hated dislikes the EP version music and sound wise from what he has said it will be nothing like the EP. The remixed it for the album. Not sure about Turn the Lights Out. But Suckerpunch will have a total different sound.

stainedclass2112
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:34 pm 

I was introduced to this band by a person who happens to enjoy them a whole freaking fudge ton, but I must say I have become a fan myself. I enjoyed all of their albums to at least a certain extent; I'll be checking this one out!

Sepulchrave wrote:
What are you, nine? Say "penis". Repeat after me, "PEEEEENNNUUUUSSS".

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:42 am 

Dettigers wrote:
Well I can tell you then The Glory and the Scum sounds nothing like Suckerpunch. They even said all the song are going to differ stylistically in sound

Yeah, that song sounds quite good. Thanks for posting it. :)
Dettigers wrote:
Martijn hated OK not hated dislikes the EP version music and sound wise from what he has said it will be nothing like the EP. The remixed it for the album. Not sure about Turn the Lights Out. But Suckerpunch will have a total different sound.
\
Well, I really hope it will sound different. I'd hate to be let down by Delain, too.... You hear that, Lacuna Coil? You hear that???? :annoyed:

Napalm_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:20 am 

That new song was excellent! I think we have another winner of an album on our hands!

...that voice is like Satan's anus breathing. Those symphonic elements are like the tides of the eschaton raping the masses.

Cryptic Writings.

Paganbasque
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:25 am 

The first album´s cover was nice the rest is shit.

New song its just meh. I dont get the hype with this band, I will try to listen to more stuff from them.

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:48 am 

Paganbasque wrote:
The first album´s cover was nice the rest is shit.

New song its just meh. I dont get the hype with this band, I will try to listen to more stuff from them.

It's just sugary music. People like it for the same reason children like candies, though there are some people legitimately adore them... :lol:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:47 am 

I wouldn't really say there's any unusual amount of hype around Delain. I mean people like them but people like a lot of bands.

OlderBudweiser
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:25 am 

Put a lesser good looking female in front and you never hear of them again.

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:34 am 

OlderBudweiser wrote:

The fuck... ???
There are goth/symphonic/power metal bands with more beautiful singers but you don't really hear about them, do you? How often have you heard about Visions of Atlantis, for example? And I don't think you can deny Clémentine Delauney is indeed more beautiful than Charlotte.
Spoiler: show

Delain are known owning to their music. Sorry if it doesn't appeal to you but to say they only got known thanks to them having a "good looking female in front" is just wrong.

Paganbasque
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:30 am 

OlderBudweiser wrote:

Thats not true. Firtly, there are bands with more beautiful singers which are almost unkown. Secondly, she is not that beautufl, but I guess its a matter of each owns taste. And thirdly, I am not the biggest fan of them but according to our forum mates, it seems that they like the band because the metal base of the bands music is pretty good.

OlderBudweiser
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:44 am 

Lich Coldheart wrote:
OlderBudweiser wrote:

The fuck... ???
There are goth/symphonic/power metal bands with more beautiful singers but you don't really hear about them, do you? How often have you heard about Visions of Atlantis, for example? And I don't think you can deny Clémentine Delauney is indeed more beautiful than Charlotte.

Delain are known owning to their music. Sorry if it doesn't appeal to you but to say they only got known thanks to them having a "good looking female in front" is just wrong.

Both bands are known to me. I was talking about the singer in general. I happen to find Charlotte very cute. You can't deny that that's an extra factor for the band. Imagine Delain( or 90% of the goth/ symphonic metal bands) with a ugly guy in front. Imagine Nightwish without Floor and let's say Joey Belladonna as a singer? Imagine Vision of Atlantis with James Hetfield on vocals? I know the names i used are not really known for their vocal strenghts, but you know what i try to say.

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:52 am 

Yeah, but goth/symphonic metal bands wouldn't sound the same if they were fronted by a guy. However, I agree cute female singers are an extra factor that contributes to the popularity of those bands but "extra" does mean neither "main" nor "essential".

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:11 am 

Guys, let's not go there.

Last.fm

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:38 am 

Man, critiquing the looks of singers in popular bands sure is fucking trashy. I'm sure Lich_Coldheart and Paganbasque are male models themselves - otherwise not sure why they'd say such bullshit.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:50 am 

OlderBudweiser wrote:
I don't think you can deny Clémentine Delauney is indeed more beautiful than Charlotte.

She's not even close dude, get your eyes checked.

Last.fm

Xlxlx
Argentinian Acid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:15 pm 

Discussing the looks of singers is lame. Do people talk about the cooking skills of models? No? Well, what d'ya know, it's because they don't fucking matter.
Xlxlx, I'm very proud of you for standing up to the cisgender patriarchy and embracing who you really are. No matter what others may say always remember: you are beautiful and you are a goddamn empanada.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:30 pm 

but can they cook well? i only want culinary metal.

ambient
drone
noise for your girlfriend
last.fm

Purabid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:38 pm 

But symphonic/gothic metal is kinda targeted towards an audience who do care about looks of the singers like in pop music. Many people even call this kind of music pop metal. I think the bands in this genre do care a lot about how their front lady looks. Most of the fan comments on their facebook or last.fm pages are about how beautiful the singer is. My friend is a huge fan of Epica because he thinks Simone is hot. I don't think he would've listened to the band much if he didn't find her so attractive. Most of the fans of the genre seem to have a similar mindset. So I do believe looks absolutely matter for these "female fronted metal" bands even though you and I might not care about it.

Napalm_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:54 pm 

I can't help but feel that with most bands of this type the frontwoman is the reason some check out the band in the first place (great for YT thumbnails and cover art) but then they stick around for the music itself, should they like it. The following Delain has amassed over time would suggest that this happened, but even then I think they had an initial push of support by virtue of Martijn's previous band.

Cryptic Writings.

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:37 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Man, critiquing the looks of singers in popular bands sure is fucking trashy.

That was not about critiquing any look, that was about saying goth bands are only popular because of their front women, which is bullshit. It's like saying people get into Gorgoroth because they look 'Satanic'.
Diamhea wrote:
OlderBudweiser wrote:
I don't think you can deny Clémentine Delauney is indeed more beautiful than Charlotte.

She's not even close dude, get your eyes checked.

Sorry, dude but I guess it'd be better if we agreed to disagree.
Xlxlx wrote:
Discussing the looks of singers is lame. Do people talk about the cooking skills of models? No? Well, what d'ya know, it's because they don't fucking matter.

Yes, this.
Purabid wrote:
But symphonic/gothic metal is kinda targeted towards an audience who do care about looks of the singers like in pop music. Many people even call this kind of music pop metal. I think the bands in this genre do care a lot about how their front lady looks

This is stupid. Based on this I guess I should enjoy new Tristania, which I don't.
Purabid wrote:
My friend is a huge fan of Epica because he thinks Simone is hot

I still struggle to get into Epica but I fail basically for the same reason why I can't get into "Endless Forms Most Beautiful".
Napalm_Satan wrote:
I can't help but feel that with most bands of this type the frontwoman is the reason some check out the band in the first place (great for YT thumbnails and cover art) but then they stick around for the music itself, should they like it.

And this.

Last edited by Lich Coldheart on Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:14 pm 

that ain't my quote bruh. i wouldn't be friends with someone who liked Epica

ambient
drone
noise for your girlfriend
last.fm

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:48 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
that ain't my quote bruh. i wouldn't be friends with someone who liked Epica

Sorry, bruh. It's fixed now.

Dettigers
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:43 pm 

Purabid wrote:
But symphonic/gothic metal is kinda targeted towards an audience who do care about looks of the singers like in pop music. Many people even call this kind of music pop metal. I think the bands in this genre do care a lot about how their front lady looks. Most of the fan comments on their facebook or last.fm pages are about how beautiful the singer is. My friend is a huge fan of Epica because he thinks Simone is hot. I don't think he would've listened to the band much if he didn't find her so attractive. Most of the fans of the genre seem to have a similar mindset. So I do believe looks absolutely matter for these "female fronted metal" bands even though you and I might not care about it.

I should really be turned off of Delain then because of Charlottes whole nose ring. I have seen hot women with nose rings and it's a turn off heck I don't even like the whole tattoo thing either.

As for your friend liking Epica because Simone is hot. I like kind of like I don't know I enjoy Epicas music but these days meh Simone does nothing for me and I wish they would really pull back a bit more on there sound.

And I will be honest I don't like Clémentine Delauney, or Liv or I don't know name me a few more I don't like them or there bands.

Out side of Delain and Nightwish and to a a point Epica these days if they music sucks I don't care how hot the singer is. I'm looking at Arch Enemy here.

So yeah out side of two kind of three bands throwing a hot chick in front will do nothing for me if the music blows.

Quote:
I can't help but feel that with most bands of this type the frontwoman is the reason some check out the band in the first place (great for YT thumbnails and cover art) but then they stick around for the music itself, should they like it. The following Delain has amassed over time would suggest that this happened, but even then I think they had an initial push of support by virtue of Martijn's previous band.

Ding ding ding we have a winner. I mean let's be honest there is a reason they got other people to sing on that first album aside from it just being a project. But add to it that Martijn was in WT and they got Sharon and yeah they took off because of that. These days there are people that are put off of Charlotte's looks because of her noise ring and then she cut her hair short. So yeah take Martijn out and Delain does not go any where.

The Red Tower
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:16 am 

Hell yeah this thread devolves into a discussion about hot singers/bandmembers?
You should all then check out Blackthorn: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Blackthorn/98630

I'd say a band is of course not to be judged by the way the members look but come on, if the frontwoman is beautiful and sings at gigs only with a bra on and nothing but some kinda fur coat on top of that, how will that not attract (male) listeners? They won't automatically fall in love with the music but having a beautiful girl in your band can be a bonus (and Delain has two now...).

I talked to both Charlotte and Clémentine (at a Melted Space gig) and if I had to choose between them based on their looks I'd instantly go for Charlotte, simply as a matter of taste. Clémentine is pretty tall also, at least taller than me (which is easy...).

So back on topic: I'll get the new album and I actually got into Delain's music because it's so epically catchy and Charlotte's silky smooth voice. They ruled live as well btw.

OlderBudweiser
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:49 am 

I also have a problem with beautiful women who "destroy" their bodies with tattoos and piercings. Quite the turn-off, especially with Charlotte. What the f. was she thinking.

OT: I happen to like the music from Delain, but sometimes they balance a bit much between "pop" and metal.

Dettigers
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:52 pm 

OlderBudweiser wrote:
I also have a problem with beautiful women who "destroy" their bodies with tattoos and piercings. Quite the turn-off, especially with Charlotte. What the f. was she thinking.

OT: I happen to like the music from Delain, but sometimes they balance a bit much between "pop" and metal.

I would say it's metal that they infused the pop sound with. Unlike Amaranthe who ware nothing but really just pop and they there in some heavy sounds.

The pop in Delain comes from Charlotte.

Quote:
Hell yeah this thread devolves into a discussion about hot singers/bandmembers?
You should all then check out Blackthorn: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Blackthorn/98630

Meh they do nothing for me.

Quote:
I'd say a band is of course not to be judged by the way the members look but come on, if the frontwoman is beautiful and sings at gigs only with a bra on and nothing but some kinda fur coat on top of that, how will that not attract (male) listeners? They won't automatically fall in love with the music but having a beautiful girl in your band can be a bonus (and Delain has two now...).

As I said the noise ring and tattoos can turn people off no matter how hot people say she is or if she wears a Bar or fake fur coat on stage or not.

Look at In This Moment. My they suck OK they kind of had two good albums kind of. Then they took a noise dive and suck so much that I don't care how hot people say Maria is. Her ego make her ugly as hell. So not matter what Charlotte wears or dose not wear. So people are turned off by the noise ring and tattoo she has.

I liked her before any ways and still like her now and after meeting her I like how kind she is to the fans hell the whole band is really good with the fans. So that's more of the reason for me liking Delain then how hot Charlotte is or is not.

It's also why Blackthorn, Arch Enemy, Within Temptation, In this Moment, and what ever other band with a female singer do nothing for me

As of late the only bands I find myself really into are Delain, Nightwish, Unleash the Archers to a point, and The Agonist or at lest the new Agonist. Epica is on the cliff for me if I don't feel anything from there new album I don't see myself lasting much longer as a fan. Xandria I liked there old stuff. Neverworld's End was shocker and really good. There new album meh I don't care how hot Dianne is does nothing for me when the rest of the album is just meh.

So when I have to go to hardrock bands to get a fix of women in bands that's kind of sad for metal music. I mean only four bands that I really enjoy one on the cliff and the other is just meh.

Yeah I will stick with Delain, Nightwish, Unleash the Archers to a point, and The Agonist. Because A) They I like the music female singer aside. B) They also write lyrics I can get into. I wish people would get into the bands because they like the music and not how hot the singer is. I will point to as a side note Edenbridge. Sabine Edelsbacher is not the best singer no is she that good looking. What I enjoy about them is that Lanvall is one of my favorite guitar players and has wrote some very great solos and in fact at times I see them as even better then Nightwish but ever underrated.

Last edited by Dettigers on Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Napalm_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:53 pm 

It is 'pop' in the sense that it is music that is streamlined, not challenging or aggressive at all and is designed to stick in the mind - but it isn't pop as in the genre. And regardless, it is great stuff.

Cryptic Writings.

tahu157
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:17 pm 

I hope there'll be some numbers in the vein of Sleepwalkers Dream from their debut, but they haven't done anything like that since, well, the debut. But hey, I can hope can't I?

Dettigers
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:54 pm 

tahu157 wrote:
I hope there'll be some numbers in the vein of Sleepwalkers Dream from their debut, but they haven't done anything like that since, well, the debut. But hey, I can hope can't I?

It's funny but I never gave that song much of a chance. After hearing it in Cleveland on there last date. It's my 2nd favorite song.

Chorus2:
A tear is only water
A sigh is only air
Whenever you feel haunted
The truth lies out there 2x

The 2nd chorus is what does it for me.

Napalm_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:57 pm 

When Charlotte holds out the 'there' on the second, higher chorus of the bridge then i just lose my mind :love: That is one of the best songs off of the debut, I don't think we'll get anything like that with this album, they've been moving away from that to give us cookers like 'My Masquerade' or 'Don't Let Go'.

Cryptic Writings.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:11 pm 

That "there" is triumphant, and "Shattered" has that final "Angels don't come home" that gives me chills. So good. That first album is different from the others in a good way.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next