Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
rosenberg
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 2:31 pm 

Not an original topic by any means, but situations change. Pretty much every single band from my bucket list has returned eventually at least in a live setting, from Celtic Frost to Mercyful Fate; from Unholy to Beherit; from Killing Joke to King Crimson. I’m not able to come up with a straight answer just yet.

Maybe this could be split into two categories
1. Bands you wish to return as recording artists
2. Bands you’d wish to see live at least once

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 4:57 pm 

Most of the reunions I want won't happen due to deaths. But there are three where all parties are alive:

Metal: Overkill with Bobby Gustafson
Nightwish with Jukka.

Non-metal: KMFDM w/Gunther Schulz and En Esch

Wrldeatr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 5:13 pm 

Bolt Thrower of course.

Children of Bodom with Alexander, Roope and Petri.

Vital Remains? I mean what exactly are they doing that qualifies as "active?"

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 5:15 pm 

Edguy
Avantasia is good, but Edguy has always been Tobi's superior project. It has the fun factor that Avantasia's missing, and I get the impression the other (Ed)guys acted as quality control.

Fear Factory (classic line up - Burton, Dino, Raymond, Christian)
Yeah, Burton's voice is shot. But he could try what Milo Silvestro does and use vocal effects on stage (he wasn't exactly averse to using studio magic on most of their albums) - it would maybe (hopefully?) make his voice passable enough. I don't ever expect this one though, as there's a lot of bad blood and Ray apparently doesn't even play drums anymore.

Lullacry
Some live shows with both vocalists (like they did for their farewell gigs) would be nice.

Non metal
Silverchair
Another doubtful one due to Daniel's mental health issues associated with the band, and the strained relationship with the other members. Don't know if they could recreate the magic if they did reunite, but they really were amazing when they were together.

Spineshank
All these nu metal bands getting back together recently, yet one of the best remains dormant. Some shows heavy on The Height of Callousness material would be ace.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 5:29 pm 

Wrldeatr wrote:
Bolt Thrower of course.

Came here to say this. I don't think it will happen anytime soon, but I would love to hear the stuff they were working on when they split up, and maybe some new material, or at least, get to catch them live.

Wrldeatr wrote:
Children of Bodom with Alexander, Roope and Petri.

CoB without Alexi Laiho feels off to me. Not to diminish the contribution of others, but he was the main pillar of this band.

Ivan Drago
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 5:52 pm 

I've no idea what the current status of the band is, but I'd love to see The Faceless if Michael Keene can ever get his shit together

StarshipTrooper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 6:22 pm 

I would say Nocturnal Rites.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 6:27 pm 

Strapping Young Lad. I don't want them to make new music, because Devin has said he doesn't have in him the anger and spite necessary to make that kind of music and be authentic with it anymore, but just one show with Devin, Jed, Byron, and Gene as SYL will allow me to die a happy man.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom/Black Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 6:39 pm 

Danzigs classic lineup final album/tour.

Mick mars and John corabi. Those youtube clips from a few years ago were way better than that shit solo album.

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 6:43 pm 

Reverend Bizarre

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 6:44 pm 

lordcatfish wrote:
Edguy
Avantasia is good, but Edguy has always been Tobi's superior project. It has the fun factor that Avantasia's missing, and I get the impression the other (Ed)guys acted as quality control.

This is the main one... they're not old at all and it's gotta happen eventually. One of the more fun PM bands to listen to.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 6:46 pm 

aaronmb666 wrote:

This one and the original Misfits reunion with Danzig, Doyle, Robo and Jerry. I don't know why they didn't do that already they all would win a lot of money out of playing their classics.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 8:00 pm 

Land of Mystery line-up of Black Hole.

Minotauri

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 9:52 pm 

I'd say there has been way too many reunions. Not many of these bands that make a come back after 30 years manage to live up to what once was.
That being said, Andreas Stoltz made a good come back but Hollow never really fulfilled their potential before they broke up. I would like to have more music from Persuader, but if the creative spark is gone, it's gone.

Tau75
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 1:07 am 

Morbid angel domination lineup could happen 2025 wish..

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 3:33 am 

FNM.

They do it well.

rosenberg
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 3:36 am 

I started thinking about this when checking Brutal Assault’s announcements for last year. They are giving these subtle hints that they will be announcing a black metal legend or a death doom legend etc. Then you start going through the lists of names in your head “Darkthrone, Burzum, Bathory, Beherit” or “diSEMBOWELMENT, Thergothon, Winter, Unholy” and realize that damn, most of the truly legendary players haven’t been in the game for quite some time.

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 3:40 am 

Weerwolf wrote:
Reverend Bizarre

Don't hold your breath. Hynninen recently announced his retirement from live performances, not to mention that RB are the few people I actually believe when they say it's over.

Ivan Drago
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 6:29 am 

Subrick wrote:
Strapping Young Lad. I don't want them to make new music, because Devin has said he doesn't have in him the anger and spite necessary to make that kind of music and be authentic with it anymore, but just one show with Devin, Jed, Byron, and Gene as SYL will allow me to die a happy man.

I was at Bloodstock years ago when Fear Factory when they still had Gene and Byron played, and Devin was on the same day. I really thought they might come out and do a song with Dev, but I guess that was when he was still really against any SYL stuff.

He seems to have loosened up since and has thrown Love? and Detox into some sets every now and then, but I'd be very surprised if a reunion show ever happened

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 6:34 am 

traxan wrote:
Metal: Overkill with Bobby Gustafson

Good call. Overkill has released many solid albums since Bobby's departure but nothing nearly as interesting as what he played on. Guy is sorely missed in that band.

Disembodied
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 6:51 am 

Bal-Sagoth. Not interested in live shows, just get back in the studio and make an album.

alktrash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 8:02 am 

Bolt Thrower & Dismember for LPs

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 8:09 am 

Definitely agree on Bal-Sagoth and Bolt Thrower. I get the feeling that Byron Roberts isn't terribly interested in getting the band back together though.

Regarding Bolt Thrower I'm not really holding my breath though. They never release any merch and haven't released new music for 20 years. They've given no indication that they're ever getting back together.

NewColdWarrior
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 8:11 am 

I was waiting for the Dark Angel reunion album, but at this point I don't know if I want one. They're all pushing 60, if they're not there already. I need youth in my thrash.

rosenberg
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 8:54 am 

Zerberus wrote:
Definitely agree on Bal-Sagoth and Bolt Thrower. I get the feeling that Byron Roberts isn't terribly interested in getting the band back together though.

Regarding Bolt Thrower I'm not really holding my breath though. They never release any merch and haven't released new music for 20 years. They've given no indication that they're ever getting back together.

In the Cult Never Dies Zine book Byron sounds quite optimistic that the band will return one day, and it won’t be one album but three, since the band has always been about trilogies. I don’t remember the year but Kull had already started.

I don’t know what that optimism is worth. Already if you’re 40+ years old, not active in the music biz, you have creative conflicts within the band and you’re going to tell me that “now is not the right time, but you wait and see, one day we will give you a full trilogy” you will sound like an ass, because at that age going for a single pint with your old bandmates on Saturday is a multiyear project.

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 9:11 am 

Gorefest - both as recording and live artists.
Anata - I know there have been hints on them working on a new album for a while, but so far nothing has surfaced.
Bolt Thrower - I could do without new records, but I'd love to catch them live at least once.

alktrash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 9:13 am 

another one who is "back" but silent, Coroner, and some others like DRI and others that I can see on live posters in US but no news for release

yes long silence, technical changes, life, job, everything's very different now
I was also almost saying Dark Angel, and maybe Living Death
some got bizarre return, Atrophy for example

hm and I read few years ago about new material by Lard but nothing came out

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 10:52 am 

Wrldeatr wrote:
Bolt Thrower of course.

I have zero issues with them getting another drummer, Andy Whale preferably. I liked Kiddie but my favorite BT albums had Whale on drums.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 12:46 pm 

alktrash wrote:
I was also almost saying Dark Angel, and maybe Living Death
some got bizarre return, Atrophy for example

Well DA is a non-starter with Jim Durkin's death recently.

As for Atrophy, Lykins has a thriving career as a doctor. He has no time for the band now.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 12:49 pm 

SanPeron wrote:
aaronmb666 wrote:

This one and the original Misfits reunion with Danzig, Doyle, Robo and Jerry. I don't know why they didn't do that already they all would win a lot of money out of playing their classics.

There is a Spanish-language Robo documentary out there. I never saw the whole thing but I did see the trailer and in it Robo was trying to get in touch with Jerry when he heard about the reunion with Glenn. I would venture to say that if he did get ahold of the band that he was rebuked. I like Robo and all, but his presence would not make them anymore money than they are making now with Lombardo.

I think its safe to say that an original line-up Danzig reunion will never happen. Glenn isn't interested and/or has issues with Eerie and supposedly Chuck can't physically do it (and Eerie says he won't do it without Chuck and John).

NewColdWarrior wrote:
I was waiting for the Dark Angel reunion album, but at this point I don't know if I want one. They're all pushing 60, if they're not there already. I need youth in my thrash.

I've been wondering what has the hold up with this one. I know Durkin passed but they'd been playing without him for some time before that and it certainly sounds like they have material.

King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 1:57 pm 

Coroner, it's been 10 years now and still no album?

We could have a thread for the opposite, reunions we wish didn't happen.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 4:18 pm 

Diamond - Sherman - Denner
Would love to see them reunite (all three) to wind down their career, releasing new music, and kicking ass to the end.

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 5:09 pm 

traxan wrote:
Nightwish with Tarja

Fixed that for you.

Period

The greatest post in M-A history:

~Guest 21181 wrote:
The Legions of the Teabagged:
vacantmind - DURR GOATSE IS FOONY (If you meet this guy, please pour hot lead down his anus).

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 6:10 pm 

Bolt Thrower!
The only band I'd really make an effort to see nowadays - I've pretty much already seen everything I'd want to see, most several times. Never got to see BT though (or Dio :( )

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 6:30 pm 

I want a reunion of Martin era Sabbath under a different name (like Heaven & Hell was for Dio era Sabbath, maybe call it Headless Cross or something). Iommi, Martin, and Neil Murray at least would likely all do it and maybe they could get Bobby Rondinelli or Eric Singer on drums since Cozy's not with us anymore (RIP).

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 7:20 pm 

KaiKasparek wrote:
traxan wrote:
Nightwish with Tarja

Fixed that for you.

No I meant what I wrote. I miss Jukka's drumming. Floor is more than an adequate replacement.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 7:22 pm 

Metallic Shock wrote:
I want a reunion of Martin era Sabbath under a different name (like Heaven & Hell was for Dio era Sabbath, maybe call it Headless Cross or something). Iommi, Martin, and Neil Murray at least would likely all do it and maybe they could get Bobby Rondinelli or Eric Singer on drums since Cozy's not with us anymore (RIP).

I would love that, but they are really veterans now, I think Iommi hanged up the guitar for good and I understand him, they have been playing music since the fucking 1960s. But we may have a chance of that actually happening, this is straight up from the Black Sabbath Wikipedia page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Martin_(British_singer)#Reunion_with_Iommi_and_Black_Sabbath_re-releases

Quote:
In January 2016 Martin announced on his Facebook page that he "was greeted by Tony Iommi VERY warmly" at the unveiling of the Cozy Powell memorial (also attended by Neil Murray) and that they may work together again. Shortly after Iommi himself announced his intention to work with Tony Martin again. Iommi said: "We've held back on the reissues because of the current Sabbath thing with Ozzy, but they will certainly be happening. I'd like to do a couple of new tracks for those releases [Headless Cross and Tyr] with Tony Martin. I'll also be looking at working on Cross Purposes and Forbidden." In January 2024, Tony Iommi confirmed that the Martin-era box set is coming out in May 2024. The box set will be called Anno Domini 1989–1995.

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 8:23 pm 

Sieges Even - Holzworth bros + Markus Steffan and Arno Menses on vocals. While fantasizing exact same line up but with Jogi Kaiser on vocals.

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 12:36 am 

SanPeron wrote:
I think Iommi hanged up the guitar for good

He most certainly did not.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 9:52 am 

At this point, I’m fine with bands not coming back when they’re gone. Things have more value when they die and stay dead. That said, I would love to see Fates Warning, Nightwish, and Anthrax be given the Pumpkins United treatment.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next