Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
OverMario
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:44 am 

Hello,

Recently a slam death metal "band" called Hypergammaglobulinemia (that I will just call "Hyper" by now, because their name is as painful to write as is their "music" to listen) entered the Archives: https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Hy ... 3540542835 (you'll find there the link to their Spotify if you want to make your mind about it). This "band" is presented as a female-fronted Japanese trio.

This "band" makes me ask a lot of questions and I thought it might be interesting to discuss that with you. The band picture look insanely AI-generated (I achieved similar results on Midjourney by prompting something related to three Japanese people with "dark red sludge" on their faces). Their "music" sounds also insanely AI-generated, by a site called Suno AI (which is free, if you want to test it for yourself, you'll notice similar result as with their stuff). I won't describe further their music, you really need to hear it for yourself (and I already made a review on the Archives lol).

For some reason the band gained a lot of hype on social medias (I suppose they used paid ads) and... dozens if not hundreds of people express their deep love for them and praise them for being an insane band.

Not only does it makes me question the sanity of the average slam death metal fan to really enjoy this type of SHIT (I love slam, but its fanbase has gotten more and more stupid by the year)... but also, it makes me question: is an AI band legit? Of course I'm open to the discussion. I'm seeing tons of people online saying they'll boycott bands who use AI artwork instead of paying an artist, but the same people are praising AI-generated music and say they'll buy their merch and CDs as soon as they made some. I find it concerning, because the quality of this "music" is VERY low and if this is what death metal has been reduced to... I think I'm gonna become the harshest gatekeeper I know.

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:57 am 

It's a genuinely stupid name. Reminds me of Letterman saying Zingalamaduni.

Period

The greatest post in M-A history:

~Guest 21181 wrote:
The Legions of the Teabagged:
vacantmind - DURR GOATSE IS FOONY (If you meet this guy, please pour hot lead down his anus).

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:26 pm 

I haven't listened to the band, and probably won't ever do so, for the simple reason that even what other people consider "Good" slam-death metal sounds terrible to me, and if this band is that much worse than the good stuff, well...

But what you describe seems to be a growing problem in the digital age- there is just so much fake shit out there now. It's hard to know what to trust and what not to, what is real and what isn't, its like all this technology is starting to be more of a curse than a blessing. I will never support AI anything- at least, not intentionally and that's the problem; I don't want to even do so unintentionally.

Disembodied
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:40 pm 

KaiKasparek wrote:
It's a genuinely stupid name. Reminds me of Letterman saying Zingalamaduni.

It's no stupider than any of the other pathological band names. And probably a lot less stupid than "Gorguts".

Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:51 pm 

This caught my attention as a (somewhat) avid listener of slam so I decided to put a couple of the tracks on in the background. I guess musically it's not bad. The occasional lapse into 'more BDM than slam', but there's occasional glimmers of something redolent of Jenovavirus, a touch of the industrial, which was unexpected. Otherwise, nothing all that noteworthy. I'd have to actually give it a real listen to say much else but slam isn't exactly known for its nuance-- if good slam is playing I don't have to listen intently to know it's good.

Those vocals are... uh, something. Sometimes they actually sound kind of impressive and unique, but a lot of the time, pretty grating.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:28 pm 

It could be IA, the drums are definitely digitally programmed. The only weird thing is the vocals.

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:57 pm 

I guess it's kinda cool that this is possible now, but it's not something I would ever listen to. I remember years ago an early neural network or something that was trained on Archspire, it just shat out a bunch of nonsense including a 3 minute digital cymbal solo at like 300 bpm lol. I don't really care for it though, nor am I upset by anything AI-related in the world of metal. I'm primarily a drummer so I think it's quite silly how some people's panties got so bunched up by "fake" AI album art, considering how "fake" the drums are on 95% of new albums. Not to mention guitar parts that are cobbled together from 100 different takes, just like how AI programs cobble together 100 different images.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:52 am 

There's already too much shitty music made by people, now we have to also wade through offal pits of AI generated garbage?

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:43 am 

Zerberus wrote:
There's already too much shitty music made by people, now we have to also wade through offal pits of AI generated garbage?

We don't have to wade through either.

Unless you're a Metal Archives moderator, which I can only imagine is a thankless chore even as is. :ugh:

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:39 pm 

you know, im not so sure. im pretty decent at recognizing AI pictures and that one doesn't really set off any alarm bells for me. the artwork COULD be AI, but they did a good job of editing around the typical obvious drawbacks of AI art, so it's hard to tell. THAT BEING SAID, it being AI art doesnt actually mean anything because real bands verifiably made up of real artists have used AI art. i want to say no, the music isnt AI, at least not without a lot of heavy human involvement. would AI be able to consistently create such a weird vocal tone? that being said, those vocals DO sound very heavily processed and edited so it IS possible theyre just samples cooked up by a computer. further, this style of music lends itself to being written by AI because of how loose the song structures can be. just slap some riffs together and call it good.

it really sucks that AI has led to us having to question so much about what used to just exist as-is. is this funny meme AI? is this supposed old family picture AI? is this cool piece of art AI? its also probably not great for this band that there are legitimate questions regarding whether theyre even a real band.

357scum
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:13 pm 

The album artwork is definitely AI.
The music? Weird as hell. Those vocals are fucked lmao. I reckon they're AI for sure, and on the off chance they're not, they're overprocessed as hell.
The way pretty much all the gutturals are in the same tone/key/cadence are a giveaway for me. That, and the weird fax machine tone on some vocals too???
I hate this so much, it genuinely sounds like shit apart from the drums tbh

The band pictures I think are fake too.
Check this out:
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=122126835518226938&set=pb.61556808153683.-2207520000

There's a piece of blood on her cheek which seems to turn into a strand of hair, idk it's all wrong and feels off to me

There are also little to no results for them on google, just facebook and spotify from what I saw.

SanctuaryCat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 6:12 am 

I am a fan of Kettlecore.

alktrash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 7:04 am 

this band doesn't seems to exist out of facebook and here
no videos found, rating is very low

i could believe slam fans being stupid (nah i don't know) but I could also believe that comment are fake aswell

and for what i unerstood the name is refering to something not so terrible, not as terrible as it should be

gabalgabow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 11:55 am 

I used to programm industrial/ digital grindcore stuffs on some music softwares...

For me this is not AI generated music,
it's more like they used some strange samples instead of a part of the vocals (Larsens etc)

Sometimes sounds a bit like glitch brutal death (Like old Whourkr)
http://nihilistic-webzine-distro.fr

Reply to topic