* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:31 am 

King_of_Arnor wrote:
draconiondevil wrote:
Overkill - Feel the Fire. Following the trend of debut albums from thrash bands, while The Years of Decay is my favourite Overkill album, Feel the Fire is a close second. I liken this one to Show No Mercy in its speed and melody not found on the band's later work.

This one is my favourite Overkill and I don't think they topped it despite having many more great albums.

Feel the Fire is so good. If I didn't love The Years of Decay so much it would be #1 for sure.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:33 pm 

draconiondevil wrote:
Slayer - Show No Mercy

This is actually more common than you think as peoples' top Slayer pick.

goetia_unreleased
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:52 pm 

MorbidEngel wrote:
draconiondevil wrote:
Slayer - Show No Mercy

This is actually more common than you think as peoples' top Slayer pick.

What about the rap album Diabolus in Musica?

The_Carcass
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:19 pm 

Carcass - Swansong

Darkthrone - Soulside Journey

Forever Underground
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:50 pm 

draconiondevil wrote:
Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny. Usually people choose Painkiller, Screaming for Vengeance, British Steel or Stained Class over Sad Wings but for me it's their best album.

In a ranking it would be my top 2 after Stained Class, a genre-defining classic

draconiondevil wrote:
Cirith Ungol - Paradise Lost. Very unpopular opinion, but I actually think Paradise Lost is Cirith Ungol's best album. The opening riff of Join the Legion is what heavy metal is about and after that the album is full of great songs.

Hard agree, it's a totally underrated album even by Cirith Ungol themselves, you can tell they didn't have a good time during the production and recording process. "Fallen Idols" is one of their best songs ever!

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:00 pm 

Vicious Rumors - Sadistic Symphony. Don't care for their other albums.

Ukrajijajajana
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:47 am 

There are a lot of albums that people here have already mentioned and I will second those:

Iron Maiden - The X Factor
Iced Earth - The Glorious Burden
Dissection - Reinkaos
In Flames - Clayman
Nokturnal Mortum - Nechrist
My Dying Bride - Light at the end of the world

Then some others mentioned two albums in particular which to me are actually my favourite albums from the band in their entire discography:

Cannibal Corpse - Vile
I really have no idea why this album is given such disregard. It's basically The Bleeding part 2 but with better vocals, the perfect marriage of their old and new sounds

Running Wild - The Rivalry
I really don't care how many people will endlessly felate albums like Port Royal or Death or Glory (don't get me wrong, those albums rule) but The Rivalry 100% deserves to mentioned in exactly the same breath as any of those albums. And for my money, this is the best record the band has ever done.

Here are a couple of mentions I haven't seen yet:

Savatage - Edge of Thorns
I absolutely love the emotive guitar work on this record and this is probably my favourite Zak Stevens performance, period

Slayer - Undisputed Attitude
A really great swift kick in the pants and one of the only "covers only" records that I still play regularly. Never understood the hate

Hamerfall - Renegade
Don't actually know why I love this record as much as I do since it's inferior to the first two but it's just so damn catchy that I cannot stop humming the songs for days on end after a listen

David_Brent
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:51 am 

Cradle of Filth - Thornography
Still undecided how good the album is as a whole, but it definitely has it's moments

Cannibal Corpse - Bloodthirst
My favorite release by them

Immortal - Damned in Black
Right now my second favorite (Pure Holocaust is still no1)

Therion - Beyond Sanctorum
Depending on who you ask... This is for me head and shoulders above the symphonic stuff

I also like the mentioned Kill 'em all, Given to the Rising and Show No Mercy a lot.

Non-Metal:
AC/DC - Let There be Rock
The Flower Kings - The Rainmaker
King Crimson - Lizard
Taylor Swift - debut

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:16 am 

Ukrajijajajana wrote:
I absolutely love the emotive guitar work on this record and this is probably my favourite Zak Stevens performance, period

I think this one might be slightly divisive among those who love the old stuff, but it's really a masterpiece and has just stunning show-stopper after show-stopper. Great all around. This was where they really balanced the riffs and the classier, more sophisticated stuff the best, with everything becoming a tour de force.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:42 am 

I'm still convinced that The Chasm's From the Lost Years... is the band's peak. Less flashy and more down to earth, it's a cinematic death metal epic that takes the listener on an introspective journey. I like some of the band's later works too, but none of them come close to this one.

Cynic's demo from 1990 is one of the best death metal demos ever and it's easy to see where Death got his inspiration from by the time he had released Human. It also beats the crap out of Focus.

Darkthrone's Goatlord is one of the best DT albums. Yeah, the production isn't ideal... but the music is freakin' brilliant.

I'd advise you to hold off on what is likely to be a negative review and give this album the perspective it deserves.

HighwayCorsair
Knows a guy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:31 am 

Some of you are REALLY not understanding the post and are just taking the opportunity to rant about your favorite albums that are really well liked by literally everyone, haha
Owner Nameless Grave Records.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:16 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Ukrajijajajana wrote:

I think this one might be slightly divisive among those who love the old stuff, but it's really a masterpiece and has just stunning show-stopper after show-stopper. Great all around. This was where they really balanced the riffs and the classier, more sophisticated stuff the best, with everything becoming a tour de force.

Edge of Thorns was the easiest Savatage album for me to get into back in the day. Gutter Ballet was my first exposure to them but I find the awkward transitional moments make it tricky for a first time listener. EoT feels so much more realized in comparison and Stevens suits the symphonic style better than Jon for the most part

Mountain
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:22 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
The Graveyard is weird because that's seriously in the running for my favorite King Diamond story. It's not perfect (the climax is some cornball shit) but I thought the atmosphere and imagery was really evocative and interesting, just a shame that it's kinda aimless musically.

The story is so visual when listening to the album. Has a real gothic tone, more so than most of his albums. I think the "cheesiness" of some of the tracks ("Sleep Tight Little Baby", "Daddy", "Up From The Grave") is what is off putting to most, but I personally loved it. Production could be argued as well. I'm probably bias to this album as I bought it right when it came out and played the hell out of it.

But I don't know how KD fans skip songs like "Trick or Treat", "Digging Graves", and "Lucy Forever".

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:57 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Edge of Thorns was the easiest Savatage album for me to get into back in the day. Gutter Ballet was my first exposure to them but I find the awkward transitional moments make it tricky for a first time listener. EoT feels so much more realized in comparison and Stevens suits the symphonic style better than Jon for the most part

The 80s material has some incredible highlights, and sometimes I'm really more in the mood for the dirty, feral riffs, but Edge of Thorns is almost unquestionably the best one for me. I love the bluesy rock stuff mixed with the symphonics, and the lyrical aesthetic is really unlike anything else. Zak is such a great singer and this was one of the only times when the music was as good as his vocals too.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:42 pm 

Mountain wrote:
I think the "cheesiness" of some of the tracks ("Sleep Tight Little Baby", "Daddy", "Up From The Grave") is what is off putting to most...

It's this, exactly. Two-thirds of that album is outstanding, and I love the production. But the silliness goes a little bit too far.
Some of it borders on parody, as if some King Diamond hater decided to mock him.

The "die die die die diiiieeee" screams at the end of "I Am" are silly (and it's an otherwise tremendous, great song).

There are no bad KD albums, but some of "Graveyard" is cringe-worthy.

Dr_Funf
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:22 am 

I'm surprised My Dying Bridge - The Light at the End of the World has come up, but if it is the case then I'm also going to count it. I think MDB made one mistake in using Sear Me III as the closing track, which is an awful song and should not have been included on the record at all, but ending on that note can alter the listener's perception of the album.

LUCIFORUS
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:46 am 

Destroyer of Worlds by Bathory (So much material of good quality)
Goatlord by Darkthrone (Raw as shit, I also love the vocals)

Durag
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:25 am 

Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier - I am genuinely baffled this doesnt get the love it deserves. Its the most varied, well rounded of all post reunion Maiden, has shorter rockers, throwback to old Maiden, epics and more progressive songs. The chorus repetition of BNW DOD is gone and its a lot more varied than AMOLAD. I think the intro at the beginning threw people off initially

Slayer - Diabolus In Musica. I get why people dont like it but fuck it, i enjoy it

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:42 pm 

alteredstate wrote:
Morbid Angel - Heretic.
The production is questionable, but in an odd way it gives the album this sort of psychedelic dream-like quality that I love.

Those guitars do conjure up a sort of fever dream. I like it.

Purveyor of absolute bastardry.

Only_Perception wrote:
I guess most people here are just standard copy pastes more concerned with defending the honor of celebrities than thinking about music.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:51 pm 

Durag wrote:
Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier - I am genuinely baffled this doesnt get the love it deserves. Its the most varied, well rounded of all post reunion Maiden, has shorter rockers, throwback to old Maiden, epics and more progressive songs. The chorus repetition of BNW DOD is gone and its a lot more varied than AMOLAD. I think the intro at the beginning threw people off initially

I think this will eventually have a change in opinion like we've seen with No Prayer/FOTD and X Factor... it's a really good album and has quite a lot going on; definitely their best post-80s release.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:44 am 

My opinion on The Final Frontier has changed a lot since release. I was quite disappointed initially, but I've grown to like it a fair bit over the years. I still think it could be better sequenced (all the 'epic' songs are in the latter half) though, and I'd lose a song or two (I'd cut the Satellite 15 intro, and maybe The Man Who Would Be King).

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:39 am 

lordcatfish wrote:
My opinion on The Final Frontier has changed a lot since release. I was quite disappointed initially, but I've grown to like it a fair bit over the years. I still think it could be better sequenced (all the 'epic' songs are in the latter half) though, and I'd lose a song or two (I'd cut the Satellite 15 intro, and maybe The Man Who Would Be King).

Isle of Avalon, Starblind and The Talisman are great.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:34 am 

I absolutely love the way they had the tracks arranged. The epics are all really different and it becomes a good flow of things.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:47 am 

I still can't get into that one past The Alchemist and Coming Home.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:15 am 

I just really like "Imaginaerum" by Nightwish. I'm sorry, folks. The one part of the album I can't stand is the *7 minutes* of shitty spoken word poetry near the end... but other than that, I love it in all its over-the-top Disney rock glory. It doesn't beat "Oceanborn" for me but whatever.

I also dig "One Second" by Paradise Lost. It's not my favorite PL album, but it's incredibly catchy and fun to sing along with. I still really like it... and it's in my top 5 of their discography, at least, lol.

"Godspeed on the Devil's Thunder" is clearly the best of the Paul Allender-written Cradle of Filth albums post-"Midian". Definitely faster and more aggressive than "Nymphetamine" and "Thornography", and more symphonic too. Maybe they went a little overboard with the sheer amount of Doug Bradley spoken word bits... but I'm always up for hearing the voice of Pinhead, thus I don't mind.

Durag
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:42 am 

lordcatfish wrote:

The Man Who Would Be King is one of my favourites on that album. I remember people complaining about 3 epics at the end, but The Man Who Would Be King is just a traditional verse chorus verse chorus song, with the quiet into and outro.

But yes, the intro probably could be cut.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:18 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
lordcatfish wrote:

Indeed. The weakest song is the title track, IMO. And that's not a bad song by any stretch.
Killer album.

jose_G
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:09 am 

Iron maiden- the x factor and virtual
Judas priest- Nostradamus
Bathory - Requiem, Nordlands
Slayer - Divine intervention

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:14 am 

Judas Priest - "Point Of Entry"
Like Turbo, there are some duds here, but the good stuff is phenomenal.

"Heading Out To the Highway", "Desert Plains", "Solar Winds", & "Hot Rockin'" are all stellar...classic Priest tracks.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:34 am 

Benedict Donald wrote:
Judas Priest - "Point Of Entry"
Like Turbo, there are some duds here, but the good stuff is phenomenal.

"Heading Out To the Highway", "Desert Plains", "Solar Winds", & "Hot Rockin'" are all stellar...classic Priest tracks.

Yep. Its a laid back more on the rock end of things but those are some excellent cuts. A good summer Priest album.

ChoujuX
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:43 am 

Turbo is probably my favorite Priest album. Definitely not their best, but easily one of the most enjoyable to listen to. It's a really fun album.

Mountain
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:20 pm 

ChoujuX wrote:
Turbo is probably my favorite Priest album. Definitely not their best.

Sorry but I laughed out loud at that line. If it's your favorite, wouldn't you consider it their best??

NoTruce
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:15 pm 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
I actually like and listen to both Clayman and Colony more than Whoracle by a longshot...

Not that it's a bad album, per say. I just think it's inferior to the aforementioned ones.

I'll probably get a lot of shit for this, but my favorite In Flames is Reroute. I like the turn they took at that point in time. Up until Come Clarity they were pretty sweet.

Evil Entity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:18 pm 

Speaking of Point of Entry, Halford would do a pretty good live version of "Solar Angels" when he was with Fight.

Hardworlder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:15 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
lordcatfish wrote:

Absolutely. Starblind is particularly excellent IMO.

Coming Home got me through some tough times, I'll always have a soft spot for that one.

Hardworlder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:18 am 

Mountain wrote:
ChoujuX wrote:
Turbo is probably my favorite Priest album. Definitely not their best.

Sorry but I laughed out loud at that line. If it's your favorite, wouldn't you consider it their best??

Nah.

Citizen Kane is objectively a better movie than Dumb and Dumber, but I enjoy D&D more lol.

Dr_Funf
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:26 am 

LycanthropeMoon wrote:
I just really like "Imaginaerum" by Nightwish. I'm sorry, folks. The one part of the album I can't stand is the *7 minutes* of shitty spoken word poetry near the end... but other than that, I love it in all its over-the-top Disney rock glory. It doesn't beat "Oceanborn" for me but whatever.

I agree with this, although I'm not sure it's an overly divisive album among Nightwish's fanbase (I tend to take MA review scores with a significant pinch of salt and then some) despite it deservedly losing a few people for that godawful spoken word crap in 'Song of Myself'. Most Nightwish fans I've met, myself included, consider Imaginaerum to be their best post-Tarja work.

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:45 am 

ColdJustice wrote:
Sodom - Tapping the Vein

This one for sure.

Immortal- Sons of Northern Darkness could go either way for the fandom. It's usually either Pure Holocaust or At The Heart Of Winter, but that's precisely why I love SOND. It's the brevity (with one or two exceptions) of PH with the production and grand scope of ATHOW.

Accept- Stalingrad
Overkill- The Electric Age

Period

The greatest post in M-A history:

~Guest 21181 wrote:
The Legions of the Teabagged:
vacantmind - DURR GOATSE IS FOONY (If you meet this guy, please pour hot lead down his anus).

HelluvaGuy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:05 pm 

Queensryche - Promised Land
Lush atmospheric production that flows from song to song.

necropsyalpha
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:47 pm 

For me its nile - in their darkened shrines

thats like the stand out from the band - i really find all their oother albums boring

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next