Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Raven_Augustus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:56 am 

Not sure if this was worthy a thread or not, but it's pretty significant in my eyes. I always thought that Hoest would be the new permanent vocalist after fronting the band onstage for over a decade. Gorgoroth is such a strange entity, most of the members since the Gaahl/King situation are studio-only, which makes the live lineup its own thing almost entirely.

Spoiler: show

Spoiler: show

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:01 am 

Better late than never, I suppose. Live performance itself was pretty good.

reimdaase
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:39 pm 

Really weird that Hoest didn't sing. His performance with Taake was astonishingly good at Inferno, maybe he wanted to "save" up for that?

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:09 pm 

Sounds like shit compared to Pest and Hoest, both of whom I’ve seen perform with Gorgoroth. Just really dislike this guy’s tame approach for such an intense black metal band. Gorgoroth barely even seems like a real band anymore - they don’t release new music, they haven’t changed their live setlist in 10+ years, I don’t even know who’s an actual member and who’s a session member at this point. Do they even have a real lineup? Everything about them suggests they’re just going through the motions.

Raven_Augustus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:24 pm 

It's really confusing. From what I gather since 2012 it's been Hoest and Infernus playing live, with a rotation of people playing bass, drums and second guitar. And before that I think it was only Infernus and Pest performing live consistently, because Tomas Asklund, Bøddel and Tormentor never play live. Hell, Tormentor never even performed on a studio album when he was listed as a guitarist on their homepage.

Osore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:23 pm 

I like his vocals from Triumfall's first LP and his cover art for Bròn's 2020 LP. This deep voice he's been using with Gorgoroth is just an average extreme metal tone. Hoest was better, but Pest and Ghaal are my favourite. Aara and early Hecate Enthroned also have that banshee sounding vocalists.

asphaalanx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:43 am 

Raven_Augustus wrote:
It's really confusing. From what I gather since 2012 it's been Hoest and Infernus playing live, with a rotation of people playing bass, drums and second guitar. And before that I think it was only Infernus and Pest performing live consistently, because Tomas Asklund, Bøddel and Tormentor never play live. Hell, Tormentor never even performed on a studio album when he was listed as a guitarist on their homepage.

Bøddel has passed, but he had played live with them before he did.

Confusing indeed.

Reply to topic