Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:18 pm 

I don't see a thread for this band and the hype machine is going full blast over at AMG (Angry Metal Guy).

I loved the last Barren Earth album from 40 years ago and Jon Aldara who's also in this band has a voice that really stands out from most vocalists IMO.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

hallowed78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:47 pm 

It seems the hype machine is stuck there on AMG. As I remember, they've had high praise for Támsins likam also, it ended being the album of the year or something. And here, that album ended in Rando corner for 2018.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:51 pm 

It's a very good album though. Not aware of any hype but I'm listening to it now and it is such a thick and convincing slab of Doom/Death. Can't easily draw comparisons but some of it favors the darker, morose vibes of Shape of Despair. Vocals are very good too.
Did you need a protection amulet?

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:58 pm 

The idea of altering death growls with lyrical singing is cool, but it's structured in a way in the album that the songs seem very similar to each other, I kind of understand that in metal is difficult to do an album with a variety of styles or sounds, but in this case, since it's a very melodic album that flaw is more noticeable.

It's very Nordic, you can tell that the guys are from the Faroe Islands (islands in the northern part of Denmark for those who don't know), it reminds me a lot of Borknagar and that style of Nordic metal. So, if you dig that kind of stuff, you will probably dig this. To me, it lacks some power, some groove, some riffs, some balls. So, I pass honestly, not my kind of shit.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:33 pm 

Yea, this really isn't doing it for me either.

Which is a bummer considering how much I liked the Barren Earth album.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Reply to topic