Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
7stringbuttplug
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:15 pm 

SanPeron wrote:
I don't know what happened to Chris's voice, the first four Cannibal Corpse albums are probably the most influential pieces of music that death metal has created, both commercially and musically, if you hear today's slam and brutal death metal is hard to not look back at those records. Those albums marked with blood the fundaments of death metal.

Yeah, we all know SFU is bad, but CC never released albums of the same influence and brutality as those first 4 albums. And I like Corpsegrinder, George Fisher is an awesome death metal singer, there is no doubt about that. But something in those four albums was dark, disturbing, and real, they were less gimmicky than modern CC is.

It baffles me that SFU has never tried to make an album that sounds like those first 4 CC albums. They claimed they were with Maximum Violence but it's totally different and I think Barnes hinted at it with Torment but again nothing like it. That said this recent obsession hardcore kids have with "Caveman Riff Death Metal" Barnes really fucked up by making the whole metal community hate him. SFU would be ultra popular these days if he took better care of his voice and if it wasn't for questionable behavior that is well documented.

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:15 am 

I've been going through SFU's back catalogue the last couple days to see if its as bad as people make it out to be, and its really not. I think a lot of the disappointment comes from the fact that this band has had several legends and talented death metal musicians over the years and they have always stuck to playing relatively simple death metal or deathnroll music, never really branching out to something more complex or refined, which does seem like a waste of talent. The 3 albums which I think are objectively their best - Undead Unborn and Crypt of the devil had some great musician's on them but unfortunately they haven't stuck with that style, reverting back to a simpler style, again.

I'm listening to NOTD and musically it isn't a bad album, it's pretty much those stupid squeeling EEEEEEEEE things that he does that ruins some parts. Musically it's not bad all, the riffs and drumming are tight, even some sweet harmonies at points. I don't think it deserves the sub 50% scores that people on here give it, I think a lot of people like to jump on bandwagons and parrot each other's views, not really giving it an objective listen. It's not that bad, and neither is this new song. It's a bit flat but not horrible.

markhebb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:28 am 

Gunslinger21 wrote:
I've been going through SFU's back catalogue the last couple days to see if its as bad as people make it out to be, and its really not. I think a lot of the disappointment comes from the fact that this band has had several legends and talented death metal musicians over the years and they have always stuck to playing relatively simple death metal or deathnroll music, never really branching out to something more complex or refined, which does seem like a waste of talent. The 3 albums which I think are objectively their best - Undead Unborn and Crypt of the devil had some great musician's on them but unfortunately they haven't stuck with that style, reverting back to a simpler style, again.

I'm listening to NOTD and musically it isn't a bad album, it's pretty much those stupid squeeling EEEEEEEEE things that he does that ruins some parts. Musically it's not bad all, the riffs and drumming are tight, even some sweet harmonies at points. I don't think it deserves the sub 50% scores that people on here give it, I think a lot of people like to jump on bandwagons and parrot each other's views, not really giving it an objective listen. It's not that bad, and neither is this new song. It's a bit flat but not horrible.

Agree with this- and I’d add the first few ‘Obituary light’ albums as well as among their best.

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:57 am 

Yeah man those weren't bad at all to be honest, it helps that they shared band members.

I'd like to see SFU go in another direction and try some longer songs, more technical riffs and have acoustic breaks, try a concept album or something. Break the mould a bit.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:50 am 

I binged Six Feet Under’s discography last year and found it to be more of a mixed bag than straight crap all the way through. Granted half of it is outright crap while Undead and Death Rituals were the pleasant surprises for me.

7stringbuttplug
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:31 pm 

I really like Maximum Violence, 13, Commandment and Death Rituals which are probably their most death n' roll albums. Sure they're super uncreative but I feel those offer a sound I don't get from most Death Metal bands and they're great background music. Only albums I find genuinely bad are Bringer of Blood and Nightmares of the Decomposed. Bringer has an unlistenable mix where Barnes takes up the whole mix and does overly voicey vocals and Nightamares is self explanatory.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:05 pm 

Steve Swanson was teasing new stuff a few months ago. I thought he was their best guitarist.

Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:30 am 

KrigareTjovane wrote:
Yeah that Amerika the Brutal song fucking blows, y'all got shit taste lol.

Zerberus wrote:
I swear SFU fans have the weirdest taste in death metal, the songs they choose to highlight are easily some of the worst that SFU have to offer

I'm well aware of satire not being that easy to get online, but c'mon, I'm kinda insulted the automatic assumption was I actually liked that song :aww: :lol:

It encapsulates this trash band though. A few decent albums here and there notwithstanding, it's been an [irony]impressive[/irony] run of utter shithousery.

7stringbuttplug
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:32 pm 

Just clicked that the Hair of the Dog cover is going to be grade A funny. Something about Barnes growling "SON OF A BITCH" is playing over and over in my head.

goetia_unreleased
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:55 pm 

7stringbuttplug wrote:
Just clicked that the Hair of the Dog cover is going to be grade A funny. Something about Barnes growling "SON OF A BITCH" is playing over and over in my head.

A son of a bitch 3rd generation
Schooled in the art of human strangulation
Only one thing will control my pain
That's to drink the blood of the insane

sinxyt
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:02 am 

SanPeron wrote:
Come on guys, if you didn't bang your head to this classic you probably hate death metal. Groovy and slow is the way this thing should be made.

pretty good riff but the vocals still kill me even at the seed of filth era

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:51 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRgmjl5358A
Ascension
Better than NNI. This album could be a big guilty pleasure for me.

goetia_unreleased
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:20 am 

aaronmb666 wrote:
Better than NNI.

Agreed. Sounds much more inspired both musically and vocally.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:27 am 

Musically, that track was pretty good. Vocally, though? Jesus that was awful.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3