Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
jose_G
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:52 am 

Ukrajijajajana wrote:
I'm one of those rare people who doesn't give two shits about The Stench of Redemption. It's obviously a good record but In Torment In Hell was soooo bad that I have a hard time taking anything after that seriously, sorry. I guess it's a psychological thing. I liked Ralph Santola as a person but his playing style don't fit the band at all. The only reason I even tried to care was Jack Owen, who I think is quite underrated as a guitar player. I think this band would have been better had David Suzuki stayed on guitar after that one live tour just after the Hoffmans left.

All the new stuff is alright, but I'll never play it on repeat. Whereas everything up to and including Serpents of the Light is in constant rotation, all these years later

totally agree!

democracyiscringe
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:04 am 

"Woke From God"

Best Deicide title since "Mad at God"

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:06 pm 

I have 0 faith in this.

I don't know if that is a good or bad thing for Glen Benton.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:35 pm 

democracyiscringe wrote:
"Woke From God"

Would Deicide be Deicide if Glen Benton wasn't writing from the perspective of an angry 13 year old boy that just discovered Anton LaVey for the first time?

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:08 pm 

Very happy with this album, just heard it thanks to metal-tracker.com, hows everyone else finding it? Ok not breaking much new ground but still deicide doing what they do best, solid musicianship so whoever Glen got in the new lineup hes recruited some talented players. Stand out tracks for me….from unknown heights you shall fall, faithless, bury the cross with your christ, woke from god, a trinity from none, the light defeated, to name a few. Those are the ones i remember well but honestly no real weak spots in the album at all. Nice one Glen! Course im going to support the band and buy an actual copy as soon as i can, they deserve it.

goetia_unreleased
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:45 pm 

mike_87 wrote:
Very happy with this album, just heard it thanks to metal-tracker.com, hows everyone else finding it? Ok not breaking much new ground but still deicide doing what they do best, solid musicianship so whoever Glen got in the new lineup hes recruited some talented players. Stand out tracks for me….from unknown heights you shall fall, faithless, bury the cross with your christ, woke from god, a trinity from none, the light defeated, to name a few. Those are the ones i remember well but honestly no real weak spots in the album at all. Nice one Glen! Course im going to support the band and buy an actual copy as soon as i can, they deserve it.

Glad to hear the album checks out. I purchased the last two Deicide albums so I will probably end up getting this one as well. Since I always rip my CDs into MP3s I'm going to have to find some alternate artwork to replace that goofy cover. I actually have 3 so far that I found on the internet, but I'm not fully satisfied with them.

Spediji
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:53 pm 

Im really upset about the album art being AI. As someone who draws alot it really sucks seeing so much music have AI covers now but other than that im very excited for this. Im one of the few people who dont really like the first 3 albums all that much and prefer their later stuff a bit more and from the singles ive heard this sounds like its gonna be pretty good
It's what you always wanted
This life is not worth living
The gift that keeps on giving
A fist of adulation
I accept the word of Satan

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:45 am 

Got a little more than halfway through and loving it. Only song thats meh to me is Sever the Tongue. FUHYSF sounds like a Slayer song, maybe from RIB? Ritual Defied couldve been on Legion. Cant wait to hear it in my car. As far as the cover, not terrible, but couldve been better. Not like theyve had a good cover in years.

Evil Entity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:26 pm 

The production is fantastic. I listened to it in between the new Accept and may actually prefer this.

Spediji
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:59 am 

Im a big fan of deicide but goddamn these arts, lyrics, and titles are getting so fucking boring and overdone. The riffs were okay and pretty good but most of the other stuff sucked i did enjoy vocals tho.
i didnt hate it its js kinda eh to me
It's what you always wanted
This life is not worth living
The gift that keeps on giving
A fist of adulation
I accept the word of Satan

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:51 pm 

First one I've heard by them in like over 10 years... pretty good actually, nice heavy, visceral ripping DM. Nothing really outstanding but it's fun. Shame the cover and whole aesthetic is such boring shit. That really does make a difference, having a good presentation and vibe, which this just doesn't ... but musically, it's not too shabby at all, got some good energy. I like the little melodic leads that pop up and there's a nice thrash kick to it all.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:20 pm 

Well this is quite a nice surprise. I really haven't cared for any Deicide since 'Serpents of the light' (no, not even Stench) but this sounds pretty good.
The previous album already showed a slight improvement and this one seems to follow that positive development, the main thing for me is that Glenn's vocals don't annoy me as much as on past records. It's like he finally realised that droning on and on is boring as hell and that it all works much better if he shuts up every now and then.

EDIT: I wrote this before I was halfway through the album. A couple of songs later he started doing my head in again and I had to stop it.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:05 am 

Thexhumed wrote:
jose_G wrote:
Maybe this can go into unpopular opinions, but since the serpents of the light deicide it doesn't do anything interesting.

You don't think The Stench of Redemption is any good?

I really liked Stench. A modern semi classic.

Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:11 am 

Lee Harrison wrote:
Argh we are returning at the nineties with the horrors of Photoshop…

Seriously! That's what it looks like to me, not AI.

Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:13 am 

LycanthropeMoon wrote:
democracyiscringe wrote:
"Woke From God"

Would Deicide be Deicide if Glen Benton wasn't writing from the perspective of an angry 13 year old boy that just discovered Anton LaVey for the first time?

Maybe, but the early stuff was creative, most of the post 1st 3 albums sound like Deicide on auto-pilot.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:37 am 

Pretty solid musically but Glenn still sound unintentionally funny, as is typical with his vocals.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:41 pm 

It's better than what I thought it would be. This is no Legion, Deicide's first album or Once Upon the Cross but is better than In Torment in Hell and other worst stuff that Glen Benton has composed, this is fine, regular death metal, nothing too crazy about it. Same blasphemous lyrics and his voice is similar to the one in their last albums. I don't understand why they went with that horrible IA cover; such an awful drawing gives the overall albums lesser points.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:56 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
First one I've heard by them in like over 10 years... pretty good actually, nice heavy, visceral ripping DM. Nothing really outstanding but it's fun. Shame the cover and whole aesthetic is such boring shit. That really does make a difference, having a good presentation and vibe, which this just doesn't ... but musically, it's not too shabby at all, got some good energy. I like the little melodic leads that pop up and there's a nice thrash kick to it all.

I suggest trying "Overtures of Blasphemy". I think it's better than this new one, despite being pretty similar stylistically (though I do enjoy "Banished by Sin" for what it is... despite the awful AI artwork).

koolaidprodigy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:25 am 

I thought it was pretty good. Far from great but better than I expected. Some pretty cool guitar parts.

alktrash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:07 am 

Spediji wrote:
Im really upset about the album art being AI. As someone who draws alot it really sucks seeing so much music have AI covers now but other than that im very excited for this. Im one of the few people who dont really like the first 3 albums all that much and prefer their later stuff a bit more and from the singles ive heard this sounds like its gonna be pretty good

this easy way easy go to make art (copy paste texture & layers) is dated from earliest photoshop intrusion.
yes sometimes it's nice by the distance but I dislike seing these at close (on vinyl)
artwork disappeared from budget, I've never or very rarely seen a photoshop work that beat thermodynamic artwork (drawing, painting, photos), with few exception - but hey "we got 50euro for the artwork", who's going to do that this way?

anyway it's sometimes nice, depends how you manage and by so how much good intention you've got by releasing a record
afterall some drawings/paintings are also really bad =D

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:01 am 

Pretty good album all things considered. I don't think it's quite as good as Overtures of Blasphemy but it's stylistically similar. Worth getting if you're a fan imo.

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:25 pm 

draconiondevil wrote:
Pretty good album all things considered. I don't think it's quite as good as Overtures of Blasphemy but it's stylistically similar. Worth getting if you're a fan imo.

I think its betterthan the last album myself, he's improved vocally quite a bit

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:40 pm 

mike_87 wrote:
draconiondevil wrote:

I think its betterthan the last album myself, he's improved vocally quite a bit

Interesting. It definitely needs more listens from me before I make my final determination.

SirianRune
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:19 pm 

lennonlikesmetal wrote:
Thexhumed wrote:
jose_G wrote:
Maybe this can go into unpopular opinions, but since the serpents of the light deicide it doesn't do anything interesting.

You don't think The Stench of Redemption is any good?

I really liked Stench. A modern semi classic.

I think it's one of their best albums, matched only by Legion itself.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:49 pm 

New album isn’t egregious. It’s pretty easy to listen to, but still hear a lot of self plagiarism ala Sacrificial Suicide etc… woke from god is one of the stupidest titles I have ever heard but musically everything is not bad and much better than expected.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2