Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:57 pm 

Norwegian traditional heavy/doom metal metallers Coffin Storm will release their debut full length, Arcana Rising, on March 29 through Peaceville Records. From the press release:

Quote:
We're please to officially announce the debut album ‘ARCANA RISING’ by Coffin Storm
Featuring APOLLYON (AURA NOIR [official]), BESTIAL TORMENTOR (INFERNÖ), & Darkthrone’S FENRIZ on vocals, COMING 29th MARCH!
Fenriz explains the origins of the band: "Kolbotn is a hilly forest-y place directly south of Oslo, Norway. When Ole Jørgen and Olav and me grew up there in the 80s we had easy access to all the metal in the massive amounts of record stores in Oslo. Olav and Ole Jørgen started playing doom metal together in the 90s (Lamented Souls) but in 2020 they teamed up again and making riffs in the slow thrash/doom/classic heavy metal style. When the songs started to take form, Ole Jørgen took his place on the drum throne and soon started to record them. Wanting it to be a 100% Kolbotn project, they asked if I wanted to lay down vocals for it and after a couple of sessions in 2021 and 2022 COFFIN STORM was born".

Apollyon added:
“Me and Bestial Tormentor have been playing together since we met in college in 1990 and formed the doom metal act Lamented Souls. However with most members being busy with other bands LS kind of faded away. Our last rehearsal was around 2007. After I had stopped playing live with Aura Noir we decided to meet up weekly and play guitar together. It was not going to be Lamented Souls and we had no serious plans of any kind. – but as songs were starting to emerge I switched to drums and we made recordings that Bestial Tormentor played to Fenriz, who apparently approved! I would never have dared to ask him to do the vocals! I was considering doing them myself but he was secretly our first choice. Fortunately Bestial Tormentor popped the question and he said yes, so we recorded 3 songs with an extra pair of drum mics(4 in total )in the rehearsal place. Added bass and guitar in my house and went to Fenriz‘ to record the vocals. Then we had two more sessions before the album was finished.
Initially I was assuming the music would be doom metal .I think all of us had “Epicus Doomicus Metallicus” in mind but even if our songs are slow/mid tempo, the riffs ended up being more thrashy than I had expected. Only the title track is pure doom simply because it’s a song me and Bestial Tormentor made some 20 years ago that we were über eager to hear Fenriz‘ ravishing vocal lines on.”

Fenriz also shared his thoughts on this first single, “Over Frozen Moors“:
“Right off the bat it’s a chunky 1984 style Exodus verse riff followed by a myriad of melodics in a levitating refrain. The middle of the song just proceeds with an even more killer slow-thrash riff and a surprising vocal part baked into it which gives the song an added epic layer. For the heaviness of the rhythm shift in the closing part I just have one thing to say: Wait for it!…”

Tracklisting:
1.Over Frozen Moors
2.Arcana Rising
3.Open the Gallows
4.Eighty-Five And Seven Miles
5.Ceaseless Abandon
6.Clockwork Cult

Over Frozen Moors has been released as the first single:
Spoiler: show

Well after all of the trad and doom metal influenced albums Darkthrone have been making for the past decade it only seems logical that Fenriz would go all the way and start a straight up trad heavy/doom project. Cool to see Apollyon and Bestial Tormentor involved as well. This first single sounds pretty good, very much in the vein of the bands Fenriz has named as influences on the recent doomier Darkthrone material.

KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:54 pm 

Really dig the single. I love Fenriz's reverent yet loose take on the classic metal style of singing. Great to hear more stuff from Apollyon as well. Aura Noir + Fenriz really is a bit of a wet dream innit.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:16 pm 

Hmmm a little unsure about this. Musically it's pretty fuckin cool but those vocals...

Raven_Augustus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:37 pm 

Those vocals are really out there. It reminds me of what Fenriz did on the song Leave No Cross Unturned by Darkthrone, very chaotic and improvised, but it's way worse here.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:25 pm 

MetlaNZ wrote:
Hmmm a little unsure about this. Musically it's pretty fuckin cool but those vocals...

Nah, it's great. Technically iffy, but ya know what, plenty of singers from the era of trad and doom they're channeling here weren't the greatest either, but their passion and conviction sold it, and that's what Fenriz has here. I'm not expecting him to be Messiah Marcolin or Agyl.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:36 pm 

kind of like a doomy Underground Resistance I suppose

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:46 pm 

Those vocals are goofy and this sounds gimmicky as hell. Fenriz hits it out of the park sometimes with his homages to trad metal and other times he sounds like he is clowning his heroes.
Did you need a protection amulet?

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:58 pm 

Since he has an outlet for this doomy stuff now I wonder if Darkthrone is going to move away from the trad/doom metal material.

untappd: patrick_g

KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:40 am 

If the vocals had 2.5x more reverb on top they'd sound exactly like the vocals on your favorite NWOBHM classic. That's the appeal, and that's why they're great.

jose_G
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:26 am 

good...

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:34 pm 

Great track! Looking forward to this.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:46 pm 

It's fine for what it is, but it feels a little rote now, this kinda chunky, raw 80s sound blending the heavy and thrash and black vibes into a stew... it's a decent enough song and I don't even think the vocals are bad, but it isn't doing much to stand out from other bands like this (later Manilla Road, Dawnbringer, Ironsword, etc). Darkthrone got by because they had more interesting riffs and leads - this just kind of feels stock. I feel like some of these guys are intentionally sort of saying fuck it and just doing it sloppy on purpose, but I wish it was more compelling for all of that. Maybe the album will hit me harder.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:43 pm 

My verdict: it's not amazing, but it feels heartfelt and honest. The lack of polish honestly helps with this, as sometimes I miss performances that aren't particularly gifted, don't try to hide it or dress it up, and get by with attitude and passion. That's basically what this is. Three guys from established bands having fun and making music that they want to hear, and not really caring if people like it or not.

ColdJustice
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:23 am 

I don't really care for the vocals. It sounds very muffled and goofy.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:38 am 

I can live with the vocals. The riffs sound way too plain, though.

Here's hoping the new Darkthrone will be better (even if I'm extremely skeptical).

I'd advise you to hold off on what is likely to be a negative review and give this album the perspective it deserves.

Dustroy_Troly
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:33 pm 

I like it lots. Straddles a really cool line between heavy, thrash and doom. Not far from what Darkthrone have been doing lately, so it almost feels like we're getting two Darkthrone album in one year.

Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:03 pm 

Love it! Not a million miles from modern day Darkthrone and Fenriz sounds like he's trying to channel King Diamond half the time.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:15 pm 

Man, I don't want to be a hater, but Fenriz melodic vocals really suck. I don't know if his voice is prepared for this genre, he always shrieked his vocals in a black metal way, is weird listening to him trying to sing like a doom metal vocalist, Iam not so sure about that aspect of the band.

The music is pretty cool though, not really my thing but it's fine.

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:14 am 

SanPeron wrote:
Man, I don't want to be a hater, but Fenriz melodic vocals really suck. I don't know if his voice is prepared for this genre, he always shrieked his vocals in a black metal way, is weird listening to him trying to sing like a doom metal vocalist, Iam not so sure about that aspect of the band.

Clearly you haven't heard any Isengard.

I'm digging this, Open the Gallows is a real humdinger.

Madie79
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:35 am 

Kalaratri wrote:
Norwegian traditional heavy/doom metal metallers Coffin Storm will release their debut full length, Arcana Rising, on March 29 through Peaceville Records. From the press release:

Quote:
We're please to officially announce the debut album ‘ARCANA RISING’ by Coffin Storm
Featuring APOLLYON (AURA NOIR [official]), BESTIAL TORMENTOR (INFERNÖ), & Darkthrone’S FENRIZ on vocals, COMING 29th MARCH!
Fenriz explains the origins of the band: "Kolbotn is a hilly forest-y place directly south of Oslo, Norway. When Ole Jørgen and Olav and me grew up there in the 80s we had easy access to all the metal in the massive amounts of record stores in Oslo. Olav and Ole Jørgen started playing doom metal together in the 90s (Lamented Souls) but in 2020 they teamed up again and making riffs in the slow thrash/doom/classic heavy metal style. When the songs started to take form, Ole Jørgen took his place on the drum throne and soon started to record them. Wanting it to be a 100% Kolbotn project, they asked if I wanted to lay down vocals for it and after a couple of sessions in 2021 and 2022 COFFIN STORM was born".

Apollyon added:
“Me and Bestial Tormentor have been playing together since we met in college in 1990 and formed the doom metal act Lamented Souls. However with most members being busy with other bands LS kind of faded away. Our last rehearsal was around 2007. After I had stopped playing live with Aura Noir we decided to meet up weekly and play guitar together. It was not going to be Lamented Souls and we had no serious plans of any kind. – but as songs were starting to emerge I switched to drums and we made recordings that Bestial Tormentor played to Fenriz, who apparently approved! I would never have dared to ask him to do the vocals! I was considering doing them myself but he was secretly our first choice. Fortunately Bestial Tormentor popped the question and he said yes, so we recorded 3 songs with an extra pair of drum mics(4 in total )in the rehearsal place. Added bass and guitar in my house and went to Fenriz‘ to record the vocals. Then we had two more sessions before the album was finished.
Initially I was assuming the music would be doom metal .I think all of us had “Epicus Doomicus Metallicus” in mind but even if our songs are slow/mid tempo, the riffs ended up being more thrashy than I had expected. Only the title track is pure doom simply because it’s a song me and Bestial Tormentor made some 20 years ago that we were über eager to hear Fenriz‘ ravishing vocal lines on.”

Fenriz also shared his thoughts on this first single, “Over Frozen Moors“:
“Right off the bat it’s a chunky 1984 style Exodus verse riff followed by a myriad of melodics in a levitating refrain. The middle of the song just proceeds with an even more killer slow-thrash riff and a surprising vocal part baked into it which gives the song an added epic layer. For the heaviness of the rhythm shift in the closing part I just have one thing to say: Wait for it!…”

Tracklisting:
1.Over Frozen Moors
2.Arcana Rising
3.Open the Gallows
4.Eighty-Five And Seven Miles
5.Ceaseless Abandon
6.Clockwork Cult

Over Frozen Moors has been released as the first single:
Spoiler: show

Well after all of the trad and doom metal influenced albums Darkthrone have been making for the past decade it only seems logical that Fenriz would go all the way and start a straight up trad heavy/doom project. Cool to see Apollyon and Bestial Tormentor involved as well. This first single sounds pretty good, very much in the vein of the bands Fenriz has named as influences on the recent doomier Darkthrone material.

I'm really enjoying the single. Fenriz's respectful yet relaxed approach to the classic metal singing style is fantastic. It's also fantastic to hear more material from Apollyon. The combination of Aura Noir and Fenriz is truly a dream come true, isn't it?

Reply to topic