* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:56 am 

CreepingDeath16 wrote:
LefterisK wrote:
"Elthe Kyrie" and "Apage Satana" are some of the worst I have heard in my life; if you are a Greek speaker this is laughable.

This is interesting, could you elaborate, like below? I thought they are native Greek, so is this something to do with ancient vs. modern Greek?

The lyrics of Apage Satana are literally just some common words of prayer (including the Lord's Prayer) so they're certainly dull but I wouldn't call them 'bad' in the usual sense.

LefterisK wrote:
The title of the new album should have been "Pro Christou/Hristou", which is the correct transliteration. Because now it just reads as Pro Krsistou (which does not make sense in English or Greek - "X" in Greek is pronounce as "Ks"). Yet another uninformed/lazy attempt by Sakis Tolis.

To be perfectly fair, "Pro Xristoy" is exactly how I would spell this if I was sending a text message with Latin characters. But the point is well made; I wouldn't dream of writing my album title in Grenglish.

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:58 pm 

LilTito wrote:
PETERG wrote:
LefterisK wrote:
I hold the opinion that Rotting Christ has had the most regressive course than any band I know (and I love to hate on modern Metallica, but at least 72 Seasons was decent). The last two albums were embarrassing and songs like "Elthe Kyrie" and "Apage Satana" are some of the worst I have heard in my life; if you are a Greek speaker this is laughable. Their best-off/old-school setlists are always the same songs and never touch anything unplayed from Non serviam, which has so many overlooked songs yet they seemingly take so much pride in this album. And I will never understand why the keep playing "Societas Satanas" live instead of an original song of theirs... This band has fallen off the rails hard; if Sakis let at least the new guy play some solos, it would make his albums more refreshing and interesting.

The title of the new album should have been "Pro Christou/Hristou", which is the correct transliteration. Because now it just reads as Pro Krsistou (which does not make sense in English or Greek - "X" in Greek is pronounce as "Ks"). Yet another uninformed/lazy attempt by Sakis Tolis.

Also, while the songs on his solo album were better that the majority of the songs in Heretics, it was on of the worst forms of self-plagiarism (and I say that being a big fan of Iced Earth). Specifically, the intro and basic riff of "ad astra" is just a variation of "saturn unlock" from Non serviam and "Snowing Still" and "the opposite bank" (at 2:57, which is IDENTICAL)... Τhe dawn of the new age = fire and flame. we…the fallen angels = sons of hell. the silence = hallowed be thy name. This is ridiculous.

I think at this point they are just trying to evolve this grandiose theme of big riffs and passages that make for an "epic" sound. But they seem to forget that this is not what they are. Greek black metal is about simple mid tempo riffs with evil atmosphere.

But hey at least Varathron and Deviser have released new material!

Deathstalker1985 wrote:
And also Arghoslent will always be the band that is best known for using that as one of their album covers. Really no point in any other bands using it after them.

Hmmm I think that Crime & the City Solution did it first though. :-D

Greece has a great black metal scene, don't limit yourself to only 90s bands

Of course man! I really dig all Greek black metal bands. Artists like Nocternity and Ravencult are amazing!

RYM

I got places I gotta be!

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:38 am 

So the first single is out, and no surprises here - it's exactly as could be expected. Whether that's a good or bad thing, depends on your liking o or lack thereof for the last few albums. I am not too impressed, but I didn't expect to be.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:23 am 

I liked it. Pretty similar to their last couple of albums, but I liked those, too. It's not going to win over any new fans, but I thought it was good. Really leaning into their melody, which I'm enjoying.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

jose_G
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:49 am 

very good new song!

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:20 am 

Sounds like Rotting Christ, alright. Great melody-work, the production seems to be punchy and I like them double kicks! Plus, there's no mantra-stuff on it... which is always nice. It does smell of 'A Dead Poem' to me more than just a bit! I haven't been excited about RC's singles for a looong time... So, YEAH!

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:31 pm 

This doesn't sound like black metal to me, is a lot more lightweight than their first albums. Is not bad, but it isn't very memorable too. A little bit of harshness and heaviness could add something to the mix.

nakzox
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:37 pm 

Kinda boring track to me. Doesn't exactly get me hyped for the rest of the album.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:04 pm 

The video is pretty cool for sure. Amazing setting.
Spoiler: show

SanPeron: Yeah, it's not rough-sounding for sure. That's probably it reminded me about 'A Dead Poem'. But when I listen to this song more, it gets distance to that album, too. It's not plastic production, thankfully.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:03 pm 

Actually enjoyed it quite a bit and I didn’t expect to. The riffing definitely is stronger imo on this than on the last few. Reminds of the solo album and A Dead Poem which for me is not a bad thing.

akb88
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:59 pm 

Lane wrote:
The video is pretty cool for sure. Amazing setting.
Spoiler: show

SanPeron: Yeah, it's not rough-sounding for sure. That's probably it reminded me about 'A Dead Poem'. But when I listen to this song more, it gets distance to that album, too. It's not plastic production, thankfully.

Looks like they came for a visit!

greywanderer7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:34 pm 

As others have pointed out, the single doesn't really sound like black metal and hearkens to the more melodic sound of A Dead Poem, which is not a bad thing in my book. Actually if the rest of the album sounds like that I'd be happy with it. At least there's no chanting bullshit under one-note chugs.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:39 am 

mirons wrote:
So the first single is out, and no surprises here - it's exactly as could be expected. Whether that's a good or bad thing, depends on your liking o or lack thereof for the last few albums. I am not too impressed, but I didn't expect to be.

It's a bad thing. This is a very boring song. The usual aesthetic-heavy but ineffectual crap they've been on for a while. That main melody got tired very fast and sounds referential of better stuff they've done in the past. Nothing sounds fresh and invigorating, all the motions this song moves through are very familiar but it just highlights the band's creative void. I'm not disappointed because I wasn't expecting much but that was still really bland.

And no, it doesn't sound like any of the spirited material on A Dead Poem. This is like a leftover from a modern Behemoth album.

Also didn't find that sappy music video moving or interesting at all.
Did you need a protection amulet?

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:35 am 

I found the music video to be cool. Why not have a positive swing to a clip once in a while?

With that said -> I always loved Sakis' writing and his style of guitar melodies is one of a kind...but as a huge Rotting Christ fan who's most familiar with about everything RC has made since their inception, I can't help but kind of laugh at how obvious the recycling has become. I mean, the first riff of the bridge section is almost 100% extracted from the intro/verse riff of his 2022 solo track "My Salvation":

Starting at 2:35.

and here is "My Salvation":

I mean, really?

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:02 am 

That was boring as hell. As a fan of the first 3 albums who hasn't paid much attention to RC's newer stuff I wonder; is this a continuation of what the band has been doing lately, or what?

I'd advise you to hold off on what is likely to be a negative review and give this album the perspective it deserves.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:38 pm 

Gave the single a listen. Definitely what one should expect from modern RC, but I didn't find it all that bad. I do agree that the band probably should've done more with it, though.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:56 pm 

colin040 wrote:
That was boring as hell. As a fan of the first 3 albums who hasn't paid much attention to RC's newer stuff I wonder; is this a continuation of what the band has been doing lately, or what?

Yes, this is pretty much within the realm of their last albums. Except without the chanting and narration spoken word bits but those may show up on other tracks yet. Sakis Tolis does a lot of narration on his solo albums, which also don't sound much different from current RC. Everything is somehow collectively bland and somewhat muted and toothless. I just don't get it.

Dr_Funf
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:17 am 

I enjoyed it. Looking forward to hearing the whole album.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:02 pm 

Mid. I've heard the label of "Norsecore" used to refer to derivative, uninteresting Western European BM and stuff that sounds like it - can we call this Olympuscore? It's the same sort of vibe, but for Hellenic bm instead. Just sounds like a really lazy and uninspired attempt to jock mid-era RC, which I guess is still a step up from the past couple of albums.

nakzox
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:14 am 

Next track, Saoirse, is out today:

Seems pretty underwhelming to me again, as the first track was, but that is just me.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:06 pm 

The new songs are not just as soulful as early RC albums. I miss that mystical & mythical Greek vibe they once possessed. Too much modern gloss.

CoffeeCat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:47 pm 

I like it, but it's not necessarily a great single.

jose_G
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:07 pm 

good....

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:05 pm 

Well that was boring. It starts out promising to be epic with the chanting flourishes and choirs as per usual but just gets really repetitive with no discernable riffs or melodies. Lackluster vocals too.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:02 pm 

New song for those who care. Did not like it but I don't wanna flog the dead horse that is Rotting Christ anymore cause that just makes me sad.

nakzox
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:53 am 

Probably my favorite of the three singles, but not great at all.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2