Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Cauldron_Born
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:47 am 

Join me and Matthew Knight as we discuss C.L. Moore's Jirel of Joiry tale, " Hellsgarde". "Black God's Kiss", "Jirel Meets Magic", "Quest of the Starstone" Northwest Smith, Henry Kuttner, Robert E. Howard, H.P. Lovecraft, Bram Stoker, and Mary Shelley are also mentioned.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4Dne-jePiA

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:57 am 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
Those Kane books are not easy to find for any reasonable price. Never read them myself but I did a search and whoa.

Just picked up from a local 2nd hand bookstore Karl Edward Wagner's "Bloodstone" '78 edition and "Darkness Weaves" '93 edition. Only cost me a few bucks each and in reasonable condition considering their age. Also got Tanith Lee's "The Birthgrave" '79 edition and "Shadowfire" '78 edition. Definitely recommend ya suss out your local 2nd hand dealers if you've got any in your area.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:52 pm 

MetlaNZ wrote:
Ace_Rimmer wrote:
Those Kane books are not easy to find for any reasonable price. Never read them myself but I did a search and whoa.

Just picked up from a local 2nd hand bookstore Karl Edward Wagner's "Bloodstone" '78 edition and "Darkness Weaves" '93 edition. Only cost me a few bucks each and in reasonable condition considering their age. Also got Tanith Lee's "The Birthgrave" '79 edition and "Shadowfire" '78 edition. Definitely recommend ya suss out your local 2nd hand dealers if you've got any in your area.

I do now and then but I have never seen them. Something I will be keeping an eye out for though.

Cauldron_Born
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:20 pm 

Join me and Matthew Knight as we discuss SOJAN SHIELDBEARER ( AKA SOJAN THE SWORDSMAN ) by Michael Moorcock!
https://youtu.be/trQ1VUaaeV4?si=wb6NtxNOwDUJM-LC

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:09 am 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
Cauldron_Born wrote:
Ace_Rimmer wrote:
Its probably heresy but my primary image of Conan is from the early Savage Sword of Conan comic magazine with art by John Buscema. Before Arnold, and before I was reading the books in the 80's that was my intro to the world of Conan. Some pretty good adaptions of the stories in the early issues and the explosive Buscema art, along with his mastery of the female form.

THE SAVAGE SWORD OF CONAN was my gateway to the original Howard texts.

Cool. That it was a Marvel magazine rather than a regular comic was great as it didn't have the comic code stuff and could be a bit more gritty compared to the regular Conan comic book.

They are bringing it back in 2024.

Cauldron_Born
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:55 pm 

I list my top ten classic sword-and-sorcery collections by author on this week's episode of SWORD AND SORCERY HEAVY METAL.
https://youtu.be/wAfFN0N2tdQ?si=hRSTWDL78RwLpQoJ

Cauldron_Born
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:06 am 

Join me, Jason Tarpey ( vocalist for Eternal Champion ), Deathmaster (vocalist for Doomsword ), and Justin Young ( host for the MONSTERS, MADNESS AND MAGIC podcast ) as we discuss Conan, Elric, Kane, Poul Anderson's THE BROKEN SWORD, Richard L. Tierney's Simon of Gitta tales, THE SAVAGE SWORD OF CONAN, Cauldron Born, Eternal Champion, Doomsword, and much more.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dYxEMiJKCU

TheArchivist
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:36 pm 

I'm currently watching the episodes with Matthew Knight. It's a fascinating discussion as I've read a paperback compilation of Robert E. Howard's work several years back. I've recently finished A Feast For Crows by George R.R. Martin which is part of the Game Of Thrones series of novels, before this, I also read The Way Of Shadows by Brent Weeks. (The former is like Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight to Tim Burton's Batman movies). Will definitely watch more of Howie's vlog :)

Cauldron_Born
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:53 pm 

TheArchivist wrote:
I'm currently watching the episodes with Matthew Knight. It's a fascinating discussion as I've read a paperback compilation of Robert E. Howard's work several years back. I've recently finished A Feast For Crows by George R.R. Martin which is part of the Game Of Thrones series of novels, before this, I also read The Way Of Shadows by Brent Weeks. (The former is like Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight to Tim Burton's Batman movies). Will definitely watch more of Howie's vlog :)

Thanks for watching! New episode every Sunday!

Cauldron_Born
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:49 am 

Join me and Matthew Knight as we discuss the Bran Mak Morn tale "Worms of the Earth" by Robert E. Howard, and the influence of the Bran Mak Morn tales on my lyrics to the Cauldron Born songs on LEGACY OF ATLANTEAN KINGS.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngUvSvZ5wQ0

Cauldron_Born
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:32 am 

Join me and Howie Roberts, the one man sword and sorcery heavy metal band known as Hyborian Steel, as we discuss his music, Robert E. Howard, Conan vs Kull, Michael Moorcock, Elric, Barbarian Crowns, Bathory, Doomsword ,Heavy Load, Cauldron Born, and much more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umq2nHJQR1Y

Cauldron_Born
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:40 am 

Join me and Matthew Knight as we discuss the Bran Mak Morn story " Kings of the Night" by Robert E. Howard.
The lyrics to the Cauldron Born song " ... And
Rome Shall Fall " are in reference to this Howard tale.
https://youtu.be/ue3s0J_J_70?si=9334oKFeOmRIyGwB

Cauldron_Born
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:58 pm 

Join me and Justin Young as we talk with Ramsey Campbell about his iconic sword and sorcery character, Ryre, his posthumous collaboration with Robert E. Howard, horror fiction that drips dread, paranormal phenomena, and much more. It was a real pleasure to be able to converse with my favorite living author.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cHmNJdfm9Y

Cauldron_Born
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:58 am 

Join me and Matthew Knight as we discuss the Elak of Atlantis tale " Dragon Moon ".Dragon Moon" was published in WEIRD TALES magazine in 1941. It was the inspiration for the Cauldron Born song " Dragon Throne" from the LEGACY OF ATLANTEAN KINGS album.
https://youtu.be/P0kp_SqXfpU?si=LnsC9V8jztUTxTNj

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:33 am 

I've skipped a couple episodes that were on novels i havent read yet but still following the rest.

Cauldron_Born
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:27 am 

tomcat_ha wrote:
I've skipped a couple episodes that were on novels i havent read yet but still following the rest.

I'm glad you're enjoying the podcast!

Cauldron_Born
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:29 am 

New episode! Matthew Knight and I discuss the Nifft the Lean tale " The Pearls of the Vampire Queen " by Michael Shea.
https://youtu.be/EkzLRSrHb6U?si=qDJ42bJ2YVlM9oPt

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2