Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:44 pm 

Groove metal mainstays Exhorder will release their fourth full length, Defectum Omnium, on March 8 through Nuclear Blast. From the press release:

Quote:
NOLA thrash and groove trailblazers EXHORDER have revealed details and plans for the release of their eagerly anticipated 4th full-length record, Defectum Omnium, that’s due out March 8th, 2024 from Nuclear Blast Records. The album follows the band’s critically revered 2019 release Mourn The Southern Skies.

Commenting on the impending album, vocalist/guitarist Kyle Thomas states:

“It’s been quite a journey for Exhorder since the 2019 release of ‘Mourn the Southern Skies’. Lineup changes as well as the 2020-2021 pandemic and lockdown presented hurdles that weren’t easy to overcome. But we persevered, kept our heads down and went to work with intense focus and real goals. One of those goals was to bring our fourth full length album to our fan base. ‘Defectum Omnium’ is a collaborative effort in songwriting, much as it was in the early days of Exhorder. We produced it ourselves, as we felt no need or desire to bring in anyone from the outside based upon our shared vision. It was also important to us not only to continue the natural progression this band has been in since the early 90’s, but to put a foot back into our roots. The influence punk and hardcore had on this band from getting our start in the New Orleans punk rock scene has a strong presence. We’ve also made sure to keep plenty of our thrash roots as well in our songwriting process.

But we have also managed to keep our doom roots alive, which first surfaced on the song ‘(Cadence of) the Dirge’ back in 1992. In fact, on one new song we have guest appearances by Rick Wartell and Bruce Franklin from Trouble, and they absolutely killed it!

From the time that we began pre-production until the actual release date, we can promise you that every bit of ‘Defectum Omnium’ was crafted with great care, and we are really excited about it! Our goal was to make an album that WE loved and gives the experience of a journey, or maybe even a rollercoaster ride effect. We can’t wait to share it with the world!”

Without further ado, EXHORDER kicks in the door of 2024 with a savage new track, ‘Year of the Goat,’ that sets the neck-snapping pace for the record to come.

Adding on the new song, Thomas says:

“Our debut single ‘Year of the Goat’ is a fast paced, chugging piece in the spirit of the influence that Motörhead had on punk rock bands like Charged GBH and The Exploited. The lyrical approach is a throwback to early Exhorder attitude, and we had a ton of fun filming the video at a free show that we performed in the greater Cincinnati area. 2024 is the year of the goat!!!”

Tracklisting:
1. Wrath of Prophecies (04:13)
2. Under the Gaslight (04:20)
3. Forever and Beyond Despair (03:02)
4. The Tale of Unsound Minds (05:00)
5. Divide and Conquer (02:38)
6. Year of the Goat (03:27)
7. Taken by Flames (05:18)
8. Defectum Omnium / Stolen Hope (07:13)
9. Three Stages of Truth / Lacing the Well (06:45)
10. Sedition (02:56)
11. Desensitized (04:58)
12. Your Six (04:27)

Year of the Goat has been released as the first single:
Spoiler: show

I have to say that I'm really digging this first single they've put out for the new record. I don't know if Pat O'Brien had any part to play in the songwriting or recording or if he's still just a live guitarist, but they sound re-energized to me.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:30 pm 

I can't wait for this. Took a few spins but I ended up loving the last album. The new song sounds great and reading the blurb above's got me hungry to hear the rest.
Fuck it would be cool if they came down to visit Aus and NZ.
Exhorder fuckin rule!

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:49 pm 

Hmmm...sounds like a neutered Slayer
Did you need a protection amulet?

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:33 am 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
Hmmm...sounds like a neutered Slayer

Funny considering Slayer themselves got neutered sometime around the mid 90's.

Mourn The Southern Skies kicked ass and I'll be welcoming Defectum Omnium with open arms and mind.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:52 pm 

Good band, I have always loved Slaughter in the Vatican and The Law, classics of '90s pre-groove/thrash albums. Kind of like a primitive Pantera CFH sound. They will come to Buenos Aires, Argentina this year with Vio-Lence, looking forward to that show. What do you guys think of their newest single? I like it, but I like their old stuff more.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:41 pm 

I'd like to hear some more of Pat's guitar playing but not sure that Exhorder is a fit for what I like him to play. He was a perfect fit for Cannibal.

Stay off meth kids!

The single is pretty good but nothing special.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:00 pm 

Here's the second single:

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:40 pm 

Holy shit! Wasn't expecting that. Love the hardcore punk intensity on this one.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:26 pm 

The final single is out (along with the album).

I think the album as a whole is probably the most experimental thing they've done. There are elements of thrash, groove, death, doom and sludge metal along with a healthy dose of punk and even some traditional heavy metal at spots. The songs shift around a lot, there are a quite a few tempo and rhythm changes and it's also very technical in spots.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:02 pm 

I haven't heard much of their music but just checked this out and I really like it. The vocalist sounds almost identical to Russell Allen at times.

motorsport
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:08 pm 

Much better than their last effort, for sure.

alktrash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:53 am 

this band remind me Pantera, or to be exact Pantera back then remind me Exhorder, and I also felt that way with the most recent release.
but the cover is a bit boring

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:28 pm 

There are definitely similarities to Pantera and Lamb of God at times, but considering how much Exhorder influenced both, it's hard to be surprised. I'm liking this a lot. It thrashes hard, but it also tries plenty of different things out and has a ton of variation. They don't ALWAYS work, but I wouldn't say there are any true duds.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:47 pm 

They sound more like a thrash band than a groove metal band, for me, they remind more of the later albums of Exodus with Rob Dukes than Lamb of God or Pantera. They weren't that groovy to begin with. I have always found their alleged similarities with Pantera rather inconsistent.

alktrash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:58 pm 

that was how I felt back then when Pantera came out, first with Metallica element (on Cowboys) but then with a strong connection to Exhorder and I (ok I was living countryside) I seems being the only one knowing Exhorder at the time through their earliest LPs. Maybe not that groovy but because of singing & maybe some riffs I guess. Pantera is one of these bands considered "revolution" and this sounds to me like people don't know background enough so they judge on what they know. This way influences sometimes appears being copycat when they are firstly on place.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:51 pm 

That's 3 from 3 for these singles, great stuff, looking forward to getting the album for sure.

Forever Underground
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:23 pm 

Kalaratri wrote:

I think the album as a whole is probably the most experimental thing they've done. There are elements of thrash, groove, death, doom and sludge metal along with a healthy dose of punk and even some traditional heavy metal at spots. The songs shift around a lot, there are a quite a few tempo and rhythm changes and it's also very technical in spots.

You got my interest and I'm glad the album delivered, it's been a pleasant and varied listen, I especially enjoyed the second half.

David_Brent
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:57 am 

I always slept on this band, but so far I'm loving this new album. They are playing on Huginns Awakening Fest (Belgium) on the 10th of May I hope I can make it

Reply to topic