Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Ivan Drago
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:02 am 

I'd be really interested in the demos/early albums but I've no interest in digital only versions. If they released a boxset I'd order it straight away

But that also means he's had five hours worth of material sitting around for nearly 20 years?? Why hadn't he just released it at any point in the last 10 years or so when the whole Time thing started turning into a giant meme?

SirianRune
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:47 am 

I'm pretty confident that the expansion to THE PACKAGE in April is going to be a reworked version of Time I that has the same production level as Time II. Jari has made it very clear that he is thoroughly unsatisfied with how Time I sounds, and no one in their right mind who knows anything about Jari's obsession over production or stubbornness when it comes to releasing material that he's unsatisfied with is going to think that he's going to let that fly, and what better time to release a reworked version of Time I than in the Time Package?

Nokturniis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:44 pm 

SirianRune wrote:
I'm pretty confident that the expansion to THE PACKAGE in April is going to be a reworked version of Time I that has the same production level as Time II. Jari has made it very clear that he is thoroughly unsatisfied with how Time I sounds, and no one in their right mind who knows anything about Jari's obsession over production or stubbornness when it comes to releasing material that he's unsatisfied with is going to think that he's going to let that fly, and what better time to release a reworked version of Time I than in the Time Package?

I'm not saying that's not going to happen, but Jari already put out a "remaster" of Time I during the last crowdfunding run. Is he really going to remaster Time I twice?

1. Elysian Blaze
2. Nortt
3. Black Magick SS
4. The Ruins Of Beverast
5. Urfaust

Nokturniis (Pure Ghastly Haunting Eerie Dungeon Synth) - https://nokturniis.bandcamp.com/

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:45 pm 

I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if he did, honestly.
I do have my doubts though, lol.

Lord_Lexy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:20 am 

Maybe a version of Time I and II that make it feel like single album with the songs flowing from one album to the next.

goetia_unreleased
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:28 am 

Lord_Lexy wrote:
Maybe a version of Time I and II that make it feel like single album with the songs flowing from one album to the next.

I can see Jari doing this. I mean, it was intended to be a single album after all.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:36 am 

"You don't come here for hunting, do you?"

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:56 am 

Nokturniis wrote:
SirianRune wrote:

I'm not saying that's not going to happen, but Jari already put out a "remaster" of Time I during the last crowdfunding run. Is he really going to remaster Time I twice?

Unless we are talking a full remix rather than a remaster.

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:57 am 

So I'm a sucker and pre-ordered. I doubt I would have done it without the Jari early songs part of the deal. That's actual additional material rather than all the separated stems and instrumental versions and such. I'm not a huge fan of that kind of stuff.

By_Inheritance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:41 am 

Jari's posted on of the demos that's included in the package.

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:17 pm 

The AI animations :lol:

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:15 pm 

Holy drum machine, Batman, that sounds like crap! Especially the guitar solo, yikes. The video is almost Neil Breen level of cringe, I kind of love it?

SirianRune
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:41 pm 

Nokturniis wrote:
SirianRune wrote:

I meant redoing the orchestrations, redoing the mix, maybe even re-recording the guitars since Jari said he hated the way they sounded to the point where he deliberately put them too low in the mix, the whole shebang.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:18 pm 

coupdebleus wrote:
The AI animations :lol:

I should be upset that they used shitty AI instead of actual animators, but since this is Wintersun we're talking about, I can't exactly be surprised...

Auch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:13 pm 

CreepingDeath16 wrote:
Holy drum machine, Batman, that sounds like crap! Especially the guitar solo, yikes. The video is almost Neil Breen level of cringe, I kind of love it?

I didn't even listen. I just clicked play to skip to see the AI and still skipped to watch most of it.

I think between this and the super nerdy weeb artwork that is coming out for all of Time II, I'm kinda going over to Jari's side...

BleedingMoon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:54 am 

Five hours worth of stuff and he didn't feel any of it was worth polishing up and releasing as a follow up to the first album, even as a few EPs or something?

Dude ran before he could walk and it shows. First album to Time I was jarring as hell and he could easily have put out more S/T sounding material while working on Time.

SirianRune
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:15 am 

A.I. animations are more attention than what most artists give to demo tracks TBF. They don't always sound the best either.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:53 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
At the time of typing, they're already 27% funded, which is insane! I guess people are willing to put their shady history aside? :scratch:

The comment section on YouTube for the video he posted was about 98% fanboys.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:15 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
I should be upset that they used shitty AI instead of actual animators

The problem there is he would've needed his own animation studio to produce them, which would have necessitated another 3-5 rounds of crowdfunding and 12 more pointless remasters, remixes, and re-remasters of existing material to justify them, representing a total delay of approximately 9 more years until the release of the biggest milestone in modern metal history, Time II, and the world can't wait that long.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:06 am 

Well, this was certainly worth the wait...

https://youtu.be/HxSHqSK-EFE?si=LVzW1gAJ1vm_1rx1

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

Lord_Lexy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:26 am 

Warning is a really weird thing. It’s something to show the new gear Jari had, but not part of anything really. Not even on Spotify. I guess it’ll be a new addition to the Time Package in April.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:18 am 

Smalley wrote:
Well, this was certainly worth the wait...

https://youtu.be/HxSHqSK-EFE?si=LVzW1gAJ1vm_1rx1

My brain still can't even process the fact that we waited 11 years for Jari to noodle around with a guitar in strobing lights for two minutes straight :ugh:

Of_This_Night36
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:49 pm 

I guess Jari jingled enough keys (or should I say, jingled his "massive package") in front of people's faces - seems like the scene that scorned him for the past 11½ years is getting hyped up for this. Absolutely zero sympathy from me, for anybody who inevitably gets burned by this and/or by Wintersun's future endeavors. If dogs can learn to associate food with a bell ringing, you should be able to associate Wintersun with diminished returns.

I do hope for the sake of all the better things this preorder money could've been spent on (such as 13,000+ "Useless Boxes", no seriously, do the math) that people at least get something good out of their investment, but no amount of "miscellaneous demos you should've been working on for 18 years instead of halfheartedly tossing into a crowdfunding package" is going to make this worth it. I refuse to so much as listen to it on streaming services. My ears and my internet clicks are worth less than a drop of water in the ocean of the metal scene and I'm well aware of that, yet even "less than a drop of water" is too much for me to give these grifters. There are bands putting out music almost as good as Wintersun with 8-tracks in their bedrooms, yet somehow Jari can't manage it without an entire empire made out of futuristic equipment.

At least we have BastardHead's review on it to look forward to. Those are always fun. I once considered starting a band called "Starless Winter Darkness" after his "Time I" review. I might still do that someday.

I just realized most of the bonus package is labeled "The Songs of Jari Mäenpää". Is this guy really still plastering his name on the front of Wintersun material? This time it's in even bigger writing than the actual band logo!
Annihilated Pentagram Productions - Kvlt unblack for dark hearts and the left-hand path, not the saved (Luke 5:32). Several releases are free download.
Christ is Lord, there is no other. 2 Peter 3:9, John 14:1-3, Revelation 20:10, Revelation 22:20

SirianRune
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:17 am 

OK, but how do you really feel? I don't see how someone is going to get burned by buying something that they genuinely believe is worth the cost. Jari has never literally scammed anyone in the sense that he has never refused to give anyone what they paid for. Wintersun has detailed all of the contents of the Time package, and because of the multitude of clips from the Time Package, including the entirety of at least one of the demo tracks (Red Horizon [The Pirate Song]), the quality of the content is not a mystery either. So people are suckers and gullible acolytes for getting something that they are aware of the quantity and quality of, and that they are going to get it? Nope, that doesn't add up. If I didn't think the Time Package was worth the cost I would not consider getting it, and no amount of begging for money on Jari's end would have changed my mind. But I do think it's worth it, so I am considering getting it. Yes, Jari's actions have been shady and grifting, but my previous points still stand. Companies do far worse things than what Jari is doing all the time. Yet, this fervent moral outrage and sanctimonious accusations of being brainwashed, money-throwing, obedient dogs are not leveraged toward their customers. If someone immediately purchased this package solely because they believe Jari's actions are a just cause then what you're saying applies to them. It does not, however, apply to people who simply want the stuff in the package and genuinely believe it's at least a good enough value to warrant purchasing.

Lord_Lexy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:53 am 

By now the total has reached €286K. Together with the original €464K this comes to the €750K that was the overall goal. Will we finally come into a time of frequent Wintersun releases?

DarkSkiesGreyWaters
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:51 pm 

A podcast with the band members https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TffC8A5J5-k

Jiggleslinky
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:10 pm 

I finally watched the Jari apology / explanation video and a couple things still bother me. People (especially the diehard fans that worship the ground he walks on) seem to be forgetting

1) The initial Forest Seasons campaign was an "all or nothing" campaign. Jari said the album was finished but if he didn't make 250k in pre-order sales he would not release anything and that all future releases would also be in question. This led to a lot of "holding the album hostage" claims which he never debunked and doesn't even mention here.

2) The second and third campaigns were dropped quietly after he made more than enough on the first one. He has a throw away line about plans changing but doesn't say anything definitively. From my perspective, Jari seemed to imply that all 3 campaigns would be in the service of releasing a new album, culminating with the construction of his studio and finally, the release of Time II. It seems he ended up working with what he made on the first campaign, and decided it was enough to finish the album, but that still doesn't explain what the plans for the other campaigns would have been. Not the worst thing, but it still feels weird having him not even address it.

Overall I can't call him a con artist or a grifter since he has released everything as promised, but, man, the years of silence and a complete lack of communication paint this man as either hilariously incompetent to the point of absurdity or a really scummy scheming individual who lies by omission and rewrites history to make himself seem way more earnest than he actually is. Both options are pretty bad.

Hope the music is good though.

Auch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:28 pm 

I wonder if Time II was completed because of some additional pressure from Nuclear Blast.

Lord_Lexy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:04 pm 

The Time Package will include a remixed and remastered version of Time I, one that finally is to the liking of Jari.

And so far, 6,900 people have pledged €346k.

xexyzl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:04 pm 

Yeah but if you wait 10 years you'll get to hear Time I+II 3.0: You Can (Not) Have Enough Time.

I know variations on this joke have been like shooting fish in a barrel for quite some Time but what does he expect.

Auch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:37 am 

Hell yeah. We called it! It's kinda funny at this point. I think I'm back on Jari's side, the fucking nerd.

Deathstalker1985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:58 pm 

I wonder if the newly remastered, and remixed Time I will get a physical release eventually. It seems like going forward, when it's released, that that should be the logical version to listen to. Especially since it's supposed to sound consistent with how Time II sounds.

Lord_Lexy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:53 am 

Deathstalker1985 wrote:
I wonder if the newly remastered, and remixed Time I will get a physical release eventually.

In the video Jari says this will likely not happen. It also seems like a dangerous investment to release a new version of an album, with over 7000 people who already have that version digitally. They need to sell enough to make it worthwhile. And how many people actually think Time I is mixed badly?

Auch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:22 pm 

One person thinks it's mixed badly: Jari.

reimdaase
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:51 pm 

Hope I am wrong, but am I the only one worried that the new album will sound a bit 'artificial'?

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:59 pm 

I’m not worried, I’m certain.

NoTruce
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:02 am 

For a guy who's set his recording/mixing/mastering standards so fucking high, I'm surprised he actually released The Forest Seasons in its current form.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7