Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:56 am 

Forever Underground wrote:
My favorite Hoplites is still the second but this last one is quite fantastic, I think it's the one that has achieved the best balance between cohesion in the songs and keeping the technicality and chaotic aggression.

By the way, most of the people mention it associates the band with black metal and dissonant death metal, but to me since some time ago it seems to me that it has a thrash metal edge above all. I recently read that he said that what he listens to most is Vektor and Aspid and it made a lot of sense to me. How would you classify the Hoplites music?

The last couple (the third in particular) have a lot of tech thrash in them. I think their default sound that they add stuff to is pretty similar to Serpent Column with that type of hyped up super fast stabby almost mathcore infused flavour of dissoblack. Generally I look at them as that with other stuff plugged into keep things different, which is handy when you put out an album every 12 weeks haha.

alkostach
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:20 pm 

Vemod - The Deepening
Very nice atmo black with some post elements, fresh.

Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:14 am 

Super impressed with the new Unaussprechlichen Kulten, the album sounded amazing at first listen

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:48 am 

It's been a week since the new Manticora is out. Sounds on par with their recent output, and has a tendency to grow, as is the norm with them.

LilTito
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:53 am 

https://bipolararchitecture.bandcamp.co ... aphysicize

https://centurymedia.bandcamp.com/album/freak-dreams

Some of the albums that came out today

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:56 am 

Red_Death wrote:
Super impressed with the new Unaussprechlichen Kulten, the album sounded amazing at first listen

Glad to hear them continuing with the style they introduced on the previous album, riffs galore!

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:59 am 

20 Buck Spin can do no wrong, ripping technical death/thrash with dystopian cyberpunk themes.

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:44 am 

↑↑↑↑↑↑

This is great!!!!

AlexMercer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:33 pm 

Into The Ashes - Consumed By The Negative Dimension

New great album.

Forever Underground
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:51 pm 

New EP from The Meads of Asphodel

https://themeadsofasphodel.bandcamp.com/album/2024-tomb-songs-from-a-dying-bedlamite-ep

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:15 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Krvna - The Rhythmus of Death Eternal - Did somebody say not really anything facy but nice black metal nonetheless? As with all their stuff this is some high energy high melody stuff which is easy on the ears without being essential listening. Worthwhile for anyone into blasts and trem melodies.

One of the best Aussie BM bands around right now. Every release is high quality.

So Drowned (Germany) has a new album, Procol His. If you liked Idola Specus (and why wouldn't you), this should be another excellent dark DM release. Keen as hell to get a copy.

Another high quality Australian BM band with a fresh release this year is Pestilential Shadows with Devil's Hammer. Consistently solid releases all through their back catalogue, and also an absolutely incredible live act, this is something well worth checking out.

My collection

Forever Underground
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:02 pm 

Red_Death wrote:

Finally listening to this, not gonna lie, I was a bit scared that it would sound like the last album, it's the one I liked the least of theirs, and to my surprise I'm digging it, I see it way more focused and with richer nuances. I don't think I would put it ahead of most of their releases, but I haven't listened to them in a while so maybe my perception of their discography has changed.

MoonlitKnight
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:53 am 

Red_Death wrote:

Finally listening to this, not gonna lie, I was a bit scared that it would sound like the last album, it's the one I liked the least of theirs, and to my surprise I'm digging it, I see it way more focused and with richer nuances. I don't think I would put it ahead of most of their releases, but I haven't listened to them in a while so maybe my perception of their discography has changed.

I haven't gotten around to their previous albums yet, but I'm digging this one a lot. It's an early contender for my year-end list. The riffing is pretty cool and gnarly, with some melodic leads as well. There's some tastefully done synths that add a spooky vibe in the background without overpowering the guitars. And it sounds really good as well, cleaner mixing/production without being sterile. There's something in the water in Chile...

alkostach
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:07 am 

Agreed, new Unaussprechlichen Kulten is just great. If it wasn't for Inquisition this would be my fav album this year so far. I like the lovecraftian atmosphere and bleakness. Production fits the style great.

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:02 pm 

The new Gonemage album "Spell Piercings" is a fun time. Blackened nu-metal? Nu blackmetal? Think Craft, or mid-era Dødheimsgard meets Korn and Coal Chamber. It's only going to appeal to certain people, but if black metal mixed with nu-metal sounds sick as fuck to you, check it out. I got a download of the full album and it's addictive - what seemed like a "why the hell not" musical experiment actually turned out to be a solid release.

Garry B is a super creative dude and has been making great music under many different monikers for a long time - hope he builds off of this if only for the sheer novelty of it (and the moments of brilliance where I think "holy shit, he's actually pulling this combo off....")

https://gonemage.bandcamp.com/album/spell-piercings

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:20 pm 

ThePoop wrote:
The new Gonemage album "Spell Piercings" is a fun time. Blackened nu-metal? Nu blackmetal? Think Craft, or mid-era Dødheimsgard meets Korn and Coal Chamber. It's only going to appeal to certain people, but if black metal mixed with nu-metal sounds sick as fuck to you, check it out. I got a download of the full album and it's addictive - what seemed like a "why the hell not" musical experiment actually turned out to be a solid release.

Garry B is a super creative dude and has been making great music under many different monikers for a long time - hope he builds off of this if only for the sheer novelty of it (and the moments of brilliance where I think "holy shit, he's actually pulling this combo off....")

Well that was awful.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:22 pm 

Really digging the new Dwarrowdelf, "The Fallen Leaves". Epic, melodic black metal.

https://dwarrowdelfuk.bandcamp.com/albu ... len-leaves

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:41 pm 

cultofkraken wrote:
Well that was awful.

Ok.... Are you the type of person who would be inclined to potentially like a nu-metal/black metal mix? If not, it's not going to win you over.

Durag
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:03 pm 

interesting, i basically havent listened to these guys since like 01. Loved their 3 demo tapes back then that i still have lying around somewhere and didnt like the first full length for some reason and havent listened to a thing they've done since. ill check this out

Durag
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:23 pm 

ThePoop wrote:

Have to say, this is kinda fun..

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:12 pm 

I need to spend a little more time with that Gonemage album, but I'm disappointed it's not his usual chiptune stuff.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:31 pm 

ThePoop wrote:
cultofkraken wrote:
Well that was awful.

Ok.... Are you the type of person who would be inclined to potentially like a nu-metal/black metal mix? If not, it's not going to win you over.

I had a soft spot for some nu metal in my young teen years. Black metal there’s no question it’s my genre of choice. Together that just…. Did not work for me at all, and I’m not averse to the avant garde mixed with BM. This just didn’t come together for me. I probably shouldn’t have been so harsh with my opinion sorry, I’ve been trying very hard to not yuck someone else’s yum.

BillRaygun
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:09 am 

ThePoop wrote:

wasent sure if this was gonna land with me but im digging Crawlspace

Underworld666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:19 pm 

Has anyone gave a Daisy Cutter a listen, it does not re-invent the wheel but is straight forward good Death Metal.

Bruce

Simfers
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:49 pm 

I don't know if they've been mentioned upthread, but Calgary speed metallers Traveler released their third album, Prequel to Madness, a couple of weeks ago. I loved their debut and thought Termination Shock was a slight step down, but man, this hits me juuuuuust right. Lovely stuff.

https://travelermetal.bandcamp.com/albu ... -madness-2

MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:17 pm 

This one came out of left field. If you’ve ever wanted electric guitars in your Ambient/Nordic//Whateverthefuck Folk, then this is for you. I almost passed this one up because Romuvos was a pretty standard (albeit decent) Folk Metal band until this point. They knocked it out of the park on this. Wonderful vocal/instrumental harmonies as well as top notch song writing. Hook after hook after hook and a massively cinematic sound make this an album I keep turning up. Romuvos also does a great job of not overstaying their welcome and keeps the variations in sound pretty fresh considering how niche it is on the surface. This scratched an itch I didn’t even know that I had.

Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:42 pm 

ThePoop wrote:
cultofkraken wrote:
Well that was awful.

What do you think, how many people actually are? Think there's something in the answer to that question.
It's pretty laughable, and basically 99% of the crappiness derives from the very concept itself being dead on arrival. Not that there's much of black metal on the bandcamp tracks, but eh, I'll go along with that tag that indicates the trailblazing and daringly innovative nature of the enterprise.

Anyhow, never listened to Madder Mortem before, pretty impressed by Old Eyes, New Heart.

hallowed78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:18 am 

New Theophonos (ex-Serpent Column) released yesterday. Almost missed this one with all the new releases coming out. More chaotic, dissonant riffing giving the Hoplites a run for its money.

https://theophonos.bandcamp.com/album/a ... uron-river

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:47 am 

Still not sure what to think of the new Chapel of Disease, but the new Spectral Voice and Contaminated albums are both rippers.

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:15 am 

hallowed78 wrote:
New Theophonos (ex-Serpent Column) released yesterday. Almost missed this one with all the new releases coming out. More chaotic, dissonant riffing giving the Hoplites a run for its money.

https://theophonos.bandcamp.com/album/a ... uron-river

Was just coming to post this one. It's really fucking good. My favorite moments of Serpent Column were when he'd mix in hardcore elements amidst the swirling black metal - he seems to have really leaned into that sound with Theophonos. This is some blistering and filthy blackened hardcore. Definitely my favorite release early on this year.

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:23 pm 

Speaking of blackened stuff that's abrasive and chaotic...

https://knollgrind.bandcamp.com/album/as-spoken

Blackened deathgrind with dissonance...?? I don't even know, but this is excellent.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:20 am 

I must say I'm very pleasantly surprised by the new Morbid Saint. Obviously it's nothing like you-know-what, nor could it ever be considering the time lapse between both albums, but it's honestly very good. As most people, I was also worried about the vocals, but I think they work just fine. Welcome back lads!

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:35 am 

therealvivs wrote:
Speaking of blackened stuff that's abrasive and chaotic...

https://knollgrind.bandcamp.com/album/as-spoken

Blackened deathgrind with dissonance...?? I don't even know, but this is excellent.

I think Knoll is going to be the next band of this type to cross over the way Full of Hell has. They've got that same blend of unhinged ferocity and unsettling experimentalism that has made FOH such a hit. There's also definitely some old-school Willowtip/Hydra Head/Robotic Empire vibes here with all the mathy tech bits.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:13 pm 

Generally I think Knoll has been just kinda throwing shit at walls and seeing what sticks with how different each of the albums have been, but I hope they stick to this one. Grindcore Portal is a rock solid idea.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:27 pm 

My take was more "Full of Hell + Akhlys + Kalibas", but that works too. I think this is going to be the album that really takes them places.

SanctuaryCat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:03 pm 

alkostach wrote:
Vemod - The Deepening
Very nice atmo black with some post elements, fresh.

Ok this is fantastic. Fits a niche nicely.

Cheers for the rec!

nikkytheyo
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:24 am 

Vassus "Warlike Madness"
raw medieval black metal with some synth... awful production, as it should be.
not AOTY, but more than worth your time, if you like the genre.

https://vassus.bandcamp.com/album/warlike-madness

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:23 pm 

Spider God released their second album a few days before the end of the year so I'm counting it as a 2024 release. Easily would have been in my top 5 of 2023. Melodic black metal with post-punk influences: https://spider-god.bandcamp.com/album/the-killing-room

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:10 pm 

mirons wrote:
It's been a week since the new Manticora is out. Sounds on par with their recent output, and has a tendency to grow, as is the norm with them.

I'm enjoying this album.

I don't know that I'm gonna like it as much as To Kill To Live To Kill, but that was also my introduction to them.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:08 pm 

The new Olhava is seriously beautiful and transcendent. One thing I will say, and this is not a critique from my standpoint: It does have the tendency to melt into background noise; and I mean that in the most positive/endearing way. I've found myself basically blissed out while hearing it.

The track Eternal Fire is especially majestic. Once I used a translate app to translate the lyrics to English, it became even more special.

https://olhava.bandcamp.com/album/sacrifice

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next