Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:18 pm 

Would've preferred another Khorada record, ngl.

Prairieshadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:32 pm 

I enjoyed the record ok generally, but the vocals were super not my thing.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:41 pm 

I think Marrow is great, but agree that it needs a remix/remaster. Which I did hear is in the works, so eagerly anticipating it!

I liked the Khorada record, though it is a grower for sure. I feel like I'm in the minority of folks who loved Pillorian, and have a hard time believing that the material on Obsidian Arc was NOT originally intended for the next Agalloch album, despite what John has said about it (it just sounds like such a natural continuation!).

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:17 pm 

FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
I think Marrow is great, but agree that it needs a remix/remaster. Which I did hear is in the works, so eagerly anticipating it!

I liked the Khorada record, though it is a grower for sure. I feel like I'm in the minority of folks who loved Pillorian, and have a hard time believing that the material on Obsidian Arc was NOT originally intended for the next Agalloch album, despite what John has said about it (it just sounds like such a natural continuation!).

Nah I agree about Pillorian. Absolutely loved that album, I was sad that’s all we got but I think that may be because you’re right it was intended to be an Agalloch album.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:49 pm 

Obsidian Arc wasn't bad, it wasn't amazing either. Pretty mid if you ask me.

PurpleDoom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:03 pm 

I like Obsidian Arc, but it would need every song to be as good as "Forged Iron Crucible" to match up to Agalloch's pedigree. At any rate, happy to see the guys playing together again, I had seen the podcast they did on Invisible Oranges but wasn't expecting them to properly reform.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:19 pm 

They have also announced a Portland show, September 23rd with the opening bands being Subrosa and Botanist side-projects: https://www.crystalballroompdx.com/even ... 6-Agalloch

Edit: Pale Folklore reissue announced as well: https://www.decibelmagazine.com/2023/06 ... order-now/

I think at this point it's safe to expect tours and maybe even new music.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:58 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
They have also announced a Portland show, September 23rd with the opening bands being Subrosa and Botanist side-projects: https://www.crystalballroompdx.com/even ... 6-Agalloch

Edit: Pale Folklore reissue announced as well: https://www.decibelmagazine.com/2023/06 ... order-now/

Fuck, I'm tempted to get on a plane. Agalloch in their home town???

I still think it's a bit early to expect full blown tours; they did say a limited amount of reunion showS, so they did imply more than 1 but not many. We'll see how this transpires.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:05 pm 

Bands always say that then change their minds once it's a success.

Ludicra announced their "final show" last year and they've had five more since then. I own a shirt from At The Gates that says Suicidal Final Tour 2008 wherein they promised it would be their last tour and they would never make music again.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:42 pm 

Yeah, it's gotten to the point where even the deaths of founding/original and core members does not mean the band isn't going to tour again. I no longer believe ANY band when they say it's the final/farewell show/album/tour.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:16 pm 

FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
narsilianshard wrote:

Fuck, I'm tempted to get on a plane. Agalloch in their home town???

I still think it's a bit early to expect full blown tours; they did say a limited amount of reunion showS, so they did imply more than 1 but not many. We'll see how this transpires.

Feels like they are testing the waters to see if they could actually make a full comeback. But something tells me I might be wrong. I'm tempted to go see them at one of the few shows they already announced. But it's a bit far from where I live, so I don't know...

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:19 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
Bands always say that then change their minds once it's a success.

Ludicra announced their "final show" last year and they've had five more since then. I own a shirt from At The Gates that says Suicidal Final Tour 2008 wherein they promised it would be their last tour and they would never make music again.

True. Then there's Emperor who reunited in the mid 2000s, then again for Nightside, and now they're on their everlasting Anthems tour (I'm not complaining! Clearly having fun playing the tunes and making money with them, and we get some sick shows. win/win all around!). I also have a Judas Priest shirt from the Epitaph tour in 2011 where it was supposed to be their farewell tour, then they put out Firepower.

I do have my doubts because of the past tensions with John and the rest of the gang, but we'll see how this all plays out. I'm going to ponder this heavily until the tickets go on sale Friday.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:55 pm 

I'm biased, but Portland is a great place to visit in Summer/Fall and one of the most metal cities on the planet. Even if they end up playing closer to you you're not gonna regret coming to their hometown reunion show.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:33 am 

narsilianshard wrote:
I'm biased, but Portland is a great place to visit in Summer/Fall and one of the most metal cities on the planet. Even if they end up playing closer to you you're not gonna regret coming to their hometown reunion show.

I was there last year for a week actually. It was in April and it rained literally every day and even snowed one morning. Other personal matters happened that ended up ruining the whole trip, but I do want to go back at some point because Portland very much is a bucket list city for me and I want to have a proper, enjoyable visit that isn't riddled with bullshit. I can tell it's a city with a ton of culture, and a music/arts scene unlike anything I've ever witnessed. I also want to see that fucking Thomson Elk, even if it's put back up somewhere else. Damn it, I must see the lord! :bow:

But that said I also just came back from a rather expensive vacation in San Francisco and September is one of the busiest times of year for my job, so I'm not fully sure if this is in the cards for me (as painful as that is to say). Still got a few days before tickets go on sale, so I'll give this more thought.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:31 am 

jimbies wrote:
Yeah, it's gotten to the point where even the deaths of founding/original and core members does not mean the band isn't going to tour again. I no longer believe ANY band when they say it's the final/farewell show/album/tour.

The older I get, the more value I put in bands who allow their brands to die and stay dead. Cathedral is still one of my favorite bands but I never want them to come back.

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:35 am 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
jimbies wrote:

The older I get, the more value I put in bands who allow their brands to die and stay dead. Cathedral is still one of my favorite bands but I never want them to come back.

Strangely enough, the older I get the more I appreciate bands where all the key members are dead, like Motorhead.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:10 am 

FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
narsilianshard wrote:

I was there last year for a week actually. It was in April and it rained literally every day and even snowed one morning.

Damn yeah, our winters and springs are brutal, but May through October are like a whole different world. As of now it hasn't rained in six weeks, everyone is way more chill and there are shows almost every night. The city just approved the budget to put the Elk back, would be awesome if it's back in time for the show so the band can reunite with their fifth member.

Lichtung002
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:08 pm 

This is a cool promo photo for the show, looks like it may have been taken at Timberline Lodge?

Neptune777
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:29 pm 

Looks like I'll be heading back to The Crystal in September.

Lyrici17
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:21 pm 

Somewhat related:

If you've never watched this video of Don Anderson giving a talk about metal/Agalloch before, it is absolutely worth your time.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:30 pm 

Lyrici17 wrote:
Somewhat related:

If you've never watched this video of Don Anderson giving a talk about metal/Agalloch before, it is absolutely worth your time.

Agreed. This is a real enjoyable watch.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:37 am 

Surprised no one posted this yet, but Agalloch announced a third show at Decibel Metal & Beer Fest in Denver, CO. Pretty stacked lineup, apparently they're on day 2.

(Spoiler due to size)
Spoiler: show

They also finally made an official Instagram. https://www.instagram.com/agalloch_official/

I caved and bought tickets for the Portland show, so I'm going to that. Would love to do this too, but I've already travelled a decent bit this year and it's getting expensive. What tipped the scale for me was hearing through the grapevine that apparently they only agreed to 3 shows initially (Denver being the 3rd) and if they went well, they might consider more in 2024.

The fact they made an Instagram seems promising that this reunion may be more indefinite (why would a band up their social media game if they weren't actually getting back together? Even Emperor doesn't have an official IG yet), and if you click the linktree in the bio, it has links to both their North American and Europe/South America/Asia booking agencies. So they're definitely making themselves available.

All that said, anyone who's paid attention to their interviews over the last few years can probably guess how much effort it took to get them to even THIS point, let alone a bigger tour or new music. Especially John, he was obviously the one who needed to budge. This band is what broke up their friendship in the first place, so I'm sure they don't want to play with fire again - I knew that if I held out for a Toronto date and it never came, I would forever be kicking myself for NOT doing this and seeing them one last time. (and if their IS a Toronto date in the future....I guess I'll see them again!)

CoF
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:31 am 

Well, that was one heck of a reunion show!

They definitely looked like they had a fun time there, and for me also had the perfect set-list (can't believe I got to see 'In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion live!)

Truly an experience I'm glad I was able to make in my life!

Totally unrelated to the topic, but still a very cool experience at the festival as well: I thought I'd wear my Order Of Outer Sounds shirts (from the exclusive membership the label Debemur Morti had going for two years) for this occasion, because I deemed it rather unlikely for others to wear it there, but what happened was that I got to meet several members of the Order because of wearing the shirt and being recognized! The world can be a small place sometimes...

Raven_Augustus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:00 am 

The setlist for that show looks amazing. A very good sampling of their best songs. Opening with Limbs is perfect, and Bloodbirds has one of the best build ups ever, so it's a perfect closer. I hope some quality recordings will be available, especially if these shows are just one-offs and not a full reunion.

(source: setlist.fm)
Limbs
Ghosts of the Midwinter Fires
Dark Matter Gods
Not Unlike the Waves
As Embers Dress the Sky
I Am the Wooden Doors
Dead Winter Days
In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion
Into the Painted Grey
Falling Snow
Our Fortress Is Burning... II: Bloodbirds

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:12 am 

Well given that their first performance went so well I think it's more likely than not that they decide to reform permanently. Even in the worst case scenario I could see them touring like Emperor does even if they don't release any new music. Would be cool to see them if they end up playing a show near me for sure.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:38 pm 

Great setlist! Seeing them create new social media accounts and booking more shows makes me hope for a full on reunion. Man, would that make me happy!

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:18 pm 

An amazing set for sure. I'm going to be seeing them in Portland next weekend (flying across the continent for 1 weekend, for 1 concert........YEH), and am hoping they play even more. Particularly I hope they play Odal; probably my favourite instrumental song of all time, and one that holds a ton of sentimental value to me. If they play it I'm 100% going to need a deep talk with my therapist when I get home.

But even if they don't play it, the fact they're getting on stage playing this music again just seems surreal.

Prairieshadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:31 pm 

Jason said on his podcast that they are "reformed" but they also talked about how that means many different things. I think they're just taking it as it goes at the moment.

largadeer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:42 pm 

For those that are flying into Portland for the Agalloch show this Saturday, take note that Bulldozer/Deceased/Ares Kingdom/Demiser are also playing Friday night at Dante's - quite the lineup.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:56 pm 

largadeer wrote:
For those that are flying into Portland for the Agalloch show this Saturday, take note that Bulldozer/Deceased/Ares Kingdom/Demiser are also playing Friday night at Dante's - quite the lineup.

Literally flying in from Toronto and then heading straight there. Hope to catch Ares Kingdom!

Prairieshadow wrote:
Jason said on his podcast that they are "reformed" but they also talked about how that means many different things. I think they're just taking it as it goes at the moment.

Yeah, on their instagram they made a post saying how it's great to be back, and I believe it was genuine, though on John's he noted how he was the one who needed convincing and is still "barely hanging on". We'll see how this goes; I'm not expecting new music any time soon and am not even sure if they'll tour.

Fuck, 2 more days!

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:16 am 

I'm a bit jealous of the folks who are going to see them live again soon!

I got the chance to catch them live twice in the past, and both were amazing experiences. Among my favorite shows of all time :-)

From_Wisdom_To_Mabt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:25 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:

I got the chance to catch them live twice in the past, and both were amazing experiences. Among my favorite shows of all time :-)

Me too. I saw them once in Chicago and again in Raleigh. I hope to see a NA tour that comes near me in 2024.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:26 am 

From_Wisdom_To_Mabt wrote:
HeavenDuff wrote:

Me too. I saw them once in Chicago and again in Raleigh. I hope to see a NA tour that comes near me in 2024.

Yeah! Same! I really hope they start touring again, and maybe even release new stuff :-)

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:14 am 

All my friends who went to the Portland show said the sound was terrible and it was a pretty underwhelming experience.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:40 am 

narsilianshard wrote:
All my friends who went to the Portland show said the sound was terrible and it was a pretty underwhelming experience.

Eh... sound is pretty much the thing the band has the least control upon during a show. It's disapointing for the fans, but doesn't really say much about how good the band actually was.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:54 am 

narsilianshard wrote:

I was there with some buddies and saying the sound was terrible is definitely a stretch. Aside from John's guitar perhaps being a bit quiet, the sound was very clear and well balanced. Not sure what your friends were hearing.

---

I caught a minor flu bug on the plane home (tested negative; I believe it was just shit air quality on the flight from Calgary to Toronto), but god damn what a fantastic show. The setlist was amazing, of course there are songs I wish they'd played *cough* Odal *cough* but I think I'd feel that way regardless of what set they had. They'd just need to play literally everything they wrote LOL - but Shadow still made me cry.

They were super into it on stage and it felt like they'd never left. Jason had his usual stoic but commanding presence, Don was moving around everywhere, jumping all over the place, would fall down and somehow levitate himself back up without missing a note. Without a doubt one of my favourite performers to watch. John's enthusiasm was genuine too, and he still had his share of witty sarcasm when talking to the crowd. "Wait! Wait! There's no WAY we have this many fans in Portland. Last I counted was like, 7. Which means a whole lot of you got on a plane to see us, which to me is crazy because there's no WAY I'd get on a plane to see a band I was in" :lol:

I waited by the guard rail afterwards and got the chance to meet them, get some pictures and share some kind words. They were super down to Earth and humble and very appreciative. I feel like John wasn't planning on coming down at the time he did, but one dude called out for 1 more signature on his vinyls and John gave a "why not?" shrug and came down, and he was noticeably more outwardly social and friendly than last time I met him in 2014 (he was still super cool then too, but was more reserved and needed to open up; perhaps he was already feeling the frustration that led to their breakup later). Very happy for that; I think I was too nervous too call out to him.

From chatting with them, I wouldn't get my hopes up for new music or big tours any time soon. Who knows what the future holds, but for now they're just having fun with it and I think that's for the best. But if that is the last time I get to see them, it was a damn good one and I'll hold that memory dear for a very long time.

largadeer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:30 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:

Sound was fine and the show itself was fantastic. They played for 2 hours and did something from each record.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:57 pm 

largadeer wrote:
narsilianshard wrote:

Sound was fine and the show itself was fantastic. They played for 2 hours and did something from each record.

I was surprised they played Not Unlike The Waves; I remember in past interviews when they spoke about how they don't really like Ashes, John called it a pop song :lol: maybe they warmed up to it, or just did some fan service. Either way, it was great to finally hear that song live! Would love them to play Fire Above, Ice Below.

Neptune777
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:45 am 

narsilianshard wrote:

It was one of the better sounding shows I've been to at the Crystal, aside from Thief, who sounded pretty bad. (Too much bass!)

Anyway, I thought Agalloch gave a spirited/energetic performance. And I'm glad I got to witness it.

Prairieshadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:55 am 

I'm not sure how anyone could have found that underwhelming.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next