Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:42 am 

Quote:
The makers of Prophecy Fest are thrilled and proud to announce that US metal legends Agalloch - The Official Page have agreed to perform their much longed for reunion show in the original line-up exclusively in the Cave of Balve this year.

https://www.facebook.com/events/5161760 ... =permalink

red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:40 am 

Wow, interesting. I love Agalloch and this can be their return as a full band. Who will play drums?
Not hearsay but the will of man

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:09 am 

They'll have Hunter Ginn on drums

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:00 am 

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:04 am 

Yes, that was necessary.

Here's the Metal Injection article that just came out. Looks like there will be a small handful of shows. https://metalinjection.net/news/reunite ... -september

I'm not going to hold my breath for new material. I'm just going to appreciate that they're doing this. There's a saying - don't be sad that it's over, be glad that it happened.

I just might have to get on a plane for this. Or if they do North American shows at all - I'll gladly go back to Portland just for this.

Excuse me while I go cry.

CoF
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:33 am 

Good thing I already had my ticket before that announcement. With bands like Darkspace, Disillusion, My Dying Bride, Bethlehem among others already confirmed, this is just the icing on the cake.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:49 am 

CoF wrote:
Good thing I already had my ticket before that announcement. With bands like Darkspace, Disillusion, My Dying Bride, Bethlehem among others already confirmed, this is just the icing on the cake.

The lineup looks great indeed - I don't know if I can pull off a flight to Germany this year considering some other things I already have planned, but it's tempting as hell. Never been to Europe...

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:59 am 

Huh, I thought the other members had cut ties with John after he outed himself as an antisemite.

Lichtung002
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:16 am 

Massive news, really delighted to see them back together. Agree that this is something to celebrate and appreciate in and of itself, but at the same time can't help but wonder about the possibility of new material at some point down the line. Such a special band.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:53 am 

narsilianshard wrote:
Huh, I thought the other members had cut ties with John after he outed himself as an antisemite.

Well, he did say he was sorry I guess

Forever Underground
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:55 am 

narsilianshard wrote:

Quote:
On the other hand, the other members of the band condemned the comments, and later had this to say regarding the incident:

"...then he made that anti-Semitic comment on Facebook that I, Jason, and Aesop condemned. We still condemn it. But, I think it’s critical that our culture does more than “call out” bad behavior, but tries to call someone in and discuss things like this. The first person I emailed after our statement condemning the comment was John. John’s comment accelerated our meeting and we not only talked about the breakup, but we talked about his comment. We discussed the ways it was harmful. I’m not defending him in this regard, but having been close friends with him for over twenty years and this being the first time I had ever seen him say anything anti-Semitic, I felt it necessary to talk with him and reach an understanding. I know John regrets the comment."

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:20 pm 

Sounds like he regrets the dumb shit he said.

Hopefully, this comes to the U.S.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:14 pm 

John's not a nazi. He's an edgelord, and a bit of a fucking goof sometimes, but he's not a nazi. Aside from his initial apology, he also has done interviews since then where he admitted he needed to work on his self-awareness, even if the edgy part of his personality will always be there to some degree.

I also love this quote from Don, and couldn't agree more with it. I love the way he put it.

Quote:
But, I think it’s critical that our culture does more than “call out” bad behavior, but tries to call someone in and discuss things like this.

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:39 pm 

Always wanted to see them life before when they was active, so this is killer news.
Might actually go to this festival, booked a hotel just now,haha!

Damn!

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:24 pm 

Not going to lie, I saw them live and it was super boring.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:54 pm 

Agreed. They are one of my favorite bands ever, and I was lucky enough to catch them a few times, and they were massively disappointing. They are quintessential headphone music; stripping back all those layers to just two guitars in a live setting doesn't work, and John's live vocals are just plain bad:

Raven_Augustus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:57 pm 

Fantastic! I got into Agalloch only after they broke up, and they have turned out to be one of my favourite bands of all time. I live a couple of countries away from Germany, but it might be worth taking the trip if this is a limited set of shows rather than the beginning of a full reunion.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:20 pm 

I saw them twice and they sounded great and performed phenomenally both times. Blew me away.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:50 pm 

I saw Agalloch a total of three times, and it was always amazing! They are a solid band live, and I loved meeting the guys, especially Don Anderson. He's a very smart person, and also quite welcoming and humble.

I hope they will play more then just a few shows. It would be amazing to catch them live again!

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:04 pm 

I have also seen them three times and this makes me extremely happy to see if for nothing other than it seems like they’ve buried the hatchet. I don’t think that fest is doable for me but it sounds really cool, playing in a cave? That’s awesome.

From_Wisdom_To_Mabt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:36 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:

They buried the hatchet a few years ago. Not sure about Aesop, but he, Don, and Jason have all been seen in pictures together on John's Instagram since all of that went down.

This is great news. I hope this is a rekindling of something new down the road, or perhaps even a new tour. I always felt that Agalloch should do an unplugged show for a live DVD one day, and I'd like to cling to this pipe dream as a possibility eventually.

Last edited by From_Wisdom_To_Mabt on Mon May 08, 2023 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:44 pm 

Yeah, it's hard to keep up with whatever happened between John and the other guys if you didn't actively try to stay informed on the subject. They've made some interviews and addressed the subject over the years. But with the band being disbanded, it's not like the media really made a big fuss out of these discussions, and it's easy to see how a lot of people didn't know that John had reconcilled with Don, but also that John apologized for the edgy shit he said in the past.

Anyway. I'm not expecting much out of this, but if they could tour a bit more, I'd love it. And if they ever felt like reforming, it would be absolutely amazing, although I'm not really expecting it to happen.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:54 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
I saw Agalloch a total of three times, and it was always amazing! They are a solid band live, and I loved meeting the guys, especially Don Anderson. He's a very smart person, and also quite welcoming and humble.

I hope they will play more then just a few shows. It would be amazing to catch them live again!

When I met Don Anderson the second time, he was looking at me with a tired and slightly dopey smile (maybe just exhausted, but maybe a bit high too) and I was telling him how much his band meant to me and literally right in the middle of my sentence, he's just like "ohh..." and bends down and hugs me. I was like "Oh! We're hugging!" and probably sounded like a complete goof, but I swear I fucking felt loved in that moment. Don Anderson is such a swell fella. The other guys were cool as hell too.

From_Wisdom_To_Mabt wrote:
They buried the hatchet a few years ago. Not sure about Aesop, but he, Don, and John have all been seen in pictures together on John's Instagram since all of that went down.

This is great news. I hope this is a rekindling of something new down the road, or perhaps even a new tour. I always felt that Agalloch should do an unplugged show for a live DVD one day, and I'd like to cling to this pipe dream as a possibility eventually.

Yeah, Aesop and John aren't friends unfortunately. I get the impression that both are cool dudes on their own, but personality-wise they just don't mesh, even with John's apologies in consideration.

An unplugged show would be fucking amazing - The White EP in full? Sign me the fuck up.

HeavenDuff wrote:
Yeah, it's hard to keep up with whatever happened between John and the other guys if you didn't actively try to stay informed on the subject. They've made some interviews and addressed the subject over the years. But with the band being disbanded, it's not like the media really made a big fuss out of these discussions, and it's easy to see how a lot of people didn't know that John had reconcilled with Don, but also that John apologized for the edgy shit he said in the past.

Anyway. I'm not expecting much out of this, but if they could tour a bit more, I'd love it. And if they ever felt like reforming, it would be absolutely amazing, although I'm not really expecting it to happen.

Pretty much where I stand. I'd of course love a tour, new music, etc. but considering how much effort it likely took to get the guys (especially John) to THIS point, I'm not gonna hold my breath and will just be grateful for whatever does happen. The fact they're playing music together again is just so heartwarming after the messy way the band ended. I'll catch one of these shows. I'll find a way.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:01 pm 

FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
The fact they're playing music together again is just so heartwarming after the messy way the band ended.

On that note, here's a cool clip from Jason's instagram from a few days ago. His ambient project Moonbladder played a gig where John opened playing his solo material, and this is a clip where Jason is joined by both Don and John.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CrHoi7lprka/

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:17 pm 

FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
Yeah, Aesop and John aren't friends unfortunately. I get the impression that both are cool dudes on their own, but personality-wise they just don't mesh, even with John's apologies in consideration.

Does anyone even want Aesop back? He was such a poor stylistic fit for the band, as John has publicly stated in recent years. Punk drummer in an artsy metal band never made any sense to me.

the_bard_of_osyrhia
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:18 pm 

I caught them live back in 2015 in Glasgow and while they were ace there seemed something missing. I did have a great time at the show though and I'd be very glad to see them again. Really cool that they're playing as as group again!

http://www.last.fm/user/Argaalofthemyst

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:29 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:

Does anyone even want Aesop back? He was such a poor stylistic fit for the band, as John has publicly stated in recent years. Punk drummer in an artsy metal band never made any sense to me.

Personally I thought Aesop's contributions fit well, and that he added a good energy throughout the records he was on. Perhaps a drummer with a different background would have come up with different ideas, but his performances are what we've got and I find them enjoyable.

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:06 pm 

I actually always thought Aesop was an iffy fit for Agalloch as well. I wouldn't say his performances necessarily hurt my enjoyment of the albums he was on, but I much prefer the drumming on Ashes Against the Grain compared to the albums that came after. I guess he added an interesting dynamic to the group, but to me he was always the member who was least essential to the band's sound.

In terms of the reunion, it's cool to see them back together and playing shows. I'd be surprised if we didn't see a full-fledged tour and a new album. There's a lot of hype behind Agalloch - and rightly so in my opinion. Regardless of what John has said or done, the first three Agalloch albums will always be some of my favorite records of all time.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:56 am 

praey wrote:
Regardless of what John has said or done, the first three Agalloch albums will always be some of my favorite records of all time.

This is how I feel. I wasn't aware he had apologized or discussed what happened at length with the band, but I've also met Don a number of times and he seems like a very honest person with a ton of integrity so if he vouches for John then that's all I need. Those first three albums are some of the most incredible releases in the history of metal and nothing will ever change that.

Kaleva
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:21 pm 

I don't think I've ever been so excited about music news. Hope this leads to a new album. I enjoyed Khôrada (id didnt' last long), Pillorian and Haughm's 1865//1895: CAST.IRON.BLOOD., .but they can't be compared to Agalloch (plus, their bands didn't last long).

Raven_Augustus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:55 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
praey wrote:
Regardless of what John has said or done, the first three Agalloch albums will always be some of my favorite records of all time.

This is how I feel. I wasn't aware he had apologized or discussed what happened at length with the band, but I've also met Don a number of times and he seems like a very honest person with a ton of integrity so if he vouches for John then that's all I need. Those first three albums are some of the most incredible releases in the history of metal and nothing will ever change that.

They are one of your favorite bands of all time (in your own words), but you couldn't be bothered to even Google if they reconciled before making a fool of yourself? That's pretty low effort fandom.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:55 am 

What a fool I am! Not regularly searching through news archives on bands that broke up years ago. Sorry, dad, I'll try to fanboy harder next time.

Raven_Augustus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:07 pm 

It's okay. I guess I can't really fault you for being ignorant.

Prairieshadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:42 am 

HeavenDuff wrote:

Agreed, I've seen them twice and it was always a great experience. Hoping I can get to one of the other shows they mentioned.

These guys have been doing some interviews together in the last year, so I can't say I'm completely blindsided but this is a phenomenal development. In particular the Screaming Bloody Oranges podcast they did about Of Stone Wind and Pillor, also this interview: https://www.heaviestofart.com/post/the- ... h-agalloch

Raven_Augustus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:20 am 

That's a great interview, and yeah it's amazing to hear them be together and talk about their band.

Here is a written one. It's amazingly detailed about The Mantle in particular, and how the concept of the songs are tied to Portland and their own experiences, and what influenced them.
https://www.heaviestofart.com/post/the- ... h-agalloch

SmallPoxie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:48 pm 

LET'S FUCKING GOOOO
Agalloch is the band that made me realize that I like Black Metal.
I personally think it's going to be a "proper farewell show", I could be wrong though

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:41 am 

narsilianshard wrote:
praey wrote:

Don't forget about Marrow Of The Spirit, though!

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:11 pm 

Meh. There are some good songs on Marrow, but the production is terrible and it's nowhere near as cohesive an album as the first three.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:12 pm 

I prefer Marrow over Pale Folklore.

Raven_Augustus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:43 pm 

Same here. Marrow has excellent songwriting, and I have come to appreciate the production style more with repeated listens. It's almost experimental compared to the general sound of the other albums. I wish it had more clean singing though.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next