Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:14 am 

morbert wrote:
Ace_Rimmer wrote:
Without ZP DF doesn't do it for me.

Poor you! EPM was their best album since SF and ZP has absolutely nothing to do with it.
They did not fall off any cliff. Not at all

Yeah it really was one of their best, which was a surprise because nobody really seemed to like their previous few too much. EPM could've been written in 2005 or so - really catchy and strong.

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:26 am 

They are a European arena band right now, but I seriously feel if Nightwish puts out another Human Nature those arena fans will flee in droves.

Period

The greatest post in M-A history:

~Guest 21181 wrote:
The Legions of the Teabagged:
vacantmind - DURR GOATSE IS FOONY (If you meet this guy, please pour hot lead down his anus).

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:36 am 

I could easily imagine them continuing to play arenas due to their legacy alone, if I'm being honest. Their album sales have clearly diminished compared to their commercial peak circa Anette Olzon, though this could be due in part to people mostly streaming these days. That's not the entire reason though - their singles don't hit as big anymore either. I feel like Sabaton have overtaken them in popularity (ouch).

Gravetemplar wrote:
The only good Orchid are from Massachusetts.

Trve American skramz (I fucking hate that word) baby!

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:53 am 

LycanthropeMoon wrote:
I feel like Sabaton have overtaken them in popularity (ouch).

Eh, I'd say they are about even right now, but it could still happen. Ghost have definitely overtaken Nightwish in global popularity.

Period

~Guest 21181 wrote:
vacantmind - DURR GOATSE IS FOONY (If you meet this guy, please pour hot lead down his anus).

greywanderer7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:52 pm 

Also, there was a time where Cult of Fire was pretty popular and everyone in the BM scene were hyping them up. Somehow they failed to deliver on that hype and their popularity died down.

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:01 pm 

A lot of the bands who opened most of the metal tours in the US during the 2010’s (Blackguard, Swashbuckle, Black Fast, Holy Grail, Black Crown Initiate, etc.) seemed like they would gain some sort of momentum, even if some metal fans were beyond tired of seeing them on EVERY tour. However, many of these bands have kinda just fizzled out and you don’t hear much from them anymore.

Augury is another one. Kinda surprised they never reached the same level of success as Obscura, Beyond Creation, Revocation and other similar bands, which is a shame since I’ve always enjoyed their output. Concealed and Fragmentary Evidence were some of the best examples of modern prog/tech death.

Ivan Drago
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:12 pm 

MeavyHetal wrote:
Augury is another one. Kinda surprised they never reached the same level of success as Obscura, Beyond Creation, Revocation and other similar bands, which is a shame since I’ve always enjoyed their output. Concealed and Fragmentary Evidence were some of the best examples of modern prog/tech death.

Augury are great, but they've put out three albums in about 20 years, with a 10 year gap between their last two. They were never going to reach the level of the other bands with that sort of output

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:31 pm 

Augury also was not cut out for touring and burned out extremely fast, and a lot of those other bands just bought on to far too many tours and made people get sick of them, and usually also got fucked over by their label and/or management.

Space_alligator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:38 pm 

LycanthropeMoon wrote:

Gravetemplar wrote:
The only good Orchid are from Massachusetts.

Trve American skramz (I fucking hate that word) baby!

...and some prefer skramz over scremo

Hecatomb867
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:22 pm 

Black Crown Initiate is a good mention. Those guys had everything going for them and seemed poised to get huge around 2014 but could never really build off the hype of their EP.

The same seems to be true for a lot of the 2010's tech/prog death bands. Stuff like The Faceless, Rivers of Nihil, Virvum, Beyond Creation, Vale of Pnath, Alterbeast, Inferi.... I could go on and on. This stuff was all the rage just 5-6 years ago and I haven't heard anyone anywhere mention any of these names in quite some time.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:13 pm 

Hecatomb867 wrote:
Black Crown Initiate is a good mention. Those guys had everything going for them and seemed poised to get huge around 2014 but could never really build off the hype of their EP.

The same seems to be true for a lot of the 2010's tech/prog death bands. Stuff like The Faceless, Rivers of Nihil, Virvum, Beyond Creation, Vale of Pnath, Alterbeast, Inferi.... I could go on and on. This stuff was all the rage just 5-6 years ago and I haven't heard anyone anywhere mention any of these names in quite some time.

BCI got robbed blind by eOne/MNRK and then the pandemic destroyed their attempt at a comeback and they couldn't catch a break, The Faceless cooked their own goose because of Michael Keene, Rivers of Nihil is doing very well these days but also largely abandoned that scene, Virvum just kinda goes at their own pace, BC lost a LOT of momentum from the pandemic, Vale of Pnath abandoned the genre but is doing well, and Alterbeast is basically done because Andrew is a fucking loser who makes everyone regret playing for him.

A lot of it was the pandemic - it would probably still be huge if a lot of bands didn't have their tours cut off. You'll probably see a bit of a resurgence, but the 2016-2019 glory days are over and most of those bands found other circles to hang in.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:36 pm 

I don't think tech death is particularly popular these days outside of a select few bands. Archspire are probably the biggest band operating in that space these days, outside of Revocation if you count them as part of that scene. Obscura are still doing pretty well for themselves but they've kind of moved away a bit from their usual tech/prog death sound on their last album. Beyond Creation was getting a fair amount of attention a few years ago but I think they've cooled off since then.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:54 pm 

We'll see if the new Job for a Cowboy gives it a shot in the arm, because Sun Eater was a watershed album in that genre and influenced a ton of bands, and the new one will be in that vein per the band.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:05 pm 

JFAC still has a big following even after being on hiatus for so many years so I could certainly see new material from them breathing some new life into the tech death movement. A newer band I have my eye on is Freedom of Fear from Australia. Their last album got a lot of praise in metal publications and I think their brand of technical melodic black/death metal could catch on, it's a bit different than the Artisan Era bands that play a similar style.

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:28 pm 

I was just thinking of Job for a Cowboy for this thread. It could be since they haven't put out an album since 2014, though. I don't see a new album restoring them anywhere close to their late 2000s/early 2010s popularity, if they even make another one.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:33 am 

Required Fields wrote:
I was just thinking of Job for a Cowboy for this thread. It could be since they haven't put out an album since 2014, though. I don't see a new album restoring them anywhere close to their late 2000s/early 2010s popularity, if they even make another one.

They're at least as big as they were in the MySpace era and possibly even bigger now, and the new album is actively being made.

Nocturnal_Evil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:46 pm 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
Without ZP DF doesn't do it for me.

This man speaks the truth. Marc's albums have their high points, to be fair, but no album since ZP has been consistent for me. Valley of the Damned through Ultra Beatdown was a legendary album run, and one of the best in power metal history.

Honestly, I'd say Amon Amarth fits into this thread's category, and rightly so. Talk about a fall from grace!

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:11 pm 

Zerberus wrote:
LilTito wrote:
I really wanna say Bolzer because they were the celebrated upcomers in like 2015 but i dont see many people talking about them these days, however they do have a very passionate fanbase. Im not sure

Came here to say Bölzer as well. I had straight up forgotten they existed until an acquaintance brought them up recently.

I thought the band's name was Blözza? My bad.

I know this thread is more about 2000s band and onwards, but there are some definite 1990's examples who've mismanaged their careers. Look at Tiamat in 1995 to 1997 and they're billed highly on big festivals. Nowadays, however, it seems like their appeal has grown more selective, shall we say.

nakzox
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:48 pm 

Skeletonwitch perhaps? They were pretty damn consistent, and releasing albums pretty much every other year for a point, then they seemed to not be the same after the vocalist change, and they haven't done anything since 2018, and you don't really hear much about them at all anymore.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:57 pm 

I'm gonna say, though I'm not sure how big they were, Summon from Michigan. They had two albums of stellar black/death (...and the Blood Runs Black and Fallen), then two members get in a fight, and the band falls off the face of the Earth and is practically forgotten.

King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:03 pm 

Visigoth were the hottest new thing in the trad metal revival scene 5 years ago, but their last proper tour and release were in 2019 and there hasn't been much of a clue as to what they're doing now.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:30 pm 

King_of_Arnor wrote:
Visigoth were the hottest new thing in the trad metal revival scene 5 years ago, but their last proper tour and release were in 2019 and there hasn't been much of a clue as to what they're doing now.

Pretty sure they're working on new shit, plus I get the sense that they're deliberately trying to not get too big because they don't want to have to deal with the pressure.

HisZvironistOverlord
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:14 am 

I remember Christian Mistress getting a bunch of hype about a decade ago and then never hearing anything again.. shame cause I really liked what they put out.

That applies to a lot of that classic sounding heavy metal that was pretty hyped about 10 years ago... Holy Grail, Witchcraft, Cauldron, Blood Ceremony, in solitude (though I think they split)

Also, I thought Torche was gonna be the next Mastodon

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:18 am 

Frank Booth wrote:
King_of_Arnor wrote:

Pretty sure they're working on new shit, plus I get the sense that they're deliberately trying to not get too big because they don't want to have to deal with the pressure.

That is so lame if that's the case. The entire point of traditional metal is to get big and supplant whatever douchey buttrock is in the mainstream.

But I just figured Visigoth got killed by the pandemic. Only looking at setlist.fm I can see they're still somewhat active playing shows. Or at least whatever people will book them for, including a gig opening for Fit For An Autopsy and Killswitch Engage.

Period

~Guest 21181 wrote:

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:39 am 

KaiKasparek wrote:
The entire point of traditional metal is to get big and supplant whatever douchey buttrock is in the mainstream.

The point of traditional metal is to play traditional metal and give zero fucks about the mainstream.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:10 am 

King_of_Arnor wrote:

I hope they'll make a huge comeback. Conqueror's Oath felt like they were on an upward trajectory.

~Guest 1413143
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:18 am 

Solstafir! The Hype is over

I dont think In Solitude counts, since they did split up - im sure that if they would return there would be a huge interest.

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:19 pm 

greywanderer7 wrote:
Also, there was a time where Cult of Fire was pretty popular and everyone in the BM scene were hyping them up. Somehow they failed to deliver on that hype and their popularity died down.

It was probably because they took 7 years to release another album, despite releasing a few EPs and a live album in between.

Cheapsteaks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:53 am 

Quote:
Honestly, I'd say Amon Amarth fits into this thread's category, and rightly so. Talk about a fall from grace!

I'm not totally sure about that one. I saw them on their tour in a venue with a capacity of around 4500, it wasn't completely full, but it was definitely packed and energetic. Their musical quality might have diminished and they might not be at their peak quality, but I wouldn't say they've fallen off a cliff like most of the other bands mentioned in this topic.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:01 am 

Yeah, Amon Amarth hasn't been inspired for a minute, but holy fuck they're big.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:59 pm 

draconiondevil wrote:
greywanderer7 wrote:

It was probably because they took 7 years to release another album, despite releasing a few EPs and a live album in between.

Yeah and that double album wasn't that good compared to previous albums. Also most EPs were trash.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:40 am 

Twin_guitar_attack wrote:
Bolzer - yeah this is a good one, I honestly thought around the time of Aura they could've become as popular or influential as DSO for the 2010s. But Soma did nothing for me, their album was ok but a very strange choice with the change in sound, and I have to say I haven't heard anything they've done since then. To be honest this thread is the first time I've seen the name mentioned anywhere in a long while outside of most of the way down on a festival lineup.

I think it was the Hero album that fucked with Bolzer's momentum - the first 3 EPs/demos were super well received, especially Aura, and there was a metric fuckton of hype over a debut full length. Then the change in style - as you said - was too polarizing for a lot of people, especially the vocals that kept getting compared to Mastodon. It wasn't what most people were expecting or hoping, and even when I saw Bolzer not long after the album came out, most people were wanting to hear the EP material. When Lese Majesty came out (I had to search it up to remember the name), I only caught wind of it because of seeing it in a random list of records that came out around the time (I don't even think it was a year-end list). Seemed like most people were in a similar boat, from my observations.

I like Cult Of Fire - the double album they put out had some great moments on it, even if it was a little more conventional and straightforward compared to Ascetic Mediation Of Death. It just took a while for that to come out. Curious how their sound will change now that they have a new vocalist and Tomas Corn retired from playing drums (so much for that 2nd Lykathea Aflame record :cry: ). But they still seem to be playing decent shows. Just wish they kept an aesthetic similar to Ascetic... as the giant snake chairs are a little bit much.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:45 am 

The Bolzer 'Hero' album was easily my favorite thing they did. I should revisit that.

Eternal Unity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:55 am 

Andromeda. I contacted them, asked about any plans for live shows or album and they said that. at the moment, their activity is at a minimum. It was either Martin or David, can't remember...

Adagio - a big hiatus. But, we got a decent album after all. (Life - 2017)
Rejoin my soul with thine

Eternal Unity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:58 am 

Frank Booth wrote:
Yeah, Amon Amarth hasn't been inspired for a minute, but holy fuck they're big.

One Sent From The Golden Hall is solid.
Rejoin my soul with thine

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:45 am 

HisZvironistOverlord wrote:
I remember Christian Mistress getting a bunch of hype about a decade ago and then never hearing anything again.. shame cause I really liked what they put out.

Christian Mistress is the one that bums me out the most. I love their 3 albums and with all the hype it seemed like they're going to blow up but all their fans seemed to just drift away. I feel like they're almost too mature sounding for the type of kick ass heavy metal/hard rock that they play. They don't really have the beer drinking/hell raisin' sound and feeling that a lot of these types of bands usually have.

untappd: patrick_g

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:52 pm 

thrashmaniac87 wrote:
HisZvironistOverlord wrote:

Christian Mistress is the one that bums me out the most. I love their 3 albums and with all the hype it seemed like they're going to blow up but all their fans seemed to just drift away. I feel like they're almost too mature sounding for the type of kick ass heavy metal/hard rock that they play. They don't really have the beer drinking/hell raisin' sound and feeling that a lot of these types of bands usually have.

Well...the band essentially just stopped functioning. I really liked them, too, but it wasn't like fans turned on them or lost interest because they released a shitty album, the band just ceased all activity. I don't think they even said anything about it until a few years later when Bandcamp wrote them up and people were posting it on their Facebook page.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:54 pm 

Two other names that come to mind are Kylesa and Windhand. With Kylesa I remember there being a lot of hyper around them, metal publications hailing them as the next Mastodon etc. but they didn't achieve even a fraction of that success and are now on hiatus. Windhand similarly got a lot of buzz but haven't released a studio album since 2018 and I don't hear much talk about them nowadays.

Horned_Owl_Holocaust
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:24 pm 

Scary Symmetry got on some good tours and were getting some positive attention for a little bit way back when. Haven't heard anything about them in years.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:42 pm 

Been a while but what happened to 3 Inches of Blood?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next