Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:48 pm 

Scanner - Hypertrace (1988)
I don't think this is as much Helloween as people say. Sure, it's German speed metal and it has some relationship, but I think that was just what was in the air in Germany at that time. They are balancing on the cusp of power metal, but it is mainly speed metal and they definitely have their own voice and sound.
The songwriting is very crafty and ingenious with subtle twists and turns, the riffs are great, lots of speed and unhinged vocals in the best way possible. 5/5

Why aren't more metal bands writing about space and sci-fi? It's a subject that works great.

A typical song: Warp 7
https://youtu.be/i09i8dctMlo

Scanner - Terminal Earth (1989)
They are progressing backwards. The songwriting is more conventional here and they are leaning towards a more melodic and mainstream sound. Still good songs, but what really drags it down for me is the singer. He's got all these different styles and some are better than others. The lyrics are best left un-analyzed. 4/5

A typical song: Terminal Earth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEF-QOZNc8U

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:50 pm 

Two of the greatest albums ever. I know I'm in the minority, but for me, Terminal Earth is better than Hypertrace, and SL Coe is a big reason why. Those songs are endlessly catchy. But you can't go wrong with either pick, and everyone should definitely own both.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:27 pm 

Scorpions - Tokyo Tapes (1978)
What a terrific album this is! No fillers, only killers! As per usual with old live albums, there's such an intensity and energy in the performance.
But best of all, this is the Uli Jon Roth show. He's such a unique guitarist. He knows all the modes, and then some I think he made up himself. He plays notes I don't think I have on my guitar. 5/5

A typical song: All Night Long
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9SVJJSlrZg

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:29 pm 

Opus wrote:
What a terrific album this is! No fillers, only killers! As per usual with old live albums, there's such an intensity and energy in the performance.
But best of all, this is the Uli Jon Roth show. He's such a unique guitarist. He knows all the modes, and then some I think he made up himself. He plays notes I don't think I have on my guitar. 5/5

I gotta get this.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:28 pm 

MetlaNZ wrote:
I gotta get this.

You should. Everybody should.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:29 pm 

Secret Sphere - Scent of Human Desire (2003)
Power metal core? This is like those metal core bands that do the tough guy screaming in the verses followed by the poppiest pop choruses, only it's Italian power metal. It's about equally bad though. 2/5

A typical song: Surrounding
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERl92yBdczI

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:39 pm 

Semlah - Semlah (2009)
Doom metal with the original bassist from Count Raven. It's classic doom, a bit melodic, with lots of heavy riffs and a clean singer.
Apparently they existed for eleven years, but only managed one album, which is a shame. They had their own sound, and I would have loved to hear where they would take it. It's also odd that the members haven't done anything else, since the musicianship here is first class.
The only small complaint I have is that it should have been more bass. More low end and more of independent bass lines. 4/5

A typical song: Axioms of Life
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-1ZaUi3_g4

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:38 am 

Even if you aren't a big Secret Sphere guy, you should check out their album Portrait of a Dying Heart. It has Michele Luppi on vocals (from Vision Divine), who is way better than their normal singer, and the songwriting is the best they've ever had.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:03 pm 

I always mix up Secret Sphere and Vision Divine. That's probably why even got this album. The singer is not the problem, he's good. Sounds a bit like Robert Tiranti at times. It's the failed music mixing experiment that's the problem.

I have one Vision Divine album with Luppi, great singer! I think I need to get their latest too, their new singer seems absolutely brilliant.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTSJXi3kQUs

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:04 pm 

Sex Machineguns - Heavy Metal Thunder (2005)
A case where the sum is less than it's parts. Now I like variation on an album, but not when it varies between great songs and pretty much unlistenable shit songs. It starts off with two great songs in a Lodness/Accept vein, but speedier. Then it all goes pear shaped. There are some weird thrash/grind songs, a keyboardy power metal song, some boring songs, some strange songs. Titles like Brazil Carnival, Yakiniku Party, Dancing Manager... Shame, cause they know how to write good songs and the guitar leads are fantastic, as it often is with Japanese bands.
I read that that the singer has a weird sense of humor, and yeah, it's obviously not my kind of humor. 2/5

One of the good songs: The Legendary Catchball
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diIv20eNPsk

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:07 pm 

All three of the Vision Divine albums with Luppi are absolutely fucking great.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:00 pm 

Shadow - Shadow (2001)
If you miss the early days of Swedish melodic death metal, check out this Gothenburg band from Japan. The guitar leads are lifted from In Flames, while the music sounds more like Dark Tranquillity. The singer also sounds like Mikael Stanne, without the agony.
Well made, but unfortunately it gets a bit one dimensional and somewhat mechanical in the long run. A strong 3/5.

A typical song: Beyond The Drizzly Nights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvxuJ0TqYM0

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:01 pm 

Opus wrote:

Indeed. An absolutely stellar live release and arguably the greatest Scorpions opus.
It's shocking to consider how many classic live albums were released in the 70s.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:37 pm 

Opus wrote:
Shadow - Shadow (2001)
If you miss the early days of Swedish melodic death metal, check out this Gothenburg band from Japan. The guitar leads are lifted from In Flames, while the music sounds more like Dark Tranquillity. The singer also sounds like Mikael Stanne, without the agony.
Well made, but unfortunately it gets a bit one dimensional and somewhat mechanical in the long run. A strong 3/5.

A typical song: Beyond The Drizzly Nights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvxuJ0TqYM0

You don't consider Melodeath to be extreme metal?

darthlazy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:08 pm 

Spiner202 wrote:
Even if you aren't a big Secret Sphere guy, you should check out their album Portrait of a Dying Heart. It has Michele Luppi on vocals (from Vision Divine), who is way better than their normal singer, and the songwriting is the best they've ever had.

I came here to say this!
Michele Luppi can sing a 1980's phone book and I would sit through the whole thing!!
If you havent heard the concept record he did on Stephen King's The Dead Zone, with Killing Touch you are missing out!
check it out, you wont be disappointed.

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Ki ... 3540280526

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:05 pm 

Thexhumed wrote:
You don't consider Melodeath to be extreme metal?

Nothing extreme about that, as you can hear.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:06 pm 

darthlazy wrote:
If you havent heard the concept record he did on Stephen King's The Dead Zone, with Killing Touch you are missing out!
check it out, you wont be disappointed.

Will do. I am a sucker for concept albums.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:55 pm 

Shadows Fall - Of One Blood (2000)
Another nice find, haven't really listened to this. Think I bought it when I saw them live opening up for someone around 2000.
I like this. A lot of US power metal, a bit like Iced Earth with d-beats. But there's also a lot of twin guitars, acoustic bits, some growls, some cleans, melodic guitar solos, some shreddy sweeping, some groove metal riffing, and that's just the first song.
Very varied and dynamic songwriting, and though I don't love every one of the singers different voices it doesn't bother me much. 4/5

A typical song: Of One Blood
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qKOS8zZ8VE

darthlazy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:45 pm 

Opus wrote:
Shadows Fall - Of One Blood (2000)
Another nice find, haven't really listened to this. Think I bought it when I saw them live opening up for someone around 2000.
I like this. A lot of US power metal, a bit like Iced Earth with d-beats. But there's also a lot of twin guitars, acoustic bits, some growls, some cleans, melodic guitar solos, some shreddy sweeping, some groove metal riffing, and that's just the first song.
Very varied and dynamic songwriting, and though I don't love every one of the singers different voices it doesn't bother me much. 4/5

A typical song: Of One Blood
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qKOS8zZ8VE

That was the King Diamond House of God tour, they were opening for.
The first time I saw Shadows Fall.
Good Times!

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:37 pm 

Sinergy - Beware the Heavens (1999)
I really dislike the term "background music". Music should be respected and listened to actively. That being said, this is the perfect background music album. It's very well made, and completely inoffensive.
With three songwriters of this caliber - Alex Laiho, Jesper Strömblad, Ronny Milianowicz - you would expect the music to be something special. It is very, very not special. There's nothing wrong with it, great playing, great soloing, good enough singing, but unspectacular. 3/5

A typical song: Beware the Heavens
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyTGOvifFnA

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:02 am 

Opus wrote:
Sinergy - Beware the Heavens (1999)
I really dislike the term "background music". Music should be respected and listened to actively. That being said, this is the perfect background music album. It's very well made, and completely inoffensive.
With three songwriters of this caliber - Alex Laiho, Jesper Strömblad, Ronny Milianowicz - you would expect the music to be something special. It is very, very not special. There's nothing wrong with it, great playing, great soloing, good enough singing, but unspectacular. 3/5

A typical song: Beware the Heavens
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyTGOvifFnA

There's a word for that: boring

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:50 am 

But it's not boring either. It's more like mildly enjoyable.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:16 am 

Sinner - The Nature of Evil (1998)
This is an odd band. It's like the minor-league team for Primal Fear. Not only are they sharing members and songwriters with Primal Fear, they are also sharing songs. And they sound like... Primal Fear.
Although all the songs are good I can't help but think they would be better with Primal Fear. 4/5

A typical song: Trust No One
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb9IGC_8Cwo

Sinner - The End of Sanctuary (2000)
This really sounds like Primal Fear leftovers. A quite unnecessary album. Also, Mat has started using some sort of gravely voice that just sounds stupid. 2/5

The one song that's got a bit of character: Night of the Wolf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyhfpZeDYTA

Sinner - There Will Be Execution (2003)
Now they are trying to be "heavy", doing some sort of Metallica/Pantera sound and adding guitar squeals so annoying it would even bother Zakk Wylde. Mat is singing with a gravely and nasal voice that is even stupider than before.
If Sinner should have some reason for existing outside of Primal Fear, they should stick to a different sound, like the song below. A bit hard rockish. melodic type of metal. Tough guy Sinner gets a 2/5 from me.

This is what I would like to hear more of: The River
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzysJ1rKUAg

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:47 am 

^ Not sure which one of those covers is the worst (the music isn't much better either)

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:45 pm 

It's nice with a nice artwork, but it doesn't change the way I see the music really. These do the job, no more no less.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:46 pm 

Skanners - Flagellum Dei (2001)
Italian band, but there's nothing Italian about the music (except the singers accent). It's heavy metal, but I would say there's a lot of US power metal on this album. Great album all around. The drumming could have been better, but it's OK. 4/5

A typical song: Nightrider
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egmmMLpYbis

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:52 pm 

Note: I'm not including the lyrics in my ratings, just the music. I know it should be when talking about Skyclad, but I haven't been able to read the lyrics and I can't make out all the words while listening.

Skyclad - The Wayward Sons of Mother Earth (1991)
No folk metal here, just really well written speed metal with a fiddle occasionally popping up. (ok, there's the Jig song, but that's it.)
The songwriting is subtly unorthodox harmonically, but without sounding odd or weird. It flows very well but doesn't always go where you expect it to go. I'm not to keen about Walkyier's voice, but he sings well enough. 4/5

A typical song: Trance Dance (A Dreamtime Walkabout)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LuHTwoa6ak

Skyclad - The Silent Whales of Lunar Sea (1995)
Here they are merging the folky bits more, and I'd say the music is mostly straight heavy metal. Some good songs and some not so good songs. It's very close to a 3, but the album really picks up with the last four songs which cover a lot of ground, so 4/5 it is.

Funny how these lyrics are just as relevant thirty years later. Nothing really changes.
Still Spinning Shrapnel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIUeeY2QB5g

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:02 pm 

Skyclad - The Answer Machine? (1997)
This is great! Much more folk, lots of fiddles, mostly acoustic sounding. The new (session?) drummer makes a big difference. The rhythm section is tight as a Swiss watch. The vocals fit this mellower sound much better. 4/5

A typical song: Isle Of Jura
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn55IU5u1Yc

Skyclad - Vintage Whine (1999)
New drummer, and he is completely useless! Everything sounds messy. I don't know if they tried to take a punkish approach or if they just failed at recording. Whatever it is, I can't stand it. 1.5/5

A typical song: Bury Me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyGTTa1u4k8

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:27 pm 

The Lord Weird Slough Feg - Twilight of the Idols (1998)
No pocket whatsoever on this album. Everyone is out of time all the time. The riffs have so many notes and are played so fast and no one can keep up. And there are so many words! This is unlistenabe. 1/5

A typical song: Slough Feg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhPsWs6Y1TE

The Lord Weird Slough Feg - Down Among the Deadmen (2000)
Now they have at least figured out that's it's nice if everybody is together at least once in every bar. Big improvement. Still to damn busy and still no pocket. 2/5

Bring down the tempo and the amount of notes and it actually sounds good.
Psionic Illumination
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH4gaki8Dzo

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:10 am 

Both some of the best trad metal albums of all time. Can't disagree more! Don't care so much about being in or out of time I guess.

Dustroy_Troly
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:18 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Both some of the best trad metal albums of all time. Can't disagree more! Don't care so much about being in or out of time I guess.

Yeah, that was some of the nuttiest stuff I've ever read. Those albums are just heavy metal perfection. Down Among the Deadmen in particular is a top 5 of all time album for me.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:06 pm 

Seeing his taste in metal thanks to this thread it doesn't surprise me at all Opus doesn't like Slough Feg. Nobody's taste is perfect. Except mine of course, IMO.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:01 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Can't disagree more! Don't care so much about being in or out of time I guess.

What can I say, I like my heavy metal clean and precise. :p

Dustroy_Troly wrote:
Down Among the Deadmen in particular is a top 5 of all time album for me.

We all have different tastes, but top 5? Really?

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:03 pm 

The Lord Weird Slough Feg - Traveller (2003)
Much better production here. The drum sound is great and actually act as a foundation now. Quite a few good bits as well. The music is somewhat simplified (if that's a word that can be used in conjunction with Slough Feg) and more focused on hooks and "normal" melodies. Still a plethora of different riffs and melodies and parts that pops up and goes away seemingly at random. My biggest gripe with Slough Feg is that their musical language just doesn't agree with me.
Half a point bonus for being a concept album, about space no less. 3.5/5

A typical song maybe: Professor's Theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3CgaIJcne0

Slough Feg - Atavism (2005)
Now we get some real substance. I'm pretty much onboard now. Several really good songs here. I'm not too keen on the instrumentals.
It works really well with the short song lengths. They still manage to put in a couple of different bits in each song, and they make a comprehensible whole. The bassist is doing a good job keeping it all together nicely. 4/5

A typical song: Agony Slalom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBubiCmpIO0

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:06 am 

Adrian Maestas' bass really is great yeah, one of the main reasons why I rank Ape Uprising so high in particular because he really gets to shine on that one. When people talk about Slough Feg most of the attention goes to Scalzi (understandably) but they've always had a tremendous rhythm section that tends to pull my ears away from the lead stuff going on (in a good way).

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:18 pm 

It's way to rare that the bassist grabs your attention while not overplaying, which usually is the reason when it happens.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:18 pm 

Solitude - Virtual Image (2001)
I have no idea how or why I got this album, but somehow I did. An uninteresting EP from an unknown Japanese band. It's like one of those show reels that actors maks. First song is a standard metal song with ill-fitting screamed/growled vocals, then a groove metal song, a grunge song, two instrumentals and then another song. 1.5/5

The one song on youtube: Virtual Image
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzlQxmNAh9Y

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:51 pm 

Solitude Aeturnus - Through the Darkest Hour (1994)
Fantastic album by a fantastic band. I really need to get the rest of their albums.
This one is very, very much Black Sabbath in the riffing, but then they build something completely their own upon that. The singing is outstanding.
I don't really see that much likeness to Candlemass. They are indubitably different but equally great. 5/5

A typical song: Haunting the Obscure
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm3cpR3aoTw

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:40 pm 

Opus wrote:
Solitude Aeturnus - Through the Darkest Hour (1994)
Fantastic album by a fantastic band. I really need to get the rest of their albums.
This one is very, very much Black Sabbath in the riffing, but then they build something completely their own upon that. The singing is outstanding.
I don't really see that much likeness to Candlemass. They are indubitably different but equally great. 5/5

A typical song: Haunting the Obscure
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm3cpR3aoTw

Yeah they were never really that similar to Candlemass at all. There's a sort of early Fates Warning-like uniqueness on their first two albums but Robert Lowe has always maintained that Dio was his biggest influence. I could always hear a sort of convergence of Mercyful Fate and Black Sabbath in that riffing style John Perez and Edgar Rivera employed early on.
Did you need a protection amulet?

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:14 pm 

Spiral Architect - A Sceptic's Universe (2000)
When prog metal goes wrong. You won't believe what happens next! 1.5/5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHeOLmmZvQo

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next