Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:28 pm 

I see more ladies than I expected to at the last Cannibal Corpse show I saw, and there are ladies at Full Terror Assault every year, which is almost all thrash, death, and grind but still mostly dudes, just better than a Rush concert.

MorbidSaint69
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:30 pm 

Forever Underground wrote:
You know the reason on why it sounds like "by-the-numbers Swedish death" is because every swedish death metal band were inspired by them right?

Of course I always have this in mind when I diss LHP. My counter argument is that neither the Nihilist demos nor Carnage's "Dark Recollections, which pre-date it, have that "generic" sound to them, so even if they were making a landmark album they weren't kickstarting the whole movement.

I don't really think I should call it generic either, though, I just think it feels very "safe" even for a movement that was still in its infancy.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:39 pm 

MorbidSaint69 wrote:
You know the reason on why it sounds like "by-the-numbers Swedish death" is because every swedish death metal band were inspired by them right?

Of course I always have this in mind when I diss LHP. My counter argument is that neither the Nihilist demos nor Carnage's "Dark Recollections, which pre-date it, have that "generic" sound to them, so even if they were making a landmark album they weren't kickstarting the whole movement.

I don't really think I should call it generic either, though, I just think it feels very "safe" even for a movement that was still in its infancy.

Meh, it still feels like you're looking at it without actually considering the historical context. If it sounds "generic" compared to early Carnage and Nihilist, it's because most bands took influence from Left Hand Path, rather then early Carnage and Nihilist.

Saying LHP is "by-the-numbers" is like saying that Number of the Beast, or Under a Funeral Moon, or Master of Reality are "by-the-numbers" records of their own respective genres. They aren't. They were game changers and people plagiarized them so much it makes them sound "generic" to our 2024 ears, but that's just kind of... looking at them wrong.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:00 pm 

MorbidSaint69 wrote:

Left Hand Path came out nearly 6 months before Dark Recollections.

LHP - Recorded and mixed at Sunlight Studio, Stockholm, December, 1989.
DR - Recorded at Studio Sunlight, Stockholm, Sweden in February 1990.

MorbidSaint69
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:14 pm 

MetlaNZ wrote:
MorbidSaint69 wrote:

Left Hand Path came out nearly 6 months before Dark Recollections.

LHP - Recorded and mixed at Sunlight Studio, Stockholm, December, 1989.
DR - Recorded at Studio Sunlight, Stockholm, Sweden in February 1990.

I stand corrected, I had the dates mixed up in my mind.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:03 pm 

lennonlikesmetal wrote:
Lagartija wrote:
- I prefer 'Clandestine' to 'Left hand path'.
- I prefer Vomitory to Dismember.

Did you like Pieces EP or The God That Never Was?

I can't actually recall 'Pieces' at the moment, I'll revisit it, and yeah 'The god that never was' is ok but it can't touch the second, third or fourth Vomitory albums imo.

MorbidSaint69
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:21 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
MorbidSaint69 wrote:

Meh, it still feels like you're looking at it without actually considering the historical context. If it sounds "generic" compared to early Carnage and Nihilist, it's because most bands took influence from Left Hand Path, rather then early Carnage and Nihilist.

Saying LHP is "by-the-numbers" is like saying that Number of the Beast, or Under a Funeral Moon, or Master of Reality are "by-the-numbers" records of their own respective genres. They aren't. They were game changers and people plagiarized them so much it makes them sound "generic" to our 2024 ears, but that's just kind of... looking at them wrong.

I think you have a point, I don't think I phrased my initial criticism correctly. Let me put it this way: I feel like, on its own merits, Left Hand Path is not that interesting, musically, and thus most things that have been heavily inspired by it suffers from also not being as interesting (though that is not a fault of the album itself).

Now, do I feel this way because I'm approaching it outside of the context it originally came out in and comparing it to all the stuff I know came after? We'll never know. But if it means anything, Left Hand Path was the first Swedish death metal album I've ever heard. I hope that cleared up everything.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:24 pm 

Well LHP is a total ripping fucking classic. It steamrolls from beginning to end. But that said I do prefer Clandestine too, as it's got more melodic stuff going on yet doesn't forsake the heavy ripping riffs - I love that stuff.

Wolverine Blues is almost as good as both, too. A great rough and tumble rager.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:16 pm 

MorbidSaint69 wrote:
I think you have a point, I don't think I phrased my initial criticism correctly. Let me put it this way: I feel like, on its own merits, Left Hand Path is not that interesting, musically, and thus most things that have been heavily inspired by it suffers from also not being as interesting (though that is not a fault of the album itself).

That's fair. Regardless of how influential it was, I can totally understand why someone would argue that it wasn't ambitious enough. I enjoy Swedish death metal do a degree, but it never was the sound I favored the most in death metal.

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:22 am 

HeavenDuff wrote:
MorbidSaint69 wrote:

That's fair. Regardless of how influential it was, I can totally understand why someone would argue that it wasn't ambitious enough. I enjoy Swedish death metal do a degree, but it never was the sound I favored the most in death metal.

You know that I have ton of respect for you but that doesn’t mean nothing….

Nothing at time sound like LHP

Nothing….

What ambitious have Leprosy or Altars of Madness?

Change forever the world of extreme music like did Sgt Pepper or White album for pop,you can’t sound like Pink Floyd to be ambitious …

A total “stupid”album like Nevermind maybe have more ambitious of Obscura if you see from another point of view…

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:20 pm 

I tend to play Wolverine Blues more than the others when it comes to Entombed.

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:00 am 

SanPeron wrote:
I disagree man, this is not true. Most girls don't like death metal I think is very delusional to think that. Kalaratri and
Ace_Rimmer are right, at least for me, we have been a male dominated genre since the very beginning and in the extreme metal scene that disproportion of genders only increased.

Iam not saying that is good or bad, it's just a fact about our scene.

They do exist though. I know a woman who loves deathcore and slam and Tony Danza experiment kinda crap and thought Altars Of Madness was lightweight. (Then again, when it comes to Carcass she only liked Heartwork and thought Necroticism was too fast and thrashy).

Quote:
Metal is instead part of these bands’ convoluted creative schemes, where it’s either used like a comedic foil (Babymetal), as a musical garment in a theatrical production (Ice Nine Kills), or as a sort of sonic Instagram filter (Our Last Night), where the vague idea of metal is used to market a hunk of normie-millennial cultural detritus as something alternative.

This is so spot on you almost want to punch the computer screen and hope it breaks everyones jaw perpetuating it.

Period

The greatest post in M-A history:

~Guest 21181 wrote:
The Legions of the Teabagged:
vacantmind - DURR GOATSE IS FOONY (If you meet this guy, please pour hot lead down his anus).

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:22 pm 

On a social(without make name)I find tons of girls that like metal and expecially black metal

South Americans girls rules!!!!

Anyway in my life I don’t find a girl that like black metal(but i live in a small place)

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:59 pm 

Lee Harrison wrote:
HeavenDuff wrote:
MorbidSaint69 wrote:

You know that I have ton of respect for you but that doesn’t mean nothing….

Nothing at time sound like LHP

Nothing….

What about Autopsy?

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:19 am 

I know only that one of most famous songs of death metal is a rip off of Entombed riff that they didn't even bother to put it on their album except as a bonus track.

Non Euclidean
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:49 pm 

Lee Harrison wrote:
Mark of the Necrogram and Dawn of Damned are sinister and obscure albums simply requires an active listening….

Two masterpieces

I do love Mark of the Necrogram, but it's so far the last one that really excites me. I guess after that I feel like I've heard all their tricks.

Side note: I don't know why I keep wanting to call Dawn of the Damned "The Mirror Black." Probably in my head it just sounds like a better album title. Glad everyone knew what I meant though haha

ThStealthK
Indiana Jones

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:37 pm 

Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, King Diamond, Mercyful Fate, Megadeth, Slayer, Testament, Death, Deicide, Morbid Angel, Behemoth, Mayhem, Darkthrone, Gorgoroth, At the Gates, Dark Tranquility, Hypocrisy, Carcass, Children of Bodom, Slipknot and Avenged Sevenfold are real overrated bands regardless of flawless albums that each band has.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:46 pm 

ThStealthK wrote:
Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, King Diamond, Mercyful Fate, Megadeth, Slayer, Testament, Death, Deicide, Morbid Angel, Behemoth, Mayhem, Darkthrone, Gorgoroth, At the Gates, Dark Tranquility, Hypocrisy, Carcass, Children of Bodom, Slipknot and Avenged Sevenfold are real overrated bands regardless of flawless albums that each band has.

Considering several of those are some of the most foundational and influential metal bands in history that will be unpopular.

Who would you say is not overrated for example?

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:57 pm 

ThStealthK wrote:

You must study and repeat…

And associating certain names like last three is blasphemous…

in the Middle Ages there was the stake

Disembodied
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:21 pm 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
ThStealthK wrote:

Considering several of those are some of the most foundational and influential metal bands in history that will be unpopular.

I think it'll be more unpopular to say that Slipknot and Avenged Sevenfold have flawless albums.

Hardworlder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:43 pm 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
ThStealthK wrote:

Who would you say is not overrated for example?

Imagine claiming bands that literally defined the genre and in some cases sub-genres are overrated.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:34 pm 

I hate the word "overrated". It's just a vague (and usually so stupidly arbitrary) notion, and it usually just means "People like these bands more then I like them, so they are wrong."

And yeah... calling Black Sabbath, Maiden, Priest, Death, Darkthrone, Carcass overrated... it's pretty damn silly.

Hardworlder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:38 am 

HeavenDuff wrote:
I hate the word "overrated". It's just a vague (and usually so stupidly arbitrary) notion, and it usually just means "People like these bands more then I like them, so they are wrong."

And yeah... calling Black Sabbath, Maiden, Priest, Death, Darkthrone, Carcass overrated... it's pretty damn silly.

Agreed. It's absolutely (usually) just a cheap way to critique a band without actually critiquing them. I wish these people would just say "I don't like this band" or "this band just doesn't click for me". It's okay to say that.

^ this sounds harsher than I mean, I'm certain I've said those exact words myself before lol

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:14 am 

Overrated is just a polite word for bad. I think Black Sabbath with Ozzy were pretty bad but people tend to get really pissed off and defensive when I say it like that.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:46 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Overrated is just a polite word for bad.

I dunno. It's all relative/subjective.
For example, I think Priest's "Painkiller" is an excellent album. I quite like it...every song. There's no scenario in which I'd proclaim it being a 'bad' album.
But I question that amount of praise heaped upon it which, to my ears, is somewhat unwarranted / exaggerated.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:48 am 

HeavenDuff wrote:

Yeah, considering the influence of Black Sabbath and IMO Judas Priest are in most every metal band that came after them....how can they be overrated? Sure you can say you don't like them, that is fine. But overrated?

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:02 am 

Benedict Donald wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

For example, I think Priest's "Painkiller" is an excellent album. I quite like it...every song. There's no scenario in which I'd proclaim it being a 'bad' album.
But I question that amount of praise heaped upon it which, to my ears, is somewhat unwarranted / exaggerated.

No it’s underestimated…

It’s underrated wink

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:23 am 

Overrated is indeed an overused and misunderstood term. But I will say I haven't been pressed to spin anything by a lot of those really popular bands in a while. I can't tell you the last time I listened to a whole Judas Priest or Megadeth album new or old. Just so much other stuff I wanna check out and listen to instead.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:37 am 

Benedict Donald wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

That's what overrated actually means, yes. And that's how it should be used, but more often then not, it's just a way to say "I don't like this popular band/album".

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:39 am 

Overrated just doesn't tell me anything - that's just saying "I don't like it as much as others do." Which, so what? What else do you have to add to the conversation beyond that? Why are they not as good? It's just a weird way to frame it if you're not going to really go into anything else.

Benedict's post above seems like a more measured way - actually explaining the opinion anyway...

I think Maiden and Ozzy Sabbath are rated exactly as well as they should be. Tremendous stuff and I never get tired of it.

MorbidSaint69
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:53 am 

At this point I've taken to only call overrated bands that have been bad longer than they've been good (at least agreed by the general public). Because sure, they have masterpieces in their catalogue, but if they aren't really matching that quality ever again then they aren't that great, are they? In that sense, yes, bands like Cryptopsy, Deicide or Metallica are overrated. Doesn't make me like their good stuff any less, of course.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:27 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
I think Black Sabbath with Ozzy were pretty bad but people tend to get really pissed off and defensive when I say it like that.

Iam not pissed or defensive, but you have to admit that is a weird thing to say in a Metal music forum.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:51 pm 

There are only a few bands that I think have a discography without big dips in quality here and there.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:30 pm 

MorbidSaint69 wrote:
At this point I've taken to only call overrated bands that have been bad longer than they've been good (at least agreed by the general public). Because sure, they have masterpieces in their catalogue, but if they aren't really matching that quality ever again then they aren't that great, are they? In that sense, yes, bands like Cryptopsy, Deicide or Metallica are overrated. Doesn't make me like their good stuff any less, of course.

It’s always uncanny to me when somebody says that X band is the greatest of all time when they exclusively only care about the first 5-10 years of a multi-decade career. Bonus points for when that era just happened to be during the person in question’s formative years. Like wow, that band was only good when you were a teenager, what a funny coincidence!

Disembodied
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:31 pm 

SanPeron wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:
I think Black Sabbath with Ozzy were pretty bad but people tend to get really pissed off and defensive when I say it like that.

Iam not pissed or defensive, but you have to admit that is a weird thing to say in a Metal music forum.

Only because most metalheads lack the balls to say it. Because it's such a gatekept community we fear being excised from, the vast majority of us think that because it's a classic it must be good and I must enjoy it. Even if it's not and I don't. And even in an unpopular opinions thread.

MorbidSaint69
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:48 pm 

Disembodied wrote:
SanPeron wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

Only because most metalheads lack the balls to say it. Because it's such a gatekept community we fear being excised from, the vast majority of us think that because it's a classic it must be good and I must enjoy it. Even if it's not and I don't. And even in an unpopular opinions thread.

But it's either "most metalheads think it" or "I think it", you can't have it both ways. Most people say they're great because they genuinely think they're great. Like, I know perfectly well they're one of the bands I enjoy the most in the world. I respect you for having your opinion but let's remember that's, like, your opinion, man.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:56 pm 

Yeah I mean I'm not saying those old Sabbath albums are great just because I want some sort of nebulous respect of a community... like what you like, but come on lol.

Disembodied
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:59 pm 

You really think peer pressure isn't alive in our community? Isn't this thread evidence for it? And yes, it's only my opinion, but from my experience most of us (including me) are harboring opinions we think are too unpopular to be expressed. I mean, that should be common knowledge if we're really honest with ourselves.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:02 pm 

Disembodied wrote:
...most of us (including me) are harboring opinions we think are too unpopular to be expressed.

I find this incredibly difficult to believe, particularly when expressed on page 226 of an "Unpopular Metal Opinion" thread.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:04 pm 

Disembodied wrote:
SanPeron wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

The only thing that I agree with you is that saying that Black Sabbath Ozzy's era suck is an unpopular opinion, a really unpopular one. But I have to say that is also a pretty fucking dumb opinion if you ask me, much more if we are talking in a metal forum.

I really don't get the gatekept thing, I have always said in this forum that bashing nu metal and metalcore/deathcore is bullshit, I have never cared about people that don't think like that.

But if you think that Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Vol. 4, Paranoid and the homonymous first album are bad music or bad albums, I don't know why you would write in a metal forum in the first place. I can't connect with someone that doesn't appreciate a monster guitarist like Tony Iommi, I just don't get it, much more if you considered yourself a metal fan.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228, 229  Next